Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,599 members, 7,827,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri (27131 Views)

Police Detain Jobless Youth For Attempted Suicide, Court Grants N200,000 Bail / Police Detain Suspicious Vulture Owned By A Woman In Adamawa / Man Cries Out After SARS Extorted Him For Owning An Iphone And 50k In His Accoun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by 2mercy: 8:26pm On Apr 08, 2019
By Steve Uzoechi, OWERRI

Police detain student for owning two Facebook accounts

The reign of extortion and intimidation of residents especially students living within the Polytechnic community may have taken an alarming dimension as multiple allegations indicate that the police formation in the area sometimes engage in arbitrary arrest and detention of youths and students in the area without regard to rights and due process.

A student of one of the off-campus student lodges, Benny Udogu narrated his ordeal in the hands of the rampaging policemen recently when he told our correspondent how he was bundled into police detention for allegedly owning two Facebook accounts.

The security man in the lodge was also arrested and handcuffed for daring to question the arrest of the student.

A third occupant of the lodge, Chukwuka Ubani was also thrown into the police bus in handcuffs for refusing to unlock his mobile phone for the policemen, after he was beaten black and blue.

Narrating his ordeal, Udogu said: “The incident happened around 8:15pm on that fateful day. I returned from MCC road and due to the heat, I decided to relax outside in the balcony (1st floor, upstairs) of our lodge and get some fresh air while listening to music on my phone.

“Not too long after, an armed man on mufti approached me from behind and due to the brightness of his torch light I was unable to see his face, but his cap had the Nigerian police logo on it.

“So he asked me what I was doing sitting in the balcony, he also asked if I lived in the lodge and I told him I lived in the lodge, that I just returned from town and decided to chill outside a little.

“He demanded for my phone which I gave him. He accessed my phone and gave it back to me and before I could say thank you, another man on mufti who wore Police bulletproof vest approached me and asked same question and I answered, he collected my phone and ordered that I take him to my room and I took him to my room and three more police men followed me making them a total of 4 policemen.

“They searched my room and found nothing; one of them requested that I unlock my phone which I did. He accessed my phone again and asked me why I have two Facebook accounts, I told him that a friend used my phone to check his account so he logged into my account, log out and tried to log into the second account and discovered that it’s not in use (showing error message), so he called me a fraudster. And they immediately bundled me downstairs into their bus and drove me to their station (Ihiagwa Police Station) where they dumped me in cell. They were deaf to all my pleas and explanations and did not let me write a statement before they locked me up in their cell.

“I was detained till the next day when I was allowed to write my statement at about 11am. That was also when I was allowed to make a call to whoever would come and bail me. However, I was unconditionally released after the intervention of my elder brother through the Divisional Crime officer.

Another student, Peter Ogbunka confided in our correspondent that he was arrested and detained for about a week in the same station because some policemen said his mouth smelled like that of one who smoked Indian Hemp.

Said he, “I was on my way back home and these policemen flagged down and stopped the motorbike (Okada) I was on. They searched me and found nothing. One of them leaned closer and said my mouth smelt of Indian Hemp and that was how I was detained for more than a week for no just cause.”

Ogbunka who noted that an asthmatic student, which he said were many on campus, would not last 20 minutes in the cell he was detained as ‘it was totally unhygienic and beyond inhuman to hold any person there’.

The students called on the Police high command to put some supervisory mechanism in place to check the rampant excesses of these policemen ‘who play god with human lives’ in the Nekede Polytechnic area.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/04/police-detain-student-for-owning-two-facebook-accounts/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by SOFTENGR: 8:28pm On Apr 08, 2019
Naija Police o!
Wetin be this?
In Psquare voice

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by blackboy(m): 9:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
Them get target. When hunger wire them or uncompleted project them go pick ppl up and down. Fear police.

21 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by ainas247: 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2019
angry Wawu Just 2...
come to Nairaland you go see 10

rank your business fast on Google
and see great result

2 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Enemyofpeace: 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2019
Rubbish. Jobless corrupt people

8 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by chiedu7: 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2019
WHen I have lost count of the number of FB accts I have

3 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by lmm4real: 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

Nigeria My Nigeria This country have Cast grin grin grin

I don't know how true this allegations are, but the Nigeria Police I Know Are more than capable of them and more grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Korllami007: 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2019
Naso so police park over 150 students in eksu in one night last year. They came with like more than 3 Dyna pick ups. Police Hilux pick ups. Students wey de watch ball den pack them, students wey de sleep in hostels den pack dem, students wey dey chop for restaurants den pack them, students wey de buy something for main road den pack them. If no say be say the remaining students enter main road, protested by blocking main road that night then for no release them that night.

It's an insult to the zoo by calling Nigeria a zoo because zoo still have rules and regulations. For instance you can't find python in tiger's cage. You can't find bear in lion's cage. So they have rules and regulations. But Nigeria is not a zoo. it is a jungle.

97 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by akinbode1(m): 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2019
Nigeria is a zoo indeed!!!
What concerns police with someone facebook account......#Arrant nonsense#

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by emeejinsm: 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2019
Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by jamezman(m): 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2019
Lemme quickly sell my other accounts since its now against the law.....
Any buyer. .2014 fb account

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by IamCeazer(m): 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2019
Hmmmm. Dat means me dat hav 3 FB Acct is in trouble? Make i run go Togo?

3 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Greenleaf247: 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2019
End time police

5 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Chuks9000: 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2019
Nothing wey person no go see for police hand cry

4 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by iAmViper(m): 10:29pm On Apr 08, 2019
Iranu
Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by LagosWharf: 10:29pm On Apr 08, 2019
They should come and detain people with multiple Nairaland accounts. they will arrest more than half of Nairaland members.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by kunleweb: 10:29pm On Apr 08, 2019
I have almost 17 f. B accounts

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Hienna(m): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
Is there a Nigerian youth with one fb acct before

6 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Brandonx(m): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
jamezman:
Lemme quickly sell my other accounts since its now against the law.....

Any buyer.
.2014 fb account
Your own is recent I ve got 2009 if you see buyer lemme know grin

17 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Peacemaker5129(f): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
All aggressive idiotic jobless pigs are potential criminals
Let police do their job thoroughly

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Wakajeje007: 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
so 2 Facebook account is now BVN?

7 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by jucevbaron(m): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
Wonder shall never end in this country

4 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by PrincessB1(f): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
Nawa o!
When some Nlanders posses numerous accounts.

Nothing person no go see undecided

2 Shares

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by KidsNEXTdoor: 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2019
When will police question Bolaji Tinubu for operating a bullion van dispensing money in Burdillon

11 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Xbell: 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2019
And I have two accounts both with 5k followers, who need one for just small money before they go arrest me.
Meanwhile in other news: you can get your latest movies and TV series all in HD quality at a very affordable price. For more enquires cal/WhatsApp 07088227142
Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by NaijaRoyalty(m): 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2019
Dis country sef

3 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by northvietnam(m): 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2019
grin
Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Englishgold: 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2019
Anyway sha, I nor like two of una

Una get many virus
Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by Yankee101: 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2019
We need to raise a whole new police system based on education, forensics, investigation, hard work and evidence

While the military formation has more discipline, it needs revamping too

6 Likes

Re: Police Detain Student For Owning Two Facebook Accounts In Owerri by mgdimagaladima(m): 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2019
Is that one a crime?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Concubine Set Rival, Lover, Children Ablaze In Osun / Court Fines Rufai Oseni ₦70,000 For Driving On BRT Lane. / Boko Haram Commander, Alhaji Modu, 27 Others Killed In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.