Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) (1333 Views)

Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department / Department Of Petroleum Resources DPR Salary Structure / The Role Of Human Resources Department In Organisations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by Nobody: 5:56am On Mar 01, 2019
In every other departments in the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan, the Position of the Head of Department is a tenure office, except for Nursing department. It was not so until Onianwa became the H.O.D of nursing more than a decade ago.

As a staff nurse in UCH, Onianwa had the opportunity to pursue her BSc, MSc, and even PhD within and outside Nigeria, with STUDY leave with full payment. And shortly after that she became the HOD. Shortly after becoming the HOD, the practice of study leave with full payment , which she enjoyed, was abolished among nurses in UCH. Thereafter, nurses who wish to further their career would lose their salaries while on study leave. Some nurses bore the brunt and went on study leave without pay, and pull through to have PhD, but the moment they are back from study leave, they are hurriedly transferred to the the school of nursing, University of Ibadan for lecturing, to avoid any form of rivalry with the HOD.

There was A time someone was appointed HOD to replace Onianwa, till date nobody could explain the administrative abraca dabra that led to the removal of the other HOD from office! And since then, nobody has the effrontery to contest for the office of HOD till date.

Nobody wields the power Onianwa displays in UCH. Even the Vice Chancellor, University of Ibadan leaves at the expiration of term of tenure, ditto for Chief Medical Director (CMD ) UCH; ditto for HODs of Surgery, Medicine, Paediatrics, Anaesthesia, Dentistry, etc.

I forsee the drama that would greet the removal of Onianwa, just like Alonge, whether by retirement, or nurses waking up from their slumber , or administrative repositioning by the incoming CMD, if the story is true.

ONIANWA,'S PROFILE :
Dr. (Mrs.) Patricia Obiajulu Onianwa was born on 19th October, 1964. She attended St. Maira Goretti Girls College, Benin City from 1976-1982. She thereafter proceeded to the Schools of Nursing and Midwifery of the University of Benin Teaching Hospital where she bagged her RN and RM certificates of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria in 1985 and 1988 respectively. In a bid to acquire more knowledge, she proceeded to the University of Ibadan for her Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree which she obtained in 1995. Thereafter, she bagged a Masters of Personnel Psychology from the University of Ibadan in 1997 and subsequently bagged her Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa in 2011.

Dr. (Mrs.) Onianwa was appointed as Staff Nurse in the Nursing Department with effect from 12th March 1989. She rose through the ranks to the position of Chief Nursing Officer with effect from 1st July, 2007 and was thereafter appointed as Deputy Director (Clinical Nursing) – Wards with effects from 11th January, 2011.

Many other nurses have these qualifications, if not more, today, but they dare not dream of becoming the HOD of clinical nursing until madam Onianwa leaves the stage!

ATTENTION :
I over-heard this story in a discussion among nurses while in UCH to see a friend, and I decided to dig into the issue. I want the nurses in UCH and other members of UCH community to refute or affirm this claim.

Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by Deomovies: 6:08am On Mar 01, 2019
Power obsession, this is more likely to my HOD as well In Department of Medical Laboratory Science COHT. Meanwhile, you can get Latest and Top Rated hundreds of Movies and Series in HD quality into your External drives and PCs at affordable prices. Lagosians, please help a bro today by patronizing, that's the best gift for Movies Junkies.
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by greenmonk: 9:42am On Mar 01, 2019
Deomovies:
Power obsession, this is more likely to my HOD as well In Department of Medical Laboratory Science COHT. Meanwhile, you can get Latest and Top Rated hundreds of Movies and Series in HD quality into your External drives and PCs at affordable prices. Lagosians, please help a bro today by patronizing, that's the best gift for Movies Junkies.
What is your problem. She's still below 60 years of age or you want her to retire before her due date?
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 02, 2019
greenmonk:

What is your problem. She's still below 60 years of age or you want her to retire before her due date?

This is a warped mentality.

By mere assessment of your opinion, it's obvious you have problem with the Use of English language, because your comprehension is poor. I doubt if you have also been privileged to either work or study in any organized public sector.

Let me enlighten you, in organized institutions, like Teaching Hospitals, Universities, etc, the position of Head of Department is tenured. It's not a position you stay till you retire, get fired or booted out or die. IF you attended university or any higher institution you would have noticed that.

For example, in the teaching hospital where I am , the tenure of HOD is four years for professors, and two years for doctors (PhD holders). It's not a lifetime position. I'm sure Onianwa was not the first HOD of Clinical Nursing in UCH. Someone was there before her.

And that's why I was alarmed when I heard her story. UCH is a huge health institution, and for such absurdity to be going on there calls, not only for concerns , but explanation as well.
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by greenmonk: 2:44pm On Mar 02, 2019
Ornament2003:

This is a warped mentality.

By mere assessment of your opinion, it's obvious you have problem with the Use of English language, because your comprehension is poor. I doubt if you have also been privileged to either work or study in any organized public sector.

Let me enlighten you, in organized institutions, like Teaching Hospitals, Universities, etc, the position of Head of Department is tenured. It's not a position you stay till you retire, get fired or booted out or die. IF you attended university or any higher institution you would have noticed that.

For example, in the teaching hospital where I am , the tenure of HOD is four years for professors, and two years for doctors (PhD holders). It's not a lifetime position. I'm sure Onianwa was not the first HOD of Clinical Nursing in UCH. Someone was there before her.

And that's why I was alarmed when I heard her story. UCH is a huge health institution, and for such absurdity to be going on there calls, not only for concerns , but explanation as well.
You that is expert in the use of English should go and remove her. Bad belly......
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 02, 2019
greenmonk:

You that is expert in the use of English should go and remove her. Bad belly......

This post is not for those who are eternally sold to slavery.
You don't have the minimum intelligent quotient required to comprehend what we are discussing here.

Caveats Emptor : This post is not for illiterates or boot-lickers.
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by greenmonk: 7:07am On Mar 03, 2019
Ornament2003:

This post is not for those who are eternally sold to slavery.
You don't have the minimum intelligent quotient required to comprehend what we are discussing here.

Caveats Emptor : This post is not for illiterates or boot-lickers.
You who is not an illiterate and bootlicker don't know how to tackle your problem in your organisation or don't have the liver but comes to a faceless forum to rant and proclaim your level of education when you can't even countribute anything to the growth of the country but your sense of entittlement as depicted by your incessant strike and agitation for increment in salary.
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 03, 2019
greenmonk:

You who is not an illiterate and bootlicker don't know how to tackle your problem in your organisation or don't have the liver but comes to a faceless forum to rant and proclaim your level of education when you can't even countribute anything to the growth of the country but your sense of entittlement as depicted by your incessant strike and agitation for increment in salary.

Grammatical Errror:

Don't say: You who ........but comes. ....

Say: You who..........but come. .....

Blockhead, I have told you this topic is not meant for educated illiterate. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) by kumbhuru: 8:30pm On Jul 19, 2023
Incredible

(1) (Reply)

Fcmb Apptitude Test / Urgent: Chartered Institute Of Purchasing And Supply Chain Mgt / A Fast Track Route To Becoming A Chartered Administrator(acia)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.