Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,714 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ (942 Views)

Our Presidential Candidate Will Be Voted By All Party Members – PDP / Failure To Pick Tinubu As The VP Candidate Will Tear APC Apart. / 2011: A Presidential Candidate Will Die! T.b. Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by oladayo042: 1:01pm On Sep 05, 2010
Babatunde Gbadamosi is the Director of Amen Estates and a PDP gubernatorial aspirant in Lagos State. He speaks on governance and politics in the state. Excerpt:

What is your political background?

I lived mostly with my grandfather, who was one of Action Group’s financiers. He taught me that service to the people is more than any amount of money one could ever make in the world. As I grew up, I began to see what he meant as I observed different governments fail their people repeatedly.

I was a member of NADECO (National Democratic Coalition) in the UK and we internationalised the fight against Abacha’s dictatorial rule. I want to believe that my activities then contributed in some small way to the advent of democracy in Nigeria.

Your grandfather was a member of Awolowo’s party, why did you join the PDP?

Many people from Awolowo’s political heritage moved into PDP by 2003. So, those claiming to be Awoist now are the furthest from Awoism. If Awolowo is to rule Lagos for 12 years, it won’t be like it is now.

I have been a sympathiser of PDP since 2002 because of things I heard President Olusegun Obasanjo say then and started supporting the party actively since 2006 prior to the general elections. I admired Obasanjo for being a quiet achiever. He never makes noise about his achievement. If you are a businessman before Obasanjo’s regime, you will appreciate how he stimulated the economy within a few years.

He sorted our poor international image almost totally. Nigeria’s debt was a millstone around our neck and we could have drowned because of it. We had our first reconnaissance equipment, an imaging satellite, also. What about the Universal Basic Education, anticorruption campaign, the national economic empowerment strategy, revamping of NIPOST, increase in agro-allied and nonoil exports.

If AC builds a drain, they will construct a billboard that is costlier than the drain itself but Obasanjo just got on with his work, refusing to buy into media hoopla. And that is what I will do when I get into office.

The PDP is the only party with a national outlook. The interest of Lagosians will be better protected in PDP because government at the centre does not interfere with those at the state level.

I simply want to key Lagos into all the exciting things that are happening at the federal level. We are missing out on a lot. Whatever is being done at the federal level will be replicated and improved upon.

What are your plans for Lagos?

I believe I can make a difference in issues that matter to Lagosians. Power generation and road infrastructure are important.

We did a study and discovered that an estimate of N30 billion is expended on power generation daily in Lagos. So, power generation will be a major problem I will solve. Again, we are hearing of fantastic figures being spent on infrastructure by the current government. The figures and the projects do not match at all. We have not seen the money they say they are spending in action.

Can you imagine that LASU-Iba road costs N500 million per kilometre? Adeniran Ogunsanya is just about 3km and there is allegation it was awarded for N11.6 billion. The backstreets of Lagos is in complete mess because the local governments are not allowed to function. The only impact local councils have is in revenue collection. After 11 years, Lagosians still spend about 20 percent of their time in traffic.

I am not saying they didn’t spend the money; all I’m saying is that I will spend a lot less for the same quality of roads. What I want to do is to make our taxes go further than they presently do. Roads construction won’t cost as much as they do now because corruption will be fought to the minimal. Of course we know that will be difficult but it can be done.

Public education, water supply and hygienic environment will closely follow. Healthcare is almost beyond manageability in Lagos now because hygiene is low.

What are your chances in the PDP, knowing that some have been in the race for years now?

PDP in Lagos still has the best internal democracy and our people are sophisticated electorate who know the quality of leaders that can match any competition. The party elders and executives are very wise people who know the terrain and I believe in their ability to lead the party aright. I believe the best aspirant will emerge the party candidate and any such aspirant will surely win Lagos’s gubernatorial election in 2011.

Do you foresee a credible general election in 2011?

A credible election is the job of every Nigerian, especially the youth. I want to tell the youth that it’s not cool not to vote. You have no swagger if you don’t vote. So, get your swagger on, register, vote, and defend your vote because you are taking control of your future by doing that.

Also, the media, especially electronic, has a major role to play and we must harness it. We can use our mobile phones to record election proceedings, take pictures and upload such content unto the Internet.

What’s your assessment of Fashola’s administration?

Of course you can see what he has done but I want people, when assessing the governor to do so in the knowledge of the amount of money at his disposal, not only the internally generated revenue but also the international grants.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5614761-146/any_pdp_candidate_will_win_in.csp
Re: ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by dlox01(m): 4:25pm On Sep 07, 2010
i reserve my comment about this 'coward' because i don't want to give this 'crazy crook' unnecessary attention. Trust me this guy is not worth talking about,just ignore him!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by desgiezd(m): 4:48pm On Sep 07, 2010
I simply want to key Lagos into all the exciting things that are happening at the federal level. We are missing out on a lot. Whatever is being done at the federal level will be replicated and improved upon.

Mr. Dreamer, what are those exciting things happening at the Federal level? If you are talking of un-imaginable level of corruption, I will say "yes", it is exciting to PDP people.

PDP in Lagos still has the best internal democracy and our people are sophisticated electorate who know the quality of leaders that can match any competition. The party elders and executives are very wise people who know the terrain and I believe in their ability to lead the party aright. I believe the best aspirant will emerge the party candidate and any such aspirant will surely win Lagos’s gubernatorial election in 2011.

Keep dreaming!!
Re: ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by Alxmyr(m): 5:42pm On Sep 07, 2010
IS IT THE SAME PDP THAT WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS ROGUE IS TALKING ABOUT?
Re: ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by seanet02: 6:10pm On Sep 07, 2010
Alxmyr:

IS IT THE SAME PDP THAT WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS ROGUE IS TALKING ABOUT?

ILLUSION
Re: ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by OAM4J: 6:30pm On Sep 07, 2010
Somebody should please wake up this Gbadamosi guy that we are now in 2010.

BTW, the name Gbadamosi is repulsive to me. Someone has messed up that name big time undecided
Re: ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’ by baslone: 6:42pm On Sep 07, 2010
desgiezd:

Mr. Dreamer[b], what are those exciting things happening at the Federal level?[/b] If you are talking of un-imaginable level of corruption, I will say "yes", it is exciting to PDP people.

Keep dreaming!!

Ha Ha! Go Oyo state go find out what Lagos is missing!

About 32 foreign trips in search of investors without result, separate
weddings for 4 children, 2 burial ceremonies for relatives, birthday party for self!

(1) (Reply)

Abuja: The Eagle Will Be Landing Tomorrow In Abuja / Guys Pls Read Dis,Nass Pay(Nigeria) Vs Nass Pay(Other Countries) / Is Our Nigeria Police Force A Curse Or Blissing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.