Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,127 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Nigeria @ 50: Invitation Letters Just Got Dispatched – Boycott By Heads Of State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria @ 50: Invitation Letters Just Got Dispatched – Boycott By Heads Of State (529 Views)

Entitlements Of Former Heads Of State And Presidents / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) / Jonathan Slashes N16.4 Billion Nigeria @ 50 Celebrations Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria @ 50: Invitation Letters Just Got Dispatched – Boycott By Heads Of State by pckid: 10:08pm On Aug 30, 2010
http://questionmarkmag.com/2010/08/nigeria-50-invitation-letters-just-got-dispatched-boycott-by-heads-of-state-vips-loom/

Indications are rife that the only a handful of the more than 100 Presidents and Heads of State and Very Important Personalities (VIPs) invited by the federal government to witness Nigeria’s golden independence anniversary celebrations would make it.

It is gathered that the Nigerian government had through invitation letters personally signed by President Goodluck Jonathan invited more than 100 presidents and Heads of government to Abuja for the ceremonies scheduled to climax on October 1, 2010.

However, some foreign diplomats disclosed that much as their Presidents would love to attend the epochal event, heads of their home governments were however constrained by what they said was the lateness in the invitation.

Said an ambassador: “I was invited by your (Nigerian) ministry of foreign affairs only last week and they handed me the very beautiful invitation letter to my Prime Minister personally signed by President (Goodluck) Jonathan. I saw several of my colleagues there trying to get their letters, too. Problem is, you don’t invite a President four weeks to such an event. Nigeria did not just realize she would be 50 next month. Such an invitation ought to have been dispatched at least three to four months in advance to enable the invitees tidy up, that is, if they actually wish to attend.”

The diplomat conceded that they had met with the then Vice President Jonathan last year at the “Glass box” in Eagle Square, Abuja, and that he (Jonathan) had intimated them on the golden independence anniversary celebrations next (this) year.

“Yes, President Goodluck Jonathan met with us last year in that bullet-proof box in Eagle Square. At the time he was the Vice President. Late President Yar’Adua was meant to meet with us, but then his illness had begun and his vice had to do it. Then Vice President Jonathan had appealed to us to identify with Nigeria at the occasion, but it is no fault of ours that the formal invitation is coming just about a month to the event,” he offered.

The diplomat added that the lateness in dispatching the letters of invitation aside, concerns would naturally arise on the part of the countries’ presidents invited on such issues as security and logistics.

“I know Nigeria has hosted me, http://questionmarkmag.com/2010/08/nigeria-50-invitation-letters-just-got-dispatched-boycott-by-heads-of-state-vips-loom/

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Seeks Support From Coalition Of Parties / No Plan To Attack Jos After Ramadan –plateau Cp / Boko Haram Sect Invades Bauchi Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.