Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,696 members, 7,862,178 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:37 AM

Simply Resting - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Simply Resting (641 Views)

"You Are My Resting Place" By Starlingslimnet , Short Audio / Picture Of A Man Resting In His Grave / Your Eternal Resting Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Simply Resting by Yefet(m): 1:10pm On Sep 06, 2010
6/9/2010

SIMPLY RESTING

Read Psalm 61:1-4

1 Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. 2 From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 3 For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. 4 I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

We sometimes have to tell certain individuals to take a break; to look after themselves rather than exhaust themselves in caring for others or in general busyness. Some such people find this hard: life is all about doing, performing, speaking, deciding, initiating. The idea of simply sitting back to receive refreshment or rest is foreign to them.

It can happen in our relationship with God. Sometimes he calls us to be up and about fighting the good fight, labouring hard to overcome adversity. At other times, all we can do is rest in his arms. The Psalmist knew all about being on active service for God. But he also knew there were times when his own weakness and faintness meant he could only cry out to God for help. He needed a rock that was over and above his own perilous circumstances. He needed safe shelter from the storms around him.

As the quaint old saying goes, there is a time to wrestle and a time to nestle. No point lethargically sitting back hoping God is going to do it all for us if we are fit and able to contribute. Then again, no point in heroically trying to be busy and active if we are simply incapable of it.

God is not a harsh taskmaster. He knows there are times when leaning on the rock or settling under his wings is the right thing to do and the right place to be. We are to let him take care of us for as long as it takes. We are to remind ourselves that sometimes it is more blessed to receive than to give.

Blessings

David Reay

http://www.hope1032.com.au LifeWords 6/9/2010

(1) (Reply)

Sermon Of Tawheed (monotheism) By Imam Ali (as) / The Jews Have To Protect Themselves From Their More Dangerous Neighbours. / Warning All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.