Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Has Oracle Killed Java? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Has Oracle Killed Java? (1159 Views)

Oracle Or Cisco Or Java / How Do I Get Java Development Kit On My System? / Java EE Developer And Spring Developer In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Has Oracle Killed Java? by asalimpo(m): 2:25pm On Mar 16, 2019
I just read that java is no more free. I.e the oracle jdk? No free updates. This is old news ofcourse but seriously, java was ingrained in our minds as free and Oracle was the benevolent custodian of Our java. A mandate they inherited from the defunct company , Sun microsystems. So ... Is the sun setting on java? Would Sun have ever done this?
There had always been talks going around before this move that java was gonna die. That it is d new cobol. That xyz was a java killer. But java was still around long after xyz did it's worst. In some cases,it's xyz tht lost. Ruby came, was raved about but now ... Where is it? It's in decline. Then came clojure,scala, one language-based on erlang, even haskell. All hav remained niche-y. C# with all of $MSoft backing hasnt supplanted java. Python nko? Yeah, in classrooms nd so on. But python hasnt always been looked down on by real developers. So now, has Oracle done the escoba-ish thing by taking d knife to the golden-egg laying goose? Have they killed our java?
Re: Has Oracle Killed Java? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Mar 27, 2019
asalimpo:
java. Python nko? Yeah, in classrooms nd so on. But python hasnt always been looked down on by real developers.

True you wrote hasn't but i feel you mean has
I don't know if you mean has or hasn't but incase you are inferring that python is looked down on by real developers, (Whatever real means)

Lol the only language looked down on by developers generally is js..not python in anyway.
Python is one of the top level languages and depending on which site you check, python is in higher demand than java, the major disadvantage of python to java is its lack of static typing (even javascript has typescript) (lack of static typing can lead to errors lead to the possibility of errors in maintenance of large scale applications), which isn't a isn't necessarily a disadvantage to python developers (python is a dynamic language, that's what it is), since its makes programs more flexible. You don't have to bother about type checking since code you write is polymorphic in nature (it works on any type, provided the interface is supported, which is the pythonic way of doing things)...

sorry to digress from your topic anyways, as a python evangelist i wanted to clarify that python is a class on its own, just like java...C and C++. Unlike your Java, its open source with one of the largest developer communities thus leading to faster improvement and bugfixes, hundreds and thousands of libraries available for use, is one of the reasons it largely preffered for datascience and numerical computation in general, python is more than a scripting language these days, keep looking at it that way and you'll have much more to loose.
Quora, Instagram, Udemy, pinterest, Google, YouTube, Dropbox and PayPal. are just some of the huge sites that utilize python for their backend, so asides numerical programming, python is also a decent choice for webdev, and its niche will only grow larger

1 Like

Re: Has Oracle Killed Java? by asalimpo(m): 4:26pm On Mar 27, 2019
That was a typo apparently.
The issue isnt on the strenght of python. It's popular but has its weaknesses. Some devs just look down on it, even ppl who've used it for years. Look up quora articles on the issue. @Ttrrffyyghuuh

(1) (Reply)

Computer Science: Where Do I Go From Here? / Asp User Authentication / Project Topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.