Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? (604 Views)

Interview | How I Left Farafina To Start Parresia Publishers -- Azafi Omoluabi-o / How To Publish With Parresia Publishers / How To Publish With Farafina Book Publishers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by sosa993: 8:02am On Mar 19, 2019
These days, people say youths hate reading but I think that's a lie.

I have a bunch of Facebook's friends who read novels like their lives depends on it. Now, I can't help but wonder why Nigerian traditional publishers only focus on general fiction. What could be the issue in the country?

Is general fiction the only genre Nigerians prefer?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by Valleys(m): 8:05am On Mar 19, 2019
What of nollywood? Hate, revenge, ritual, sex and so much narrow scripts.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by sosa993: 8:08am On Mar 19, 2019
Valleys:
What of nollywood? Hate, revenge, ritual, sex and so much narrow scripts.

I mean there are so many genres to pick from. It's really frustrating we keep going for one thing every single time.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by Divepen1(m): 9:57am On Mar 19, 2019
sosa993:

I mean there are so many genres to pick from. It's really frustrating we keep going for one thing every single time.
The fault lies with the ministries and schools. The old men are after morals and books that depicts Nigeria's turmoil. Well, most publishers have included books on Feminism and the girl child. So, in essence to be published, you must either talk about immorality in the country or Nigeria and its corruption, which is draining off at the moment, or the girl child as a victim or a girl hero but not be too confrontational. It must speaks of a little suffering in the conventional way. She must rise to glory through a good man but not solely dependent on him.

Any other genre aside those ones would require that you spend money. Unfortunately, after a while, if you record high sales, the rate would drop gradually until you have to give your book for free or write a new one to keep your name out there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by sosa993: 10:25am On Mar 19, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by Divepen1(m): 1:26pm On Mar 19, 2019
sosa993:

It's sad. I'm tired of reading the girl child as a victim or marriage problem or rape and the likes. One thing most publishers don't know is that one can put these themes into any genres. Even a sci Fi. I hope things change soon Sha.

I do hope too. The leaders want classical novels or things that look like it. So, someone has to build a publishing house like Cassava books but they don't have enough to take much of the other genre.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by sosa993: 4:08pm On Apr 07, 2019
Divepen1:
The fault lies with the ministries and schools. The old men are after morals and books that depicts Nigeria's turmoil. Well, most publishers have included books on Feminism and the girl child. So, in essence to be published, you must either talk about immortality in the country or Nigeria and its corruption, which is draining off at the moment, or the girl child as a victim or a girl hero but not be too confrontational. It must speaks of a little suffering in the conventional way. She must rise to glory through a good man but not solely dependent on him.

Any other genre aside those one would require that you spend money. Unfortunately, after a while, if you record high sales, the rate would drop gradually until you have to give your book for free or write a new one to keep your name out there.

Wow. It's really crazy but you have said nothing but the truth. These days all I see in Nigerian books is rape. Like we understand it's a common thing, but when you keep pushing down people's throat, books like that can be depressing jare. Really hope someday it'll get better Sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by Lleigh(f): 8:15am On Apr 08, 2019
Divepen1:
The fault lies with the ministries and schools. The old men are after morals and books that depicts Nigeria's turmoil. Well, most publishers have included books on Feminism and the girl child. So, in essence to be published, you must either talk about immortality in the country or Nigeria and its corruption, which is draining off at the moment, or the girl child as a victim or a girl hero but not be too confrontational. It must speaks of a little suffering in the conventional way. She must rise to glory through a good man but not solely dependent on him.

This is so true

Any other genre aside those one would require that you spend money. Unfortunately, after a while, if you record high sales, the rate would drop gradually until you have to give your book for free or write a new one to keep your name out there.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by Divepen1(m): 9:29am On Apr 08, 2019
sosa993:

Wow. It's really crazy but you have said nothing but the truth. These days all I see in Nigerian books is rape. Like we understand it's a common thing, but when you keep pushing down people's throat, books like that can be depressing jare. Really hope someday it'll get better Sha.
Same here...

Cc: Domawoleye
Re: Why Do Nigerian Publishers Focus On One Genre? by Lleigh(f): 6:36pm On Apr 10, 2019
sosa993:

It's sad. I'm tired of reading the girl child as a victim or marriage problem or rape and the likes. One thing most publishers don't know is that one can put these themes into any genres. Even a sci Fi. I hope things change soon Sha.

This is true, with all the marriage problems no one should have marriage problems in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

The Four Primary Temperaments (man,know Thyself) / If You Think Writers Are Hungry / Chinua Achebe's Interview During The Genocidal War Against The People Of Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.