Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Police Arrest Kogi Politicians For Gun Possession - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest Kogi Politicians For Gun Possession (621 Views)

News Analysis: Kogi Politicians And Mystery Of Sudden Deaths / News Analysis: Kogi Politicians And The Mystery Of Sudden Deaths - Leadership. / I Have No Hand In Faleke, Audu Son’s Arrest – Kogi Governor-elect 0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrest Kogi Politicians For Gun Possession by AloyEmeka8: 8:50pm On Sep 02, 2010
Police arrest Kogi politicians for gun possession
By Samuel Oluwalana
September 2, 2010 12:39AM

Police in Kogi State, last weekend, arrested about eight people for allegedly being in illegal possession of guns and ammunitions in two local government areas of the state.

Two politicians, Sadiq Abiodun and David Sado, also known as Giant, who were said to be former councilors, were arrested in Ogori town in the Ogori/Magongo lacal government area of the state last Friday for being in possession of two pump action guns, one of them brand new and two belted ammunition racks.

A gang of seven, led by a suspected armed robber, Ahmed Zubeiru, were also arrested in Okehi local government area of the state with about fifteen guns earlier stolen from a police armoury in the area.

Parading the suspects, except Mr. Sado to the public on Wednesday, the Kogi State commissioner of police, Magaji Abdullahi, said Mr. Zubeiru and his gang, in 2007, broke into the armoury of the police in Okehi area and carted away undisclosed amout of guns and ammunitions with which they have killed about thirty people between that period and the time of their arrest.

He further disclosed that about 15 guns have been recovered from the gang while efforts are on to get the rest. He confirmed the arrest of Mr. Sado and his associates, who were not paraded along with others.

“He (Sado) is with us since last week Friday when we arrested him and he is helping us in our investigations. In the case of Zubeiru, he has been on our wanted list since 2007,” Mr. Abdulahi said.

Mr. Sado is said by people of his local government to be a notorious trouble maker who stormed the town last week Thursday in company of others to disrupt activities in the town. They were accused of firing shots into the air and caused panic in the community. He was said to be in possession of two specially built sub-machine guns and a machete when arrested.

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=MAhNvn$Q4UpmjwpozPM5OC6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxRcE32xmeUtDZd3_zJO04yinW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]
Guns found in possession of politicians.

The chairman of Ogori/Magongo local Government, Gabriel Dawodu, who said he raised the alarm that resulted in the arrest of Messrs Sado and Abiodun, told NEXT that he reported the duo to the police when it was apparent they were set to bring in a new dimension itnto the political terrain of the area.

“The using of arms and dangerous weapons to harass people is alien to the people of Ogori/Magongo. As the chairman of the local government area, I cannot fold my arms and allow some people to start a way of life that will bring anguish to my people,” he said.

“I made a report to the police last Thursday and the CIB operatives of the Kogi police headquarters immediately swung into action and arrested the offenders. One of them even has the ammunitions in his bedroom in a manner that suggests that they were ready to use them regularly,” he further said.

Hunter by profession

Mr. Sado, who is said to be well connected to the state’s political elite, however, told NEXT that he is a hunter and has been practising the trade for years. He said he was even at a time appointed by Mr. Dawodu to patrol the area when the people were subjected to incessant robbery attacks. He added that the guns found in his possession were those he use to practise his trade and that he was legitimately licenced to carry firearms.

“I am a hunter and everybody knows me as such. The chairman even hired me to patrol the area when armed robbers were troubling people of the area. I am not a trouble maker. This is a set up and I am been persecuted by my political opponents,” he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5613904-146/story.csp

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan, Contest Election, Face Court Action •atiku Group Warns President / People‘ve Taken Zoning Between North And South As Matter Of Life And Death – Jal / Ibb:the Great-anti Corruption Crusader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.