Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,273 members, 7,829,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Please Someone Read This And Help Me If You Can! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Please Someone Read This And Help Me If You Can! (548 Views)

Please Check Out And Help... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please Someone Read This And Help Me If You Can! by mikeydre: 3:08am On Sep 07, 2010
Hi everyone, sorry for the overly dramatic subject. I am hoping someone here can help me with information on the general state of recording in Nigeria.
First a bit about me. I am 25 and currently completing my masters degree in the UK. I left Nigeria when I was 18 and have studied and worked here for the last 6 years.
I joined a band in the UK, we made mostly prog metal (its like heavy metal but more melodic), we got a few gigs around the Manchester and London scenes but nothing major.
Quite recently we've had an A&R looking at us, but I'm not willing to sign a record deal here as I'm coming back to Nigeria.

By the way, i'm the vocalist in the group and unfortunately I don't play any instruments but I write all the songs and the melodies.

So here's the question,

I am coming back to Nigeria next month, and I want to get into the music industry, it's that simple.

I've been writing music that is geared towards the Nigerian market --I can categorically say that there is NO ONE in the industry that makes the kind of music I do-- my style is a blend of soul/funk/hip-hop rock, it's very eclectic so it's pretty hard to describe it. Maybe my best description would be, a bit of ASA and a bit of fela.

I was wondering if it was possible to get a studio where a whole band can record a song. Over here, if a band wants to record with live instruments they can do that in a studio and some studios even have spaces for choirs (which I might need),since I only make music with live instruments, I am quite worried that I might not be able to record any songs for lack of space and I also worry that most recording studios in naija would not make instruments like guitars and drums available to the recording artist.

Also, I was wondering where I could find session artists (ie people who can play instruments and would play for hire). Since I can't play any instruments I would need to find band members, I would be happy to pay them for their services on a per song basis.

Thirdly, where can I find a quality studio, how long is a session and how much is it ?

Fourthly, how can I generate publicity for the song, I don't intend to sell CD's or anything, I just want the music to be played on radio and TV (forget channel U and MTV base, Lagos TV station is all I am interested in).

The reason I'm so anxious is because I decided at the last minute I was going to come back to Nigeria and I have a song that is pertinent to this coming election, so it's my intention to get it played on radio and TV before the election day, it's a very political song and I have a lot of hope in it. I need it to be on TV stations by 1st December

My problem obviously is that I have to come to Nigeria late October, find a studio, a producer and an engineer, record the song, then shoot a video.

Is it even possible to have it in Lagos TV stations and radio stations at short notice (maybe if I settle the DJ ?)

By the way, to any potential bandmates:

I am looking for someone to play Bass (very urgently)
Drums,
Acoustic Guitar and Electronic guitar
Trumpets

and if I could get a female vocalist that would be great! (Wishing)

Sorry for the tediously long message, but before I go,

In Nigeria's Rap Game I only recognise two,

M.I

Eldee

(1) (Reply)

2010 Soundcity Music Video Awards Nominees… Banky W Tops The List / New Video;jay Martins(jukpa Remix) Ft Fally Ipupa / Eldee Cashout Using Tinie Tempahs Passout Instrumental

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.