Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,883 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

The Atheist's Prayer - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Atheist's Prayer (11802 Views)

How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY / To the atheist, what do you think? / Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by TheArranger(m): 7:59pm On Apr 07, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Continued response

10. It's hard to take arguments like this seriously. I have a policy to engage with seriousness on this platform, that is, with decorum, because my responses are actually written for fellow believers primarily. If I didn't have this policy, I'd be LOL'ing and doing all sorts in mockery at arguments like this one. What makes you think that an assumption cannot be fact? The famous laws of thermodynamics are assumptions because they are observed but unproveable facts of life. Would you think of them as figments of the imagination too? An assumption is merely something we are granting to be true either because it makes no sense that it isn't or in order to pursue a hypothesis and see how it proves out.
I stand corrected on the meaning of "assumption" with regards to science

In a philosophical (not scientific, mind you) context however, if you assume God exists, you are committing the logical fallacy of presupposition/assumptive thinking/presumption

You're using language that presupposes conclusions into the statements without first showing those statements to be true. Presupposition is a sneaky assumption. It is an unstated assumption.

You can't just assume God exists and call it a day. You have to show it

This just shows you are being irrational and probably not realizing the reason you don't want to talk about your assumptions. No one likes to expose his or her inner thoughts when they are not rational.

Ihedinobi3:

Another thing to note is how you can admit that this assumption is universal while appearing to forget that that was exactly what you were claiming to be untrue just a post ago. Obviously, God is a universal phenomenon in human consciousness, and obviously you know that too. This sort of behavior when carried on with no appearance of a willingness to change is what I call dishonesty. It may start out as a mistake, but in time it appears to me to become a point of duty to make obviously false claims without thought, only to add wild bluff to wild bluff trying to cover up an obviously false argument.
Can you please point out where i implied that "the assumption that God is universal is untrue"?. That'd be very helpful.

Its also very funny, though not surprising, how you're drawing all these conclusions out of a "supposed" contradiction. You've already conditioned your mind to believe that i'm going to lie and be dishonest even when we haven't started. I'm just shaking my head painfully at this point. You're putting the dead, beaten horse before the cart ... but what do i know, right?

Ihedinobi3:

Even further, your argument contradicts reality. If humans really want to feel important, why would they invent a God (an incredible thing to consider, given how much divisiveness is natural to human beings) that basically demands that they either be His lackeys or suffer painfully forever? It's a very weird thing for human beings to do in the face of this ego you speak of. It would make more sense if human beings invented a situation where they themselves are the Gods, and they impose their will on everything around them. That is far more consistent with human nature.
@red, humans will want to invent a god because deep down, they want to feel special. They want recognition. They want to be acknowledged. They want to feel like their actions count. Dying patients, bereaved people.... they want to believe that their problems always have an answer.

In turn they create this deity who can answer EVERY single one of their prayers. Because they may have problems & they seek justice, they create a deity that watches over them and rewards them for good and punishes them for evil. They project their ego and persona unto this god. That is why this god has emotions like jealousy, anger, joy, remorse etc. Somehow, we know he will be angry with us if we sin and he will rejoice if we repent. Isn't that a god of people who want to be monitored? These are emotions felt by humans and they project these emotions unto said god. I don't see how this strays too much from reality.

As for your comment @italics, don't you think religion serves this purpose? Aren't their political philosophies in parts of the world that have a basis in religion? Aren't there laws in certain parts of the world that are guided by religious beliefs? Isn't Theocracy a form of government?

Aren't these "imposing their will" on everything around them?
By creating this god, they themselves are BECOMING said god by extending their ego to him. Then they use this god to fulfil their selfish intents & desires through laws & commandments and what have you.

I don't see how this strays too much from reality.

Ihedinobi3:

11. Regarding your questions, when you ask someone what they would prefer to believe, how are you not suggesting that we have the ability to create objective truths? We decide whether we want to believe what is or we want to create fictions. As it is, my interest since childhood has been to learn what is true and believe it, so my preference will always be to believe what is true.
How about intersubjective truths @italics?

Also, what is the human ego? It is an insatiable desire for pleasures, rewards, profit for ourselves. Majority would rather live a comfortable life than an uncomfortable life. Majority would rather be praised and complimented than shunned and disgraced. Hopefully this makes sense.
Besides this, i'll agree that you may be correct at this point in the majority.

Ihedinobi3:

As it is, your questions are very telling. You ask them on the assumption that everyone is essentially making up what they believe. That is precisely what atheism is: a fiction that people make up to believe.
Lol. SMH.

Ihedinobi3:

12. Your enjoyment of your attacks on Christianity is only proof of my arguments. I'm glad that you are honest enough to agree that there is absolutely no comparison between atheism and Christianity on that count. As a matter of fact, if there were no Christianity at all, atheism would likely be exceptionally boring. Christianity, on the other hand, is actually incredibly exciting by itself, so much so that, for those who actually believe and understand the Bible, atheism and other philosophies and their adherents are actually distractions. So, it is a flat-out lie that atheists are persecuted more than Christians, or that it is nothing special or specific to atheism to attack Christianity.

What you add to this acquiescence here is a red herring, but I'll indulge it. I called atheism a dishonest philosophy and concluded that anyone who held such a philosophy (that is, atheists) is necessarily a dishonest person. Do you remember your complaint that I was being salty? If you really believe that your attacks on Christianity are not personal, then you could not have proceeded to say that I am intolerant of and prejudiced toward atheists. You clearly considered my attitude toward atheism as a personal attack on atheists. Why does the rule change when it is you and other atheists attacking Christianity?
This should also be a rebuttal to your number 13. I still don't understand how atheism is dishonest. Especially weak atheism, which is my, and most people's, kind of atheism.

It's not reasonable for a person to claim that no deities exist (strong atheism, which isn't the discussion here), as that person then bears the burden to prove their claim, which isn't possible. The same burden of proof weighs on the person who says that one or more deities do exist; it, too, is an impossible task. If it was intellectually dishonest to be a weak atheist, then it's also intellectually dishonest to be a weak theist. But since proof that deities do or don't exist is unavailable, how can a person assert one or the other without delving into irrational territory, or at least untenable territory? Would we not identify such assertions as intellectually dishonest since they aren't justified by the available evidence?

There's nothing wrong with saying "I believe (or not), but I don't know." Indeed, it seems to me to be the best position, as it avoids the untenable position of having to prove a claim to be true or false when such a demonstration is impossible.

@bold Your main issue is you attack the atheists first. Then proceed to use the information you get from the atheists as the problem with atheism. For me, i have issues with both Christianity & christians. And i've given reasons for my dislike of both. You've given reasons for your dislike for atheists but you are yet to explain the dishonesty of atheism, and the only way to do this is to provide evidence of your god.

As for atheists attacking christians, it isn’t safe to be an atheist. Some Christians like you tell us that we should be tortured in hell forever because we don’t believe what they do. Lots of love, there! I remember watching a certain american politician on television blaming natural disasters on gays, atheists, and liberals and begging the judgement of God to fall on us. Go to forums like Reddit & 4chan and people ask questions on whether atheists should have freedom of speech or be imprisoned, or even be put to death. Schools try to make children participate in public prayer. Churches try to undermine how parents raise their children by instilling the fear of hell into them. The death penalty for atheism exists in 13 countries. Some preachers in fundamentalism AND evangelicalism have actually called for atheists and gays and others to face the death penalty in the US. Go into any Christian book store. There are lots of titles attacking atheists and atheism. Preachers call us fools, saying we are the enemies and in league with the Devil. And all we want is the freedom of our own conscience and the civil and political rights of a free people.

And you think we attack Christians? All we are doing is trying to defend ourselves and our freedoms!!!

You want atheists to think Christians are good and kind? Then have them stop attacking everyone who doesn’t believe as they do. How about that?

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
- Thomas Jefferson

Ihedinobi3:

14. I'm the Lord Jesus's sheep, TheArranger, but I'm an old sheep. I have had my run-in's with wolves of different kinds. So, I'm not at all even impressed, much less convinced, by your claim that you are ready to abandon anything. I have no doubt that you will believe anything at all, only it can't come from the Bible. If the emptiness of atheism bothers you that much, Oriental religions might give you the excitement that other Western atheists have sought in them. Whether you believe it or not, I truly don't care what you want to believe. I was not charged to win anybody's soul, only to proclaim the Gospel to anyone who is willing to hear it. Clearly, you are not. So, why don't you do what others atheists do? Go East.
Let me rephrase it then:

If you provide me with evidence that Jehovah exists, i will believe he exists. That's it. I will be like "Oh, you were right all along". I would love to be a christian but I'm not desperate to worship your god. He's really not that important to me. If you christians weren't infringing on our basic human rights, we couldn't care less about your god to be wasting our time debating with you folks. Atheism has been much more fulfilling to me than Christianity. I don't have to follow restrictive rules based on unproven rumors, i have no fear of hell, i'm not bigoted (wish you could say the same), and i solve problems with reason, not dogma & invisible magicians....

Lol @ the emptiness of atheism when the happiest and richest countries in the world are atheist countries
https://www.axios.com/the-worlds-unhappiest-countries-1513301073-e24ee650-db2b-46b2-a548-e5caeb02b43f.html
https://news.gallup.com/poll/142727/religiosity-highest-world-poorest-nations.aspx

2 Likes

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by TheArranger(m): 8:01pm On Apr 07, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

15. You should notice that I have not accused you of lying in this post. I don't do that until I find that the atheist I am talking to does not care what they say in order to achieve their aim. I am getting the vibe from you that you also don't care what you have to say to get your way here, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

I am referring to your claim that you are not trying to sway me. Perhaps you really aren't, but you are the one that wanted a debate. You are also the one putting up all the typical atheistic moves for evangelism here. Maybe you're doing it for the benefit of readers rather than for me, so I will not make any conclusions here.

You are not here, however, because you want to reexamine what you believe, my friend. You are here for attention. That is why atheists do what you do. Atheism is too empty for you people to mind your own business. You have no business to mind. I am here because my business seemed to slow down a bit, and I wondered what I might do with you people. In fact, it has begun to pick up again very fast, so I might soon be unable to break routine and come joust with you lot just for the sake of it.

You have all the evidence anyone needs, and before you ask me again for it, it is the universe itself, including your own conscience, and the unavoidable reality of Death. If they are not convincing enough for you, really just go East if you feel that you must have something instead of the nothing of atheism.
SMDH. This arguments aren't new @green. Same old, same old.
The Universe: the existence of the universe does NOT confirm that magic is real. Jehovah, Angels, Demon, Lucifer, Behemoth; they're magical beings. Another thing missing is the demonstration that Jehovah created the universe as a true statement. It’s nothing but a rumor. An unproven assumption if you may. 4 thousand years without being substantiated - that’s a failure rate of 100%.

The Conscience: Depends on what you call "god". Some people have this image of what they would like God to be. These people somehow naturally assume everyone on earth knows exactly what they mean when they use this three lettered word called God. There are 4 Abrahamic religions which actually supposed to believe in the same sole Abrahamic deity or God. None of these 4 Abrahamic religions believe in the same sole Abrahamic deity or God. Yet none of these 4 Abrahamic religious followers want to acknowledge that all of their religions were made by humans who simply made up a deity for themselves to worship. If you give power to your beliefs admit it. Such power only came from ones own imagination. The imagination is the conscience.

Death: How does your dying show me that God is not a fantasy of yours? The universal fact of death, is hardly “proof” of anything other than the universal fact of death. We've never seen dead people come back and tell us about the afterlife. I'm talking of "thoroughly cold, laying in the ground or mausoleum" dead.

I put it to you, sir, that it is the very fact that you have NO EVIDENCE to support your theological opinions, either way, that fosters your characteristic draconian hostility towards those of slightly different opinion. Perhaps i overrated your person and your intelligence before engaging you in discourse but you've proven to me now that i've done nothing but shoot myself in the foot. So thanks for me helping me see that.

I also think its quite obvious that you're gradually trying to label me a villain at this point. When i read your statement @red, i couldn't help but burst into uncontrollable laughter grin. Since you take pleasure in doing this to people, sir, let me now return you the favor. Take offence or not, i really don't care. Say i'm wrong or not, i don't care either because 1. You are a constant strawman when you're talking with people & 2. I'm simply stating what I & everyone who's seen your posts & engaged you has noticed.

I think you're very smart. One of the smartest apologists on this website. However, i think you're also a cynical, closeminded fraud who makes up stories and uses special pleading & false equivalences to cover up the gaps in your knowlegde. You conjure up long posts rife with fallacies & word salads to obfuscate atheists and discourage them from responding (this could be intentional or unintentional, but i finally decided to take up this specific challenge you present, hence my response to you here). I think your childhood indoctrination was very insidious hence your overwhelming dogmatism. You call people out when they commit errors but then you go ahead to commit tons of strawmen among other fallacies. You make up lies about people and polish them to make it seem true. You pride in being close-minded and assume everyone else is as stubborn, which is a huge fallacy for even someone of your calibre. You also commit intellectual bullyism. Not that you're the only one who does this, but yours is the most obvious and most frequent.

If you're concerned that i'm typing all this to look good on Nairaland, i'll be more than happy to give you my social media contacts so that we can interact properly. Far away from the eyes of the lurkers and members of Nairaland. I'm not interested in looking good. I've repeated over and over that i'm relatively a novice on these matters and i'm a genuine skeptic, but oh well, you just feel like you know everyone more than they know themselves. You just love to beat people to their conclusions and make up lies about them. I wonder how far your dishonest tactics, dogma and baseless intolerance can carry you. Give me the word and i'll mail my contacts to you. Then we'll talk. Till then, this is my final response to you.

Oh, and if you're just going to judge me and make assumptions about my motives again, i'd really appreciate if you don't mention me on this website henceforth.

IAmSabrina

Martinez39

LordReed

CAPSLOCKED

Johnydon22

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 8:26pm On Apr 07, 2019
Martinez39:
What?! Your parents don't know that you are an atheist?
Your folks do?

My folks would ostracize me faster than i can pronounce "Atheism"!
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Martinez39(m): 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Your folks do?

My mum knows. Because of me, my sister is now an atheist cheesy grin. My brother is too stubborn and a bit illogical. He is still a christian, although in name only ---- the bloody hypocrite grin. Thankfully, we've all stopped going to church. cheesy

My mum keeps telling me "whether you like it or not there is god, I am sure god exists blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah." She is the only one that goes to church. grin

1 Like

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 07, 2019
Martinez39:
My mum knows. Because of me, my sister is now an atheist cheesy grin. My brother is too stubborn and a bit illogical. He is still a christian, although in name only ---- the bloody hypocrite grin. Thankfully, we've all stopped going to church. cheesy

My mum keeps telling me "whether you like it or not there is god, I am sure god exists blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah." She is the only one that goes to church. grin
LOL grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by budaatum: 8:39pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Your folks do?

Weakling! My entire family knew I was an atheist. They'd be like "let us pray" and buda will leave the room. It was just ridiculous joining them in prayer to a God I knew was a figment of their imagination, and I was not prepared to stand there as if their imaginary emperor wore clothes. Then I went and got my own emperor and clothed it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 07, 2019
budaatum:

Weakling! My entire family new I was an atheist. They'd be like "let us pray" and buda will leave the room. It was just ridiculous joining them in prayer to a God I knew was a figment of their imagination, and I was not prepared to stand there as if their imaginary emperor wore clothes. Then I went and got my own emperor and clothed it.
Lol.

Wish i had the courage though. A few of my friends know....

But daddy, mummy & all my bros,.... Hell. No.

Telling them i'm a cultist would be better

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Bojack(m): 9:01pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol.

lol, most of friends already know but when my folks found out that I was an atheist they they were thinking of disowning me.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Martinez39(m): 9:09pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol.

If you are not 100% sure that they will take it nicely, don't tell them. My sympathy, church services and programmes might be boring and be a serious pain in the ass. However, there is a way to kill this boredom and make the experience worthwhile as much as possible. If you attend a pentecostal church or a new generation, observe those that speak in tongues and roll on the floor. Observe them closely and do what I always do -------------- laugh grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by LordReed(m): 9:14pm On Apr 07, 2019
TheArranger:

SMDH. This arguments aren't new @green. Same old, same old.
The Universe: the existence of the universe does NOT confirm that magic is real. Jehovah, Angels, Demon, Lucifer, Behemoth; they're magical beings. Another thing missing is the demonstration that Jehovah created the universe as a true statement. It’s nothing but a rumor. An unproven assumption if you may. 4 thousand years without being substantiated - that’s a failure rate of 100%.

The Conscience: Depends on what you call "god". Some people have this image of what they would like God to be. These people somehow naturally assume everyone on earth knows exactly what they mean when they use this three lettered word called God. There are 4 Abrahamic religions which actually supposed to believe in the same sole Abrahamic deity or God. None of these 4 Abrahamic religions believe in the same sole Abrahamic deity or God. Yet none of these 4 Abrahamic religious followers want to acknowledge that all of their religions were made by humans who simply made up a deity for themselves to worship. If you give power to your beliefs admit it. Such power only came from ones own imagination. The imagination is the conscience.

Death: How does your dying show me that God is not a fantasy of yours? The universal fact of death, is hardly “proof” of anything other than the universal fact of death. We've never seen dead people come back and tell us about the afterlife. I'm talking of "thoroughly cold, laying in the ground or mausoleum" dead.

I put it to you, sir, that it is the very fact that you have NO EVIDENCE to support your theological opinions, either way, that fosters your characteristic draconian hostility towards those of slightly different opinion. Perhaps i overrated your person and your intelligence before engaging you in discourse but you've proven to me now that i've done nothing but shoot myself in the foot. So thanks for me helping me see that.

I also think its quite obvious that you're gradually trying to label me a villain at this point. When i read your statement @red, i couldn't help but burst into uncontrollable laughter grin. Since you take pleasure in doing this to people, sir, let me now return you the favor. Take offence or not, i really don't care. Say i'm wrong or not, i don't care either because 1. You are a constant strawman when you're talking with people & 2. I'm simply stating what I & everyone who's seen your posts & engaged you has noticed.

I think you're very smart. One of the smartest apologists on this website. However, i think you're also a cynical, closeminded fraud who makes up stories and uses special pleading & false equivalences to cover up the gaps in your knowlegde. You conjure up long posts rife with fallacies & word salads to obfuscate atheists and discourage them from responding (this could be intentional or unintentional, but i finally decided to take up this specific challenge you present, hence my response to you here). I think your childhood indoctrination was very insidious hence your overwhelming dogmatism. You call people out when they commit errors but then you go ahead to commit tons of strawmen among other fallacies. You make up lies about people and polish them to make it seem true. You pride in being close-minded and assume everyone else is as stubborn, which is a huge fallacy for even someone of your calibre. You also commit intellectual bullyism. Not that you're the only one who does this, but yours is the most obvious and most frequent.

If you're concerned that i'm typing all this to look good on Nairaland, i'll be more than happy to give you my social media contacts so that we can interact properly. Far away from the eyes of the lurkers and members of Nairaland. I'm not interested in looking good. I've repeated over and over that i'm relatively a novice on these matters and i'm a genuine skeptic, but oh well, you just feel like you know everyone more than they know themselves. You just love to beat people to their conclusions and make up lies about them. I wonder how far your dishonest tactics, dogma and baseless intolerance can carry you. Give me the word and i'll mail my contacts to you. Then we'll talk. Till then, this is my final response to you.

Oh, and if you're just going to judge me and make assumptions about my motives again, i'd really appreciate if you don't mention me on this website henceforth.

IAmSabrina

Martinez39

LordReed

CAPSLOCKED

Johnydon22

LoL!
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 07, 2019
Martinez39:
If you are not 100% sure that they will take it nicely, don't tell them. My sympathy, church services and programmes might be boring and be a serious pain in the ass. However, there is a way to kill this boredom and make the experience worthwhile as much as possible. If you attend a pentecostal church or a new generation, observe those that speak in tongues and roll on the floor. Observe them closely and do what I always do with --------------- laugh grin
LOL grin. Don't worry bout me, Martinez. I don't stay with my old man. I stay with my immediate elder bro and he's just like yours: a "christian" grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Martinez39(m): 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

LOL grin. Don't worry bout me, Martinez. I don't stay with my old man. I stay with my immediate elder bro and he's just like yours: a "christian" grin
Great. grin

1 Like

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by LordReed(m): 9:37pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol.

My family except my mum knows. She's not fit medically so I was advised not to tell her yet. Its not imperative that they know, judge for yourself when the time is right.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by TheArranger(m): 9:43pm On Apr 07, 2019
LordReed:

LoL!
I don't always go into long rants like this. But people who admit they are being intentionally dogmatic & bigoted can really get on my nerves
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 07, 2019
LordReed:

My family except my mum knows. She's not fit medically so I was advised not to tell her yet. Its not imperative that they know, judge for yourself when the time is right.
Exactly. Matters like this are very delicate.

Ihedinobi3:

Oh, is that the problem? Can you imagine how easy it is to have family that thinks that you may be losing it or something because you decided that you wouldn't go to church anymore since nobody there seems to care about what the Bible says? When I was younger and weird, the house was not pleasant to live in, and family was not nice to have. I'm a bit older and even weirder, and having family is still not easy.

Look, everyone has a problem. People generally try to blend in to avoid too much trouble. It doesn't mean that your kind is worse off than others. You'll probably marry a fellow atheist (assuming you decide to bother with that). I doubt very much indeed that any child you have who takes the Bible seriously will find growing up under you pleasant.
My parents are staunch christians. They're not gonna hear anything other than Jesus. That said, i'm not them.

If i have a child and he/she happens to fall in love with your lord, i wouldn't restrict him/her. Obviously i will keep questioning them and not hide my perplexities about what they learn or believe, but i won't censor them in anyway. Its their choice and i'll still love them. I respect other's opinions a lot more than you think.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by budaatum: 10:03pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol.

Courage! I went to Church for 12 or so years, Bible Study too and everyone knew as i never hid the fact I was an atheist from anyone.

What amused me most about them was their misunderstanding of Scripture. Then one of my siblings who's a pastor and is married to a pastor said she'd never read it from beginning to end and that was the instant I became a theistically minded individual and began my God is God on here. I always had courage I guess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by CAPSLOCKED: 10:08pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol.

HAHA..
PEOPLE HAVE REAL PROBLEMS. A PARENT WILL LOVE AND HARBOUR A THIEF AND A MURDERER, AND EVEN PROTECT HIM FROM THE LAW.
BUT IF HE'S GAY OR IRRELIGIOUS, OR BELONGS WITH A DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS SECT THAN IT BECOMES A REAL ISSUE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 07, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

HAHA..
PEOPLE HAVE REAL PROBLEMS. A PARENT WILL LOVE AND HARBOUR A THIEF AND A MURDER, AND EVEN PROTECT HIM FROM THE LAW.
BUT IF HE'S GAY OR IRRELIGIOUS, OR BELONGS WITH A DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS SECT THAN IT BECOMES A REAL ISSUE.
So Damn True grin grin grin
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by LordReed(m): 10:12pm On Apr 07, 2019
TheArranger:

I don't always go into long rants like this. But people who admit they are being intentionally dogmatic & bigoted can really get on my nerves

Don't worry Ihedinobi3's characteristics are unmistakable.
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by CAPSLOCKED: 10:44pm On Apr 07, 2019
IAmSabrina:

So Damn True grin grin grin

WHEN YOU LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT YOU'VE BECOME,
THEY BECOME WORRIED ABOUT YOU, AND SCARED OF YOU.
THEY THINK YOU'RE SICK AND GOING MENTAL. THEY SEE YOU AS A DISEASE, AS DIRT.
THEY BEGIN TO BELIEVE YOU'RE POSSESSED BY DEMONS, AND ATTRIBUTE EVERY BAD SITUATION (EVEN COMMON HEADACHE) TO THE DEVIL, WHILE THE GOOD ONES THEY CLAIM IT'S JUST GOD STILL RENDERING YOU MERCY DESPITE YOUR FLAWS.
THEY BECOME WORRIED THAT YAHWEH MIGHT CAUSE VERY BAD THINGS TO HAPPEN TO YOU, AND YOU COULD DIE ANY MOMENT AND SURELY YOUR PORTION IS HELL.

DON'T EVEN TELL THEM YOU'VE LEFT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TO JOIN REDEEM. OR YOU'VE LEFT DEEPER LIFE TO JOIN MFM.
DON'T EVEN LET THEM KNOW YOU'VE LEFT CHRISTIAN MOTHERS (CATHOLIC) TO JOIN CWO (STILL CATHOLIC)... THEY'LL THINK SOMETHING HAS TAKEN OVER YOU IF YOU DO ANYTHING A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENTLY.

IN MY FAMILY IT'LL BE BETTER FOR YOU TO JOIN A KIDNAPPERS GANG THAN FOR YOU TO DO ANY OF THE THINGS ABOVE... WORSE IS IF YOU MIGRATE TO ISLAM FROM CHRISTIANITY. YOU BECOME DEAD IN THEIR EYES WHEN YOU DO THAT.

FOR ALL THEIR WASTED EMOTIONS AND STRESS THEY GO THROUGH KEEPING ALL THESE FEELINGS AND CARRYING THE BURDEN OF BULLSHĮT RELIGIOUS SUPERSTITIOUS BELIEFS, I PITY THEM TOO MUCH TO LET THEM KNOW I THINK DIFFERENTLY. A LOT HAS CHANGED SINCE I STARTED ATTENDING CHURCH ONLY ONCE IN 2 TO 3 YEARS, SO YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GET IN THE NEWS FOR BECOMING IRRELIGIOUS THE ANTICHRIST.

I'VE LOST RELATIONSHIPS, FRIENDSHIPS AND LOVED ONES, AND I'VE HAD ENOUGH. SO I'M LEAVING ALL THESE IN MY POCKET TILL THE TIME I REALLY NEED THEM.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Danhumprey: 4:08pm On Apr 08, 2019
Martinez39:

Mom knows and she's liberal and lenient? No surprises.

Is Dad around too?
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Ihedinobi3: 5:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
Michellekabod1:

Oki messed up,forgive me
It's all right. Thank you for your apology.
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Martinez39(m): 5:38pm On Apr 08, 2019
Danhumprey:
Mom knows and she's liberal and lenient? No surprises.

Is Dad around too?
Dad is late. The iron man would have roasted me alive if he knew I was an atheist. grin
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Ihedinobi3: 5:43pm On Apr 08, 2019
IAmSabrina:
My parents are staunch christians. They're not gonna hear anything other than Jesus. That said, i'm not them.

If i have a child and he/she happens to fall in love with your lord, i wouldn't restrict him/her. Obviously i will keep questioning them and not hide my perplexities about what they learn or believe, but i won't censor them in anyway. Its their choice and i'll still love them. I respect other's opinions a lot more than you think.
My parents are staunch Christians too. But I didn't have an easy time committing to following the Bible with them in the picture.

There are Christian parents who are magnanimous toward incredibly wayward children, even to atheistic children.

It's easy to say what you say. As it is right now, you may be having a hard enough time making your peace with the fact that other people make their choices independent of you. When it is your own child doing that, it is considerably harder to let them. Additionally, nobody particularly likes having someone looking over their shoulder all the time, so your continued questioning might not quite be received in the manner you might expect.

Point is, this is not something atheists suffer specially. Even Christians suffer it.

1 Like

Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Ihedinobi3: 6:02pm On Apr 08, 2019
TheArranger, since that was your last response, and one that is answered in the post you were responding to, I'm not sure it is worth the cost in time and energy to essentially repeat myself.

If you wish to talk to me privately, my email is in my signature and on my profile. It won't be a problem at all.
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Danhumprey: 6:29pm On Apr 08, 2019
Martinez39:
Dad is late. The iron man would have roasted me alive if he knew I was an atheist. grin
thought as much. In my case, both parents are alived and none will hear of my denouncing religions, the religion they have so grown into and embraced.
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 10, 2019
IAmSabrina:

Lol.

Yeah it's understandable considering how most Christians think, inclusive of those here in Nairaland, for as long as you "believe" in Jesus and say that He is Lord with your mouths and lips, even though you are very wicked, an arm robber, ritualist, cultist, rapist, fraudster, adulterer etc., it is better than being an atheist even though you are righteous and not wicked for to them there can never be a righteous atheist.

In my own case though, I think that my christian parents may have preffered an atheist who's loyal to them than a Jesus' disciple as myself who obviously wouldn't be because I hence cannot be loyal to two masters at the same time.

So if you think being an atheist is hard, try being a disciple of Jesus and you'd perhaps see that the cross of atheism may even be an easier one to carry than that of a being a Jesus disciple.

So sis you don't have to tell me what it feels like to be different from the norm, for as you already acknowledged here it's quite a lonely place.

But perhaps your belief that atheism is worth the trouble, or the company of fellow atheists etc. is what keeps you going in that respect.

Mine is God presence and acknowledgment, for that means everything to me, because that's what my satisfaction and sense of fulfillment is hinged on.

So just to keep that constant is enough inspiration for me to keep being the disciple of Jesus that I am, and to keep doing and being what it implies to be a disciple of Jesus in spite of all the opposition, persecution, mockery, humiliation, suffering, etc., that it brings my way, for just maintaining the statusquo is worth it all.

For that is what has kept me going in Nairaland in spite of the extent of opposition and dissaproval I face here especially from the Nairaland Christians, for since I began operating the jesusjnr moniker in Nairaland alone, if you know how many times that God has shown me Himself that what I do here is very personal and important to Him, you would understand sis why I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world, not even just what Nairaland has to offer.

So as I said to someone, I know it's not really easy a times to stand for what you believe in, but if you really think it's worth it, you should give it your everything, for the extent to which you commit to something, is a proof of the value you have placed on that thing.

And speaking of courage, when I first started on this course of being a disciple of Jesus, the first persons that came to my mind were my christian parents, to prove that they were the greatest threat my decision to become a Jesus disciple faced - it was then it became clear to me what Jesus meant by "if someone doesn't hate his parents etc., he cannot be His disciple - for I certainly didn't have the courage to face them with it.

But I asked God to help me, because I didn't have the courage to face them with that decision but that I was willing.

And fast forward to today, over sixteen years later, where I could face just about any damn body with that decision, yeah, God gave the courage I needed to make good my willingness.

And I would have suggested that you asked Him to give you the courage to be able to do same in your beliefs, but since you don't believe He exists, that would be contradictory to your beliefs. wink

Nonetheless I hope you're able to find the courage you need for that purpose sis, because you would certainly need it at some point.

But just incase, if you don't find it there, then you should try God even though you don't believe He exists, because what would you stand you stand to lose? smiley
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by TheArranger(m): 4:17pm On Apr 11, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
TheArranger, since that was your last response, and one that is answered in the post you were responding to, I'm not sure it is worth the cost in time and energy to essentially repeat myself.

If you wish to talk to me privately, my email is in my signature and on my profile. It won't be a problem at all.
Check your mail pls
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Ihedinobi3: 11:57am On Apr 12, 2019
TheArranger:

Check your mail pls
Responded.
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by Nobody: 12:40am On May 04, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
SEYI371 YOU HAVE NO CASE.
THOSE ATHEISTS THAT DON'T TROLL ISLAM BUT ONLY CHRISTIANITY DON'T DO SO BECAUSE THEY FEAR ISLAM, NO. THEY DO SO BECAUSE THEY ARE MAINLY EX-CHRISTIANS AND HAVE THE CHRISTIAN CULTURE IN THEM, AND ON THIS FORUM AND ANYWHERE IN NIGERIA I CAN BOAST THAT THERE ARE MORE EX-CHRISTIAN ATHEISTS THAN THERE ARE EX-MUSLIM ATHEIST... MAYBE 80-20 IF THEY ARE 100 IN TOTAL. AGAIN EX-MUSLIMS HARDLY COME OUT OF THEIR SAFETY HOLES. THAT SHOULD EXPLAIN WHY THERE ARE MORE POSTS TROLLING CHRISTIANITY THAN THERE ARE TROLLING ISLAM.

ABOUT LETTING PEOPLE BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT, YOU DON'T DO THAT AS CHRISTIANS. YOU GO AFTER PEOPLE, TAKE THEIR LAND, MONEY, FREEDOM AND LEAVE THEM WITH THREATS OF HELL AND A LIFE OF LACK IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR NONSENSE.
BUT EVEN IF YOU LET PEOPLE BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT, WE WON'T DO THAT.

ALL RELIGIOUS/SUPERSTISIOUS BELIEFS ARE DETRIMENTAL TO OUR UNITY AS HUMANS, AND ALSO TO OUR EXISTENCE AS A SPECIE.

BELIEFS MUST BE ERADICATED AND WE WON'T STOP WORKING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

That's my guy CAPSY. Preach brother, preach cool
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by hayoholla(m): 8:00pm On May 19, 2019
budaatum:

Thats ok. I get you. When I was an atheist though, I never lacked belief in the existence of gods. I just knew they didn't exist in my own mind. They very definitely did exist in the minds of those in whom they existed however. Amazing what one can cook up in ones own mind. I do resent 39 cooking up of stuff in his own head, claiming he does not believe it then making out I do! You trying to spread your crap to my head, 39?

Can things exist in my mind alone and nowhere else and still exist? Or do things not exist in my mind?

To each, his own reality. In the end everything is a paradox.
Re: The Atheist's Prayer by budaatum: 8:09pm On May 19, 2019
hayoholla:

To each, his own reality. In the end everything is a paradox.
Make up your reality and try crossing a very busy road and you'd soon realise some things are real.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Please Stop Farting In Church / Anti-tithers, How Can I Get The Devourer Rebuked? / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.