Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,947 members, 7,824,970 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks (776 Views)

Brazilian Woman Wheels Corpse Into Banking Hall To ‘sign Off’ A Loan In Her Name / First Bank Security Men Assault Customer Inside Banking Hall (Video) / UBA Policeman Beats Up Customer In Lagos, Attempts To Stab Him In Banking Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks by profstar(m): 9:04am On Mar 16, 2019
I have seen this every single time I go to banks for transactions, and each time I go, my antennas get raised and I begin to wonder how can the banks still be this gullible in this 21st century to have not been able to see this as a serious security concern.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, straight to the point.

Now, here is the concern;
In virtually all banks in Nigeria currently, you find a setting where a security personnel is positioned inside the bank (seating very close to the entrance with a small desk which has a security switch/ button under the locker) and then the normal security outside, just in front of the bank's entry/exit point

So you get to the bank and a scenerio like this occurs where the mantrap security entry scan doesn't allow you in because it detects metal of some sort on you, and then the security personnel stationed outside, who is beside you quickly do a manual scan of you to ensure the metal the system detected is an "allowable metal" (which could be glass case, bunch of keys, mobile phones, etc), if it is an allowable metal, the security personnel (with you outside) will signal this security personnel inside through the transparent glass wall of mantrap and then this security personnel inside goes ahead to press the button/switch under his small desk which will cause the mantrap door to "forcefully" allow you in, even with all the initially detected metals and then you get in and process your business for the day. It so bad in some banks that the security door (on pressing of the switch) gives direct front and back simultaneous access into the bank (a situation where the security mantrap door in front of you opens as well as the the one you will see when you enter the scanning point).

While this current system is innocently flexible, to allow the entry of "good" customers even when the computer scan door has refuse them access, and again we know how impatient Nigerians can be when it comes to following rigid and long processes, however, it has also defeated the purpose of the computerized automatic scan door and thus created a serious security loophole in the banking entry/exit security, leaving the banks highly vulnerable because of this security loophole and poses threat to life to bank visitors

I can easily think of 4 scenerios which exploit this loophole.

Now the solution:
Firstly I need to say that, in this 21st century, if the computerized security scan cannot operate up to 90% independence with its stationed screen surveillance staff then it does not deserve to be a cost consideration atall.

Bank visitors should NEVER know the direct location of the person controlling the mantrap in the bank talkless of having him in direct view right there in the banking hall
Therefore, that "access switch" should NOT be there ATALL (it totally compromises the entire security measures installed for safety).

The reason why this needs to be taken seriously is not just because of possibility of loss of cash, but more importantly because of the possibility of loss of life.

I have spoken.

Samson Oke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGE0TkOpBhk

cc: lalasticlala
Re: The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks by EbukaHades10(m): 9:50am On Mar 16, 2019
Nice write up.

Na project topic be dis

Re: The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks by faithfull18(f): 10:41am On Mar 16, 2019
Abi, true but Nigerians aren't known to be patient.
Re: The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks by Torg77: 11:21am On Mar 16, 2019
profstar:
I have seen this every single time I go to banks for transactions, and each time I go, my antennas get raised and I begin to wonder how can the banks still be this gullible in this 21st century to have not been able to see this as a serious security concern.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, straight to the point.

Now, here is the concern;
In virtually all banks in Nigeria currently, you find a setting where a security personnel is positioned inside the bank (seating very close to the entrance with a small desk which has a security switch/ button under the locker) and then the normal security outside, just in front of the bank's entry/exit point

So you get to the bank and a scenerio like this occurs where the mantrap security entry scan doesn't allow you in because it detects metal of some sort on you, and then the security personnel stationed outside, who is beside you quickly do a manual scan of you to ensure the metal the system detected is an "allowable metal" (which could be glass case, bunch of keys, mobile phones, etc), if it is an allowable metal, the security personnel (with you outside) will signal this security personnel inside through the transparent glass wall of mantrap and then this security personnel inside goes ahead to press the button/switch under his small desk which will cause the mantrap door to "forcefully" allow you in, even with all the initially detected metals and then you get in and process your business for the day. It so bad in some banks that the security door (on pressing of the switch) gives direct front and back simultaneous access into the bank (a situation where the security mantrap door in front of you opens as well as the the one you will see when you enter the scanning point).

While this current system is innocently flexible, to allow the entry of "good" customers even when the computer scan door has refuse them access, and again we know how impatient Nigerians can be when it comes to following rigid and long processes, however, it has also defeated the purpose of the computerized automatic scan door and thus created a serious security loophole in the banking entry/exit security, leaving the banks highly vulnerable because of this security loophole and poses threat to life to bank visitors

I can easily think of 4 scenerios which exploit this loophole.

Now the solution:
Firstly I need to say that, in this 21st century, if the computerized security scan cannot operate up to 90% independence with its stationed screen surveillance staff then it does not deserve to be a cost consideration atall.

Bank visitors should NEVER know the direct location of the person controlling the mantrap in the bank talkless of having him in direct view right there in the banking hall
Therefore, that "access switch" should NOT be there ATALL (it totally compromises the entire security measures installed for safety).

The reason why this needs to be taken seriously is not just because of possibility of loss of cash, but more importantly because of the possibility of loss of life.

I have spoken.

Samson Oke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGE0TkOpBhk

cc: lalasticlala

A long essay full of nonsense
Re: The Vulnerability Of Banking Hall Entry-security System Of Nigerian Banks by profstar(m): 11:32am On Mar 16, 2019
EbukaHades10:
Nice write up.

Na project topic be dis
Lol, no be only project topic

Torg77:

A long essay full of nonsense
LMFAO
why not show your view instead

Meanwhile you don't need to quote everything just to say 'nonsense'

(1) (Reply)

Headline EXCLUSIVE: How Doctor Sedated, Raped Married Patient In Sokoto / The Moment Coffin Fell From The Shoulders Of Some Pallbearer / Herdsmen Kill One In Owerri, Abandoned Over 30 Cows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.