Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring (28324 Views)

Chess In Slums: I Have Personally Adopted 6 Children - Tunde Onakoya / Cristiano Ronaldo And Lionel Messi Play Chess In Louis Vuitton Ad / Profile Of Tunde Onakoya, Chess In Slums Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by DelphiOracle(m): 9:32pm On Mar 22, 2019
This reminds me of one African film. Forgot the name shaa. But was interesting.

Meanwhile this is a fine development
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by midnighter(f): 9:32pm On Mar 22, 2019
This is lovely kiss im sure there are some champions in there

They should teach me ohh...one of my teachers taught me to play in primary school but i have long since forgotten.

Nowadays when i see people playing it i feel _stupid embarassed i cant even get past the "practice" level on my phone lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by SweetBuns(f): 9:32pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:
Nigerian children have low iq to understand chess

That's the truth

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by peacettw: 9:32pm On Mar 22, 2019
nepapole:

Yh....i think "interest" is the issue. I like scrabble instead and play it good enuf.

Love scrabble as well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Fsekillmonger: 9:33pm On Mar 22, 2019
AntiWailer:
Queen of Katwa

Lol no mind the girl wey act that movie..instead of take up chess classes for real...n.a. some dance performances she go dey do,dey carry Lolita up and down...

When my crypto money set will definately open a club in my hood
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by dheaven: 9:33pm On Mar 22, 2019
Chess game sharpens brain. Its good they learn it in a tender age like this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by peacettw: 9:33pm On Mar 22, 2019
DelphiOracle:

The African film is Queen of Katwe

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by martius101(m): 9:33pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's the truth

Mumuite

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nepapole(m): 9:34pm On Mar 22, 2019
mperornero:
go to play store search for "chess offline " you go learn am within 2days
Will try that.
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nepapole(m): 9:35pm On Mar 22, 2019
peacettw:

Love scrabble as well.
Great.
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by prettyjo(f): 9:36pm On Mar 22, 2019
Chess was actually the first game I learnt
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's the truth
See the word coming out from a Nigeria adult, as if he was not once a Nigeria child.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by SaturnNick(m): 9:41pm On Mar 22, 2019
peacettw:
Awwww.
Recently watched the movie "Queen of Katwe" last week. A movie produced by Disney in 2016 on slum kids who learnt how to play chess starring Lupita Nyongo.
Loved the movie. It was truly inspirational.
I guess this idea came from the movie.
Well done
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by udemzyudex(m): 9:42pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's the truth

Liar

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Mariangeles(f): 9:42pm On Mar 22, 2019
[s]
Earthquake2:

That's the truth
[/s] Stop typing rubbish ! angry

Nigerian children have proven themselves on the world stage time and again...don't just type for the sake of typing angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by ewizard1: 9:46pm On Mar 22, 2019
nepapole:
I dont know y i jus cant understand this game. But i am not dull na.

princeking2:
Nice one.
Knowledge can meet you at different points.
However, I am yet to understand this game, truly.

Abi ooo. I dey una club ooo! grin
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Just2endowed2(m): 9:48pm On Mar 22, 2019
peacettw:
Awwww.
Recently watched the movie "Queen of Katwe" last week. A movie produced by Disney in 2016 on slum kids who learnt how to play chess starring Lupita Nyongo.
Loved the movie. It was truly inspirational.
I guess this idea came from the movie.
Well done

It was a true life movie. Love it too and it is a very inspirational movie.
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by cifo1145(m): 9:49pm On Mar 22, 2019
Imortal001:
Plaining to have a chess club in the nearest future. chess is more than a game. if you know, you know.
Join CheckMates n discover how badly u play.
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Teewhy2: 9:49pm On Mar 22, 2019
PrinzCarter:
u dey see road after come collect 2 cold star n bread grin

Baba thanks add pap and locust beans join am.
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nymphomaniac(m): 9:52pm On Mar 22, 2019
Poseidon is the username on Lichess. Abeg add up and beat me.

On the topic, chess is a beautiful game. I can't say more than that and I am glad the kids are learning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nymphomaniac(m): 9:52pm On Mar 22, 2019
cifo1145:

Join CheckMates n discover how badly u play.
add me. Number in siggy
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 22, 2019
Teewhy2:

undecided
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by cifo1145(m): 9:55pm On Mar 22, 2019
joywendy:

Despite the few scholarships offered to some of the children, it's a huge goal to ensure that all of the children under the Initiative have access to education. Most of them live in abject poverty and can't afford basic stationary items to even stay in school. With this in mind, a fundraiser have been created to help the initiative better the lives of these kids.

If you would like to support the initiative

Here is the link to donate:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-support-chess-in-the-slums-in-nigeria

I'ld like to join this initiative so I can support it with both cash n kind...I'm a strong lover of the game of strategy. Please email or WhatsApp me with the needful info. Cifo1145@gmail.com or 08053126947.

B.Regard

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by SirKriz(m): 9:57pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's the truth

It's that same low IQ that made you post this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by bluefilm: 10:00pm On Mar 22, 2019
Jiang:

The game is over hyped, booring as fuvck when you are too good & ur opponent is an amateur, And extremely time consuming if your opponent is good.

In summary, god of war is MUCH MORE ENTERTAINING, as you get to enjoy the feeling of slaying old gods, giants & mythical creatures who get in ur way

I think I see your point.

Chess is not really all that an interesting game.

At least, to me.
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by dapillar: 10:04pm On Mar 22, 2019
OWU na bad tin infact anywhere u see poverty just jump am pass.

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by PrinzCarter(m): 10:04pm On Mar 22, 2019
Teewhy2:

OK ooo na over feeding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Num07033711115(m): 10:07pm On Mar 22, 2019
Diss
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by jefff455: 10:08pm On Mar 22, 2019
Qween of katwe is what might gave motivated him

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by jefff455: 10:09pm On Mar 22, 2019
DelphiOracle:

queen of katwe right

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by sparkle6(m): 10:15pm On Mar 22, 2019
princeking2:
Nice one.
Knowledge can meet you at different points.
However, I am yet to understand this game, truly.
Bro is quite simple na. Play it with your andriod, you will get the ish quickly.
But that game requires critical thinking o. It aint for dull brains.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by sparkle6(m): 10:18pm On Mar 22, 2019
prettyjo:
Chess was actually the first game I learnt
I bet my left ball that you cant win me in 3 different sets.
I will drop 2 pawns and 1 castle for you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Spanish FA Wants To Sue The Female Player That Was Kissed By It's President / Jose Peseiro Quits As Head Coach Of The Super Eagles - Pulse Sports / Picture Of Jarus Meeting Super Eagles Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.