Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,721 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Zakat Al Fitr - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Zakat Al Fitr (3719 Views)

8 Basic Errors Muslims Make When Paying Zakat Al-fitr / How Zakat Can Reduce Poverty and Starvation / The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Zakat Al Fitr by azharuddin: 1:29pm On Sep 07, 2010
Zakat Al Fitr is obligatory zakat which should be given in the month of Ramadan (this should not be confused with Zakat al Maal which is the one which is given from the earnings through out the year).

It is related that Ibn 'Umar said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, made zakat al-Fitr obligatory for the Muslims - slave and free, male and female, young and old, being a sa' of dates or a sa' of barley. He commanded that it be paid before people went out to the prayer."

WHO is obliged to pay Zakat al Fitr?

Every Muslims who have the amount of Zakat al fitr, after fulfilling all his needs should pay Zakat al Fitr. Those who are in financial difficulty and does not have anything left after his needs is not obliged to pay.

WHEN is it given?

The time starts when the sun sets on the last day of Ramadan and it should be given BEFORE the Eid prayer. (some scholar are of the opinion that it can be given as far as 2 days before Eid but majority opinion is as stated).

HOW MUCH should I give?

1 Sa' of dates or 1 Sa' of barley for EACH MEMBER of the family. 1 Sa' = 2.5 kg approximately. Some say its 3 kg also. The difference in opinion is because Sa' is a measure of Volume so the weight will be different for different food stuff. So make sure you dont give less than 2.5 kg.

WHAT should I give?

Hadith states that we should give Zakat Al Fitr as FOOD ITEMS (not cash) such as rice, wheat, dates etc. (Payment as cash is only allowed in special circumstances such as the recipient is benefited more from money)

TO WHOM should I give?

1) The poor and the needy;
2) Those employed to collect Zakat;
3) For those whose hearts have been (recently) reconciled (to truth);
4) To free slaves;
5) For those in bondage and in debt;
6) In the cause of Allah;
7) For the Traveller.
(Al-Qur'an, 9: 60)

Is intention(niyat) necessary?

Intention(niyat) before giving Zakat is obligatory. Without intention the Zakat is not fulfilled.

There are 3 members in my family, how much Zakat al Fitr should I give?

3 members x 2.5 kg= 7.5kg in total.

May Allah accept our zakat.
Ameen

(1) (Reply)

Youths’ Corruption And Their Problems / Islamic practice of death Sentence for Apostates? / Arafah Is Tuesday, Strive To Fast That Day!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.