Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Religion- A Mental Idolatry - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion- A Mental Idolatry (380 Views)

Russia-ukrainian War: Is Religion A Scam?(photos) / Is Religion A Scam? / Genocide In The Name Of Religion- A Reminder Of How Evil & Dangerous Religion Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion- A Mental Idolatry by iamdrfresh: 7:03am On Apr 07, 2019
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.
Robert M. Pirsig,

I went to a friend's room on campus yesterday but he wasn't around... Met 3pastors( campus fellowship) in his room instead- they were all listening to a message (I don't know the preacher).

The preacher said "People can be really stupid. Imagine someone bringing materials together and making a statue in order to worship it."

They all started laughing. It was obvious they were happy thinking they've caught rhema(revelation).

But then I thought worshipping a being you've not seen or heard from; but only read about in books is delusional and plain stupid.

Idolatry: 'the worship of a physical object as a god'

For religion, it's simply d worship of an imaginary image/object/person which is just a thin line away from Idolatry.
I call it Mental Idolatry.

CC
OAM4J
LALASTICLALA
FYNESTBOI
mynd44

3 Likes

Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by Funnyman: 8:04am On Apr 07, 2019
I just read this write-up and it cracked me up. The truth is people will only see things from the angle they have chosen to view things.
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by Funnyman: 8:11am On Apr 07, 2019
lalasticlala, let's have others view
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by UceeGod: 11:49am On Apr 07, 2019
Faith is a gift from God and it's common to all humans but only a few accept it.
When you believe in Someone you've not seen or heard physically, it's called FAITH.
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by rekinomtla(m): 2:37pm On Apr 07, 2019
If there's anyone who knows what a delusion is, it's Robert M. Pirsig, he was a diagnosed schizophrenic who was no stranger to psychiatric hospitals. grin
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by Shepherd00: 3:16pm On Apr 07, 2019
iamdrfresh:
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.
Robert M. Pirsig,

I went to a friend's room on campus yesterday but he wasn't around... Met 3pastors( campus fellowship) in his room instead- they were all listening to a message (I don't know the preacher).

The preacher said "People can be really stupid. Imagine someone bringing materials together and making a statue in order to worship it."

They all started laughing. It was obvious they were happy thinking they've caught rhema(revelation).

But then I thought worshipping a being you've not seen or heard from; but only read about in books is delusional and plain stupid.

Idolatry: 'the worship of a physical object as a god'

For religion, it's simply d worship of an imaginary image/object/person which is just a thin line away from Idolatry.
I call it Mental Idolatry.

CC
OAM4J
LALASTICLALA
FYNESTBOI
mynd44
Is Jesus a person or not?
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by Trike: 11:16pm On May 24, 2019
iamdrfresh:
Robert M. Pirsig,

You are quoting a mad man. Robert M. Pirsig wrote “The motorcycle is mainly a mental phenomenon. People who have never worked with steel have trouble seeing this.”

He added, “A study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study of the art of rationality itself.” Atheists worship a machine they have seen.
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by LilMissFavvy(f): 6:10am On May 25, 2019
''when you believe in someone you've not seen or heard''.........., I think only a shallow Christian has not seen manifestations to see that God is real. It is also a shallow Christian who does not hear from God. Your statement sounds like you are saying that Christians don't hear from God, dats why am commenting. Even if you should give a message to an unbeliver, you should be clear that after receiving the message of Christ with faith, he/she will also grow in faith, to get to hearing from God and seeing manifestations to show that Christ is real.
UceeGod:
Faith is a gift from God and it's common to all humans but only a few accept it.
When you believe in Someone you've not seen or heard physically, it's called FAITH.
Re: Religion- A Mental Idolatry by CrazyMan(m): 3:47pm On Jun 01, 2019
Op even scientist have proven that Jesus existed and still exists. And his tomb has even been located. And there have been countless stories of people having various encounters with him. So worshipping him isn't delusional cos he's alive.

(1) (Reply)

OPINION: Christianity In Nigeria: Irrelevance Looms / A Vision Of The Coming Of Jesus / The Interpretation Of The Dream Of When You See Uncompleted Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.