Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? (1459 Views)

Please Am In Need Of A Job.....help Me / I Finaly Got A Job, Help Me Praise God / I Got Access Bank Job Through Nysc! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by mamto: 9:45pm On Apr 25, 2007
I Have Gotten Oceanic Bank Job

Hello my ever immaculate and resilient Nairalanders. Please I need your help with utmost cooperation. I am an electrical and computer engineer by profession, and it so happens that i have strong passion for either telecommunication, information technology or power system to work with.

However, it so happened that i apply for oceanic bank online flippantly, they called me for an aptitude test, i passed. They later called me for interview and i passed. They subsequently called me for medical test accompanied by appointment letter.

Please, how does banking job looks like. And also can I get my job satisfaction with banking. Or how can i make it so that if i am with them i can be able to look for other opportunities i find online.

Is it true that banking job is a stepping stone in regards to life organization? Thank you my mentors.
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by DisGuy: 12:46am On Apr 26, 2007
congrats

what position did you apply for?
what position were you offered?

how do people apply for jobs they know nothing about or dont even like? undecided
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by crito(m): 3:01am On Apr 26, 2007
congrats. smiley
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by spoilt(f): 4:48am On Apr 26, 2007
grab the bank job with both hands and both feet. use it as a stepping stone. at least you get to eat well while looking for what you really love.
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by profade1(m): 7:03am On Apr 26, 2007
Look, just take the job. I know that oceanic bank pays well and you can easily make contacts to move on in life later on.

I know several people that have done that.

And the pay is good in the bank.

I should know. I am talking from experience. grin
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by DewDrop(f): 7:37am On Apr 26, 2007
[center]Congrats mamto!
Before you jump to banking,
you have to be able to answer the question you posed to us
"can I get my job satisfaction with banking"
Only you can answer that!
What position were you offered?
If you were offered a job in marketing with your background-
you don't need us to tell you that you might not be happy.

Forget the salary, think of what you'd want to do.
It could be a stepping stone if your career goals are in banking
It's your life, decision but always look before you leap
So you don't find yourself looking for a new job in 3 months!

P.S. I have a friend who works for that particular institution and he works
on average 7am - 7pm, And on saturdays too!
If you're currently unemployed, take the job just to have income coming in
but if you are somewhere you like outside of banking, think long and hard before you take the job
A new job comes with new challenges that may be unique to you, your bank, your unit.
cool[/center]
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by Elgaxton(m): 12:00pm On Apr 26, 2007
Hey! I think Oceanic Bank is not bad for a start, I don't why pple always complain about time when it comes to banking,

what do they wanna do with their time after all they 've been idle for months if not years,

so enjoy the bank @ least 180grand is not bad for

a start in life!! in 9ja
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by 1forall: 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2007
What position is it anyway?
Do you need the money {is it better than what u currently get}?
Can you handle the routine?
Will it make u happy?

You decide
No one but you can answer whether you'll find job satisfaction there pal

elgaxton they don't earn that much anymore for the 1st year, or so I heard from smwhere on this forum
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by jumiek: 1:21pm On Apr 26, 2007
Congratulations to you on your appointment. Then to answer your question, I believe there are prospects for you in the banking industry with regards to your course of study. Your appointment will expose you to different banking operations out of which IT is a major one. With the advent of electronic banking amongst other IT operations, you are bound for the top. To me, you have gotten a place to explore your potentials to the utmost level unless, you have some other reservations.
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by DisGuy: 7:31pm On Apr 26, 2007
jumiek:

Congratulations to you on your appointment. Then to answer your question, I believe there are prospects for you in the banking industry with regards to your course of study. Your appointment will expose you to different banking operations out of which IT is a major one. With the advent of electronic banking amongst other IT operations, you are bound for the top. To me, you have gotten a place to explore your potentials to the utmost level unless, you have some other reservations.

I doubt that! even with the advent of electronic banking data entry is not exactly the pinnacle of an IT career
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by fabiyi: 8:09am On Apr 27, 2007
I thank God for you because it is a turg of war to get a better job in Nigeria today no matter your grade even  first-class products are not excluded.
For you to have chosen a career in banking sector, you have taken a right step whether  your love career is IT or Engineering. There is IT department in every bank and you can be relevant there. If you are not currently employed in IT department, do not worry as Oceanic bank is a good bank that is not stressful unlike others. You can cross later just get in to the system first and you find your way.
I will not deceive you, the Almighty oceanic bank has always been my dream bank. So take the offer letter with all your strengths. Cheers!!
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by segedelove: 11:08am On Apr 27, 2007
Well its nice and ur lucky but do you have a good degree?
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by othuke: 12:26pm On Apr 27, 2007
Well, my advice is that u should grab the job and see how u can find ur way to the IT dept of Oceanic Bank. However, if it is not possible , i would advice u keep on studying for professional exams in IT(cisco,oracle,Microsoft). This would help u to remain focus on IT while still working in d bank. so when d opportunity comes for u to move on to telecomms,Energy or ICT firms, u would fall to ur knowlegde in the IT dept or technolgies u would have learnt on ur certifications. Take kia

Fellow IT Engineer like u.
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by olokun(m): 5:50pm On Apr 27, 2007
congratulation to you mama to.
Can any one in the house help me.I have a guy.He studied ''ENVIRONMENTAL AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT''.He want to do IT but he is looking for where to do it.
I want you people to help me please.He really need it now.Thanks
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by CFPhilip(m): 5:58pm On Apr 28, 2007
its obvious that u have taken a decision already otherwise u won't even apply to a bank in the first place let alone write the test, do the interview, go for medicals. common brother just keep it up and obey your inner mind. u are not the first engineer in the bank and u won't be the last. so go grab your appointment letter. banking may be your true calling and who say u can't be in IT dept ! congrats.
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by lastborn6(m): 12:29pm On May 03, 2007
am happy for u.all u need to do is to find ur way into the I.T dept.u find it challenging working in a bank
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by mamto: 2:27pm On May 05, 2007
Thank you very much for sharing positive advice as regard to my poser.Thank u all for ur advice. We shall meet at the top
Re: Will This Unexpected Bank Job Help My IT Career? by Getimi(f): 6:26pm On May 05, 2007
I SAY A BIG CONGRATULATIONS,to you,

pls where did u do ur interview, like i also did my interview in oshogbo and yet to hear from them,just wondering how long it will take them to call after interview.

(1) (Reply)

Cham Plc / Engine Room (cadet) Interview...pls What Should I Expext? / Invitation For NIMC Make Up Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.