Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,537 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard (3065 Views)

Ndidi & Mezuo Nwuneli First Couple To Deliver Keynote At Harvard Business School / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School / PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by IkpuMmadu: 7:13am On Mar 23, 2019
CELEBRATING The FIRST NIGERIAN TO BE APPOINTED PROFESSOR IN HARVARD SCHOOL OF LAW AT AGE 43- MEET PROF. DAHLIA UMUNNA.

Dahlia Umunna, 43 years old is the first Nigerian to be appointed Professor in Harvard School of Law. Let us celebrate her for the feat.

Dehlia Umunna was appointed Clinical Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. She has been a lecturer at HLS since 2007, and is Deputy Director and Clinical Instructor at HLS’s Criminal Justice Institute (CJI), in which she supervises third-year law students in their representation of adult and juvenile clients in criminal and juvenile proceedings and arguments before Massachusetts’ Supreme Judicial Court and Appeals court.

“Dehlia’s students revere her; her colleagues at HLS and nationally look to her as an exemplary advocate, teacher, and mentor,” said Martha Minow, dean of Harvard Law School. “From her unprecedented win record in criminal defense trials, her deft leadership of the Criminal Justice Institute day-to-day, and her superb coaching of student moot court teams, her published scholarship, to her numerous awards in recognition of her outstanding work as a criminal defense attorney, advisor, and teacher, Dehlia is simply extraordinary, an inspiration to her students and her clients in every way. It is a true privilege to be her colleague.”

Prior to coming to Harvard Law School, Umunna was a trial attorney with the D.C. Public Defender Service and an adjunct professor of law and Practitioner in Residence at the Washington College of Law, American University. She currently serves as a faculty member for Gideon’s Promise, and is a frequent presenter at Public Defender trainings across the country. She was a board member of the District of Columbia Law Students in Court Clinic and was a guest lecturer for several years at the George Washington University Law School.

She is the author of the article “Rethinking the Neighborhood Watch: How Lessons from the Nigerian Village Can Creatively Empower the Community to Assist Poor, Single Mothers in America,” published in the American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law.

“I am blessed and honored to join Harvard Law School’s remarkable faculty,” said Umunna. “I relish this extraordinary opportunity to continue work that I am truly passionate about, and I am grateful for the deep interest and commitment of the school to issues of criminal justice, mass incarceration, indigent defense and social justice.”

Umunna received her law degree from the George Washington University Law Center. She also holds a Masters in Public Administration (MC) from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and a B.A. in Communications from California State University, San Bernardino.

https://etimes.com.ng/celebrating-the-first-nigerian-to-be-appointed-professor-in-harvard-school-of-law-at-age-43-meet-prof-dahlia-umunna/

3 Likes

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by GavelSlam: 7:34am On Mar 23, 2019
Not first Nigerian Professor at Havard, and certainly not the first Nigerian Professor of Law at Harvard.

Biodun Jeyifo for instance, is a Professor of African and African American Studies and of Comparative Literature at Harvard.

Ruth Lade Okediji is a Professor of Law specializing in intellectual property.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 23, 2019
GavelSlam:
Not first Nigerian Professor at Havard, and certainly not the first Nigerian Professor of Law at Harvard.

Biodun Jeyifo for instance, is a Professor of African and African American Studies and of Comparative Literature at Harvard.

Op is wrong and this thread is misleading. Apart from the above names you mentioned, there’s also Jacob K. Olupona. He is a professor of African and African American Studies in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by judgementyard(m): 9:01am On Mar 23, 2019
Op pls check your facts,is she the first Nigerian professor at Harvard?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by Pearlyakin(m): 10:32am On Mar 23, 2019
What about Professor Olupona and Professor wande abimbola ?
OP you suppose chop slap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by LKO(m): 12:42pm On Mar 23, 2019
GavelSlam:

O you just reminded me of Prof Biodun Jeyifo of Harvard. First met him in 2009 in Warri when he came to deliver a lecture as part of activities to mark the burial programme of Late Prof Friday Omafume Onoge a renowned scholar.

I have always dreamt of becoming a lecturer one day, God that dream is in your hands, make it a reality. I just want to teach people and see them excel, passion for the job not for money.

Congrats to the woman.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by grandstar(m): 12:59pm On Mar 23, 2019
Shes look 28. I'm Western lands, they are very weight conscious.

Wish her the best
Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by 9jaBloke: 2:03pm On Mar 23, 2019
Kudos!!!

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by Bede2u(m): 2:23pm On Mar 23, 2019
B4 I opened this thread I knew the person would be either Igbo or yoruba. The hausa fulani has about 70 million people in their tribe...yet they are hardly in the news for good reason. Hardly.

Just imagine if south nigeria was a different country. Just imagine that really. With oil? Chai.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by nicepoker101(m): 3:00pm On Mar 23, 2019
Thread for bigots.
Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by ogawisdom(m): 3:38pm On Mar 23, 2019
Biafran girl

Nwa afo igbo

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by HajimeSaito(m): 9:28pm On Mar 23, 2019
Let's be honest. Even before opening this thread we all knew it was never going to be a hijab wearing mo-ron.

1 Like

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by Khaleell001(m): 10:57pm On Mar 23, 2019
Bede2u:
B4 I opened this thread I knew the person would be either Igbo or yoruba. The hausa fulani has about 70 million people in their tribe...yet they are hardly in the news for good reason. Hardly.

Just imagine if south nigeria was a different country. Just imagine that really. With oil? Chai.
tribal bigots.

but one of their sons(Dangote) is not always in the news for good reasons.
lt seems your brain is paining you.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by Nobody: 11:00pm On Mar 23, 2019
Wonderful! I read about her earlier. cool
Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by Bede2u(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2019
Khaleell001:
tribal bigots.

but one of their sons(Dangote) is not always in the news for good reasons.
lt seems your brain is paining you.
just imagine if south nigeria was a country and north nigeria was another country. Which one will u want to live in?

Re: Celebrating The First Nigerian To Be A Professor At Harvard by googi: 12:41am On Apr 25, 2019
You guys are something else talking about recent Professors at Harvard.

Check out Professor Adetokunbo Lucas of Global Health at Harvard and many before him.

You guys are funny, no be small.

(1) (Reply)

The Cost Of running Msc Program In Uniben, OAU And UI / 10 Great Wisdom Of Ants That Will Change Your Life Forever. / Take Note Of This, They Are Really Damaging Your Kidney Slowwwly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.