Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

My Experience With INEC Officials - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Experience With INEC Officials (642 Views)

Vehicle Loaded With INEC Result Sheets Intercepted In Jalingo (photos) / Uche Secondus Expresses Dissatisfaction With INEC / Abdusalami Peace Committee In Closed-Door Meeting With INEC Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With INEC Officials by bakry86: 7:04am On Mar 03, 2019
Few weeks ago, I applied to serve as Assistant Presiding Officer (APO) at INEC office in Saki, Oyo State. When the list was out, only the names of INEC Officials friends and family members were pasted. As a matter of fact, I did not see a single person considered on merit - it's strictly based on WHO YOU KNOW!!.

Some of us who did not lobby were asked to attend training, that perhaps we might be considered if some of those on the list fail to show up for the training... I did! The 3-day training was very stressful but I was determined, hoping that my name would be on the new list.

When the list was released after training, it was surprising that the same list was pasted, only that they added other few names of their relatives who were not on the first list. It was outrightly based on WHO YOU KNOW and NOT WHO ATTENDED THE TRAINING!!!.

Again, we were told to come on Friday evening (day before the presidential/National Assembly) elections, that we might replace those who would not show up eventually. I did! I had a sleepless night. We slept at the RAC. I even worked with one SPO to the extent that I was sweating in a cold weather, arranging and distributing election materials. I even lost my phone in the process. Despite all that, guess what, I was not considered eventually. There was still favouritism even at the last minute selection. Perhaps some people have bribed the SPOs, EO, and the rest of INEC Staff members....

After all the struggle, I went back home the following day(election day), when they were about to leave for Polling Units.

Apart from favouritism in selecting the adhoc staff, another serious crime committed was the use of 2APOs instead of 3. INEC rules stated clearly that 3APOs should be used at each PU plus PO making 4. Why did INEC staff at the local Governments decided to use 2, and embezzled the allowance meant for APOlll

Surprisingly, it's very disheartening that the people who were replaced by the those who did not show up were not paid a dime!!! The claim of INEC officials was that they will only pay those whose names appear on their list because all the names are traceable to one staff member or the other. We even got to know that some fake names were deliberately inserted by the officials so as to claim more allowances.

Lastly, if INEC Officials could be this corrupt, how do we expect them to conduct credible elections

1 Like

Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by dominique(f): 7:08am On Mar 03, 2019
Do you know all the Friends and family of INEC members?
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by Corrinthians(m): 7:13am On Mar 03, 2019
dominique:
Lol. I wonder. Such claims are only borne out of a mind predisposed to negativity and nothing more.

We have a big problem in this country.
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by otokx(m): 7:28am On Mar 03, 2019
The OP is largely correct but what do you expect, it is still Nigerians that work in INEC.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 03, 2019
dominique:

Corrinthians:
Lol. I wonder. Such claims are only borne out of a mind predisposed to negativity and nothing more

He said this
The claim of INEC officials was that they will only pay those whose names appear on their list because all the names are traceable to one staff member or the other.
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by hisgrace090: 7:43am On Mar 03, 2019
Welcome to naija!!!
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by obaataaokpaewu: 7:55am On Mar 03, 2019
We have this "in born corrupt" tendency in us. Some one that earns salary no matter how big/small will still look for a way(always illegal) to augment the pay. Even the persons that want to depend solely on their salary will be frustrated by colleagues and subordinates and will have no other option than to give in. cry cry

1 Like

Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by bakry86: 10:15am On Mar 03, 2019
dominique:
I can confirm it to you categorically that every single person whose name appeared on the list was by knowing one official or the other.
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by bakry86: 10:18am On Mar 03, 2019
otokx:
The OP is largely correct but what do you expect, it is still Nigerians that work in INEC.

Sure,
I'm very sure that it's d same way across the nation. Nigeria is in a big problem.
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by bakry86: 10:19am On Mar 03, 2019
iAudio:

He said this

I swear to God that an official said it to our face
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by dominique(f): 12:05pm On Mar 03, 2019
iAudio:

He said this

How was he able to trace them? Does he know all the INEC staff and who they're associated with? He left that part out of his write-up.
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by Waladade4luv(m): 1:18pm On Mar 03, 2019
Believe me someone who was selected for the job will have his own side of the story too, because you were not selected doesn't mean you must condem the system, how many as hoc staff do they have in that local govt and how many relatives does each staff has, wey na only their family members go work, haba fear God na
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by bakry86: 4:14pm On Mar 03, 2019
Waladade4luv:
Believe me someone who was selected for the job will have his own side of the story too, because you were not selected doesn't mean you must condem the system, how many as hoc staff do they have in that local govt and how many relatives does each staff has, wey na only their family members go work, haba fear God na

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but is it not suffice to generalise when I personally know about 10 selected people and ALL of them were chosen by connection?
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by Waladade4luv(m): 5:05pm On Mar 03, 2019
bakry86:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but is it not suffice to generalise when I personally know about 10 selected people and ALL of them were chosen by connection?
Well as you said that's your own opinion and view about the whole thing, but I believe they can't have less than 500 ad-hoc staff their and you said u know of 10, and we don't know whether it's true or not but how many percentage 10 carries in let say 500 staff...am just being liberal anyway
Re: My Experience With INEC Officials by bakry86: 6:20pm On Mar 03, 2019
Waladade4luv:

Well as you said that's your own opinion and view about the whole thing, but I believe they can't have less than 500 ad-hoc staff their and you said u know of 10, and we don't know whether it's true or not but how many percentage 10 carries in let say 500 staff...am just being liberal anyway

Well, d fact that I want to analyse lagoon water does not necessarily means I should go there with tankers.... I only need little sample to represent whole.... #sampling

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Akpabio Plots To Replace Chief Of Staff, Abba Kyari / Professional Photography Training - Get Loan To Purchase Camera After Training / Breaking: Court Voids Adeleke’s Participation In Osun Gov Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.