Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

What You Need To Know About Psalm 151 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What You Need To Know About Psalm 151 (714 Views)

Bible Verses To Memorise For Christian Apologetics — Psalm 139:23-24 / You Anoint My Head with Oil........Psalm 23:5. (THE TRUE MEANING!) / Which Psalm Works For You As A Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Psalm 151 by Chukazu: 8:11am On Mar 31, 2019
Psalm 151 is a short psalm found in most copies of the Septuagint[1] but not in the Masoretic Text of the Hebrew Bible. The title given to this psalm in the Septuagint indicates that it is supernumerary, and no number is affixed to it: "This Psalm is ascribed to David and is outside the number. When he slew Goliath in single combat".[2] It is also included in some manuscripts of the Peshitta. The psalm concerns the story of David and Goliath.

The Eastern Orthodox Church as well as the Coptic Orthodox Church, Armenian Apostolic Church and the Armenian Catholic Church[citation needed] accept Psalm 151 as canonical. Roman Catholics, Protestants, and most Jews consider it apocryphal. However, it is found in an appendix in some Catholic Bibles, such as certain editions of the Latin Vulgate, as well as in some ecumenical translations, such as the New Revised Standard Version. Psalm 151 is cited once in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Breviary, as a responsory of the series from the books of Kings, the second in the Roman Breviary, together with 1 Kings 17:37 in a slightly different text from the Vulgate

Content.
The title of the psalm states that it was written by David after his battle with Goliath. The psalm assumes familiarity with and draws ideas and phraseology from elsewhere in the Bible.[16]

I was small among my brothers,
and the youngest in my father’s house;
I tended my father’s sheep.

My hands made a harp;
my fingers fashioned a lyre.

And who will tell my LORD?
The LORD Himself; it is He who hears.

It was He who sent His messenger
and took me from my father’s sheep,
and anointed me with His anointing oil.

My brothers were handsome and tall,
but the LORD was not pleased with them.

I went out to meet the Philistine,
and he cursed me by his idols.

But I drew his own sword;
I beheaded him, and took away disgrace from the people of Israel.

(1) (Reply)

Cherrypicking of christians / 10 Things Worth Knowing About Ogbanje (abiku) / Church Members Walk Out As Gay Pastor Says His Partner Is Pregnant (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.