Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! (4421 Views)

Used Car Scams And How To Avoid Them / Please Share Your Experience From Buying A Car From Auction Export / Online Auto Fraud/ Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 9:49am On Mar 18, 2019
Have you ever incurred an auto scam? And do not know how to get back the lost money, you feel really helpless and upset.

Therefore, We are here to help you avoid these scams.

All useful information are updated here.

Don't hesitate to share your experience with other together!

Best regards.
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 9:54am On Mar 18, 2019
How I fell into victim of a car scam in Nigeria
I hope that you all get out of this learning something about spending our money and how we could do to protect ourselves.

This all starts with the company named OLX. It's a company located in NYC and also Buenos Aires in Argentina and their business model is similar to that of eBay, meaning people can go there and sell or buy goods online. And if you don't know about eBay, it's where you can browse the goods, choose the one you prefer and contact that vendor to make the buying decision. The process applies to selling process too. All in all, the platform itself is truly a good site. Some people online, sadly Nigerians in this case, however, are not as that good. They make a living by scamming others, setting up traps and waiting for the "human prey" to fall in.

So I was scrolling down all the listings, and suddenly I came across a Toyota Rav 4 2006. It was relatively new and sold for only N1,000,000. The car and its price are so tempting but there's only one downside that it is not really near me, at the Seme Border. In fact, that didn't stop me from calling the owner James and expressed my interest to purchase his car.

He said that there're 2 ways to seal the deal. The first option, I have to go all the way to the border and inspect the car myself. The other option is let him bring the car here with the fuel cost of N25,000, which will be counted in the total cost if I bought the vehicle or he will take N5,000 in case I didn't like the thing. I thought it was a reasonable request since he has to pay for the fuel and other fees, not to mention that I might refuse to buy it and he has to go home without the contract. But still, I tried to lower the amount a little bit to N10,000 because I didn't know the guy. Finally, he agreed with that and we'll talk again on Thursday.

I gave it some thoughts on the way to my workplace the next morning. I tried to rationalize the decision by weighing both its pros and cons. At worst, he could take my N10,000 and never contact me back. At best, I take home a Rav 4 with only N1,000,000, that would be a dream comes true for me.

I called him on Thursday to finish our deal. I immediately sent a N10,000 amount when receiving his bank details. I was a little suspicious because the bank details show that the owner was a woman, but then I stopped when seeing his email address: "nigeriacustomservice423@gmail.com", which suggests that he is a custom officer. I felt a bit more confident, especially with the form he sent to proceed the deal. I didn't forget to call him and confirm that whether he's a real custom officer. Of course, he said yes. What was I thinking then?

He went on to tell me that the fee for paper process needed for him to drive the car all the way to me would cost N135,000 and told me not to worry since this fee is included in the price tag of the car.

I was ecstatic to interpret that the real cost of the car is only N865,000. Too good to be true! He then said he had to leave for the paper process and would call back later when it's done. Hours later, my phone rang and I picked up the phone couldn't be more excited, expecting to hear some road noises as he's driving the car to my place.

Well, he's not. He said that his boss didn't allow the deal to come through and that he had to pay the fee of N135,000 before driving the car out of the customs facilities. In short, he was asking for an additional N125,000.

I smelled something fishy here but was still confident in the deal. I told him to pay the fee by himself and he could come here to reimburse that money from later. He said that he didn't have enough money at the moment. I fought back and point to our deal the previous night, saying that how can he changed the condition of our deal so abruptly and still had the courage to ask me for more money? He attempted to say he's giving me his words and went on to ask about the additional fee.

I refused and cut him off by saying I'm not doing this deal anymore and he should give my N10,000 back today. I sent him my bank account and he hesitated to send the money back but eventually agreed.

To tell you the truth, I didn't expect the money back at the point. The scam was too obvious, How couldn't I think this through. What he would do to me, or to many people before me, is not to rob me of the whole N1,000,000 but to scam a little by little through minor fees like fuel cost or warehousing charge.

I was right. I called him in the morning after the day he asked for my bank account and he made me wait till noon. One more time, I made a phone call at 2 p.m only to hear insulting words from 3 more guys.

What I'm trying to say here is not to turn in the guy, because what's done is done. I just want to forewarn you about the possibility to be scammed is not as low as you'd think. If possible, get the seller to your place, and if you have to come to theirs, don't put down any kind of money before you have totally inspected the car and the situation. Fortunately for me, I didn't lose a fortune for my mistake, but other people might not be that lucky.

2 Likes

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by dirtycoin(m): 10:25am On Mar 18, 2019
You were looking at buying a 2006 Toyota RAV4 for NGN1,000,000.00.

Hmmmm! That was a red flag already.

2 Likes

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by Brinxs(m): 10:27am On Mar 18, 2019
Thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by Craziestgirl(f): 10:44am On Mar 18, 2019
'Too good to be true" indeed!

You saw the price didn't match the ride??

2 Likes

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 3:19am On Mar 19, 2019
dirtycoin:
You were looking at buying a 2006 Toyota RAV4 for NGN1,000,000.00.

Hmmmm! That was a red flag already.

With such a low price, the possibility of scam is quite high. To be sure, you should contact seller and come see that car directly before any transaction
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 3:44am On Mar 19, 2019
Car dealers in Nigeria: 5 things unscrupulous dealers hide from you

Known for the ability to turn a heavily damaged car to a like-brand-new looking one, unscrupulous car dealers in Nigeria have all the shiniest cars to the average eyes, both tokunbo and Nigerian used, but a trip backstage can make you dumbfounded. Following are the biggest things that they never tell car shoppers.

1. Accident-damaged cars
Obviously, car dealers always tell buyers that their cars are in a very good condition and clean without any blemish or scratch. But when you recognize some signals showing the car has been repainted, they will immediately change their tone and palliate that was just only a minor scratch made during transportation. This is often a whopping lie, the car likely got damages due to an accident. You may have known that most imported cars in Nigeria are purchased from auctions selling a huge number of damaged cars. This is not a big problem because sometimes, some damages are minor inconsequential.

However, some sellers prefer to buy heavy damaged vehicles because they are sold at a very low price like scrap, then they will repair and sell them as fairly used ones for unsuspecting Nigerians. One useful tip for tokunbo car buyers is checking the car’s airbags for removing or the suspensions for being patched up, if they had, the vehicle could have gone through an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIjkQjpPAek

2. Flooded cars
There are some clear signs to recognize a flooded car. If your car shows one of the following signs then it is very much likely that your car has suffered a flood before:

-The radio system refuse to obey your control of reducing or increasing the volume
-You want to turn on/off the radio but the air conditioner shut down instead
-The reverse camera operates whenever you start the car engine
-Your vehicle brings you a number of annoying pranks

On the other hand, these cars are great attractions for dealers who always want to get as much profit as they can because the cars are sold at the auction with very cheap prices. The dealers will have their own tricks to fool your eyes and not let you know their car was flooded. One of the easiest ways to know is checking the car’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), particularly the Carfax VIN.

Buying a flooded car is such a risk as in fact, some owners have spent over a year with a big sum of money for their car maintenance without having any chance to drive it.

3. Rolled back mileage
If you want to know how long the car has been used and how far it has gone, check its mileage! That is why many car dealerships tampered the odometer of the vehicle to roll back its mileage and fool the car buyers. Once when I checked a used car to buy, its history report showed that the car's mileage was 403,000 kilometers but as looking at its odometer, the mileage was 80,000 kilometers. For sure, you know what happened, right?

4. How much they make on each car
In fact, some cars are sold at very low prices, especially when they have been in the garage for too long. It is also true that car dealerships can earn from ₦200,000 to ₦700,000 on a Toyota 2006 model and even more. But no matter they can earn, they will always tell purchasers that they can make only ₦50,000 on every car. If you give them a great pity, you will easily fall into their trap.

5. Unpaid import duty
Excessive import taxes in Nigeria, high levels of corruption and our porous land borders have led to a number of smuggled cars entering the country. Unfortunately, these vehicles will not be seized from the sellers but they will be seized from the final purchasers who don’t know that their cars were smuggled. Luckily, Nigeria Custom lately introduced a verification process that allows buyers to confirm whether the vehicle's duty has been paid or not.
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by dirtycoin(m): 4:23am On Mar 19, 2019
carsnazi:

With such a low price, the possibility of scam is quite high. To be sure, you should contact seller and come see that car directly before any transaction

Personally I won't bother to go check out the car with the ridiculously low asking price for safety and security reasons. It could be a bait for more criminal activities. If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn’t true.

1 Like

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by CarGuideNG: 6:47am On Mar 19, 2019
carsnazi:

1. Accident-damaged cars

2. Flooded cars

One of the easiest ways to know is checking the car’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), particularly the Carfax VIN.

3. Rolled back mileage

5. Unpaid import duty

Contact CarGuideNG for your Premium Vehicle History Reports

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8884844_20190228074305_jpeg65eac1ba98b0dd4d7005c154021a9088

Premium VIN Checks & Reports

https://www.nairaland.com/CarGuideNG

https:///+2347011116171

+234-701-111-6171. SMS/Call/Whatsapp/WeChat

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8885362_newbanner_jpeg89df1ad1624ddeecaad0e8f148816867

Tested and very trusted
-

https://www.nairaland.com/4857533/carguideng-toyota-siennas

https://www.nairaland.com/4942722/free-limited-offer-verify-custom

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8733658_cgng01_jpeg736836811891d0b4c875b7a32277443a
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by computerglobal(m): 6:56am On Mar 19, 2019
Computergloba:
Car shopping can be overwhelming so make sure you do your research ahead to avoid being ripped off.Get a vehicle history check to know everything about the vehicle.......

With computerglobal you will instantly receive an accurate vehicle history report

Comprehensive Report

100% Verified, Accurate Data

Fast, no-hassle turn around.

Instant Report Delivery

The Fastest Service Delivery

Comprehensive vehicle history report that you can count on to make an informed purchase

We help you interpret the report and also advice you

Don't run the risk of buying a used car with costly hidden problems. Shop with confidence for a car with the our vehicle history that's right for you.

With Vin checks and reports willsave you money on your initial investment in a vehicle, but can help steer you away from a vehicle that is problematic and into something that is going to bring you years of enjoyment.

For Free Flood Damaged Vehicle Checks . Visit https://www.nairaland.com/4030035/free-flood-damaged-vehicle-checks#60086379
Visit https://www.nairaland.com/4370199/buyer-beware-free-vin-checks

For Free Manufacturer recalls check Visit https://www.nairaland.com/4370199/buyer-beware-free-vin-checks

For Free Basic Vehicle Information Package (BVIP) Visit https://www.nairaland.com/4180047/free-basic-vehicle-information-package

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068 or sms vin and email address to +37257130685

Email : computerglobaltech at gmail dot com
www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

Custom Document Verification

https://www.nairaland.com/4916517/exclusive-claim-100-free-custom
https://www.nairaland.com/4920896/exclusive-claim-100-free-custom

Contact us on Whats-app now directly . Just a click away.

https:///+2348060365068

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10000072_vehiclehistoryreport_jpeg3e8dde5a1fb4cccbf6626e983b2598da
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by computerglobal(m): 6:59am On Mar 19, 2019
cool
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 9:43am On Mar 19, 2019
5 best car dealers in Nigeria

1. Best car dealer in Nigeria #1: Carmudi
Carmudi is an online car dealer providing high-quality cars of various brands, prices and sizes. Carmudi probably has one of the widest car collections and best customer services.

2. Best car dealer in Nigeria # 2: Naijauto

Naijauto is the leading portal for automotive classified ads in Nigeria. It employs a powerful design, friendly interface and highly intuitive features so the buying process will be simplified and user experience will be optimized.

3. Best car dealer in Nigeria #3: Cheki
Cheki is among top car websites. Since they are like an outsourcing firm for car dealerships, no wonder they provide an astonishingly wide range of car body types and brands. You can find cars with acceptable prices on Cheki and they do verify their cars.

4. Best car dealer in Nigeria #4: Affordable Cars
If your top priority when buying a car is price then try visiting Affordable Cars. What makes Affordable Cars stand out is they don’t sacrifice quality for price, so you can still find a decent car with limited budget.

5. Best car dealer in Nigeria #5: Elizade
Elizade is known for its huge number of Toyota cars so if you are looking for a car of a brand other than Toyota, do check them out, but if it is a Toyota car you seek, you probably wouldn’t need to go anywhere else

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 11:16am On Mar 21, 2019
5 tips to avoid used car frauds

Don't let scammers take your hard-earned money.
Most Nigerian families work hard for years to afford a car, so buying a car is one of the most important decisions we have ever made in our lives. However, with car scams being so rampant on the Internet, the risk of losing our hard-earned money for scammers is higher than ever.

Too good to be true
Sometimes you will meet a too good offer from sellers while searching for a car. Of course, everyone wants to save money, some people even try all means to buy the cheapest car possible but the too cheap car price is something we need to carefully consider. For example, one seller offers you a 2010 Mercedes-Benz at the price of N1,000,000 and says he needs to sell it urgently as he will move out of the country shortly, will you believe in what he says? If you are not sure the price is reasonable, search for the same cars with the same condition and production year on the internet to have an idea about the fair market price.

Sometimes you will meet a too good offer while searching for a car

Check the identity of the seller
After finding the suitable car for you, next step you need to do is verifying the seller in order to ensure he/she is legitimate. The best way to check this guy is by phone calls, not email because it is easy to create fake conversation. Call the seller and try to get as much information about him and his car as possible, namely his address, the car’s condition, the reason of selling the car, payment terms and et cetera. Remember to list several follow-up questions which only true car owner can answer.

After finding the suitable car for you, next step you need to do is verifying the seller

Never make advance payments
Request for the advance payment from car sellers is absolutely a big red flag. Don’t accept any reasons sellers bring to you only for an advance payment, for instance, they need your money to transport the vehicle to your place for viewing. In the case that you are extremely interested in the car, you should go directly to their location to see and check the car.

Request for the advance payment from car sellers is absolutely a big red flag

Meet the seller
Even you and the seller set the schedule for a meeting, you still must be careful. Below are three things to bear in mind when meeting the seller.

Do not bring any legal document and your money with you to the meeting. Once you can decide he/she is a genuine seller, you can bring the document back and send the payment to this guy later when you take the car.
Accompany a close relative or friend to your meeting. It would keep you far safer.
Have your meeting arranged in public places and in broad daylight, not in deserted parking lots.

Even you and the seller set the schedule for a meeting, you still must be careful

Carefully inspect the car
One of the most popular frauds now is the odometer fraud. The sellers will try to trick buyers that their car has low mileage. It is easy to roll back vehicle odometers. Detect and avoid odometer fraud by maintenance records, examining titles, inspection stickers, vehicle parts and tire tread depth.

One of the most popular frauds now is the odometer fraud

1 Like

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by Craziestgirl(f): 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2019
Excellent post.
Should have been a new thread.

1 Like

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 4:01am On Mar 22, 2019
Thank you cheesy
Craziestgirl:
Excellent post.
Should have been a new thread.
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 7:46am On Mar 22, 2019
How to distinguish between a genuine seller and a scammer when buying car online

Tips 1. Check the car photo
No seller affords to redesign their photo's background before they post it on classified websites, so if you find edited car photos, it is likely that they are not legit ones and are downloaded from the internet. And the seller of the listing is usually a scammer.

Tips 2. Check the car description
Normally, scammers do not like typing detailed descriptions because they lack information about the car. They usually copy the general car description from a random website and paste it in the description field. That would look like this:

Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Year: 1999
Notice that scammer’s description is usually very short and doesn't have any suitable explanation of the car. The reason is that scammers hate wasting time to make a valuable description or they don’t know the necessary car information. For instance, scammers always write short description such as “Nigeria used Toyota Camry, buy and drive, for more detail call Mr A”.

On the contrary, real sellers should make a long description, which includes a great deal of information about their vehicle. Therefore, their car description is usually long and very valuable in order to provide car buyers with as much information as possible to come to buying decision quicker.

Scammers do not like typing long and detailed descriptions

Online car scammers are everywhere. Our article will share some handy tips to spot a scammer.
How do you differentiate a car scammer from a real car seller? Follow these useful tips Naijauto mentions below to avoid falling victim to online car scams.

5 Ways to Avoid Car Donation Scams

Tips 1. Check the car photo
No seller affords to redesign their photo's background before they post it on classified websites, so if you find edited car photos, it is likely that they are not legit ones and are downloaded from the internet. And the seller of the listing is usually a scammer.

car photo

No seller affords to redesign their photo's background before they post it on classified websites

Tips 2. Check the car description
Normally, scammers do not like typing detailed descriptions because they lack information about the car. They usually copy the general car description from a random website and paste it in the description field. That would look like this:

Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Year: 1999
Notice that scammer’s description is usually very short and doesn't have any suitable explanation of the car. The reason is that scammers hate wasting time to make a valuable description or they don’t know the necessary car information. For instance, scammers always write short description such as “Nigeria used Toyota Camry, buy and drive, for more detail call Mr A”.

On the contrary, real sellers should make a long description, which includes a great deal of information about their vehicle. Therefore, their car description is usually long and very valuable in order to provide car buyers with as much information as possible to come to buying decision quicker.

car descriptions

Scammers do not like typing long and detailed descriptions

Tips 3. Check seller's other ads
Another useful way to spot scammers is checking out their cars posted before. Make sure that their previously photos have the similar background or legitimate write-up. Otherwise, those sellers are likely car scammers.

Tips 4. Other little but important tricks
Those sellers might be scammers if they do the following things:

Request your advance payment in order to keep the car for you before you see it
Tell that he/she is not in the country, so you must contact with another person to process some papers before you can take the car.
Refuse to let you come to his/her house or office to check the car
Post the same car on different ads with different prices, features or mileages etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt9kxMYY1U
5 Ways to Avoid Car Donation Scams

Source: https://naijauto.com/car-buying-and-selling/how-to-distinguish-between-a-genuine-seller-and-a-scammer-when-buying-car-online-265

1 Like

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by diportivo: 7:55am On Mar 22, 2019
one

I av never heard of naijautos before now

two

what is Elizade doing on this list??

is this thread for new cars or for used cars?
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 8:00am On Mar 22, 2019
How to buy used cars from the US without being tricked?

This article will provide you with tips and what should be done to purchase a foreign vehicle of your desise.
It's nothing new to purchase a Tokunbo car from foreign markets. Maybe the models in Nigeria don't satisfy your need or the one you prefer is a discontinued model and not currently available elsewhere. If you have set your sights on this niche, you'd better know that it's a little bit more complicating than buying new cars, since there's no truly authenticated dealer and the credit of a supposedly good dealer can only be determined through words of mouth.

Long story short, let's dig into our tips on how to purchase a used vehicle from one of the most active foreign car markets in Nigeria - the USA.

Tip 1: Never spend all your saving for the car
Never put all eggs in a basket, meaning you should have at least more than 80 percent of your money in your account after you purchase the car. Not only because you should, but also American dealers normally don't allow installment payment.

Never use all your resource to buy a car, always have a backup plan

Tip 2: Have more than one option
Even though you have fallen in love with a particular model or brand, always make an extra list of all cars that match your criteria. By doing so, if a car is not really suitable to buy, you could quickly switch to others and thus save a lot of time.

Tip 3: Don't rely on the warranty that comes with the car
Don't trust the warranty sticker next to the car online. The car has its insurance doesn't mean it can be shipped to Nigeria with it. The international barrier is a real thing. If there's a type of "insurance" you should look for, it's the pre-owned certificate. This one is safer and wouldn't keep you up at night.

Tip 4: Research the market prices
Another downside when you set your sight on one car only. When you do that, the previous owner could be able to talk you into buying with a higher-than-average price of the market. So it's best if you take a tour around the market and research the price first.

Go around the market for a while to avoid being overpriced

Tip 5: Pay attention to the conditions of car loans
If you're thinking of getting a loan to buy your car, keep in mind that most banks in Nigeria wouldn't give loans for cars that have been on the market for more than 5 years. So either save up for your car long before you make the decision to buy it or look for ones that are under 5 years old.

Tip 6: Location of the car does matter to the price
Pay attention to the location of the car. Some states are farther from the sea than other states, thus it will add a transportation fee to the total amount, which sometimes can be up to more than 100,000 Nairas. If you neglect this fact, the seemingly cheaper car would end up cost you a fortune.

Tip 7: Never skipping the VIN check
Sometimes the image of the car you want appears flawless or with just some small marks on the website, but you shouldn't trust it right away. VIN check can reveal all the car history if it has been involved in some kinds of accidents. To check this, you can go to the Carfax website to search for its report.

Dig really deep to see the hidden information

Tip 8: Ask for all the documents of the car
You can ask the seller to show you all of the car's previous documents, including how many times it was taken to a maintenance service, or how many times the tires were replaced, or was it involved in some sort of accidents before. Specifically, if it has been handed around by many owners, that is a major red flag and you should walk away from the deal right away.

A car's title is a must when it comes to purchasing a vehicle

Tip 9: The title of the car
Paper of ownership. This should be a must when considering a car. If there isn't any dishonesty with the car, the owner would happily show it to you. If they seem to hesitate or refuse to do it, turn the deal down immediately. Having said that, sometimes the reason why they can't give you the title of the car is that they still have an outstanding loan. In this case, you could consider paying this amount so that they can get back the title and show it to you, but be extra careful in this situation. The final step is asking to see the previous owner's driving license to see if it matches the information of the car

Source: https://naijauto.com/car-buying-and-selling/how-to-buy-used-cars-from-a-foreign-market-without-being-scammed-961

1 Like

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 8:27am On Mar 22, 2019
Now you know Naijauto: Naijauto.com is a leading portal for automotive classified ads in Nigeria. And this thread contains both new and used cars so Elizade is still mentioned.
diportivo:
one

I av never heard of naijautos before now

two

what is Elizade doing on this list??

is this thread for new cars or for used cars?
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 8:27am On Mar 26, 2019
What is odometer fraud and how to spot it when buying used cars?

1. What is the reason for Odometer fraud?
ODO stands for odometer, a small part of the car with a small screen to display with the purpose of recording the number of miles or kilometers the car has traveled since the date it left the factory. It is mostly located on the tableau, visible to the people on the front seats.

Now is the reason. As a general rule of the market, cars with fewer miles traveled could be sold at higher prices, as opposed to lower price for cars with a higher number of kilos traveled. That's pretty much the reason why odometer fraud occurs.

This problem has been on the market for way too long that we don't even know exactly when, but probably not very long after the first used cars market was born. It is serious not only because it hikes the price of the car in an unethical way but also it's very subtle and is often taken care of by professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltlLe8b1mt8
They Rolled Back OVER 200,000 MILES on THIS CAR! Here's how you can avoid Odometer Rollback Scam

2. Signs of interference with your odometer
Generally speaking, there are two to three ways to detect the issue in used vehicles. First off, carefully check the dashboard and look for the following signs:

The screws that hold the odometer to the tableau are loosened or missed
The numbers in the screen are not in line with each other
The protection cap shows signs of being scratched
If the car has one or all of the above, the change that its odo has been rolled back. Also, you should see if the car's condition really "feel" like they've traveled such miles or the number is much greater.

It is important to check if there are signs of odometer tampering

According to car experts, a typical car in Nigeria that has traveled around 30 thousand kilometers or is more than 3 years old would still have its initial pairs of tires and components. Some scratches on the surface are acceptable. Otherwise, the presence of a new alternator and/or radials, water pump means that it has traveled more than 190 thousand kilometers.

Another seemingly simple way to approve the validity of the number on the odo is to cross-check it with a receipt that has a real number in it (For example, a receipt of an auto service say that the car has changed oil after 100,000 kilometers but the odometer only present 80,000). Those numbers should match if you buy the car from an honest owner.

3. Can I prevent odometer interference from happening?
Modern vehicles are equipped with digital odometers that are more secured with any kind of tampering. Having said that, a pro hacker with a right kind of equipment and lines of codes could though not easily, hack the odometer without breaking a real sweat. And it's almost impossible to track back to the one who tampered the odometer, especially those cars that has changed hands many times.

There are many pro-scammers lurking in the Nigerian market

4. Will I be protected by the law?
You surely are. This fraud is considered a crime and if the amount of money hiked by the roll-back method exceeds a certain number, the case will be moved into Grand Theft section and could result in the previous owner being put in jail. Still, there are some people who seem to neglect this and would try to commit the fraud anyway.

Final words: If you're a motorist and could potentially sell your vehicle, never attempt to do that, no matter how tempting it is. Together, we can create a scam-free market in Nigeria.

Source: https://naijauto.com/car-buying-and-selling/what-is-odometer-fraud-and-how-to-spot-it-when-buying-used-cars-920
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:33am On Mar 26, 2019
LOOK UNDER THE TOKUNBOH CAR YOU ARE INSPECTING FOR PURCHASE.

what you may find there will shock you!!!!

don't restrict your inspection to engine, interior and driveability only. you will be shocked what you will find

2 Likes

Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 3:25am On Mar 27, 2019
4llerbuntu:
LOOK UNDER THE TOKUNBOH CAR YOU ARE INSPECTING FOR PURCHASE.

what you may find there will shock you!!!!

don't restrict your inspection to engine, interior and driveability only. you will be shocked what you will find

Seems like you had experiences buying Tokunbo to share with us? Pls do so others can avoid troubles! cool
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by carsnazi(f): 3:29am On Apr 05, 2019
Car experts’ advice on tire purchase: Always say no to Chinese brands

Tires are one of the most important parts of a car which secure our safety. Therefore, changing your car’s tires sometimes are vexing, making you racking your brain to come up with the most creditable tire brands. Sadly, there is a myriad of tire suppliers today and not all have the standard quality. Though, you can have fewer chances of getting the wrong tires thanks to the help of car experts who all agree that always say no to Chinese brands.

Tires are one of the most important parts of a car which secure our safety

First of all, let’s dig into the question What the worst tire brands to avoid are:

Then, the answer is never getting tires from Geostar, Westlake Tires, Telluride tires, Compass Tires, and AKS Tires.

And here’s why:

To begin with, tires from these brands lack basic quality control and safety measures. Some of them don’t even have gum strips which are needed to keep the steel ring engaged with the tire framework.

Many tires from China has been subjected to various lawsuits that customers filed against the tire brands. Also, a great deal of investigations has been taken to unmask the true quality of these brands from China.

Many tires from China has been subjected to various lawsuits that customers filed against the tire brands

The key factor that makes these tire brands the first ones to avoid buying tires from is their business vision. The main focus of these brands is mostly profit. Therefore, product quality is terribly neglected.

What’s more, Chinese brand names have been long engraved in customers’ minds to be deft at copying products from other more famous brands to let down the pricetag, which sounds effective in luring customers to pick their product rather than the original to save money. But it turns out to cost more in a long run and even endanger your safety. Don’t risk your life using tire made in China.

Good tires are nowhere hard to find, you should consider tires from renowned brands such as Yokohama, Uniroyal, Toyo, Michelin, Kumho, Firestone, Dunlop, Continental, Bridgestone, BFGoodyear, or Cooper Tires. They all offer high-quality tires at a wide price range that fit your budget however tight it is.

Good tires are nowhere hard to find, you should consider tires from renowned brands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j00C9FMlgIw
Video: How Do I Know It's Time to Replace My Tires?

Source: https://naijauto.com/car-buying-and-selling/car-experts-advice-on-tire-purchase-always-say-no-to-chinese-brands-675
Re: Car Scams In Nigeria - Please Share Your Experience! by NaijautoDotCom(m): 8:41am On Dec 10, 2020
<3

(1) (Reply)

Sold - 2000 Honda Crv ⁴ #500k / Extremely Clean Maroon 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (SOLD!!!!) / A Super Clean Toks 2007 Lexus Lx470 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.