Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos (30365 Views)

"I Was Raped By SARS Two Years Ago" - Young Woman Narrates Ordeal (Video) / Inmate Gives Birth To Twins In Calabar Prison (Photos) / Maryam Sanda On Her Way To Prison (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by PrettyCrystal: 9:46pm On Mar 21, 2019
An innocent man who was sentenced to prison - regained his freedom after spending 24 years. The man identified as Olaide Olatunji narrated how he was wrongly arrested, falsely accused of conspiracy to commit murder and thrown in jail after the torture and beatings by the police.

The man who was condemned to death - narrated his story to Joint Legal Action Aids after his release from prison. Read below;

HOW IT STARTED.
I trained as a photographer but back in the 80s I didn’t have enough photography work to sustain me so I worked with my father who traded in cattle. My father was an old man so I joined him and I used to go to the bush to buy the animals. I was married with two sons....

That year, as the time for the Ileya Festival drew closer, we were going to supply some companies with cattle so I had to go and buy them from Niger state. He listed all the things that I was going to buy – cows, rams and goats. I left Lagos on the 30th of May, 1988 to Gwari in Niger state. I had to go inside the bush to select the animals I wanted so that I would get a trailer to convey them to Lagos.

THE ARREST.
Because of the language barrier, I needed an interpreter for the negotiations. We were in the bush when some policemen came and asked me if I was a visitor. I said yes, I was a visitor that I had been coming to the village for many years. The man said they were looking for people who ran into the bush.

I said I didn’t know anything about it that I was selecting rams there. Then they arrested me and took me to the police station even though the interpreter told them I had been coming to the village for some time.

The next day, the 1st of June, they said the case could not be handled at that station and it was transferred to the State CID at Niger. From there they transferred me to Ilorin in Kwara state. All the while, I never knew what they were accusing me of. After a week, some policemen came from Lagos, they said they were from the Anti-Terrorsist squad and they conveyed me and some people that were arrested with me to Lagos.

PAIN , TORTURE AND TRIAL
They took me to Adeniji Adele Police Station, Lagos. That was when they started giving me hell. They hung me, beat and tortured me. That was the day I knew they were accusing me of murder. They said somebody was killed in Lagos and his car was snatched and they later found the car around the village where I was in Gwari.

The policemen said the people fled into the bush that was why they were looking for visitors around that area. All the while I had no idea why I had been arrested. The confessional statement in my case file, they wrote it themselves and forced me to sign. After that they transferred me to Ikoyi Prison and that was where they resumed another round of torture.

I spent almost 9 months there before they took me to court with four other men. I didn’t even know those men. They charged us all for conspiracy to murder. My lawyer told me to plead ‘Not Guilty’ so I did and from there they took me to Kirikiri Medium Security Prison.

They put me in a condemned cell. It was hell on earth. They kept 9 of us in a very small room. That was where we took our bath, ate, slept, defecated and eased ourselves. There were no beds. Who would give us beds? By law, they don’t let any condemned man come out. But sometimes, they let us out for about one hour in a day. Life in the prison was very rough. There, I hardly slept. The prison authorities gave us food but not good food.

WIFE AND CHILDREN

As a young woman, if my wife was my sister, I would have even advised her to marry someone else because no one knew when I was going to come out. I won’t advice my sister to wait for a man who doesn’t have hope of coming out. She has married again and I don’t feel bad about it. My children used to come once in a while but they don’t really know me. Now that I am out, they will know me better.

THE CALL TO CHANGE AND GO HOME.

On the 5th of June 2012, they called me to come to the Welfare Unit to get the progress of my case. I said I wasn’t not going there. Some people that were sitting with me said I should go but I said I wasn’t going, that they will just be lying to me. Later I called Pastor Popoola. He said “Egbon” (Big brother), I said “wetin be dat” (what is it?). He said “o ti sele o” (It has happened). He said the court of Appeal has let me go. I just started shouting, I didn’t know what to do, how to thank him. I was very happy.

See more; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2019/03/olaide-olatunji-narrates-ordeal-after-spending-24-years-in-prison.html

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2019
With no compensation?

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Officialgarri: 9:50pm On Mar 21, 2019
So many innocents in the prison .

All I know is, the court only convicts one who can't afford a reputable lawyer .

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by BEANSANDBREAD00(m): 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2019
Ehya
Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Lloydthesaint: 9:58pm On Mar 21, 2019
The man will live s useless life till he dies

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Lloydthesaint: 9:58pm On Mar 21, 2019
The man will live a useless life till he dies

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Alexk2(m): 10:03pm On Mar 21, 2019
Haaaa, what a country! Cases like this makes me wonder what sort of country is this? It happened in 1988 when some of us believe things were better off, these days hmmmmm cry cry cry

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Bizznezz: 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2019
it happens everywhere ...these are some of the failures of the legal system

25 Likes

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Mariangeles(f): 10:13pm On Mar 21, 2019
So sad ! embarassed

I wonder how he felt all those years... cry

May we never be in a place at the wrong time ...

79 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by icedee1: 10:15pm On Mar 21, 2019
Lloydthesaint:
The man will live s useless life till he dies
Are you God that will determine how he will live the rest of his life.....they condemned him wrongly now you too are joining them to condemn him with your mouth.may God help you ooo.

131 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by slivertongue: 10:19pm On Mar 21, 2019
THIS WORLD IS WICKED

4 Likes

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:27pm On Mar 21, 2019
happens ALL OVER THE WORLD

4 Likes

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by AfroMighty(m): 10:50pm On Mar 21, 2019
I don't know why I hate the Nigerian police force so much.... maybe this is one of the reasons...

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 21, 2019
Chia cry cry

1 Like

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by babadigu(m): 3:01am On Mar 22, 2019
fight for the country to compensate u !
search for help everywhere...press... civil rights associations and so...and so...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by ChangeIsCostant: 6:37am On Mar 22, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by PussyKing(m): 10:13am On Mar 22, 2019
sad Buhari should be punished for imprisoning this man

1 Like

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by chuks34(m): 10:14am On Mar 22, 2019
what a world.
I wonder how his wife will feel
Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by slawomir: 10:14am On Mar 22, 2019
Okay
Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Bgqwsdftk: 10:16am On Mar 22, 2019
Wow

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Smartphelz: 10:18am On Mar 22, 2019
This country is really messed up in many ways. One would have thought the headline would have read man immensely compensated for wrongful sentence. Rather its just the sob story. Yet another individual Nigeria has failed

5 Likes

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Kendumazy(m): 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
Sad

2 Likes

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by announcement: 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
JUST LIKE THAT FREED WITHOUT COMPENSATION? PLEASE GOOD LAWYERS

AT HEART OF THIS NATION ARISE AND FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT OF THIS

MAN TO BE HEAVILY ..HEAVILY.. HEAVILY COMPENSATED FOR SERVING A

JAIL TERM HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT FOR 24 YEAR.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by sacajawea: 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
wink
Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by stanliwise(m): 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
happens ALL OVER THE WORLD
Is your statement a justification for the failure of the Nigeria legal system. God have mercy.

7 Likes

Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by jericco1(m): 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
at least our justice system is still functioning
Re: Man Condemned To Death, Narrates Ordeal After Spending 24 Years In Prison.Photos by Grace001: 10:20am On Mar 22, 2019
If you still have hope in this useless failed country call Nigeria “you’re toying with your life” the early you accept that this country has nothing to offer the better for you to start making good plans for yourself.

If this could happen to an innocent common man in 1988, and Nigeria judiciary system didn’t even make provision to revisit the case to investigate further then what hope do you have in this shitt hole of a country? This is just one case out of numerous cases of innocent people jailed unjustly. No any compensation and you’d expect this kind of person to go into the society to be law and abiding citizen. Indeed there was a country.

This country is a dream killer, if care is not taken this country will useless your life and you begin to wonder if it’s your village people that are after your life. Actually it’s not your village people, Nigeria is just a country design to frustrate and render masses life useless, most especially youths with poor background.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Herdsmen Hit Benue Again, With Fresh Attack - Daily Sun / Prophet Temidayo Afolabi Accused Of Raping 13-year-Old Church Member / SS1 Student Stabbed To Death By Her Neighbour In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.