Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,237 members, 7,822,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? (21237 Views)

Remi Tinubu Is Actually The President Of This Country And Not Bola Ahmed (PHOTO) / Oshiomhole Accident In Benin: The Damaged SUV Conveying Ex Governor / In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Iamgrey5(m): 4:59pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
What I am saying doesn't need reformulation, there is no eyewitness written text which acknowledges oyo as being an empire or a strong state or even old.
There were numerous Eyewitness

Numerous evidence that still have ramifications till today.

Oyo empire is acknowledged among numerous tribes written and oral tradition

The fons and Bariba in Benin republic

The Ga and Ewe of Ghana

The fulanis and Nupes of Nigeria

Amongst numerous others who were all able to come in contact with the Oyo empire at different stages for different reasons.

Even ibadan today is a war camp of the Oyo empire
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 5:00pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
As I have already said right here, many many times, the ogisos are nothing but a story !!! They never existed ! Why do I constantly need to repeat myself ? It just dhows how desperate you guys are to claim Edo achievements and heritage, it is so sad you have no history and heritage

My history and heritage extends far beyond the shores of Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MetaPhysical: 5:01pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
As I have already said right here, many many times, the ogisos are nothing but a story !!! They never existed ! Why do I constantly need to repeat myself ? It just dhows how desperate you guys are to claim Edo achievements and heritage, it is so sad you have no history and heritage

You can never dismiss Ogiso as the set of rulers responsible for organizing Edo into a society. Never!
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 5:02pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:

Lol, even Everyone in the world are going to disagree with your statement that the Yoruba have no culture and Heritage. You are the one claiming Yoruba With your story of your long lost prince, even the British Claimed in a documentary that you learnt your arts from Ile Ife, not Yoruba but you can also call the British Liars as usual.

Don't be emotional about this my friend, we are not the one bearing Benin names and worshipping Benin Gods but it is the other way round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa0st_aMjmA
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

The Ogizos never existed? Did you know the current Oba of Benin acknowledged Oranmiyan as the first Oba of Benin?
Who ruled the Benins before that?
How is youur story relevant to a logical discussion ?
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 5:03pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
History doesn't rely on fictions or rumours, it relies on eyewitness written documents. You guys need brain transplant

You are so freaking dumb. It means you had no history until the Europeans brought writing to this part of the world. Everything that existed before that was fable? You are indeed a funny one.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Busted234: 5:04pm On Mar 31, 2019
Onijagidijagan:

Edo and Yorubas are talking see an Igbo man talking too.
Is not your fault o. Na faceless social media forum dey cause am.

What makes u think I am igbo?
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 5:05pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
How is youur story relevant to a logical discussion ?

You keep mouthing logic and you are anything but logical.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by EdiAbali: 5:06pm On Mar 31, 2019
devlishGINGER:
please where did you find this image

On instagram, they are in British Museum
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MetaPhysical: 5:07pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

Im shocked at his dismissal of Ogiso as the genesis of Edo relevance. They dump anything indigeneous and claim the fables whitemen wrote for them.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

Lol, even Everyone in the world are going to disagree with your statement that the Yoruba have no culture and Heritage. You are the one claiming Yoruba With your story of your long lost prince, even the British Claimed in a documentary that you learnt your arts from Ile Ife, not Yoruba but you can also call the British Liars as usual.

Don't be emotional about this my friend, we are not the one bearing Benin names and worshipping Benin Gods but it is the other way round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa0st_aMjmA
I knew you were going to bring out this video. These clowns repeating yoruba-centric claims does not equal "the British aknowledging that the Edo told them that ife taught Benin ..." Two white guys does not equal Britain ! This is just a video, it holds no academic credence. This is not an eyewitness written document. And stop making dozens of claims while you still haven't proven your first claims. It is a well known fact that Yoruba accademia was involved in a lot of revisionism in order to claim Benin heritage, don't think that having a few white people say your words would somehow fool us into believing your rubbish. I am done.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 5:09pm On Mar 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Im shocked at his dismissal of Ogiso as the genesis of Edo relevance. They dump anything indigeneous and claim the fables whitemen wrote for them.

If Ogizo did not exist, when then did he get his Ekalederhan story?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MetaPhysical: 5:10pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

If Ogizo did not exist, when then did you get your Ekalederhan story?

grin grin
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

As I said, I believe only factual stuff, not fairytale...in case you didn't know, Santa and Hercules and Zeus and spider man are also fiction, they never existed alongside fictions like oduduwa and oranmiyan...
You guys are just too dumb my girl needs me now, so f you
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MetaPhysical: 5:19pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
As I said, I believe only factual stuff, not fairytale...in case you didn't know, Santa and Hercules and Zeus and spider man are also fiction, they never existed alongside fictions like oduduwa and oranmiyan...
You guys are just too dumb my girl needse now, so f you

You have to start from somewhere to convince us that Edo was a civilized society without donations of Ogiso and Oba both from Ife.

Give us an indigeneous innovation that Edo created and used to rule over others whether via trade, military or dynasty.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

yet you didn't answer the simple question. We are trying to have a logical debate about history and you needed to talk about what the King said ? How is that relevant to this debate ?
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

You have to start from somewhere to convince us that Edo was a civilized society without donations of Ogiso and Oba both from Ife.

Give us an indigeneous innovation that Edo created and used to rule over others whether via trade, military or dynasty.
go back and read what I wrote, I am tired of repeating myself. How many times must I say the ogisos are fictional ? And nobody comes from your godforsaken ife ! It is not my fault you guys are stvpid
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MetaPhysical: 5:25pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
go back and read what I wrote, I am tired of repeating myself. How many times must I say the igisos are fictional ? And nobody comes from your godforsaken ife ! It is not my fault you guys are stvpid

Ok, Ogisos are fictional...and you were not ruled by foreigners dispatched from Ife. I will give that to you and park it aside for now. We must hearr of indigeneous Edo achievements.

Tell us about Edo without Ogiso and Oba.

Who were Edos in their beginning, how did you live?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Ok, Ogisos are fictional...and you were not ruled by foreigners dispatched from Ife. I will give that to you and park it aside for now. We must hearr of indigeneous Edo achievements.

Tell us about Edo without Ogiso and Oba.

Who were Edos in their beginning, how did you live?
It is like you just can't understand that the ogisos are a mere story! Your brain refuses to compute logics. You want me to basically go into a time machine and look for a period in which the Edo were not ruled by their King who holds the title Oba ? What guaranties that such a period exists ? In the fifteenth century, the Portuguese met the Oba in Benin city. You need to learn how to think and stop believing history is magic. Not everything which happened can be known. Making up stories to fill the void is the common option when education is scarce but in today's era you should at least realise those are mere stories, fictions to fill the void.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 5:43pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
I knew you were going to bring out this video. These clowns repeating yoruba-centric claims does not equal "the British aknowledging that the Edo told them that ife taught Benin ..." Two white guys does not equal Britain ! This is just a video, it holds no academic credence. This is not an eyewitness written document. And stop making dozens of claims while you still haven't proven your first claims. It is a well known fact that Yoruba accademia was involved in a lot of revisionism in order to claim Benin heritage, don't think that having a few white people say your words would somehow fool us into believing your rubbish. I am done.

Where did you think they got their information from ? grin they got their information from the British historical documentation of Benin they just didn't conclude through assumption but they concluded through British Historical documentation of Benin.

You can deny it all you like and call every History that doesn't favour you lies, but stop claiming Yoruba through your half bake story about a lost prince and Yoruba is not the only tribe in Nigeria that their founder descended from the sky, even you also claimed too that you descended from the sky, but why must it be wrong for only Yoruba to tell their history that way too?
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 5:44pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:

Where did you think they got their information from ? grin they got their information from the British historical documentation of Benin they just didn't conclude through assumption but they concluded through British Historical documentation of Benin.

You can deny it all you like and call every History that doesn't favour you lies, but stop claiming Yoruba through your half bake story about a lost prince and Yoruba is not the only tribe in Nigeria that their founder descended from the sky, even you also claimed too that you descended from the sky, but why must it be wrong for only Yoruba to tell their history that way too? I smell hyprocrisy and lies
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

You can deny it all you like and call every History that doesn't favour you lies, but stop claiming Yoruba through your half bake story about a lost prince and Yoruba is not the only tribe in Nigeria that their founder descended from the sky, even you also claimed too that you descended from the sky, but why must it be wrong for only Yoruba to tell their history that way too?

You have got your hand so stuck on Benin heritage that you refuse let go. Stop making stuff up. And I am tired of having to talk to one Yoruba after the other, you guys are three here all talking me as if I were a robot having 3 people talk to me at once and just dump their insecurities on me. For your info, those hire guys are not quoting any British historical document, they never said so in the video by the way, talkless of even providing the alleged documents. It is just your imagination which is telling you they are quoting any such document. To the best of my recollection, they are quoting Yoruba story tellers . The colour of their skin is nothing special. Get over it, I live in France and most of the people are white, doesn't make everything they say true or coming from the French historical achives
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 31, 2019
Yoruba and logics are really not friends. These Yoruba debate against facts and logics while constantly making stuff up. They believe in their tricks so much they refuse to accept that we are not being fooled. Have some white guys repeat yoriba-centric claims on Benin history and serve it to the Edo, that would do the trick ... Yoruba, you guys need to evolve, these tricks make you only look silly, you can't be serving me this especially given the fact I live in europe. I have access to their museums and libraries and I told you !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZAXb0XVwI
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 6:04pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
You have got your hand so stuck on Benin heritage that you refuse let go. Stop making stuff up. And I am tired of having to talk to one Yoruba after the other, you guys are three here all talking me as if I were a robot having 3 people talk to me at once and just dump their insecurities on me. For your info, those hire guys are not quoting any British historical document, they never said so in the video by the way, talkless of even providing the alleged documents. It is just your imagination which is telling you they are quoting any such document. To the best of my recollection, they are quoting Yoruba story tellers . The colour of their skin is nothing special. Get over it, I live in France and most of the people are white, doesn't make everything they say true or coming from the French historical achives

So the British claim that Benin learnt their Arts from Ile ife was made up by Yoruba?

And you are the one ranting that you need eye Witness and account from other people, but now that you have eye witness narration you are changing and twisting your words again?

This is also an account of a Portuguese that visited Benin and he acknowledged Ooni of Ife

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=hBTqPX4G9Y4C&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=joao+afonso+aveiro+ife&source=bl&ots=FQdVs4h4at&sig=LM0fpsmfzDkT7cG4SORdc1RsGyw&hl=en

You guys can deny Everything with Yoruba no one give a fvck but you should stop preaching and lieing about how Oduduwa was a Benin Prince. You can go look for your lost prince in Nri Kingdom since they also have founder that descended from the sky

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 6:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
Yoruba and logics are really not friends. These Yoruba debate against facts and logics while constantly making stuff up. They believe in their tricks so much they refuse to accept that we are not being fooled. Have some white guys repeat yoriba-centric claims on Benin history and serve it to the Edo, that would do the trick ... Yoruba, you guys need to evolve, these tricks make you only look silly, you can't be serving me this especially given the fact I live in europe. I have access to their museums and libraries and I told you !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZAXb0XVwI

The same Europeans told you that Benin learnt their arts from Ile - Ife, but it is obvious you are delusional lol. Every Account and History that doesn't favour you was made up by Yoruba even if it wasn't from Yoruba grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

So the British claim that Benin learnt their Arts from Ile ife was made up by Yoruba?

And you are the one ranting that you need eye Witness and account from other people, but now that you have eye witness narration you are changing and twisting your words again?

This is also an account of a Portuguese that visited Benin and he acknowledged Ooni of Ife

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=hBTqPX4G9Y4C&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=joao+afonso+aveiro+ife&source=bl&ots=FQdVs4h4at&sig=LM0fpsmfzDkT7cG4SORdc1RsGyw&hl=en

You guys can deny Everything with Yoruba no one give a fvck but you should stop preaching and lieing about how Oduduwa was a Benin Prince. You can go look for your lost prince in Nri Kingdom since they also have founder that descended from the sky

Hehehehe, the European accounts doesn't matter if it doesn't support his theories. The same guy who said he relied on the written account of the Europeans.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 6:19pm On Mar 31, 2019
Prolog31, looking at the thread and scared to comment.

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Biodun556(m): 6:23pm On Mar 31, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:
There is no relationship.

At least not the way you think.

Benin Republic is a francophone country formerly known as Dahomey (Kingdom of Dahomey). The Beninese have no relationship with the Bini of Benin city. The word ‘Benin’ is a corruption of the word ‘Ubinu’ which was an ancient city that traded with the Portuguese who were the first Europeans to step into the hinter region known as West Africa.

The country was named after the Bight of Benin which is a body of water in the Gulf of Guinea on the Western African coast and which in turn was named after the Benin Empire (which was the predominant empire in that time). The new name Benin was chosen for its neutrality because ‘Dahomey’ was a reflection of the former Kingdom of Dahomey which covered the Southern parts of the country and did not represent Porto-novo, a rival state to the South, Atokera in the North-western sector, nor the Kingdom of Borgu in the North-eastern region.

But there is a connection.

Oduduwa is the Father of Yoruba land and he settled in Ile-ife which is the seat of the Yoruba Kingdom. All people of Yoruba descent trace their lineage to him.

The Bini connection to Oduduwa is a bit more complicated because of the supremacy tussle between the Ooni of Ife and the Oba of Benin (Benin City) as to whether the Bini originated from the Yoruba or the Yoruba from the Bini. There are mythological and historical conflicts to these accounts.

Without stepping into the murky waters of this conflict, (which is also not the purpose of the question), what is clear by the Bini and Yoruba is that; Oranmiyan, the son of Oduduwa, was sent to rule Benin and he had a son known as Eweka I who became the first Oba of Benin.

Ergo, it can be said the relationship between Benin Republic and Benin City is the shared ancestry between a major Beninese tribe and the Kingdom of Benin.

Historians in the house, your contributions is also needed. Thanks.

Bight of Benin is named after Benin Empire due to the slave trade between Europeans and Africans. There were other Empires existing in West Africa but because the coastal area were the slaves were gathered and taken to Europe was closer to Benin Empire so the area was named Bight of Benin.

Benin Republic took its name from Bight of Benin although no historical connection between Benin Empire and Benin Republic.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 6:25pm On Mar 31, 2019
Biodun556:

Bight of Benin is named after Benin Empire due to the slave trade between Europeans and Africans. There were other Empires existing in West Africa but because the coastal area were the slaves were gathered and taken to Europe was closer to Benin Empire so the area was named Bight of Benin.

Benin Republic took its name from Bight of Benin although no historical connection between Benin Empire and Benin Republic.

okay

Thanks for the info sir..
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Biodun556(m): 6:27pm On Mar 31, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:
There is no relationship.

At least not the way you think.

Benin Republic is a francophone country formerly known as Dahomey (Kingdom of Dahomey). The Beninese have no relationship with the Bini of Benin city. The word ‘Benin’ is a corruption of the word ‘Ubinu’ which was an ancient city that traded with the Portuguese who were the first Europeans to step into the hinter region known as West Africa.

The country was named after the Bight of Benin which is a body of water in the Gulf of Guinea on the Western African coast and which in turn was named after the Benin Empire (which was the predominant empire in that time). The new name Benin was chosen for its neutrality because ‘Dahomey’ was a reflection of the former Kingdom of Dahomey which covered the Southern parts of the country and did not represent Porto-novo, a rival state to the South, Atokera in the North-western sector, nor the Kingdom of Borgu in the North-eastern region.

But there is a connection.

Oduduwa is the Father of Yoruba land and he settled in Ile-ife which is the seat of the Yoruba Kingdom. All people of Yoruba descent trace their lineage to him.

The Bini connection to Oduduwa is a bit more complicated because of the supremacy tussle between the Ooni of Ife and the Oba of Benin (Benin City) as to whether the Bini originated from the Yoruba or the Yoruba from the Bini. There are mythological and historical conflicts to these accounts.

Without stepping into the murky waters of this conflict, (which is also not the purpose of the question), what is clear by the Bini and Yoruba is that; Oranmiyan, the son of Oduduwa, was sent to rule Benin and he had a son known as Eweka I who became the first Oba of Benin.

Ergo, it can be said the relationship between Benin Republic and Benin City is the shared ancestry between a major Beninese tribe and the Kingdom of Benin.

Historians in the house, your contributions is also needed. Thanks.

See also Bight of Biafra was named after a coastal area in Cameroon. There is a place called Biafra in Portugal so the Portuguese named that Cameroonian place Biafra because it looks like the Biafra in thier country.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

You must be playing dumb on purpose. No human being can be this dumb. So now you do not know the meaning of "eye witness" ? I need to explain this to you ? And also I need to repeat to you that the guy in that video being white or British doesn't translate into his speech being the British account ? And the text which you shared was written withing the last thirty years it is not a historical document and the author is not portuguese, it is one white lady from america who dwells on history of art and the Benin she is talking about might just be benin republic, she even talks another "Kings" of Benin in plural, therefore suggesting several kingfoms and not Benin Kingdom. Also she suggests that the ooni of ife is just one among many possibilities for the "ogheni of uhe".

You people's desperation at claiming an other people's heritage is normal when you realise Yoruba descend from brazilian freed slaves who were brought the region by European ships.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2019
icebird25:

God bless you my brother. ..even in the coronation ceremony of this current oba of Benin... The same story was brought up... The Oba of ile ife was there live...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Supreme Court Dismisses Atiku's Request To Inspect INEC Server / Popular PDP Supporter, Ayokunle Odekunle Is Dead, Atiku Abubakar Mourns / Why Jega Must Clear His Name Or Face The Consequences - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.