Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development (3104 Views)

I Want To Start A Career In Software Development / Where Is Nigeria In Software Technology? / The Future In Software Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by gifosek(f): 1:58pm On Apr 26, 2007
hi guys! am a graduate of computer science n need to develop a career in software development. please where can i get efficent training in lagos.thanks!!!!
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by Seun(m): 11:13am On May 03, 2007
Is software development really a viable career in Nigeria? I think system administration is what's really hot!

The big name in software engineering training seems to be NIIT, but really all you need is Google (and the Internet).
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by gifosek(f): 3:04pm On May 06, 2007
hi guys thanks 4 ur suggestions,so u think system Admin is better,any way i get more info on dat.thanks alot
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by peterz(m): 4:16pm On May 06, 2007
when u guys say system administration, what does it really mean
and what are its applications?

1 Like

Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by my2cents(m): 3:37am On May 07, 2007
gifosek,

Since you say u r a comp. sci. graduate, why not start with your areas of specialization while in school? What were they? If you want to switch from that/those to software development, why?

s/w development is good, but so are database, networking and animation. That's just my "one man's opinion" anyway.

I hope this helps.
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by unixman: 9:51am On May 07, 2007
There are many areas you can choose to specialize but it seems your interest is in software development. You don't have to jump ship because someone says system administration is hot in Nigeria. If you have no interest or cut out for it you will not be fulfilled. You might get the money but you wont be satisfied. So, first weigh your interests. You should naturally go for things you find easy and pleasurable to do. Develop on your strong skills. If you like you can apply the law of natural selection. It is also good to read and learn wide in the initial stage of your career. That's the broad base for the pyramid you will eventually build.

Whichever area you select be it programing, database, networking or sys admin, you need to be very good in it. "A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men says" If you do this the money will come. But to narrow down on software development, most programmers are self made. They don't rely on a training centres somewhere. They sit down, read the books and work out their fingers on the code. With the money you will pay such training institutions you can acquire a PC for yourself, get the necessary tools and books. As easy as this may be some find it difficult to do. Well, who can really blame them with a lot of issues to contend with in a country like Nigeria. If you can pay the price, you will get a good reward.

Do not make the mistake of starting with certifications. Certification easily fails in software development as most developers are not really hired on what certifications they've presented. I am not against certification but it wont help you if you have it without the actual skills. An expert said "In the hiring process, what tends to happen is it comes down to, 'What tools do you know? What languages have you done? How long have you programmed in them? Have you built any apps that I would know about? Can you show me any examples of applications?' The technologies you feel comfortable with and master become more important than a paper certification."

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by Franklini: 3:27pm On May 25, 2007
Hi gifosek
try reading one off my posts about starting off in the software development business straight out of uni. There are some good tips there.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=51625.msg1085948#msg1085948
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by chumakk: 7:36pm On May 25, 2007
apply in person
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by picoba(m): 11:04am On May 26, 2007
My own view:
Be faithful to yourself. Choose area of interest & develop yourself.
All depends, if 'Software Development' is your area of interest, to my own little experience in the field, you have to do 90% of the train yourself. What a training center may succeed to impact in you is just the Logic behind behind programming writing & as well the syntax in a particular programming language in view.

For quick skills acquisition you need your PC.
Programming materials - which you can get most through internet.
Give 100% attention to only one programming language. Because in the process of building yourself, friends may be telling you one programming language is better than the other, but mind you they are not a programmer. You may change to another language if the need be. All you will be leaning then will be the syntax and the technology behind concepts there in.
(Be very wise in your choice of programming language). Never dream of non-Object Oriented Language.

I meat a man on Wensday , he program with QBASIC. He has so much developed himself to a stage that he use QBASIC to create Object as we have in most of the Object Oriented Languages. Infact, if you see the application you may think it is coded with one of the latest programming Language. But, when you consider time or months he do spend in develop an application. Is, But the man has refuse to change.

Also, ready to spend reasonable hours one your PC coding or studing technology behind a particular concept daily.

Never let money be your priority, for it will surely come. If getting quick money is your major priority forget about programming
Note: Programming is a 'Long time investment'. Once you know it you are already into Service Industry. You may make #1.2M within two weeks and as well make #0.0M in another 3-4Months.

Have programmers as friends. at least 1 or 2. Alway chat with them, discuss your problem with them; Because being alone is very frustrating at times.

1 Like

Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by geebengs(m): 1:59pm On May 26, 2007
hey gifosek. I think they've all said it all. Especially picoba's and unixmann's reply. But i'll just like to add that, passion and determination should come first and not money. Cos monry will surely come later. Moreover, u will surely get to a point when u will feel like quitting because of the challenges u will face in doing whatever u decide to do but ur passion for it will help u overcome such challenges. Then most importantly, let God guide you in all u do. Best of luck.
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by Emmasonwealth: 10:01am On Jan 01, 2016
Software programing is it hard or should i go to hardware
Re: Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development by JohnDoe2015: 1:16pm On Jan 02, 2016
The truth is that software programming is hard which has lead to just a few developers in Nigeria.. In short in the world in general.

Now that's d advantage, a few(then join the few to make a huge income).

Disadvantages :
1. Not quite easy to learn,
2. Takes time n lots of devotion

Well, having said all, to actually really make it as a software developer fast n on time..

You need
1. Proper devotion of your time into it(hard work) &
2. A mentor to guide u

you can of course always learn it yourself but you won't be as fast as when having a mentor while u develop yourself

Well Am a developer.... And n the tools I use r php, laravel php framework, bootstrap, JavaScript, query, angular n more..

You can whatsapp me on 09033863912 if u want a personal mentor(teacher).

Note: It comes @ a cost

(1) (Reply)

Help Me With My Python. / Check Out My New Python App For Downloading Tv-series. The Getseries Program. / Java On Ubuntu Linux

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.