Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,189 members, 7,845,902 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Unknown Campaign Coordinator - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unknown Campaign Coordinator (578 Views)

El-rufai’s Campaign Coordinator Murdered / Jonathan's Campaign Coordinator Dumps PDP, Joins Buhari / We Will Overrun PDP In 26 States – Buhari Campaign Coordinator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unknown Campaign Coordinator by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 31, 2010
Nigeria mystery over 'Balewa impersonator'
By Caroline Duffield BBC News, Lagos

There is controversy in Nigeria about the identity of a man linked to the president who was kidnapped and freed in a dramatic rescue over the weekend.

Jhalil Tafawa Balewa, a key political ally of President Goodluck Jonathan, was abducted from his home on Friday.

It provoked widespread shock because he was believed to be the son of Nigeria's first Prime Minister, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, who was assassinated.

But after his rescue, the Balewa family told BBC he was not related to them.

The man was trying to campaign for Mr Jonathan ahead of elections due early in 2011, even though the president has not said whether he intends to stand.

Police left nothing to chance to free a man widely believed to be the son of the country's first prime minister.

The gunpoint abduction of President Jonathan's political ally sparked a police operation ending in gunfire, deep in forests outside the capital.

"We staked out the forest undercover," says police spokesman Moshood Jimoh, describing the dramatic kidnap and twilight rescue.

"There was an arrangement to pay the ransom. Secretly, we were there."
Emotive issue
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

He is neither the nephew, neither the son, neither the grandson of my father”

Saddik Abubakar Tafawa Balewa

The victim was high-profile. Not only was he the leader of a sensitive campaign to drum up support for Mr Jonathan to stand for president next year, he also bore a revered name.

For those old enough to remember "The Golden Voice of Africa", Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa's name and his 1966 assassination evokes emotion.

So no resource was spared to ensure his safety.

But the sting operation, a shoot-out and the captive's rescue were just the beginning of a strange series of questions.

"He is not one of us," Saddik Abubakar Tafawa Balewa told the BBC, after the operation.

"He is neither the nephew, neither the son, neither the grandson of my father," the fourth son of late Sir Abubakar said.

"I am sorry to hear of anyone being kidnapped, but the time has come to be clear."

He said he spoke on behalf of the family: "He is not a member of our family, either by blood or by marriage."

He described how the Balewas had met the man several times, trying to establish his identity.

"We first heard of a person from America, going around the corridors of power, claiming to be a grandson. After that, he said he was a son," he remembers.

The family say they repeatedly asked for evidence, including DNA evidence, but none has been forthcoming.

Saddik Tafawa Balewa declined to speculate further, saying only: "We, as a family, feel exploited."

In 2008, the extended Balewa clan took out newspaper advertisements distancing themselves from Jhalil Tafawa Balewa.
'Goodluck For All?'

Political insiders are now scrabbling for information about the mystery kidnap victim of whom so little is known, and questioning how he secured such a sensitive role.

"You can't make mistakes like this," one long-time observer said, in disbelief.

No political adviser to the president has been available for comment about Jhalil Tafawa Balewa's identity.

He leads "Goodluck na Kowa", meaning Goodluck For All in Hausa, the language of the country's north.

The group is trying to grow support for the president, precisely where he faces his fiercest resistance.

With elections barely five months away, there is no word on whether the president will run, and he is severely hampered by his southern roots.

Nigeria's current political climate makes it almost impossible for any northern figure to support the president, and politically, the lure of the Balewa name may have seemed a gilt-edged opportunity.

For some, the explosion of unexpected questions over the man claiming the Balewa name are as revealing as they are fascinating.

"It all shows lack of experience, a sense of desperation," one analyst told the BBC.

"You need to know when you're being taken advantage of. How many more people are doing this to Jonathan?"

In the meantime, the main question echoing around Abuja is: "Who exactly is Jhalil Tafawa Balewa?"

time to rebrand myself as ojukwu's first son  cheesy cheesy cheesy

lets get that money
Re: Unknown Campaign Coordinator by DisGuy: 5:44pm On Aug 31, 2010
You need to know when you're being taken advantage of. How many more people are doing this to Jonathan?"

he he he all these fake endorsement for Mr president, madam Dora isnt saying much and funny how the obese onnovo is not doing anything too!!
Re: Unknown Campaign Coordinator by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 31, 2010
oyb:

time to rebrand myself as ojukwu's first son cheesy cheesy cheesy

lets get that money

Abi oh!!! At least that will give you bragging right to claim that you can mobilise South East for Jonathan. That way you will make your cool doe as a lot of folks are making now and then on the eve of election you go just blow.

Jonny Boy yansh go just touch for ground  grin grin grin
Re: Unknown Campaign Coordinator by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 31, 2010
Abeg make una tell them o,i'm also related to Abacha.stup!d people.
Re: Unknown Campaign Coordinator by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 31, 2010
i seem to remember reading a looong list of the man's qualifications , though i can't seem to find them anymore - all i can find now i medical doctor/ business man - i could have sworn i saw d of nuclear physics or some such in an article somewhere .
Re: Unknown Campaign Coordinator by chosen04(f): 6:18pm On Aug 31, 2010
The way every TOM, D.!CK and HARRY are campaigning for Jonathan . . . . . . . . . . . .I see danger!
Re: Unknown Campaign Coordinator by Gbawe: 6:22pm On Aug 31, 2010
Chineke !!! An "endorser" of Jonathan turns out to be another "chop your dollar" opportunist looking to profit from the current biggest get -rich-quick scheme in town ? What else is new in the camp of desperate Jonathan? Totally embarassing school boy error by Jonathan that glaringly indicates that Mr.President is completely desperate to buy "big name" support .

Chei, a whole President being 41.9ned lie this  grin grin Nigerians audacious no be small  sha grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Ibb Here For The Youth / 2011: Why Your Preference ? / Saharareporters:you Knew Your Husband Was Dishonest, Court Tells Ibori’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.