Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha (17009 Views)

Is Once Saved, Always Saved Biblical? Prince Gabriel Okocha / The Unrighteous Shall Not Inherit The Kingdom Of God - Prince Gabriel Okocha / Seeing Visions Of Believers In Hell - Prince Gabriel Okocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by BabyApple(m): 9:15am On Jan 26, 2020
Wait am coming
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by ignis: 9:15am On Jan 26, 2020
Simple grammar
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 26, 2020
It means Boko Haram
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by McGraw(m): 9:38am On Jan 26, 2020
Good morning,
I am a final year student in need to complete my school fee above, I am not lazy as I have been self sponsoring my education since I lost my dad in 2015.... It's just that I couldn't get the remaining amount till now, exams begins February 10 and I must have paid to be allowed to write it. This is my final lap and it will make me the first graduate of my family.... I am sorry if I am sounding rude but I am just hopeless. Any amount will make my burden less. Acct no: 2069131907, UBA... Ayowole Gideon Babajide
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by blazepascal(m): 9:40am On Jan 26, 2020
The funny thing about we on nairaland is that from monday to saturday we abuse people ,type immoral thing ,post dirty photo, and talk about dirty things , but on sunday we act like saint . the kind of life we live is meaningless . God in heaven knows everything, before you make a move he already knows .not eveybody that calls jesus name is guaranteed of heaven ,maybe thats why jesus said many are called, but few are chosen .
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by voskia: 10:10am On Jan 26, 2020
beautiful write up... it a foolish thing to reject the finished work of Christ

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by SmartyPants(m): 10:14am On Jan 26, 2020
jiggaz:
If Salvation is eternal, what does the Bible mean when it said if we “sin wilfully” after that we have received the knowledge of the Truth there is no more sacrifice for our sins?

What does it really mean to “sin willfully” according to Hebrews 10:26?
One of the most beautiful things about the Gospel and the Bible is that there are no contradictions in it. No dark sides at all.

Always when we study the Word and find certain things that seem contradictory to us, it is mostly as a result of lack of clarity, that is, lack of proper understanding of those things on our part.

Such is the case of Hebrews 10:26 which most people turn to when they want to invalidate the eternal nature of the Salvation we have in Christ. However, a closer look at this verse shows us that it is actually in support of Salvation being eternal and not against it.
Let’s see it together from the Word.

(Heb 10:26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
(Heb 10:27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

To get what the writer of Hebrews is trying to say in those verses we just read, we will need to study the scriptures surrounding those verses. That would mean studying the entire chapter very well, paying special attention to his audience and his use of words.
From verse 1 down to verse 3, we see that the author was talking to a set of people, his Jewish brothers, who were already conversant with the Old Testament. That is the Law of Moses and the writings of the prophets. They did not only “know” the Law, they also strictly practised it.

They were in the church, participated in every activity of the church including her sufferings and persecutions. But they were still strong followers of Moses. We would see this clearer as we proceed.
From verse 4 to 15, the author now begins to state clearly that the purpose of the coming and the sacrifice of Jesus was to take care of all kinds of sins once and for all, since the Law with it’s numerous sacrifices and priests was not able to do this.

A look at from verse 15 to 18 reveals that for those who have had their hearts and minds written with the laws of God (those who are born again), sins and iniquities are not remembered (counted) against them.
The reason their sins are no longer remembered or counted against them is not because they no longer do anything wrong. The reason is what the writer had already explained from verse 3 to 15 which is because the sacrifice of Jesus had already taken care of their sins, once and for all.

Please pay real attention to this part. From verse 19, we see how the author’s tone changed. He switched from just explaining things to them to calling them to take an action.

What was the action? Having used the previous verses and chapters to explain the sacrife and priesthood of Jesus, he then invites them to boldly “enter,” “draw near” by faith and enjoy the benefits of that sacrifice from where they are to inspire and produce good works, and have true fellowship with one another.

What if they refuse to accept all these that Jesus had done for them? The author then in verse 26 now tells them the repercussion of that refusal. He tells them that if they “sin wilfully” after that they had received the knowledge of the Truth, then there is no other sacrifice to atone for their sins.

That is, if after they had received the knowledge of the Truth which is to hear the Gospel of what Jesus had done for them, and by their own will rejects or refuses to believe that Gospel they just heard. Then they will have to bear God’s wrath against sin by themselves.

Them receiving the knowledge of the Truth there does not mean they have accepted or believed the Gospel before and maybe later rejected it. No! It simply means they are no longer ignorant of the Gospel because someone had preached it to them. The willful sin they did after that was that after they were aware of it, they didn’t believe it, rejecting it completely of their own will.

The author then went on from verse 28 to explain that in the Old times, whoever rejected the Mosaic laws after he has known about it was severely punished as long as two or three persons testified against him. How much more punishment will whoever refuses to accept the sacrifice of Jesus receive of God at the end of the world.

Having told them of this fate that awaits those who refused to believe the Gospel, he then reminded them how they have suffered together with the church since they have always been among them for long and receiving the same persecutions those who believed in Jesus received.

He then encouraged them to do the will of God in verse 36 so that they can receive the promise of God. What was this God’s will he wanted them to do?
It was simply to believe in Jesus and His sacrifice for humanity. This is consistent in all the scriptures.
(Joh 6:28) The people asked Jesus, "What does God want us to do?"

(Joh 6:29) Jesus answered, "The work God wants you to do is this: to believe in the one he sent."

In verse 38, the author again reminds them that it is only those who are justified by Faith that shall live eternally. But if any man after hearing the Gospel, draws back from accepting it, then such a fellow shall not be pleasing to God, having drawn back of his own will to perdition.

So from the message of this entire chapter, we understand clearly that to “sin wilfully” after that we have received the knowledge of the Truth, simply means to reject the sacrifice of Jesus by refusing to believe the Gospel.

It doesn’t mean that if a Christian commits a sin intentionally then there is no more hope for him since all men still sin even after they are born again. And there is no such a thing as “accidental sin.” Every sin has to do with our wills or else it is o longer sin.

Hebrews 10:26-29 is simply an explanation of the fate that is coming to all men who “sin wilfully” by rejecting or refusing to believe the Gospel after it has been preached to them.

We (Christians) have believed in Jesus’ eternal sacrifice for us and are saved forever from the coming wrath of God or indignation against sin.
I hope this blesses you.
Glory to God!

https://www.feedmejesus.com/2019/02/what-does-it-mean-to-sin-wilfully.html?m=1

I think you are right. Thank you brother

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Jeezuzpick(m): 10:35am On Jan 26, 2020
TruthinAction:

Big fat lies. Hebrews 11:26 is tied to verse 25 of the same chapter. Apostle Paul was addressing believers not to forsake the gathering of the Saints together and he calls such act willful sin in verse 26. He continued through verse 27 to 31 warning that such act could attract God's judgment. Please stop looking for ways to support your notion of once saved always saved. The entire book of Hebrews is centered on the dangers of backsliding. And Apostle Paul consistently compared the present day Church to that in the wilderness. Not all who came out from Egypt got to the promised land.

So please, stop preaching heresies and don't quite Scripture out of context. Hebrews 11:26 is linked to Hebrews 11:25. Only those who have been slained from the foundation of the world will believe your trash.

Does that mean, therefore, backsliders have no more hope even though they repent and genuinely cry out to God for forgiveness and restoration?

I believe it means drawing back from serving God and remaining there. Then, the initial atonement at the point of salvation will no longer apply.

This passage just stresses that one can be born again once but, drawing back once more into a life of sin, that initial experience does not atone anymore, but such a person should expect to be punished for the sins he/she is committing.

If a backslider genuinely repents and comes to God, he/she will be forgiven. He will by no means cast out those who come unto Him.

I personally believe that "once saved, always saved" doctrine to be the most dangerous teaching there is.

What do you say to this?

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Dpearlz: 11:09am On Jan 26, 2020
To understand you perfectly. You explained that to sin wilfully is to reject Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross as payment for our sins,. And acknowledging this sacrifice was made is the license you need to live a lawless life (do what you feel is right) without getting God's judgment.

If this is it, I politely disagree with you on some aspects of this premise. While it is true that Jesus's sacrifice was made as payment for all our sins, It is not an invitation to live by your own set of rules without getting on God's bad side. I feel this kind of teaching is a bit selfish and doesn't really understand the harmful effects of sin in this world. For example, as long as a yahoo boy believes that Jesus died for him then he is perfectly allowed to continue scamming people and destroying their lives in the process or the husband that cheats on his wife and destroys his family can continue without any consequence because he believes Jesus has paid for him? God won't even bat an eyelid because he says Jesus had paid for me. (These two examples are just modern interpretation of two of the ten commandments ie do not steal & commit adultery).

I believe Jesus's sacrifice was to pay for the sins of the whole world. His coming was also to call us to a higher standard of living (Repent or change your ways for God's kingdom is at hand). But being human who are not perfect, If you break God's laws by mistake, come to God through Jesus and obtain mercy.

Hebrewa 10:26 This portion talks about willingly breaking God's laws without regard, that you will not be exempted from judgment because you know what is right and decide to do what will give you the most pleasuring (ignoring everything else).

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Clint02(m): 11:24am On Jan 26, 2020
Thank you for this jiggaz.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by jiggaz(m): 11:38am On Jan 26, 2020
SmartyPants:

I think you are right. Thank you brother
You're welcome my bro..
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by jiggaz(m): 11:38am On Jan 26, 2020
Clint02:
Thank you for this jiggaz.
You're welcome my bro...

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by arantess: 11:42am On Jan 26, 2020
TruthinAction:

And this applies to all who are Christians. You have received Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour but you harden your heart against the truth of God's word. God says go to church regularly but you choose days you go to Church. God says be committed in Church but you warm the benches of the church. God says, flee fornication but you constantly indulge in it and even sleep other men's wives. Are these things not happening? Let's not twist the scriptures. All who profess to be Born again but live ungodly lives will go to hell.
QED
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by jiggaz(m): 11:43am On Jan 26, 2020
voskia:
beautiful write up... it a foolish thing to reject the finished work of Christ
Thanks... Yes it is...
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 26, 2020
More FEAR to keep the tithes coming in.....
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by An2elect2(f): 12:32pm On Jan 26, 2020
Dpearlz:
To understand you perfectly. You explained that to sin wilfully is to reject Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross as payment for our sins,. And acknowledging this sacrifice was made is the license you need to live a lawless life (do what you feel is right) without getting God's judgment.

If this is it, I politely disagree with you on some aspects of this premise. While it is true that Jesus's sacrifice was made as payment for all our sins, It is not an invitation to live by your own set of rules without getting on God's bad side. I feel this kind of teaching is a bit selfish and doesn't really understand the harmful effects of sin in this world. For example, as long as a yahoo boy believes that Jesus died for him then he is perfectly allowed to continue scamming people and destroying their lives in the process or the husband that cheats on his wife and destroys his family can continue without any consequence because he believes Jesus has paid for him? God won't even bat an eyelid because he says Jesus had paid for me. (These two examples are just modern interpretation of two of the ten commandments ie do not steal & commit adultery).

I believe Jesus's sacrifice was to pay for the sins of the whole world. His coming was also to call us to a higher standard of living (Repent or change your ways for God's kingdom is at hand). But being human who are not perfect, If you break God's laws by mistake, come to God through Jesus and obtain mercy.

Hebrewa 10:26 This portion talks about willingly breaking God's laws without regard, that you will not be exempted from judgment because you know what is right and decide to do what will give you the most pleasuring (ignoring everything else).
You can't stop sinning no matter how hard you try, you can't keep the law no matter how hard you try(Can't you hear the law? you break one you break all). The law was given to expose your sins. If there was no constitution/law in Nigeria, then no one would be convicted of crime. Thieves would steal, rapists would rape, murderers would murder but they would still be free because there is no law that says what they do is wrong. And you can't sentence anyone except he has been tried. The only way to make culprits pay for their crimes is to establish the rule of law.

In the same vain, before the time of moses sin was in the world but it was not imputed or recorded or charged to the sinners' account until the law came. When the law was established through Moses, sin was then imputed. The sinner was then charged and made guilty. ''And I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive, and I died.'' Romans 7:9 So without the law, the sinner is alive and free but when the law came the sinner is made guilty of sin and punished. And the punishment for sin is death.

Even though the law is righteous and holy the same way our constitution is good, the law cannot make you righteous, the law only makes you guilty of sin. While you can manage to keep all the laws of your country, you can't keep the law of God. To keep the law of God, you must never ever sin, even once. You must never break any law. If you sin for once in your lifetime, you are guilty of breaking the law and you would be punished through death. Who can say they have never sinned? Do you now see how foolish it is to try to attain righteousness through the law? It is not possible to be righteous by the law. You would sin because you have the sinful nature from Adam.

So who was able to keep the law without ever sinning? Jesus Christ. So when we are brought into Christ, Christ's obedience becomes ours.

But we can't be married to Christ and to the law at the same time. We can only be married to one. So you have to divorce one. To either divorce the law and marry Christ or divorce Christ and marry the law. You can't marry Christ and then go back to the law like the foolish Galatians. Its witchcraft. So you stick to Christ or the law. And how are we married to Christ (and divorced from the law)? It is through the death of Jesus Christ on the cross. Over 2 thousand years ago, God put us(the sinners by divine providence), our whole sins(all our sins were future sins as at that time) in Christ. So when Christ died, we died too (to the law and to sin). He was punished for all our sins so God cannot punish us for our sins anymore because He has already punished Christ for all of them. If God should punish us for the sins He punished Christ for then He would not be just. But God is just. So how do you live above sin and bear fruits to God? It is through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. For without this resurrection then the power to live above sin would not be given. But Christ's resurrection signified that we are now alive in Christ and new creatures divorced from the law and married to Christ. We died in Christ and also rose with him. The law is put away, the power of sin is crushed, the last enemy is death. ''For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.'' 1Corinth 15:21

''Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.'' Romans 4:7

So now we live not by the works of the law but by the faith of Christ, faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross. It is in this cross work of Jesus that God has placed the power of salvation, Romans 1:6. Even after we are saved, it is still through faith in the cross work of Christ that we grow, Galatians 3. We can't grow through the works of the law, that would only frustrate the grace of God. God's power is effectual to cause us to do good. If you don't have Christ, you won't have this power and you would always seek your own righteousness. Your naturally deceitful heart would deceive you into trusting your works.

Romans 5:12-21''Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin,and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—

13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.

15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.''Romans5:12-21

Cc TruthinAction
GideonOludayomi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Revolva(m): 12:37pm On Jan 26, 2020
A book of co fusions - the bible
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by omotayo11(m): 12:45pm On Jan 26, 2020
This is a blessing unto my soul. Thank you.
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Zona123(m): 1:09pm On Jan 26, 2020
Beautiful, it's well understood and very clear
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by jiggaz(m): 1:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
An2elect2:
You can't stop sinning no matter how hard you try, you can't keep the law no matter how hard you try(Can't you hear the law? you break one you break all). The law was given to expose your sins. If there was no constitution/law in Nigeria, then no one would be convicted of crime. Thieves would steal, rapists would rape, murderers would murder but they would still be free because there is no law that says what they do is wrong. And you can't sentence anyone except he has been tried. The only way to make culprits pay for their crimes is to establish the rule of law.

In the same vain, before the time of moses sin was in the world but it was not imputed or recorded or charged to the sinners' account until the law came. When the law was established through Moses, sin was then imputed. The sinner was then charged and made guilty. ''And I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive, and I died.'' Romans 7:9 So without the law, the sinner is alive and free but when the law came the sinner is made guilty of sin and punished. And the punishment for sin is death.

Even though the law is righteous and holy the same way our constitution is good, the law cannot make you righteous, the law only makes you guilty of sin. While you can manage to keep all the laws of your country, you can't keep the law of God. To keep the law of God, you must never ever sin, even once. You must never break any law. If you sin for once in your lifetime, you are guilty of breaking the law and you would be punished through death. Who can say they have never sinned? Do you now see how foolish it is to try to attain righteousness through the law? It is not possible to be righteous by the law. You would sin because you have the sinful nature from Adam.

So who was able to keep the law without ever sinning? Jesus Christ. So when we are brought into Christ, Christ's obedience becomes ours.

But we can't be married to Christ and to the law at the same time. We can only be married to one. So you have to divorce one. To either divorce the law and marry Christ or divorce Christ and marry the law. You can't marry Christ and then go back to the law like the foolish Galatians. Its witchcraft. So you stick to Christ or the law. And how are we married to Christ (and divorced from the law)? It is through the death of Jesus Christ on the cross. Over 2 thousand years ago, God put us(the sinners by divine providence), our whole sins(all our sins were future sins as at that time) in Christ. So when Christ died, we died too (to the law and to sin). He was punished for all our sins so God cannot punish us for our sins anymore because He has already punished Christ for all of them. If God should punish us for the sins He punished Christ for then He would not be just. But God is just. So how do you live above sin and bear fruits to God? It is through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. For without this resurrection then the power to live above sin would not be given. But Christ's resurrection signified that we are now alive in Christ and new creatures divorced from the law and married to Christ. We died in Christ and also rose with him. The law is put away, the power of sin is crushed, the last enemy is death. ''For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.'' 1Corinth 15:21

''Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.'' Romans 4:7

So now we live not by the works of the law but by the faith of Christ, faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross. It is in this cross work of Jesus that God has placed the power of salvation, Romans 1:6. Even after we are saved, it is still through faith in the cross work of Christ that we grow, Galatians 3. We can't grow through the works of the law, that would only frustrate the grace of God. God's power is effectual to cause us to do good. If you don't have Christ, you won't have this power and you would always seek your own righteousness. Your naturally deceitful heart would deceive you into trusting your works.

Romans 5:12-21''Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin,and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—

13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.

15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.''Romans5:12-21

Cc TruthinAction
GideonOludayomi
Beautiful reply... God bless you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by jiggaz(m): 1:18pm On Jan 26, 2020
omotayo11:
This is a blessing unto my soul. Thank you.
You're welcome bro.
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by jiggaz(m): 1:18pm On Jan 26, 2020
Zona123:
Beautiful, it's well understood and very clear
Thank you.
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Profmaojo: 1:27pm On Jan 26, 2020
i[/i][/quote] are you saying that after we give our life to Christ, even though we commit a sin it won't count?
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Kingininge(m): 1:49pm On Jan 26, 2020
P
An2elect2:

Cc TruthinAction
GideonOludayomi

You have not responded to the question which is ...
What does to sin will fully means?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by axponline: 2:15pm On Jan 26, 2020
Permit me to add my 2 cents worth. I believe the text was addressed to the Jews of that time whose practice was to sin and then get the high priest to sacrifice an animal to cover their sins.
What is being said here is that once these Jews have heard the good news of Jesus being the final sacrifice for all sins (past, current & future) if they do not believe and accept this and go on to sin as in the past, any sacrifice of animals will no longer cover their sins as it did in the past. Why, because they heard the news of Jesus and rejected it.
On the issue of sin, there is no man/woman alive , even born again christians who can claim he/she has not sinned (knowingly or unknowingly) since they became born again. So the text is not talking about sinning after becoming born again neither is it talking about once saved always saved.
Finally, the bible says who is guilty of one is guilty of ALL. Even if you don't fornicate or commit any of the so called big sins that people are quick to enumerate, you are still guilty even if you for instance told a small quick lie.
Some of the prayers we christians pray are actually sinful.
e.g Your friend buys the latest Mercedes car and your next prayer includes "father answer my prayer, I want to ride a Mercedes too".
That is covetousness which the bible says is a sin. (I know the example is a bit extreme but it happens)

Thanks God for Jesus Christ who night and day sits beside the father advocating for us.
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Gatsby(m): 2:34pm On Jan 26, 2020
For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.
Hebrews 6:4‭-‬6 NLT
https://bible.com/bible/116/heb.6.4-6.NLT
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by Finallydead: 2:41pm On Jan 26, 2020
Sinning willfully can only be correctly defined in the context of the text.
Also consider how drastic it is that Paul says there is no sacrifice remaining for such a sin and hence no forgiveness except fearful judgement(Heb10:26-27).
Actually, contrary to his aim, @OP picked a text that contravenes eternal security.
So first off, who was Paul referring to? Paul was certainly referring to those who were believers already but we're pressured to abandon faith by persecution from neighbouring Jews, as shown in the preceding verse
Hebrews 10:25[25]Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The succeeding verses also confirm he referred to believers, the only people who could ever have been sanctified by the blood of the Son.
Hebrews 10:29[29]Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has rejected with disdain the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

So what exactly is the willful sin? It is not just any sin a believer commits, of course. It is only the sin of apostasy- an outright turning back on faith in the Lord that one once held(which faith is the only means of salvation) i.e. when the believer no longer wants Jesus as his Lord. We also see that this apostasy called "insulting the Spirit of grace" in Heb10:29 was what the Lord called blasphemy of the Holy Spirit which can never be forgiven:
Luke 12:10[10]And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man(unbelievers), it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemes the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven

This sin is also what John calls the "sin unto [eternal]death" which when a brother commits, there is no room for forgiveness, hence no recommendation to pray for such(1Jn5:16). It leads instantly to (eternal)death(1Jn5:16). Every other sin doesn't instantly lead to eternal death(1Jn5:17) but can lead to the delusion of committing this sin if allowed to harden the heart, by continuing in them(Heb3:13)
1Jn 5:16-17 KJV 16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Not every believer qualifies to commit this sin but only one who has passed through all stages of spiritual development mentioned in Heb6:4-6 which can be summarised as having made Jesus Lord first and then having been baptized into the Holy Spirit with the evidence of spiritual gifts of power/anointing.
Heb 6:4-6 KJV 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and became sharers of the Holy Spirit, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
It is however very rare for a true believer to commit such a sin.

It is noteworthy that the impossibility of redeeming such believers is not because God's mercy can ever be exhausted but because sin automatically hardens the conscience hence a believer who continues in sin to a certain point becomes totally hardened in heart and deceived by sin(Heb3:13) such that he himself no more wants to retain faith in the Lord for security of his soul. Which faith alone is the only basis to enjoy God's provision of salvation.
Hence the unforgivable sin is apostasy a.k.a. blasphemy(insult) of the Holy Spirit a.k.a. sin unto [eternal]death a.k.a. willful sin.
Re: What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha by An2elect2(f): 2:47pm On Jan 26, 2020
Kingininge:
P

You have not responded to the question which is ...
What does to sin will fully means?
The op has explained this very well and even some people have agreed with him by explaining further.

Remember the Israelites were not able to keep the law too, like us. They broke the law multiple times and made God angry with them. And so many died. But then there was a shadow of Christ's sacrifice, a mini kind of sacrifice that was carried out to atone for their sins temporarily that required shedding the blood of a spotless animal. This indicates that sin can only be pardoned through the shedding of blood of an innocent one and not through the works of the law cos no one can keep the law. This sacrifice was done regularly because they were found guilty of sin. Would they have been guilty without the law? no but God imputed sin into them when they broke the law. And as long as they remain under the law they would continue to sin and face the punishment of death but not all died because of the sacrifice of bulls and goats. But they animal sacrifice could not change their hearts or make them stop sinning. If it had worked, then Christ wouldn't have been sacrificed. Hebrews10:1.

But God was not pleased with the continuous sacrifice for sin every year because it could not stop men from sinning. So Christ had to come and die. Shed his blood and be blameless as far as the law is concerned. Not only did Christ death take away the punishment for our sins it also took the power of sin away. And in this sacrifice God was pleased.

So the only way we can wilfully sin is to go back to the law, to look at Christ's sacrifice on the cross and still deem it incapable of ending your lust. To run back to the law to tame your sins which is impossible because the law cannot make you righteous but even more sinful. But in Christ our old man is dead and we are freed from the law and hence sin. So in Christ, you are not guilty of sin but under the law you are guilty.

If you reject the sacrifice that was done once and for all, you would need another sacrifice when you sin and continue to sin under the law but there is no more sacrifice. The only thing remaining is the terrifying punishment that would come for rejecting the perfect sacrifice. Hebrews 10:27.

Romans 8:1-4 ''There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.''

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cast Free Ifa Divination Online Now - Www.ifaluade.com / Durga Puja Subho Maha Saptami-ashtomi Messages Pictures Wihses For Friends / Church Members Barred From Discussing Chris Okotie’s Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.