Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term (452 Views)

Saudi Arabia Executes 81 People In A Single Day / Algerian Students Protest In Thousands As Their President Seeks Re-Election / Palestinian Christian Leaders Denounce Trump's Decision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 02, 2019
Tens of thousands in Algeria have taken to the streets angry at 81-year-old President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's plan to seek a fifth term in office.

Police fired tear gas at protesters in the capital, Algiers.

According to authorities seven protesters and more than 50 officers were injured, with 45 people arrested.

Anti-government protests are rare in Algeria but several broke out after Mr Bouteflika confirmed his candidacy.

He has rarely been seen in public since suffering a stroke in 2013 and is currently undergoing medical checks in Switzerland
As they marched through the streets of Algiers on Friday, some demonstrators carried banners saying "leave means leave". Others stressed their intentions were peaceful.

"Twenty years are enough," said one woman, quoted by AFP news agency, who was joined by her husband and children.

Authorities reportedly arrested 45 people after clashes between police and protesters
"This is a celebration, not a protest," Ali Selmi told Reuters news agency. "We are celebrating Algeria's rebirth."

The president has been in power since 1999
Some protesters threw stones near the presidential palace and were driven back by police firing tear gas. Witnesses said there were injuries on both sides.

Demonstrations also took place following Friday prayers in several other cities in Algeria.

Mr Bouteflika came to power in 1999 and is credited with putting an end to a civil war that is estimated to have killed more than 100,000 people.

Protests against food prices and unemployment broke out in 2011 during the Arab Spring but he responded by lifting a nearly two-decades old state of emergency, meeting a key demand of protesters.

After his stroke he won re-election in a poll denounced by the opposition and dissolved the country's powerful spy agency, replacing it with a body loyal to him.

Critics say his ill health means that he is unable to perform his duties as president.

Despite the show of dissent, Mr Bouteflika is still widely tipped to win the election in April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47420485

Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 02, 2019
sad

Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by Chubhie: 10:05pm On Mar 02, 2019
Otoge in Algeria. Interesting times.
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by choice17(m): 10:05pm On Mar 02, 2019
Is obvious that the continent Africa has been cursed
One man ruling since 1999, and he is still clamouring for power. He has bad health, but greed won't allow him step down and savour his old age

May God help humanity
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by Donald95(m): 10:12pm On Mar 02, 2019
A black man will sing his praise while a white man will resist. That is the difference between a black man and a white man.
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by alphaNomega: 10:13pm On Mar 02, 2019
Bla bla bla... Bow before your supreme leader since you have refused to have sense.

7 terms?

Anyway the APC in Nigeria has a 50 year blueprint to remain in power and that will be a world record
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by dhestiney(m): 10:16pm On Mar 02, 2019
They could have simply waited for the election day to vote him out if they don't really want him na, is that not why elections are there? all these ones they are doing now is unnecessary in my opinion.
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by panafrican(m): 2:09am On Mar 03, 2019
I saw this coming
https://www.nairaland.com/5018645/fed-up-bouteflika-algerian-president

The next chapter will be a putsch if he does not step aside.
PS:
Bouteflika was among the coup leaders who overthrew president Ben Bella in the 1960s.
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by Ablemax(m): 2:18am On Mar 03, 2019
I know it not right to say dis hear but i ave no any other choice but to say it, plz fellow nl help for a job am not asking money from you but looking for what to do, i will be very greatfull if anybody in dis forum can help, am an O.N.D holder graudated with upper credit from school of environmental studies...09050210400 plz help me any were in port harcourt or any part of the country i can work there..
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by brainbox80: 3:07am On Mar 03, 2019
dhestiney:
They could have simply waited for the election day to vote him out if they don't really want him na, is that not why elections are there? all these ones they are doing now is unnecessary in my opinion.
THEY SHOULD BOOT HIM OUT NOW 'COS IT QUITE A SHAME THAT WE ALWAYS SEE THIS KIND NEWS HAPPEN IN AFRICA. SUCH MAN CAN RIG HIMSELF BACK TO POWER IF NOT STOPPED NOW
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by panafrican(m): 11:27pm On Mar 03, 2019
Ablemax:
I know it not right to say dis hear but i ave no any other choice but to say it, plz fellow nl help for a job am not asking money from you but looking for what to do, i will be very greatfull if anybody in dis forum can help, am an O.N.D holder graudated with upper credit from school of environmental studies...09050210400 plz help me any were in port harcourt or any part of the country i can work there..
Your best bet is GREENPEACE. An environmental group that has a lot of work to do all around the world especially in Africa where the environment is under threat.
Go to https://www.greenpeace.org/international/explore/about/
Find their contact and contact them. You could one of their top official somewhere in Africa. And it s big money too.
Once you get the job, let me know so we can celebrate.
Re: Photo.thousands Denounce 81 Yrs Old Algerian President's Bid For Fifth Term by Ablemax(m): 2:49pm On Mar 09, 2019
panafrican:

Your best bet is GREENPEACE. An environmental group that has a lot of work to do all around the world especially in Africa where the environment is under threat.
Go to https://www.greenpeace.org/international/explore/about/
Find their contact and contact them. You could one of their top official somewhere in Africa. And it s big money too.
Once you get the job, let me know so we can celebrate.

thanks bro wil apply soonest

(1) (Reply)

Liberian President, George Weah Suspends Press Minister, Eugene Fahngon For Fuel / Meet The First Two Former Undocumented Immigrants Elected To Congress / The Fall Of Egyptian President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.