Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria (26706 Views)

Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? / FG Hikes Vehicle Number Plate, Driving Licence Rates By 50% / Borno, Home Of Peace: Can You Spot The Irony Of This Vehicle Number Plate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by addictiv(m): 7:51pm On Mar 06, 2019
gypsey:
Why da hell would Anyone want to cover their plate numbers? Nigerians and Stupid behaviours.

What if you are in danger? how can your vehicle be Indentified?
so that they can carry out unwholesome practices, jump and drive against traffic, intimidate other road users and not be identified.
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by mascot87(m): 7:52pm On Mar 06, 2019
MistadeRegal:
undecided
Who else uses it except politicians?

I have a guy where I Previously work that uses it. He is neither a politician nor a police officer or even related to any. He just get liver and sometimes when some police officers catch him, he gives them money
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by MistadeRegal(m): 7:54pm On Mar 06, 2019
mascot87:

I have a guy where I Previously work that uses it. He is neither a politician nor a police officer or even related to any. He just get liver and sometimes when some police officers catch him, he gives them money

Suspect him.
tongue
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 06, 2019
addictiv:

so that they can carry out unwholesome practices, jump traffic, intimidate other road users and not be identified.
Really? And what if their cars get stolen? And i happen to see the thief, how would i Identify the Vehicle..
You know? here in England it's Against the law Not to make your car plate visible.
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2019
Innoxxacs:
says who? So far you have a nice ride and any how related to anyone related to anyone in office, or anyone holding a post in the ruling party in the state forget it! Even if na black nylon you see take cover the thing, and police won't disturb you Nada!!!

If only this will be truly implemented.

Nigerian police even after placing a ban on tinted, my guy still Rocks his car with black glass, so this will be just another 'town crying'

You need a permit for tinted glass, last I time I checked it was 3k

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by frankson1(m): 8:03pm On Mar 06, 2019
ictjobber:
Just like dey banned tinted glass... Yet people are still using it.

I build websites and I'm based in, See my signature / profile

The tinted glass is different. You get permit from the NPF before you can use it.
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by IMASTEX: 8:04pm On Mar 06, 2019
MistadeRegal:
undecided
Who else uses it except politicians?
I wonder oh
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by asawanathegreat(m): 8:05pm On Mar 06, 2019
All correct sir
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by addictiv(m): 8:05pm On Mar 06, 2019
gypsey:
Really? And what if their cars get stolen? And i happen to see the thief, how would i Identify the Vehicle..
You know? here in England it's Against the law Not to make your car plate visible.

The car has a plate number, just that it is covered. if its stolen you can identify it through the number or other features known to the owner. however most of these cars are usually official vehicles and I have never heard of a stolen official car.. never. its like thieves purposely avoid them.
There is no logic behind covered plates. Its because they don't want to be identified where they go, that's why they use it.
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by DigitalBot: 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2019
Nice move
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by mozona(m): 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2019
good one
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 06, 2019
addictiv:

The car has a plate number, just that it is covered. if its stolen you can identify it through the number or other features known to the owner. however most of these cars are usually official vehicles and I have never heard of a stolen official car.. never. its like thieves purposely avoid them.
There is no logic behind covered plates. Its because they don't want to be identified where they go, that's why they use it.
Right, It's still Ridiculous.Even the UK prime minister's plate number is Always Visible.

It's not just about car been stolen, It"s for All kinda security reasons..

As you have quite rightly said there is no logic in it.

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by nextnear(m): 8:27pm On Mar 06, 2019
AutoReportNG:
The acting Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Mohammadu Adamu has prohibited, with immediate effect, the covering of Vehicle Number Plates by all unauthorized vehicle users across the country.

Police spokesman, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Frank Mba, on Tuesday, said the IGP gave the order following intelligence report that the unwholesome practice may be deployed by some unscrupulous persons to aid the commission of electoral related offenses before, during and after the Saturday, 9th March, 2019 Gubernatorial/House of Assembly elections.

He said, apart from possible threats to the polls, the IGP also noted that the covering of Vehicle Number Plate amounts to a clear breach of the Road Traffic Act and other relevant laws of the land.

Mba further said the act could impact negatively on national security, safety and has the capacity to heighten criminal activities, engender an atmosphere of lawlessness, shield perpetrators of crime and place unnecessary pressure on security agencies in their routine crime prevention and monitoring tasks.

He said the IGP had directed all Assistant Inspector Generals of Police (AIGs) and Commissioners of Police (CPs) in the Zonal and State Commands to strictly enforce the restriction order at their various Areas of Responsibilities (AOR).

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/03/police-ban-use-of-covered-vehicle.html

i tire o, even U.S president cars self get plate numbers.
Why won't ordinary citizen cover numbers in Nigeria, when even Nigerian Presidential car self only have coat of arms as plate numbers.
Very wrong and disorganized nation. It's now even destabilized.

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Deepthoughts: 8:36pm On Mar 06, 2019
AutoReportNG:
The acting Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Mohammadu Adamu has prohibited, with immediate effect, the covering of Vehicle Number Plates by all unauthorized vehicle users across the country.

Police spokesman, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Frank Mba, on Tuesday, said the IGP gave the order following intelligence report that the unwholesome practice may be deployed by some unscrupulous persons to aid the commission of electoral related offenses before, during and after the Saturday, 9th March, 2019 Gubernatorial/House of Assembly elections.

He said, apart from possible threats to the polls, the IGP also noted that the covering of Vehicle Number Plate amounts to a clear breach of the Road Traffic Act and other relevant laws of the land.

Mba further said the act could impact negatively on national security, safety and has the capacity to heighten criminal activities, engender an atmosphere of lawlessness, shield perpetrators of crime and place unnecessary pressure on security agencies in their routine crime prevention and monitoring tasks.

He said the IGP had directed all Assistant Inspector Generals of Police (AIGs) and Commissioners of Police (CPs) in the Zonal and State Commands to strictly enforce the restriction order at their various Areas of Responsibilities (AOR).

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/03/police-ban-use-of-covered-vehicle.html

This is good n long over due,it shouldn't just stop there,all tinted glasses should be completely ban in Nigeria also,the distortion of number plates in whatever manner should also be banned,in the face of the growing security challenges been face in the country the police need to be really proactive n all suspicious attitudes need to be quickly checkmated.
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by cattylove7(f): 8:42pm On Mar 06, 2019
the reason why people use come their number plate is to hide their identity especially the government officials because armed robbers n kidnappers on the road can identify the number plate displayed n kidnap them that's is why they hide there number plate so you cannot blame people much for hiding their number plate www.cattylovegist.com
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by OlujobaSamuel: 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2019
simhost:
The word unauthorized has spoiled the whole order. Who has the authority? Why should people cover the number? Even the President should not cover the number.
You too see that word abi, I think sey na only me.
Btw, for those asking the purpose of using covered plate, it's meant to be for govt official cars. If the person to whom such vehicle is designated isn't in the vehicle, the plates need to be covered so any action of the driver or occupants won't be seen to be authorized by such official thus avoiding him of liability of his driver or occupants of the vehicle as at such period in time.
However, nothing wey we no dey abuse for naija, that's why every dick Tom and Harry can do anyhow and no one go challenge them.
Naptu2 can shed more insight on this.

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by teebaxy(m): 8:52pm On Mar 06, 2019
hubith:
What about the customized ones?

Those politicians should not be excluded
do u agree on pay after data ?
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by OnyesomJ(m): 9:34pm On Mar 06, 2019
Why Do They Cover Their Plate Numbers, Wetin dem dey Hide!!
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 06, 2019
Erm when did police become lawmakers?
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by princejones(m): 10:03pm On Mar 06, 2019
mascot87:

I have one guy like that who just bought a 98 Camry and cover his number driving around with deep tinted glass.He is neither a politician or a security officer and l us to wonder why he is covering his number
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by cardoctor(m): 4:51am On Mar 07, 2019
Egunje fever be dat
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Burgerlomo: 8:05am On Mar 07, 2019
But why do they allow it in the first place cool
Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by Realadey(m): 9:38am On Mar 07, 2019
How many times would police force ban this covered plate numbers, this is a lawless country where everyone does what he wants and likes anytime any day.
God bless this country!

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Use Of Covered Vehicle Number Plate Across Nigeria by JustJosh24(m): 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2021
Pls, what if I cover my plates with blue transparent protectors, is that okay
Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Buy This Mclaren F1 For N5.8 Billion? (photos) / Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? / Do You Prefer Some Old Models Cars To Their Successors?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.