Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,978 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD (1830 Views)

Worldly Targets Set By Churches: How My Friend Began Preaching Rubbish / Uganda Pastor Uses His Church Members As Foot Mart,as Directed By God(photos) / As A Christian, Is Court Wedding In Place Of Church Wedding Acceptable By God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by OpenYourEyes1: 6:38am On Mar 20, 2019
Humans lived very long life before the flood until this:
"My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.” - Genesis 6:3

The only person who allegedly surpassed 120years was 122yrs old woman named Jeanne Calment and this is verifiable (similar claims have to be verifiable) according to wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

However there are controversies surrounding the woman's real age. Some scientists believe the real Jeanne Calment died in 1934 and was replaced by her daughter.
Excerpt from Wikipedia on this:

In 2018, Russian gerontologist Valery Novoselov and mathematician Nikolay Zak revived the theory that Calment died in 1934 and her daughter Yvonne, born in 1898, assumed her mother's official identity. [17] A Russian scientific journal rejected Zak's paper as being too informal, as did the bioRxiv preprint repository, and Zak published it instead on
ResearchGate , a social networking site for scientists and researchers. [5] The theory attracted widespread media attention around 30 December 2018 after postings by gerontology blogger Yuri Deigin went viral. [28][29]
[30][31] In January 2019, Zak's paper was accepted for publication in the journal Rejuvenation Research . [4]
Belgian demographer Michel Poulain said that although Zak's paper was detailed and made a good case, Jean-Marie Robine, one of two validators of Calment, said that she had correctly answered questions about things that her daughter could not have known. [32][33] Robine also dismissed the idea that the residents of Arles could have been duped by the switch. [33][34] Michel Allard, the second doctor who helped verify Calment's records, said that the team had considered the identity switch theory while Jeanne was still alive because she looked younger than her daughter in photographs, but similar discrepancies in the rates of aging are commonly found in families with centenarian members.

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by LucemFerre: 7:09am On Mar 20, 2019
So?
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by frank317: 7:21am On Mar 20, 2019
I hope ur God is happy now
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by iSpread(m): 7:27am On Mar 20, 2019
frank317:
I hope ur God is happy now
Don't mind him jare. God never set any age limits for Christians. He doesn't understand the gospel, he just picks a verse, copy and come and paste here.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by TVSA: 7:33am On Mar 20, 2019
People lived beyond that in the bible. It was probably misinterpreted

Numbers 33:39 KJV
And Aaron was an hundred and twenty and three years old when he died in mount Hor.

Genesis 35:28 (NKJV)
28 Now the days of Isaac were one hundred and eighty years.

Genesis 25:7 NKJV
7 This is the sum of the years of Abraham’s life which he lived: one hundred and seventy-five years

Genesis 47:9 KJV
And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by OpenYourEyes1: 9:22am On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:

And Aaron was an hundred and twenty and three years old when he died in mount Hor.

7 This is the sum of the years of Abraham’s life which he lived: one hundred and seventy-five years

And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.

I don't think it was a misinterpretion. People lived way long before the flood. It is not a coincidence that after GOD's pronouncement human lifespan began to shrink to this day

I was aware of those lifespan you posted before posting this. I saw alot of online argument for and against that part of the Bible.

I is clear that human lifespan began to shrink after GOD made the pronouncement. The pronouncement was probably for most of humans — more than 99% of humans do not surpass the limit.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 9:27am On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:

you hav to restrict your sample to post flood people.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 9:31am On Mar 20, 2019
I think the verse is a rough range rather than an absolute limit.
I believe that with advances in modern medicine may may surpass that mark but i think man with exceed it by very far. Not up to 200yrs i think but 150yrs should b doable.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by Seun(m): 9:45am On Mar 20, 2019
asalimpo:

Aaron and Moses are post-flood characters.

Jeanne Clement of France lived for 122 years and 164 days. She died in 1997 So the 120 year limit has been broken recently too.

21 Likes 10 Shares

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by OpenYourEyes1: 9:47am On Mar 20, 2019
asalimpo:

I believe that with advances in modern medicine may may surpass that mark but i think man with exceed it by very far. Not up to 200yrs i think but 150yrs should b doable.

And the end will come before this is achieved... It proves we are living in endtime
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by IdeeEsperanza(m): 11:37am On Mar 20, 2019
My great great grandfather lived 250 years.
Reason: Dude was always minding his business grin grin
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by TVSA: 11:46am On Mar 20, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

I don't think it was a misinterpretion. People lived way long before the flood. It is not a coincidence that after GOD's pronouncement human lifespan began to shrink to this day

I was aware of those lifespan you posted before posting this. I saw alot of online argument for and against that part of the Bible.

I is clear that human lifespan began to shrink after GOD made the pronouncement. The pronouncement was probably for most of humans — more than 99% of humans do not surpass the limit.

another interpretation was that God gave all men 120 years before the flood. That's more reasonable to me.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by TVSA: 11:47am On Mar 20, 2019
asalimpo:

they are all post flood
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by budaatum: 1:15pm On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:
People lived beyond that in the bible.
No they didn't! Remember how inadequate, stupid and blind I was when I wrote it so many millenia after the events themselves had happened?
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by OpenYourEyes1: 1:27pm On Mar 20, 2019
budaatum:

No they didn't! Remember how inadequate, stupid and blind I was when I wrote it so many millenia after the events themselves had happened?

Just as prophet Daniel wrote so many millenia after the 2nd destruction of Jerusalem had happened?
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by Maxi3k(m): 1:27pm On Mar 20, 2019
Op kilode

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by TVSA: 1:39pm On Mar 20, 2019
budaatum:

grin grin if there's a chance to edit the bible, many things will be removed.

1 Like

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by budaatum: 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:
There's alway been chances and things are constantly removed. However, there's a limit to which we can go now since many have copies of what's available today and further editing discredits it. So we do it in our minds instead, and hence is it called the living word of God. It lives in our minds and as our minds grow so does our capacity to comprehend grow and a new more relevant understanding and interpretation steps forth just as Christ did in the dark.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by TVSA: 2:22pm On Mar 20, 2019
budaatum:

There's alway been chances and things are constantly removed. However, there's a limit to which we can go now since many have copies of what's available today and further editing discredits it. So we do it in our minds instead, and hence is it called the living word of God. It lives in our minds and as our minds grow so does our capacity to comprehend grow and a new more relevant understanding and interpretation steps forth just as Christ did in the dark.
cheesy cheesy living word of God

1 Like

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by budaatum: 2:23pm On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:
cheesy cheesy living word of God
That's what one makes it if one breathes life into the words and lives it. Otherwise, it's lifeless words on the pages of just another book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by kufre2010: 2:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
The op is a sheeple

1 Like

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by finalboss(m): 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2019
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by IamAnderson(m): 7:18pm On Mar 20, 2019
it makes sense that people don't live older than 120 years because the human body cannot survive that long most of the time.
it's has a logical explanation it's not some amazing miracle
it's just like me predicting that dogs won't live up to 30years....we all know that dogs cannot survive up to that extent so obviously it's going to happen.
besides, those people that lived for 900or 800 and something years lived in a time where dates weren't properly recorded and our way of calculating years is different from that period.
the human body will literally degrade and fall apart even if the person is alive long before it's 300 years old not to talk of 900
before you assume that everything is a miracle, try to apply logic and reasoning, "I don't understand and can't be bothered to think and research" doesn't translate to miracle.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 7:44pm On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:
onanism would b removed. Solomon's songs would be expunged. Some bible verses don cause clergies to blush! Oddly enough,flee fornication would b altered. Hell nko? Only deeper life bibles would contain the original messages

1 Like

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 7:53pm On Mar 20, 2019
IamAnderson:
it makes sense that people don't live older than 120 years because the human body cannot survive that long most of the time.
it's has a logical explanation it's not some amazing miracle
it's just like me predicting that dogs won't live up to 30years....we all know that dogs cannot survive up to that extent so obviously it's going to happen.
besides, those people that lived for 900or 800 and something years lived in a time where dates weren't properly recorded and our way of calculating years is different from that period.
the human body will literally degrade and fall apart even if the person is alive long before it's 300 years old not to talk of 900
before you assume that everything is a miracle, try to apply logic and reasoning, "I don't understand and can't be bothered to think and research" doesn't translate to miracle.
So the bible is lying and your logic is right? Suit yourself. If the years were so much as wrong, critics would hav pointed it out long ago. Jesus also didnt walk on water right? That's a fable.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by MuttleyLaff: 8:36pm On Mar 20, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
Humans lived very long life before the flood until this:
"My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.” - Genesis 6:3

The only person who allegedly surpassed 120years was 122yrs old woman named Jeanne Calment and this is verifiable (similar claims have to be verifiable) according to wikipedia

However there are controversies surrounding the woman's real age. Some scientists believe the real Jeanne Calment died in 1934 and was replaced by her daughter.
Excerpt from Wikipedia on this:

In 2018, Russian gerontologist Valery Novoselov and mathematician Nikolay Zak revived the theory that Calment died in 1934 and her daughter Yvonne, born in 1898, assumed her mother's official identity. [17] A Russian scientific journal rejected Zak's paper as being too informal, as did the bioRxiv preprint repository, and Zak published it instead on
ResearchGate , a social networking site for scientists and researchers. [5] The theory attracted widespread media attention around 30 December 2018 after postings by gerontology blogger Yuri Deigin went viral. [28][29]
[30][31] In January 2019, Zak's paper was accepted for publication in the journal Rejuvenation Research . [4]
Belgian demographer Michel Poulain said that although Zak's paper was detailed and made a good case, Jean-Marie Robine, one of two validators of Calment, said that she had correctly answered questions about things that her daughter could not have known. [32][33] Robine also dismissed the idea that the residents of Arles could have been duped by the switch. [33][34] Michel Allard, the second doctor who helped verify Calment's records, said that the team had considered the identity switch theory while Jeanne was still alive because she looked younger than her daughter in photographs, but similar discrepancies in the rates of aging are commonly found in families with centenarian members.

TVSA:

OpenYourEyes1:

asalimpo:

asalimpo:
I think the verse is a rough range rather than an absolute limit.

asalimpo:
So the bible is lying and your logic is right? Suit yourself. If the years were so much as wrong, critics would hav pointed it out long ago. Jesus also didnt walk on water right? That's a fable.
"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years."
- Genesis 6:3

You guys are you all lying down facing the same direction false conclusion sha. Where did you all see and read in Genesis 6:3 that God was setting a lifespan limit per se, huh? How come you all dont recognise that the 120 years in Genesis 6:3 has nothing to do with setting life expectancy limit per se, at all, huh? People just like regurgitating stomached bullshits shoved down their throats by erring and ill-informed persons, pastors, teachers, friends etcetera

Genesis 6:3, is just another prophecy, similar to the Methuselah genealogy flood prophecy, but a better flavour, which this time, is homing in, on the exact time when the flood will happen, which for crying out loud, is 120 years time. So pack in all those your jagbajantis kicking penality to throw in nonsense please

1 Like

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by TVSA: 8:57pm On Mar 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years."

You guys are you all lying down facing the same direction false conclusion sha. Where did you all see and read in Genesis 6:3 that God was setting a lifespan limit per se, huh? How come you all dont recognise that the 120 years in Genesis 6:3 has nothing to do with setting life expectancy limit per se, at all, huh? People just like regurgitating stomached bullshits shoved down their throats by erring and ill-informed persons, pastors, teachers, friends etcetera

Genesis 6:3, is just another prophecy, similar to the Methuselah genealogy flood prophecy, but a better flavour, which this time, is homing in, on the exact time when the flood will happen, which for crying out loud, is 120 years time. So pack in all those your jagbajantis kicking penality to throw in nonsense please
baba, that was what I said later
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by MuttleyLaff: 9:01pm On Mar 20, 2019
TVSA:
baba, that was what I said later
If you did, then that's why I always dey gbadun you well well, though you be atheist, your head still deh there gidigba.

1 Like

Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 9:07pm On Mar 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

So God, prophesied the destruction of man by flood in Eden! Is that how you reason? And you deduced all tht from a verse that says his (man's) days (lifespan) shall be 120 yrs! Please that's too long a stretch. The typical interpretation is more logical and plausible.
God sent the flood in judgement because mankind had become wicked and depraved. Not that he planned to do so 120yrs after eden.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 9:13pm On Mar 20, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
If you did, then that's why I always dey gbadun you well well, though you be atheist, your head still deh there gidigba.
your angle looks plausible. I'll hav to research it then. So that verse has two plausible explanations: age of man scaled down or impending doom prophesied. It'll hav to b researched.
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by IamAnderson(m): 9:15pm On Mar 20, 2019
asalimpo:

how would you know if the "critics" have pointed it out since? do you read and research?
that has been settled a long time ago dude, I have known that since I was 16
and for a random person's logic to actually battle a book that has been said to be "inspired by god" then questions should be asked.
and besides I'm more educated than all those men that wrote the bible so my logic should be superior. if you'd rather follow the logic of tax collectors, fishermen and carpenters than follow the logic of educated 21st century scholars then who am I to question you wink
Re: No One Has Surpassed The 120yrs Age Limit Set By GOD by asalimpo(m): 9:37pm On Mar 20, 2019
IamAnderson:

how would you know if the "critics" have pointed it out since? do you read and research?
that has been settled a long time ago dude, I have known that since I was 16
and for a random person's logic to actually battle a book that has been said to be "inspired by god" then questions should be asked.
and besides I'm more educated than all those men that wrote the bible so my logic should be superior. if you'd rather follow the logic of tax collectors, fishermen and carpenters than follow the logic of educated 21st century scholars then who am I to question you wink
you are just big headed that's all. You have not torn the bible apart like some ppl have. The bible has been heavily scrutinized. Highly acid tested. Jesus existence has been scrutinized thoroughly. Science has time and time again found out that the bible anticipated them. So it's not a trivial issue of counting, that very educated highly reverent scholars (yes they didnt hav modern tools we take for granted today but they were no less intelligent than us) would screw up.
The knowledge you know is very old and irrelevant in issues of bible debate.
Your so called logic of fisher men being obsolete etc. That's funny. Has human nature changed? Has technology cured sinful man's evil nature? Tech comes and goes the word of God is timeless and will always b relevant. 1 million years from now even.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mugo Wa Kibiru The Kikuyu Seer Who Predicted The Coming Of The White Man / 2023 Top 10 Richest Pastors In Edo State And Their Net Worth / Weigh Your Pastor's Anointing Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.