|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,885,994 members, 6,934,830 topics. Date: Monday, 27 June 2022 at 12:29 PM
Nationwide Recruitment For Consultants At Kaizen Institute / Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) Recruitment For Consultants, / Federal Inland Revenue Service Recruitment For Consultants 2017 (2) (3) (4)
|Uk-aid/propcom Maikarfi Recruitment For Consultants by iresearcher(m): 10:13am On Mar 09, 2019|
Terms of reference for: Market Analyst and Business Development (with experience in the energy sector)
Propcom Mai-karfi (PM) is a market-driven programme funded by UK aid which aims to reduce poverty in
northern Nigeria by intervening in markets that matter the most to poor households. Partnering with the private
sector and government agencies, Propcom Mai-karfi uses a ‘making markets work for the poor (M4P)’
approach to create systemic changes in agricultural and rural markets in northern Nigeria so that poor people
get a better deal for their businesses and have access to vital goods and services. During its first phase which
ran from 2012 to 2017, Propcom Mai-karfi raised the incomes of 628,000 poor men and women in northern
Nigeria by a cumulative NGN 9 billion. The programme also stimulated more than NGN17.6 billion in private
sector investment into the rural economy.
Now in its 3-year extension phase which runs till March 2021, PM is focused on post-conflict market
development and climate smart agriculture initiatives in 9 states of north (Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe,
Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Taraba and Yobe), as well as continuing markets for the poor interventions in the DFID
partner states of Jigawa, Kano, and Kaduna. During this phase, the programme aims to increase the incomes
of an additional 350,000 rural poor people by 2021.
Early in 2018, PM supported a private sector partner by investing to set-up fabrication sites in Jigawa and
Adamawa states and facilitating awareness creation by developing a marketing strategy and conducting
marketing campaigns (radio jingles, market storms and demonstrations, talk shows and cooking
demonstrations) for improved efficiency cook stoves in rural households of Northern Nigeria. The aim was to
provide a sustainable solution to the energy needs of rural households, contribute to the mitigation of Green
House Gases (GHGs) and reduce deforestation. These fabrication facilities have been up and running and the
partner has been able to engage with the market to produce and sell stoves, either subsidized or at full
commercial price. Till date, only about 10,000 stoves have been sold (over 80% at a subsidized price to rural
households). Assumptions regarding uptake of improved efficiency cook stoves by target beneficiaries have
proved incorrect; the stoves produced by PM’s partner are amongst the cheapest on the market, yet the rate
of uptake remain low. Also, there are indications that awareness is relatively low, and the targets may not be
the very rural poor who would rather utilize materials within their community to improve fuel efficiency.
At this point, PM wants to undertake an evaluation around who should be target beneficiaries, assess the
business viability and marketing strategies for reaching the poor with improved efficiency cook stoves; and
seek multiple private sector partnerships to drive the intervention across programme states.
PM is seeking a market analyst with business development experience in the energy sector to conduct a
market analysis to identify the market opportunities and potential partners for the supply and marketing of
energy-saving cook stoves in the 9 Northern states of Nigeria.
- Review PM current strategy
- Map out producers and suppliers of improved/clean cook stoves in Nigeria; brands, product features,
price, their business model (or distribution chain and reach, promotional activities) and the perceived
or known end users of the products
- Sample major state distributors to determine the level of awareness for improved cook stoves and
their customer profile
- Identify the market segment with the most potential for purchasing improved/clean cook stoves –
middle class, urban poor, rural poor, catering businesses, corner shops, etc
o Clear indication of their current energy costs
o Outline of the value proposition for investing in improved/clean cook stoves over current
practice – Total costs, efficiency, performance, etc
GBL PC01 SOP01 TL07 Request for quotation 4 / 5
- Estimate the market size and growth opportunities for improved/clean cook stoves and its by-products
- Determine other existing opportunities for addressing the energy needs of rural households through
marketing solutions (4Ps +C)
1. Market Analysis report containing market size and growth potential for cook stoves and its by-products,
and other opportunities for addressing energy needs of rural households other than the cookstoves
2. Recommended customer segments for improved cook stoves and options of business models to
3. Contact list of improved/clean cook stoves importers/fabricators and their business model
4. List of those fabricators and importers that have indicated interest to co-invest with PM in target states
Required Qualification and Experience
- 3 to 4 years’ experience in business development and analysis
- Demonstrable experience in development consultancy and providing alternate environmentally
friendly energy solutions
- Computer literate with excellent communication skills
- Experience in providing succinct market analysis report
- Ability to pull a team together in order to work effectively.
- Ability to work within the specified time frame.
- Proven understanding regarding dynamics in the energy sector of Nigeria
Duration of the Assignment
This assessment is expected to be undertaken within 30days, before the end of April 2019.
Method of assessment
There will be an evaluation event, and individuals/Agencies will be assessed based on their ability to provide
the plan of how they intend to carryout task as stated under the purpose and quality of their proposal.
Method of Application
To apply, submit as one attachment a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com . Deadline is 20th March 2019. Use “Energy Market Analyst and Business
Developer” as the subject of the email.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57