Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,583 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty (9452 Views)

Deborah Samuel's Killers Faced Camera, Bragged And Held A Matchbox – Amnesty Int / Nigerian Lady Who Survive Fatal Accident, Exceed Expectations, Shares Testimony. / 10 Nigerian Women Who Gruesomely Killed Their Husbands (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by References: 3:59pm On Mar 08, 2019
The Nigerian authorities are continuing to fail thousands of women who fled Boko Haram controlled areas, almost a year after an Amnesty International investigation revealed patterns of abuse by the security forces, the organization said on International Women’s Day.

Many of these women still struggle to access food and other basic items in camps for internally displaced persons and are restricted from leaving. Those who speak up about their ordeal face harassment from government officials, particularly the Borno State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA.

The combination of movement restrictions and lack of assistance leaves them at increased risk of sexual exploitation by members of the security forces, present in and around the camps.

“It is unacceptable that women who survived the brutal reign of Boko Haram are still being denied their rights. We have long documented that women are being made to exchange sex for food and livelihood opportunities by members of the security forces just to survive and feed their children,” said Osai Ojigho, Director of Amnesty International Nigeria.

“Last year we issued a report which documented patterns of rape, starvation and arbitrary detention by the security forces, but the government and military shamefully dismissed the findings. A follow-up with the survivors shows they are on the verge of losing hope of ever getting justice, with previous promises of investigation leading nowhere. However, they will not give up.”

“We are also calling on the senate of National Assembly to fulfil its pledge to investigate concerns raised in our report “They Betrayed Us” so that survivors can get justice” said Osai Ojigho.

Recent investigation by Amnesty International shows that some of the women confined to camps in the Borno state capital of Maiduguri still have no access to adequate food assistance, and are battling with hunger and malnutrition.

In many cases, their situation is made more precarious by the ongoing detention of male family members; thousands of men were arbitrarily detained or subjected to enforced disappearance as they fled intensified fighting from late 2015 onwards. Many of these women do not know whether their husbands are dead or alive.

“The arbitrary detention by security forces of what may still amount to thousands of men is unlawful under international human rights law,” said Osai Ojigho.

“The failure by the authorities to provide a mechanism for family members of detainees to obtain information on the whereabouts and well being of their relatives, and the denial of information to those who approached the military for information, has caused mental suffering that constitutes ill-treatment under international human rights law.”

Amnesty International is also calling on authorities to investigate credible allegations of rampant corruption made by those affected at internally displaced persons camps.

There were protests at the Shettima Ali Monguno and Teachers Village camps in Maiduguri in February over lack of food, ill-treatment and corruption.

“The Boko Haram conflict forced thousands of women to live in squalid conditions in internally displaced persons camps. It is the responsibility of the Nigerian authorities to protect them and bring to justice all those suspected of exploiting them.”

https://dailynigerian.com/women-who-survived-boko-haram-still-face-abuse-neglect-amnesty/
Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by References: 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2019
People get free from those savages, then allegedly meet another set of savages who instead of protecting them,violates and starves them.....

The FG must make sure those beasts are found out and then dealt with...

3 Likes

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by MudRaker: 5:11pm On Mar 08, 2019
I have given up totally on the north and even the Christian minorities there.

I am only interested in ensuring the SS and SE don't become foolish like the SW which is just one Allah akbar to being a colony of Sokoto.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by hisexcellency34: 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2019
Amnesty International is Boko Haram sponsor and supporter

1 Like

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by Innoxxacs: 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2019
shey na una give the Highest votes fa?
Your problem.... Is your problem

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by ictjobber: 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2019
Nigeria My Country...
............. If only i was allowed to choose my country when i was still unborn

I build websites and I'm based in Abuja, See my signature / profile

2 Likes

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by asawanathegreat(m): 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2019
She is technically defeated

1 Like

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by Innoxxacs: 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2019
hisexcellency34:
H
FOR his excellency

1 Like

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by FManager(m): 7:08pm On Mar 08, 2019
Dumbhari angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by grandstar(m): 7:13pm On Mar 08, 2019
Simply send female NGO's to these camps and let them have a permanent residence there or alternatively appoint Ekwesilisi in charge of those camps. That would solve the abuse of work en
Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by Caleboha(m): 7:20pm On Mar 08, 2019
Whenever I see or hear a PMB fanatic complaining I just relax and enjoy. I ridicle those begging on the streets, I scorn at those who complain about hunger at the work place. I laugh when I see them fail to meet up with their financial obligations. I just watch when they take their sick to the hospitals and can't pay any bills..... Im always excited to remind them that it's their darling PMB in power. It is funny that the weakest and most down trodden of the Nigerian society voted enmasse for continued hunger suffering. Now these ones say they are not being taken care of.... They should enjoy the ride biko!

5 Likes

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by IbrahimDamola: 7:29pm On Mar 08, 2019
How is it the business of southerners, why not write it in Hausa so that your fellow abookiss can understand your ordeal?
Go and give sai baba 10 billion votes in your IDP camps, but stop disturbing our ears here in the south.

The last election have proven that you core northerners are not ready for prosperity.

Next news!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by hisexcellency34: 7:30pm On Mar 08, 2019
Correct guy

Innoxxacs:
FOR his excellency
Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by utytill(m): 7:44pm On Mar 08, 2019
May their help comes soonest.
Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by Greenbirth: 7:47pm On Mar 08, 2019
MudRaker:
I have given up totally on the north and even the Christian minorities there.

I am only interested in ensuring the SS and SE don't become foolish like the SW which is just one Allah akbar to being a colony of Sokoto.

nice bro

2 Likes

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by Xisnin(m): 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2019
Innoxxacs:
shey na una give the Highest votes fa?
Your problem.... Is your problem
How do you expect someone living in fear to vote?
Those figures from North East are inflated.

1 Like

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by lastempero: 8:09pm On Mar 08, 2019
If these Hausa people no kill Nigeria them no go rest.

1 Like

Re: Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse - Amnesty by Lymasaba(m): 10:49pm On Mar 08, 2019
IbrahimDamola:
How is it the business of southerners, why not write it in Hausa so that your fellow abookiss can understand your ordeal?
Go and give sai baba 10 billion votes in your IDP camps, but stop disturbing our ears here in the south.

The last election have proven that you core northerners are not ready for prosperity.

Next news!
What u r saying is that they should have give atiku(the magician from Cameroo) ba ..I understand you grin

(1) (Reply)

Police Kill 23 Suspected Terrorists, 37 Others Arrested In Sokoto / NAPTIP Shuts Down Jos Orphanage Home Where Two Children Were Sold For ₦140,000 / Picture Of The Young Mans Dick Bathed With Acid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.