Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond (1723 Views)

Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors / PARKLANE GARDEN (simawa) Luxury Package @ Moderate Price / Ogun Governor Shuns Public Debate Over N100b Bond ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by chyz(m): 6:05am On Sep 02, 2010
[size=18pt]Utomi to moderate Ogun debate on N100b bond[/size]

Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

September 1, 2010 11:55PM

Former Presidential Candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Pat Utomi, is expected to moderate the public debate between the executive and legislative arms of the Ogun State Government over the controversial N100b bond.

The State’s Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Sina Kawonise, who made this known yesterday in Abeokuta, said the debate is scheduled to hold on Wednesday, September 8, 2010.

Lawmakers had challenged the states’ governor, Gbenga Daniel, to the debate after they declined to back the bond deal.

Mr. Kawonise initially mocked the idea of a public debate on the matter but the position was later changed. The lawmakers promised to okay the bond if they lost the debate.

Live transmission

Mr Kawonise said the public debate, which will be transmitted live on Gateway Television and Gateway Radio, will hold at the station’s studio at 10.00am and that the executive and the legislature are expected to be represented by three members each.

“The public debate which will be transmitted live on Gateway Television and Gateway Radio will hold in the studios of the Gateway Television, Abeokuta as from 10.00am, while a renowned political economist, Prof Pat Utomi will serve as the Moderator,” he said.

“The state government wishes to give the assurance that all necessary arrangements have been put in place at the Gateway Television to ensure smooth transmission of the programme. It is hoped that the leadership of the state house of assembly will live up to its call on this crucial matter.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5613967-146/utomi_to_moderate_ogun_debate_on.csp
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by tkb417(m): 11:13am On Sep 02, 2010
why not a weekend so i can follow the debate

Ogun lawmakers have shown how the legislature should be

im proud to be from the State

I hope they win the debate sha. so who decides who wins? Utomi?
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Ibime(m): 11:54am On Sep 02, 2010
Utomi should not lend veneer of respectability to a flawed scheme. The debate has never been about the usefulness of bonds, rather a referendum on GD's character and suitability to handle such sums without stashing them in Swiss accounts.

Utomi must not participate in this looting of the future.
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Ayowumie(m): 12:19pm On Sep 02, 2010
Wao, this is what governance and transparency should be about. I am proud of the Legislature and inviting Pat Utomi as a moderator lends credence to the debate. This is the thing that other states in Nigeria should replicate.

Good Luck to the state.
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Ibime(m): 12:28pm On Sep 02, 2010
This is how they dribble the populace.
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by tkb417(m): 12:35pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ibime:

Utomi should not lend veneer of respectability to a flawed scheme. The debate has never been about the usefulness of bonds, rather a referendum on GD's character and suitability to handle such sums without stashing them in Swiss accounts.

i dont think you understand the reason behind the debate

The reps and the Guvnor are at loggerheads and everyone in Abeokuta knows OGD is even after them

so what do you mean Utomi shouldnt be a part of it?

The debate is a ploy to ridicule OGD and he has fallen for it
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by mbulela: 1:40pm On Sep 02, 2010
tkb417:

The reps and the Guvnor are at loggerheads and everyone in Abeokuta knows OGD is even after them

dude, you are too intelligent to fall for this.
Utomi is no saint, so i will not be too surprised.
This is a non issue that does not deserve to be debated.
How can a governor with less than 7 months left in his tenure go to borrow 100 billion from the market?
He should start by giving account of all the allocation he has gotten in the last 8 years.
This is broad day robbery.
This devilish trend needs to be checked, these barbarians are not satisfied with stealing the present they want to steal the future.
Before anyone dares to educate me about bond markets, our state governors are crooks and can not be trusted.
There is no mental accounting in their thought process.They will steal the proceeds like they steal federal allocation.
Ogun state indigenes must say no without any condition.
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Ayowumie(m): 1:40pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ibime:

tkb417:

I am lost, can some body please be of help. What is debate for, what does it aim to acheive, what is its objective. Why conducting it??
Nairalanders, pls be of help
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by xterra2(m): 1:45pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ayowumie:

I am lost, can some body please be of help. What is debate for, what does it aim to acheive, what is its objective. Why conducting it??
Nairalanders, pls be of help

It is about OGD plans to get N100b bond the executive and legislature are at loggerheads over this executive wants in and legislature dosent
So if the legislature lose their debate they would approve it

This is a big up to our democracy
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by HamidO1(m): 2:02pm On Sep 02, 2010
i hp this guyz name is not gonna be mentioned wen they get d money n start wastin it
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 02, 2010
How i wish its going to be that devilishly smiling Gov. Gbenga Daniels that will be sitting on the hot seat to debate, that guy to me has lost favor amidst the populace, what on earth does a govt. need 100billion naira for, very close to election?? then he'll pass the debt portfolio to incoming govts, our leaders wont stop amazing us, even lagos did N50billion, and we are at least visibly seeing the evidence,
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Ibime(m): 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2010
@ tkb,

Is it because Gateway Television is hosting the debate? I hope say your hand no dey inside o. Hehehehehe

Some legislators have been touched, hence their decision to hold this debate to justify their change of decision. Its all a whitewash.
At the end of the debate they will be justified in voting for the bond having received millions from OGD to do so.

Legislators have no business discussing the economics of bonds and stuff.

The title of the debate should be: "OGD: Corrupt or not". EFCC should be called to moderate the debate. If they rule that OGD is too corrupt to be trusted with N100bln the state doesn't even have, then end of debate.
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by kaypumpin2(m): 2:23pm On Sep 02, 2010
The question should be what indices or parameters will determine who wins the debate?

The worst of debaters can make the best and easiest of case looks/sounds ludicrous so what gives?
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Exponental(m): 2:46pm On Sep 02, 2010
who be the thief who be d hunter?
Last minute to go, going into bond!
Wednesday when most literate citizens of the state will be busy with their works, is it the full time house wives or market women that will be active to such decisions that they dont really understand its implications?

Moreso, Wednesday with NO TIME!

OGD, Actor wey no wan die!
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Jarus(m): 3:36pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ibime:

@ tkb,

Is it because Gateway Television is hosting the debate? I hope say your hand no dey inside o. Hehehehehe

Some legislators have been touched, hence their decision to hold this debate to justify their change of decision. Its all a whitewash.
At the end of the debate they will be justified in voting for the bond having received millions from OGD to do so.

Legislators have no business discussing the economics of bonds and stuff.

The title of the debate should be: "OGD: Corrupt or not". EFCC should be called to moderate the debate. If they rule that OGD is too corrupt to be trusted with N100bln the state doesn't even have, then end of debate.
bad boi
grin grin grin
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by tkb417(m): 4:04pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ibime and Mbulela

im reasoning with you guys oh

100billion for someone who is about to leave office?

i doubt the legislators have been bought. Cos the speaker still came out recently to say he was bribed with a billion

nyways, i no go gree grin grin grin
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by dharmie(f): 4:45pm On Sep 02, 2010
Hmm 100 billion in bonds,
How much does Ogun State generate through internal revenue? What is the payment plan? Under the illusion that OGD is honest,what is the guarantee that his successor will continue with the supervision of the projects the funds are used for? Why wait till now before bringing up this 'brilliant' idea?
OGD should complete the projects he started,
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by JimmyBoy1: 5:04pm On Sep 02, 2010
There is no risk to Prof Utomi's credibility in this matter, he is not the executive that wants to borrow and neither is he the legislature that that will approve the sum.

We cannnot contest his pedigree in handling something of this nature, he was the Political Adviser to former President Sheu Shagari at the age of 27, of course we all know his exploits with Pan African University.

Therefore he is competent enough to handle both the political and intellectual dimensions of the debate.

In conclusion, this is a positive development in our contry, bringing a case of of governance into the court of public opinion.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by JimmyBoy1: 5:12pm On Sep 02, 2010
There is no risk to Prof Utomi's credibility in this matter, he is not the executive that wants to borrow and neither is he the legislature that that will approve the sum.

We cannnot contest his pedigree in handling something of this nature, he was the Political Adviser to former President Sheu Shagari at the age of 27, of course we all know his exploits with Pan African University.

Therefore he is competent enough to handle both the political and intellectual dimensions of the debate.

In conclusion, this is a positive development in our contry, bringing a case of of governance into the court of  public opinion.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by JimmyBoy1: 7:32pm On Sep 02, 2010
dharmie:

Hmm 100 billion in bonds,
How much does Ogun State generate through internal revenue? What is the payment plan? Under the illusion that OGD is honest,what is the guarantee that his successor will continue with the supervision of the projects the funds are used for? Why wait till now before bringing up this 'brilliant' idea?
OGD should complete the projects he started,

You are already doing Prof Utomi's Job sir.
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by DisGuy: 9:10pm On Sep 02, 2010
Utomi is going back to his calling - TV presenter!! knew this guy was such a lightweight all those campaigning were just to keep himself busy!!

When is Gbenga Daniels term ending again?
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by Ibime(m): 9:18pm On Sep 02, 2010
Utomi has no business going to moderate a debate about a corrupt Governor who wants to borrow N100bln just 5 months to the end of his tenure. . . . unless he is going there to tell them that it would be ridiculous not to at least wait for the new Governor. . . . again, Utomi's name is just being used to lend a veneer of credibility to an already pre-agreed arrangement. . . he should beware. . .
Re: Utomi To Moderate Ogun Debate On N100b Bond by josite: 4:29pm On Sep 03, 2010
this utomis is fast coming across as a jobless person.it was under his watch that the removed ex md of bankphb was amaasing fortune.one would have thought he should be so busy with presidential campaign.we in ogun do not need utomis to tell us what is good for us.what we are saying is daniel cannot handle the 100billion bond.he will spend the money to plaster the whole state with his pictures.

(1) (Reply)

Free Stock Market Pick Alert for all Investors Globally!!! / I am Getting a Loan For Startup Without Colatteral / 1 Million Nigerians Have Joined MMM NIGERIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.