Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

The Fear And Hope For Nigeria. Post Election Commentary By Ekwueme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fear And Hope For Nigeria. Post Election Commentary By Ekwueme (261 Views)

2019 Pre And Post Election Memes / Pictures From APGA Presidential Flag Off At Ekwueme Square Awka / Bishop, Minister Fight Over Ekwueme’s Missing £200,000 Medical Bill Refund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Fear And Hope For Nigeria. Post Election Commentary By Ekwueme by mrroy91(m): 7:29pm On Mar 06, 2019
FEAR AND HOPE FOR NIGERIA

Election have come and gone; victors jubilating, losers mourning and long litigation looming. It's all for Nigeria.

One thing that strikes me the most is that the victors are not jubilating because of potential for good governance, neither for credible elections nor for Nigeria's democracy rather for bragging rights. To them all is fair in war and they support any means their team employed to win irrespective of the future consequences. Congratulations for now but no thank you.
THE FEAR
The northern Igbophobia took a fearful dimension as amplified by Obiphobia of northern elites and which was passed to the veins of their mostly uneducated subordinates.
Nasir Elrufai started the venomous hate against Igbo through his relentless lies against Obi as a tribalist and a bigot, the narrative sprang up the Ahmed Bello's warning of Igbo's quest for dominance and suddenly the killings, maiming, abductions, poverty, hunger, deaths, starvations etc became secondary, they instigated a primary motive of never allow an "nyamiri" to have the opportunity of leading Nigeria, to them Obi's vice presidency is a luxury they couldn't afford because it could lead to presidency therefore they chose to pay any price to stop that from happening even if it means more death, more starvations, more militia herdsmen, more bokoharam etc once it keeps Obi/Igbo out of Asorock it's a divine sacrifice.
Atiku did not lose in the core north because of the looter propaganda neither did Buhari win with such a margin because of his fake integrity. The core variable was Igbophobia/Obiphobia.
* The Inec role, security apparatus and massive voter inflation will be for another day.
It's fearfully worrisome that a people could allow what's happening in the north to continue because of phobia for fellow citizens. The mandate coup might have stopped a possible pogrom.
We await the outcome of the litigation.

THE HOPE
This election gave massive hope that the next decade will usher in new breed of political understanding and cohesion in the south courtesy of our Yoruba neighbours. Yoruba made a very loud political statement that is widely underrated and unappreciated. For the first time since the ethnicisation of Nigeria, an ethnic group voted massively for a joint ticket that didn't have one of their own in it and for a party that is not the ruling party in their zone. What a massive breakthrough.
When you consider that all the six governors in the southwest is of APC, all the states apparatus and machinery is for APC, all the federal mights and apparatchik is for APC , the bourdillion bullion vans, the bird that couldn't fly because of cash overload and yet they voted PDP you will realise that this is an uncommon nationalism at display.
The Yorubas' had a very good and tempting reasons to ethnicise the election but they chose otherwise, please ignore the political jobbers and contractors who could do anything to keep their job including fanning the embers of discord and sowing the seeds of ethnic divisions. They are in every tribe and the Yoruba faction does not in anyway represent the entire Yoruba nationality, they spoke and showed it with their votes.

This brings me to voter intimidation and suppression in Lagos, what transpired in Lagos was an outright display of cowardice by the perpetrators and their sponsors, it was a political thuggery instigated by a cabal that is sharply losing the grip of their colony, please my fellow Igbos that has nothing to do with the entire Yoruba race, it has nothing to do with hate, Yoruba don't hate Igbo. We have our misgivings and differences here and there but it's not hate, it's ideological differences which is natural. Don't give the minions that perpetrated the tragedy the satisfaction of achieving their aim of divide and rule, they don't care about any race, all they care about is their political positions and protection of their empire. Please look beyond the headlines.
The Yoruba race is my MVPs in this election.
Ekwueme Roy Ifeanyichukwu

(1) (Reply)

I Will Do More In My Second Term –buhari / Buhari-"i Will Try And Work Even Harder Than I Have Done" / EFCC Intercepts Huge Cash For Alleged Vote-buying In Makurdi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.