Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Everything You Need To Know About Solar Panel - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Everything You Need To Know About Solar Panel (1025 Views)

Everything You Need To Know About SOLAR FREEZER / Everything About Solar Materials / Solar panel and inverter battery Now in Abuja | Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everything You Need To Know About Solar Panel by Basolenergy(m): 1:46pm On Mar 03, 2019
Everything You Need to Know About Solar Panels

As an enthusiast or advocate for sustainability, you are yet to understand how the PV (Photovoltaic) solar system works. How the silicon captures sunlight and converts it into electricity. Now you are making up your mind to adopt solar but you still in doubt about the efficiency of the solar system and how the PV (Photovoltaic) panels work. You are still in limbo about the criteria required by your property, home or business before going green. Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about solar PV system. Hope it helps you make your decision about going green.
Q: What do we mean by Photovoltaic (PV) system or solar power system?
A: The term Photovoltaic itself explains how the sun helps to generate solar electricity. The term was first used in 1890 and it comes from a Greek word “Phos” meaning light and “volt” meaning a measurement unit after Alessandro Volta, who was a pioneer in the study of electricity. Thus, in simple terms, photovoltaic is light-electricity. This is what photovoltaic panels and systems do; they convert the incoming solar radiation into usable electricity. They are usually mounted on the ground or on rooftops or any other structures in direction of the incoming sun ray to improve the overall performance of the system.
Q: How do we generate electricity from the sun?
A: The incoming sunlight consists of photons and these photons come with various amounts of energy, in correspondence to the different wavelengths of the solar spectrum. These photons are what the solar or PV panels use to generate electricity. Solar Panels consist of photovoltaic cells made with silicon which converts the photons in the incoming sunlight to electricity instead of heat. Each silicon cell within the solar panels has negatively charged free electrons usually placed on one side. When the sun falls on the panels, these electrons generate electricity which is usually collected and channeled. The current generated is then gathered by combining each solar panel together in series to form a solar photovoltaic array. However, the electricity generated at this stage is DC (direct current) which may be later converted to AC (alternating current) depending on the application or use.
Q: What do PV systems comprise of?
A: A PV system comprises of several components that function to generate electricity for any use. They include:
* PV Cells (modules) commonly known as solar panels
* Batteries (depending on energy demands of an individual) it is also known as energy storage system
* A charge regulator or controller for a stand-alone system
* Inverter for a grid-connected system and when AC (alternating current) rather than DC (direct current) is required
* Wiring
* Mounting structures and appliances
Q: How long can PV systems last?
A: A quality PV system that is well designed, installed, and maintained can last as long as 30 years. A major reason for this is that most PV systems have no moving parts as a result do not wear and tear. Therefore, the only way to ensure the longevity of your PV system is to get a quality brand, have it installed by professionals and properly maintained. Findings have shown that failures of PV systems are due to poor quality and amateur installations.
Q: How do I know I have enough sunlight for PV?
A: For maximum performance of the PV system, it requires uninterrupted access to sunlight for most or all the day. The PV system must be installed in a way that prevents it from shading from surrounding buildings or trees because shading can significantly affect the energy output of the system. On the other hand, climate may not be a problem for the PV system because high-quality PV panels perform better in colder weather conditions. Therefore, there is enough sunlight to make solar energy systems useful and effective nearly everywhere in the world.  However, for better optimization of the PV systems, it is advisable to seek the service of a solar consultant for better simulation and calculations.
Q: How much solar system do I need?
A: In the real sense, you can get as much as you want. However, a lot of factors can hugely influence the size of solar system required by an individual. Some of these factors include:
* How much electricity you consume in total
* Your roof size and available space
* How much you are willing to invest
* Do you want the system to cover all your energy use or to cover a higher portion of your energy cost?
However, it is advisable to seek the advice of a system designer or solar engineer to determine what type of system would best suit your needs.
Q: Why should I buy a PV system?
A: There are a lot of reasons why one should consider engaging in solar energy. Engaging in solar would greatly reduce global greenhouse emissions to the barest minimum, reducing global warming and making the environment safe and conducive. It can further help to reduce the energy bill paid to utility companies and by so doing, prevent the consequences of the future increase in electricity cost. It can also increase individual and group savings and incomes and create opportunities to grow and diversify. Furthermore, places with unstable power supply adopt solar energy due to its reliability. Finally, places, where the cost of extending power line is expensive, would prefer solar since it is a cheaper alternative.
Q: What is the cost of solar energy and how much will I save on utility bills?
A: The cost of a solar energy depends on a lot of factors, such as the system type whether it is a stand-alone system or it is integrated into the building design, the size of the system, how much energy do you wish to generate, the quality of the system, retailer, and manpower.
It is also difficult to determine how much you will save on your utility bills when using solar energy because savings depends on how much it costs to access electricity from your utility company and how much natural gas you use. Furthermore, savings is also dependent on if your utility will pay you for generating excess power from your solar system. Regardless, it advisable to seek information from your solar system provider on how much your new system will produce annually and compare that number with your annual electricity bill. That would give you an idea of how much you will save.
Q: What is net metering?
A: net metering is a system that allows households and businesses that generate their electricity using solar power to feed the electricity they don’t use back to the grid. Different countries have policies regarding net metering; however, in states that have passed the net metering law, utility companies may allow residents and companies to pay off their electricity bills with excess electricity generated from their solar system sent to the grid.
Net metering is simply a billing system that credit solar energy users for the electricity they add to the grid.  It is the difference between the amounts of electricity consumed by a user and what goes back to the grid. It is a way of accounting for the rate of electricity produced by the photovoltaic system.

Contact us for free assessment and quote

2 Shares

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Solar Panel by Basolenergy(m): 5:18pm On Nov 15, 2019
Keep your call coming in
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Solar Panel by MrsSandman: 8:23am On Jun 08, 2020
Hi dude, thanks for such a cool and informative post! I just got permission to use solar panels and I decided to install a solar panel on the entire perimeter of the roof. I bought panels but I was faced with the fact that I ruined one panel because I did not know how to connect it correctly. I broke one panel because of my own stupidity. As a result, after a long search, I came across the Guides4Homeowners website and there were a lot of cool tips for installing solar panels, and this helped me a lot, and in the end I was able to install solar panels!
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Solar Panel by corvell: 12:41pm On Jan 21, 2023
A solar panel is actually a collection of solar cells, which can be used to generate electricity through photovoltaic effect. These cells are arranged in a grid-like pattern on the surface of solar panels.But the question arises that Are solar panels worth it? The installation cost is heafty and many people are unable to afford it.

(1) (Reply)

SOLD- Redmi Note 5AI For Sale / CLEAN US USED 7TH GEN CORE I5 HP LAPTOP —SOLD / Price Reduced! Macbook Pro With Touch ID Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.