Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,980 members, 7,956,661 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:28 PM

Ogun State Speaker Impeached - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun State Speaker Impeached (4848 Views)

Eugene-odoh, Enugu Speaker Impeached / Ebonyi Assembly Speaker Impeached, HON Helen Nwaobasi emerges New Speaker(PIC) / Rivers' Speaker Impeached, Amaechi Storms Assembly As Fight Erupts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5615650-146/ogun_state_speaker_impeached__.csp

The Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Tunji Egbetokun, has reportedly been impeached.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that a source in the House said that Mr Egbetokun was removed, and Yemi Coker (Odeda Constituency) was appointed as the new speaker. The impeachment was reportedly carried out by a group of nine members of the House sympathetic to the state government. The lawmakers allegedly arrived at the Assembly Complex as early as 7am, and went into the chambers where they conducted proceedings with a mace said to have been obtained from the Abeokuta North Local Government Area. The Ogun State House of Assembly is composed of 26 lawmakers, two of whom are currently on suspension.

According to the source, Mr Coker, in his inaugural speech, said the action had become necessary because of the gross misconduct of the impeached speaker. He said the action was taken to save the government from being crippled by Mr Egbetokun and his team. Musa Daura, the state's Commissioner of Police, who visited the Assembly complex around 9.30am with a team of police officers, declined to comment on the development. Journalists and staff of the Assembly were barred from the complex.

Mr Egbetokun, in a telephone conversation with NAN, described the incident as a joke. "They are just nine, even if they were 11; they could not even have removed the speaker," he said. "They are acting for some people and we are watching and we are also on top of the situation. The regime of President Goodluck Jonathan will not condone such illegality.

We will watch for the next 24 hours and we will fight back." He alleged that the action was taken to scuttle the debate on the controversial N100 billion bond scheduled for Wednesday. Mr Egbetokun became the Speaker in May 2008 following the impeachment of former Speaker, Titi Oseni.

Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by desgiezd(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2010
My Mathematics or is it Arithmetic tells me that out of 26 members of the house less two members on suspension gives a balance of 24 members. How could 9 members now become two-thirds of 24? Shouldn't that have been 16?

These supposedly lawmakers have indeed become lawless lawbreakers!
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by seanet03: 5:38pm On Sep 06, 2010
desgiezd:

My Mathematics or is it Arithmetic tells me that out of 26 members of the house less two members on suspension gives a balance of 24 members. How could 9 members now become two-thirds of 24? Shouldn't that have been 16?

These supposedly lawmakers have indeed become lawless lawbreakers!
how did 6 members IMPEACHED LADOJA during OBJS regime, my friend that is THE FEDERAL RECKLESSNESS OF NIGERIA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by tkb417(m): 5:39pm On Sep 06, 2010
one would know the 9 memmbers know thier actions are null and void

they are just scheming to cause unrest in the house so they can perpetrate their evil acts

i expect the Police to withdraw the security detail to Egbetokun; if na me be speaker, this is the time to run to abuja cos the Emperoh might hack him down anytime from now
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 5:45pm On Sep 06, 2010
When we chastise Jonathan for his failure to show leadership , with how he is totally distracted with trying to buy a win in 2011, his fans come here making rabid noise. This impeachment is a blatant attempt of the OGD-led Government to gain a 100 billion naira 'retirement' fund. The lawmakers are firmly against this shameless and non-too-subtle attempt at daylight robbery  . Naturally, OGD and his acolytes know that the speaker must go to pave the way for a 'friendly' Speaker that will 'move things along' . OGD is encouraged to act like this because he knows that the President will turn a blind eye to his lawlessness.

Jonathan will not see the need to urgently get involved , since Daniel has sworn allegiance, to prevent blatant and desperate looting of Ogun State coffers but he is happy to deploy every EFCC operative against those who are against his 2011 ambitions. Ogun State may go broke but that is no concern to GEJ since Daniel is now an "untouchable" .

Is this the type of President we want to give a 4 year term to? A President who will hound his enemies yet ignore those who are getting away with murder because they are his pals ? Have we not been down this road many times before ?  Jonathan's  kinsmen may support him blindly but that is because they are failing to take off their ethnic goggles to note the putrefication going on under their kinsman. If any State Government deserves the immediate attention of the EFCC it is Ogun State under the ruinous leadership of OGD. Our compromised President will not act since Daniel has promised to deliver Ogun State.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5615559-146/crisis_rocks_ogun_assembly_over_plot.csp

Crisis rocks Ogun Assembly over plot to impeach Speaker

September 6, 2010 12:52PM

A crisis has erupted in the Ogun State House of Assembly over a plot to impeach the Speaker, Tunji Egbetokun. The police have taken over the premises, and members of staff are being prevented from entering.

Mr Egbetokun says the attempt is to scuttle Wednesday's bond debate. He insists that "he still remains in power", adding that the "governor is fearful to attend the debate."

The state lawmakers had challenged the state governor, Gbenga Daniel, to a public debate, after they declined to back the N100 billion bond, claiming there were loopholes in the documents backing the bid.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by naso2(m): 5:47pm On Sep 06, 2010
seanet03:

how did 6 members IMPEACHED LADOJA during OBJS regime, my friend that is THE FEDERAL RECKLESSNESS OF NIGERIA

My friend always get your facts right. When did 6 members impeach ladoja? must you tell lies to make a point?

LADOJA REINSTATED IN OYO STATE-PM NEWS, Lagos

-by Gbenro Adesina/Ibadan, Ayo Lawal, Tokunbo Olajide, Alawode Adebobola, Tunji Adewunmi

Supporters of the impeached Governor of Oyo State, Alhaji Rasheed Adewolu Ladoja, broke into wild jubilation this morning, as the Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan declared the impeachment process as illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.

Reinstating the governor, the presiding Judge J.O. Ogebe ruled that if the incumbent administration led by Christopher Alao-Akala goes to Supreme Court, it would not win stressing that the process of the impeachment of Governor Ladoja was absolutely faulty.

Among the eight faulty processes were: the sitting of the legislators in an hotel rather than the State House of Assembly to deliberate on the impeachment; sending the notice of impeachment through the newspapers; [size=15pt]impeachment carried out by 18 rather than 22 legislators;[/size] unavailability of affidavit of suspension; the time-frame of the process; and the declaration of lack of jurisdiction by the High Court, thereby declaring the process null and void.
Many lawyers hailed the ruling as a victory for democracy and a lesson to Nigerians in general.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-appeal-court-overturn-ladojas-impeachment-oyo-state

Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by naso2(m): 5:48pm On Sep 06, 2010
And Gbawe shows up again to blame GEJ for this. . . . . grin grin grin You go kill person with laugh for here.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 5:58pm On Sep 06, 2010
na_so:

And Gbawe shows up again to blame GEJ for this. . . . . grin grin grin You go kill person with laugh for here.

I am beginning to tire of you . When will you start dealing with the issues raised? Even if it is obvious I do not support Jonathan why do you not argue against relevant points I raise? OGD's plan is fairly obvious to everyone . Who is powerful enought to checkmate him if not Jonathan? Why is Jonathan then ignoring Ogun State , when the citizens need his intervention badly, to focus EFCC attention on States with Governors not backing Mr.President's ambition? Why on Earth is OGD being allowed to get away with this while Ameachi, and others who do not support Jonathan , are now National enemies number 1?

The Yoruba PDP Governors are some of the worst leaders in Nigeria. Jonathan giving them carte blanche to do as they please, just because they support his ambition, is a highly dangerous thing for the inhabitants of the State they govern. Still , that is "par for the course" as far as many Jonathan fans are concerned.  Not so ?  wink
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by seanet03: 6:03pm On Sep 06, 2010
na_so:

My friend always get your facts right. When did 6 members impeach ladoja? must you tell lies to make a point?

if i can not remember the actual number, then is your reply a vindication of the notorious behaviours of OBJ IN REMOVING the fact is the same thing happened in the removal of LADOJA, it is all illegality upon illegality, stop shifting the goal post
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by naso2(m): 6:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
Gbawe:

I am beginning to tire of you . When will you start dealing with th issues raised? Even if it is obvious I do not support Jonathan why do you not argue against relevant points I raise? OGD's plan is fairly obvious . Who is powerful enought to checkmate him if not Jonathan? Why is Jonathan then ignoring Ogn State to focus EFCC attention on States with Governors not backing Mr.President's ambition?

The Yoruba PDPGovernors are some of the worst leaders in Nigeria. Jonathan giving them carte blanche to do as they please, just because they support his ambition, is highly dangerous thing for the inhabitants of the State they govern. Still , that is "par for the course" as far as many Jonathan fans are concerned. Not so ? wink

Na you sabi.

But seriously are'nt you being to quick in linking GEJ to this?

Until this last move of impeachment, everyone felt the lawmakers where doing their jobs as empowered by the constitution. As much as I know you dont like him, OBJ is still the political father of the state, and if it was as serious as requiring GEJ's attention , it would have been done.

OGD is one SW governors being  alleged in some quarters to be sympathetic to IBB'S bid, so had GEj come in too early, you, Gbawe of all people would have been the first to cry do-or-die.  

Ok now tell me with you understanding of the constitution what GEJ should have done before now in Ogun state.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by naso2(m): 6:16pm On Sep 06, 2010
seanet03:

if i can not remember the actual number, then is your reply a vindication of the notorious behaviours of OBJ IN REMOVING the fact is the same thing happened in the removal of LADOJA, it is all illegality upon illegality, stop shifting the goal post

We had 33 lawmakers in all and 18 of them staged an impeachment plot, how does that come close to the 6 you mentioned?

Initially there were arguments that 18 was the appropriate figure since about 5 of the original 33 were on suspension, so the pro Adedibu gang argued that they met the required percentage .

Forget this your goalpost analogy, it doesnt really apply here.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by seanet03: 6:21pm On Sep 06, 2010
SO18 OF 33 IS YOUR TWO THIRD, the fact remains THE SAME ILLEGALITY WAS PERFECTED BY OBJ AGAINST LADOJA AND DARIYE, there is no argument that can MAKE IT LEAGL. PDP IS DEVILISH
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2010
na_so:

Na you sabi.

But seriously are'nt you being to quick in linking GEJ to this?

Until this last move of impeachment, everyone felt the lawmakers where doing their jobs as empowered by the constitution. As much as I know you dont like him, OBJ is still the political father of the state, and if it was as serious as requiring GEJ's attention , it would have been done.

OGD is one SW governors being  alleged in some quarters to be sympathetic to IBB'S bid, so had GEj come in too early, you, Gbawe of all people would have been the first to cry do-or-die.  

Ok now tell me with you understanding of the constitution what GEJ should have done before now in Ogun state.

My friend , are you passing the buck to OBJ when he has no official power ?Or are you saying that OBJ has ever cared that the right thing is done even when that means his own personal interest is affected negatively ? Chronically ill Yar Ada stood up to OBJ so please desist from writing as if the President of Nigeria has to maintain a 'hands off' position because OBJ is "political father" of Ogun State . When did Nigeria become Somalia ? Do "political fathers" now hold sway ahead of the constitutionally recognised President? We all know the buck stops with Jonathan. Insinuating otherwise means that you are telling us that Jonathan is a lightweight not fit to lead Nigeria !!!!

Don't write as if you don't know Nigerian politics because you are now keen to support Jonathan always . Daniels became a "very good boy" the minute he endorsed Jonathan along with the other PDP governors. In Nigerian politics , a "very good boy" to a PDP Presidency, roughly translated , is one who will have all his 'misdemeanours' ignored .

As for this:

I think it does not merit a response . Sorry. Your co-defendants on Nairaland have the effrontery to argue that Jonathan is justified using the EFCC to go after Governors who have not utilised their disbursement judiciously yet you expect me to show you what Jonathan can do in this situation? Sorry mate but you are showing that Jonathan is not fit to lead.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by seanet03: 6:33pm On Sep 06, 2010
Gbawe:

My friend , are you passing the buck to OBJ when he has no official power ? Chronically ill Yar Ada stood up to OBJ so please desist from writing as if the President of Nigerian has to maintain a 'hands off' position because OBJ is "political father" of Ogun State . When did Nigeria become Somalia ? Do "political fathers" now hold sway ahead of the constitutionally recognised President? We all know the buck stops with Jonathan.

Don't write as if you don't know Nigerian politics because you are now keen to support Jonathan always . Daniels became a "very good boy" the minute he endorsed Jonathan along with the other PDP governors. In Nigerian politics , a "very good boy" to a PDP Presidency, roughly translated , is one who will have all his 'misdemeanours' ignored .

As for this:
I think it does not merit a response . Sorry. Your co-defendants on Nairaland have the effrontery to argue that Jonathan is justified using the EFCC to go after Governors who have not utilised their disbursement judiciously yet you expect me to show you what Jonathan can do in this situation? Sorry mate but you are showing that Jonathan is not fit to lead.
here he comes again BOKO HARAM kill people he put the blame on GJ, cholera outbreak he put it on GJ, the fact is the house members who are not satisfied should approach the LAW COURT and not GBAWE court
be fair
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by naso2(m): 6:43pm On Sep 06, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^
I seem to share same viewpoint with some other pro-GEJ supporters here, but i most times dont  find it tidy when you use posts from some other persons as shield when I ask some questions.

Anyway i don hear you. My original position remains as well. peace
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 6:44pm On Sep 06, 2010
seanet03:

here he comes again BOKO HARAM kill people he put the blame on GJ, cholera outbreak he put it on GJ, the fact is the house members who are not satisfied should approach the LAW COURT and not GBAWE court
be fair

My friend give it a rest. Do you at all understand the role and responsibilities of our President? Daniel, Oyinlola, Oni and Alao Akala could get together to hack 2000 folks to death on camera and nothing would happen because they have callously pledged to deliver their respective States to Jonathan come 2011. Most Yoruba folks are not like you. You should know that many are politically sophisticated enough to see the broad picture of what a Jonathan Presidency , and an OBJ third term by proxy , will represent for the region. That is why genuine Yoruba folks , and the real victim of misrule , rejected the PDP vehemently during the last Ekiti guber election. 

Already it is happening with how the PDP SW Governors can do no wrong despite being probably the most corrupt, most hated  and most indolent of all Nigerian Governors. They merit investigation far more than Ameachi because they steal and give the people of their States [b] absolutely nothing [/b]in return . Please remind me the Governors that have topped most Nairaland polls of "worst Governors" ? *hint*hint* Alao Akala* Gbenga Daniel*.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by naso2(m): 6:46pm On Sep 06, 2010
barnabasj:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5615650-146/ogun_state_speaker_impeached__.csp

The Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Tunji Egbetokun, has reportedly been impeached.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that a source in the House said that Mr Egbetokun was removed, and Yemi Coker (Odeda Constituency) was appointed as the new speaker. The impeachment was reportedly carried out by a group of nine members of the House sympathetic to the state government. The lawmakers allegedly arrived at the Assembly Complex as early as 7am, and went into the chambers where they conducted proceedings [size=20pt]with a mace said to have been obtained from the Abeokuta North Local Government Area[/size]. The Ogun State House of Assembly is composed of 26 lawmakers, two of whom are currently on suspension.

According to the source, Mr Coker, in his inaugural speech, said the action had become necessary because of the gross misconduct of the impeached speaker. He said the action was taken to save the government from being crippled by Mr Egbetokun and his team. Musa Daura, the state's Commissioner of Police, who visited the Assembly complex around 9.30am with a team of police officers, declined to comment on the development. Journalists and staff of the Assembly were barred from the complex.

Mr Egbetokun, in a telephone conversation with NAN, described the incident as a joke. "They are just nine, even if they were 11; they could not even have removed the speaker," he said. "They are acting for some people and we are watching and we are also on top of the situation. The regime of President Goodluck Jonathan will not condone such illegality.

We will watch for the next 24 hours and we will fight back." He alleged that the action was taken to scuttle the debate on the controversial N100 billion bond scheduled for Wednesday. Mr Egbetokun became the Speaker in May 2008 following the impeachment of former Speaker, Titi Oseni.

This definitely cannot stand.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by seanet03: 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2010
na_so:

This definitely cannot stand.
look at this one, Illegality have always have it way 70% of the time in Nigeria, there is nothing internet warriors like you can do
PDP IS SATANIC
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by pelinternational: 7:20pm On Sep 06, 2010
Wonders shall never end, this evil Governor will not stop to make people laugh.shame on those hopeless lawmakers that allowed themself to be used by the Evil governor, the C.P should be sack immediately.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by baslone: 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
Man, This 100billion thing is already causing a lot of problems in this state! shocked
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 06, 2010
The remain house of assembly member that is loyal to the speaker should also Impeached Daniel too. let it be 1:1, that is the final solutions then FG will take them serious by declaring state of emergency in Ogun State.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 9:16pm On Sep 06, 2010
Disgusting !!!!! I have not even spoken before it happened . The advent of "operation totality" combined with "do or die" . The open criminality under Jonathan will indeed be "totality" as we have never seen before and perhaps it will be the beginning of the end . Nigerians who don't understand that , as a nation , we are about to implode ,unless we get a 'warrior' ready to confront criminality and corruption,  should continue to back Jonathan, IBB, Atiku and the "usual suspects". Jonathan, IBB, Atiku and co cannot control the gangster "dog eat dog" empire Nigerian politics has become and we should not be toying with any of them if we love Nigeria .

This is a disgusting and outrightly lawless daylight heist against Ogun State with the Presidency totally turning a blind eye when it had many chances to intervene and ensure that this blatant and brazen theft does not happen. OBJ is just foisting a 'gangster' legacy everywhere and many political leaders are now behaving with shameless criminality. We now have many "do or die" leaders everywhere. I laugh when some Jonathan fans try to convince us that IBB is the worst demon that must be stopped . I make bold to say that the present crop of PDP Governors in the SW region are 100 times worse than IBB !!!!

My people , wetin remain? Look at this shameful nonsense yet they are going after Ameachi !!! I weep for Nigeria . The SW PDP Governors are inhumanly wicked . Jonathan must be too if he will unleash these destroyers of souls on Nigerians just to be President in 2011.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5615753-146/ogun_approves_issuance_of_n100b_bond.csp

Ogun approves issuance of N100b bond

September 6, 2010 08:34PM

Following the sack of speaker, the Ogun State House of Assembly passed a resolution that the state government should proceed to the bond market immediately to source for N100 billion in tranches of N26 billion, N34 billion, and N40 billion for various outstanding and developmental projects, evenly spread across the three senatorial districts of the state.

The house stated that it arrived at the decision after "due consultations with various constituents, traditional rulers and chiefs, labour unions, clubs, and associations, prominent Ogun stakeholders and stake owners."
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by MetalGong4: 9:23pm On Sep 06, 2010
^^^^^^
hahahahahaha . . . . . . This one is Ogun State House of Comedy!!!
So immediately they impeached the speaker, the same nine members of the House approved the government's request to source 100 billion naira . . .   sad sad
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 9:34pm On Sep 06, 2010
MetalGong4:

^^^^^^
hahahahahaha . . . . . . This one is Ogun State House of Comedy!!!
So immediately they impeached the speaker, the same nine members of the House approveed the government's request to source 100 billion naira . . . sad sad

This is the open and brazen criminality ensuing under the Government of the day . Reason ? No one respects or fear Jonathan !!! Furthermore corrupt Politicians recognise that , due to Jonathan's desperation to actualise a very unpopular ambition, "endorsing" him means that they can openly and insensitively behave as heinous as they want without fear of sanction or prosecution. I predicted this would happen under Jonathan but I did not expect it to be this soon and This brazen. 2011 is a keg of gunpowder for Nigeria.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 06, 2010
Demo-crazy. . . .democazy

crazy-demo. . . .democrazy

demonstration of craze. . .democrazy

crazy demonstration. . . .democrazy

if e no be craze.,why for Nigeria. .democrazy

As time dey go,things just dey bad. .democrazy

e bad more and more. . .democrazy

poor man dey cry. . .democrazy

Rich man dey messs. . .democrazy

democrazy. . .democrazy

crazydemo. . .demonstration of craze
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by revomind(m): 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2010
From a very objective point of view, it seems to me that a Jonathan presidency from 2011 means the continued mis-governance in the southwest. Frankly, I do not understand Jonathan's desperation at all. If the PDP wants to have it easy in that region, they must dispense with the current set of governors they have. It pains to admit, as a southerner , I'm beginning to see that Jonathan's emergence in next year's poll would spell doom not only for the west but for the nation in general. I don't intend to endorse some candidates that are of shady reputations already but it sure looks as if next year's polls would be the most controversial and crucial elections in our history. It beats me to see just how few people are honest enough to see the resemblance between a Jonathan presidency and the OBJ era.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by 1759(m): 10:29pm On Sep 06, 2010
These are indeed interesting times in Ogun State

Ogun State Speaker dismisses suspension, says it is futile plot

The embattled Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Honorable Tunji Egbetokun has said the purported suspension of the G15 members is an act of illegality.

The embattled speaker at the press briefing in Lagos dismissed the suspension with a wave of hand while describing the development as an exercise in futility that is bound to fail.

According to him, the eight members who presided over the alleged suspension lacked the quorum to carry out such an exercise. All fifteen members of his camp were present at the press briefing in Lagos.

Honourable Egbetokun, his deputy and all the principal officers of the house were suspended indefinitely with Honourable Yemi Coker, representing Odeba constituency replacing him as the new speaker of the house.

The suspended speaker and 14 other principle members were suspended on allegations of cross misconduct, and misleading the people of Ogun state.
Honorable Egbetokun, who became the Speaker in May 2008 following the impeachment of former Speaker, Titi Oseni linked the purported suspension to alleged move by the Ogun state governor, Otumba Gbenga Daniel to surreptiously scuttle Wednesday's bond debate. He insists that "he still remains in power", adding that the "governor is fearful to attend the debate."

The state lawmakers had challenged the state governor, Gbenga Daniel, to a public debate, after they declined to back the N100 billion bonds, claiming there were loopholes in the documents backing the bid.

Honorable Egbetokun, who also noted that the house was on recess, maintained that such action by other rivalry camp of eleven members is tantamount to illegality, adding there was no basis for proceeding with the unconstitutionality of the acclaimed suspension.

He however said when they return from recess, he will reconvene the house and preside over the sitting since he still has the mace which is the symbol of authority.
Crisis has continually rocked the Ogun state polity in recent times over contentious issue of raising a N100 billion bond by the state government.

The current house crisis has come to a head over the weekend, leading to the sealing off of the House of Assembly premises by officials of the Nigerian police.
Prior to the disturbing development, the embattled former speaker had written a letter to President Goodluck Jonathan sometime last month to intervene in the crisis. In the letter, the lawmakers called on the President to urgently intervene in the crisis.

The Speaker, in the letter addressed to Jonathan, dated August 24, 2010, painted a grim picture of the absence of the rule of law, peace and tranquility in the state.

The House leadership had urged President Jonathan to act with dispatch to ensure restoration of normalcy in the state in the interest of the people.

The state executive and legislative arms have been engaged in bitter battles over the last two years.

Source: http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=22322&cat=Politics
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 10:43pm On Sep 06, 2010
revomind:

From a very objective point of view, it seems to me that a Jonathan presidency from 2011 means the continued mis-governance in the southwest. Frankly, I do not understand Jonathan's desperation at all. If the PDP wants to have it easy in that region, they must dispense with the current set of governors they have. It pains to admit, as a southerner , I'm beginning to see that Jonathan's emergence in next year's poll would spell doom not only for the west but for the nation in general. I don't intend to endorse some candidates that are of shady reputations already but it sure looks as if next year's polls would be the most controversial and crucial elections in our history. It beats me to see just how few people are honest enough to see the resemblance between a Jonathan presidency and the OBJ era.

You have identified what I have been saying for a while now . We have to look , beyond the fairytale and "divine emergence" , at what Jonathan's ambition means for Nigeria in reality and for every region pragmatically and without emotion.  Must the SW region , or any region of Nigeria for that matter, be a den for criminals because of the selfish ambition of one man and his evil godfathers? Some of Jonathan's fans should google "pyrrhic victory".
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Sammy107d(m): 1:15am On Sep 07, 2010
The stupid media is the institution lending the comedic act legality with headlines like "Speaker Impeached". If the journalists are a little more sensible than the lawmakers, headlines would read "speaker supposedly/controversially/questionably impeached"
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Sammy107d(m): 1:19am On Sep 07, 2010
Ogun Speaker impeached, bond approved
By Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

The political crisis in Ogun State c,imaxed yesterday, as nine of the 26-member House of Assembly said it has removed the Speaker, Tunji Egbetokun. He was immediately replaced with Soyemi Coker.

We reliably gathered that the nine lawmakers, who are said to be loyalists of the governor, Gbenga Daniel, slept within the Assembly complex on Sunday night, to enable them carry out the impeachment, which they did as early as 7am.

They were alleged to have made use of the mace belonging to the Abeokuta South Local Government legislative arm, to carry out the operation, having burgled the Assembly’s chambers.

It can’t be

But Mr Egbetokun, in a swift response, described the purported impeachment as illegal and part of a plot to scuttle the proposed debate of the N100 billion controversial bond slated for Wednesday. He reaffirmed his leadership in the House of Assembly.

However, Mr Coker later told journalists that the reign of his predecessor was over and that the House under his leadership has approved the bond requested by the governor.

“After due consultation with our various constituents, traditional rulers and chiefs, labour unions, clubs and associations, prominent Ogun stakeholders, we hereby, approve the House resolution that the state government should proceed to the bond market immediately to source for N100 billion in tranches of N26 billion, N34 billion and N40 billion for various outstanding and developmental projects evenly spread across the three senatorial districts of the state,” he said.

To create a conducive atmosphere for the lawmakers to carry out their plot, a private security official attached to the complex, identified as Nureni, was said to have been held hostage and his mobile phone seized by the lawmakers while the operations lasted.
[b]
At 8.30am when we visited the Assembly complex, the lawmakers who claimed to have impeached Mr Egbetokun, were sighted. Also on the premises were Titi Oseni (former Speaker) and Omosanya Solaja who are known supporters of the governor and who had been suspended by the House. Staff of the Assembly were not allowed in by policemen guarding the premises.

The commissioner of police in the state was said not to be aware of the deployment of a new set of police officers to complement efforts of those already assigned to the Assembly before yesterday’s incident.

A Divisional Police Officer (DPO) was sighted at the Assembly questioning the presence of a large number of police officers there. In response, one of them told him that they were deployed there on alert, that there was a plot by some people to bomb the Assembly.

Lingering crisis

The nine lawmakers, in a statement, said their action was necessitated “by the cry of our various constituents to bail out Ogun State from the lingering crisis that has beset us for the past two to three years.”

He equally read out a riot act that all the other factions of the Assembly, known as G-15, have been suspended “for gross misconduct against the institution of the Ogun State Legislature, the government and people of Ogun State”. Mr Soyemi, in addition, said he had reviewed the suspension of Titi Oseni and Omosanya Solaja and found it wholly unnecessary, unjust and overdue, and lifted the suspension with all legislative privileges restored and all losses to be paid in full.

Other resolutions reached by them ,according to him, include: approval of the 2010 supplementary budget of N26 billion, appointment of Yemi Akinwonmi as the new Commissioner of Education, confirmed the nominee of the governor into Ogun State Independent Electoral Commission and dissolution of all existing committees.
[/b]
He said the principal officers for the House include: Ayo-Odugbesan (Deputy Speaker), Bankole Durotolu Oyebode (majority leader), Musa Maruf (Chief Whip), Abiodun Oluseyi Moses (Deputy Majority Leader) and Adeleke Salmon (Deputy Chief Whip).

Mr Egebtokun, in his reaction said, “They know the debate will open everything. The governor did not know we will go for the debate. Four days ago, he called the clerk of the House to know whether we are serious about the debate, and when the clerk told him that we are going ahead and even armed with documents, he became more apprehensive.”

“The commissioner of finance is on the run, the accountant-general is nowhere to be found. They cannot impeach me. They are just nine and two of them are still under suspension. They are wasting their time. I don’t want to join issues with them. They are acting under some spell. We are on top of the situation.” Meanwhile, there were reports last night that Mr Egbetokun’s house in Akute, Ogun State, was invaded by armed bandits yesterday. He was not at home when they came. The former Speaker said his landlord called him to confirm the incident.
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by OAM4J: 1:22am On Sep 07, 2010
Wonders shall never end. Illegality of the highest oder!

OGD needs the 100B desperately as his take home pay.

Lord have mercy!!!
Re: Ogun State Speaker Impeached by Gbawe: 10:10am On Sep 07, 2010
OAM4J:

Wonders shall never end. Illegality of the highest oder!

OGD needs the 100B desperately as his take home pay.

Lord have mercy!!!

Indeed. His plan has been obvious to even unborn children for a while. We should ask why EFCC has not seen it fit to descend on Ogun State over its grotesque orgy of financial impropriety under Daniel yet they are 'coincidentally' harrassing all the Governors who have refused to back Jonathan . Jonathan want's us to believe there will be free elections next year yet he cannot graciously accept the democratic rights of some to refuse him as their candidate. Project Jonathan has to be achieved by hook or by crook . It is "do or die" and "operation totality" .

If the South West region inherit criminals who will do heinous damage over 4 more years , so be it. As long as they help Jonathan win in 2011 , PDP SW Governors remain "untouchable". Same old routine .

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Northern Elite Control Nigeria’s Oil Wealth / They Hypocrisy Of Muslims / Breaking News: Radio Biafra Fm Station To Start In Lagos Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.