Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,790 members, 7,956,020 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:33 PM

Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? (599 Views)

Ikeja Royal Families Settle For New Monarch After 9 Years Of An Empty Palace / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / Nigerian's Discuss : "Dont Compare The Struggle Of Biafra To Brexit." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? by YellowSimba: 9:02pm On Apr 09, 2019
Will the breaking of close ties with the EU allow for Britain to move closer to the commonwealth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-3DbRA0Tzg
Re: Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? by pansophist(m): 11:04pm On Apr 09, 2019
One of the main reason for Brexit is immigration, as the British fear that they've lost control of their border, and the only way to regain it back among other things, is to withdraw from the EU treaty. With such foundation, it is inconceivable to loosen immigration with common wealth citizens, given that most common wealth countries are not on equal terms economically, politically and GDP with the UK.

No, I do not foresee an easy Visa access to the UK post Brexit.

1 Like

Re: Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? by YellowSimba: 8:08am On Apr 10, 2019
I think this is pessimistic.

I think it is a possibility that post Brexit Britain may be more fair to Nigerians.

Do I think they will take more immigrants. No.

Do I think there is a possibility of fairer visa distribution once the EU citizens lose their privileged status. Yes.

pansophist:
One of the main reason for Brexit is immigration, as the British fear that they've lost control of their border, and the only way to regain it back among other things, is to withdraw from the EU treaty. With such foundation, it is inconceivable to loosen immigration with common wealth citizens, given that most common wealth countries are not on equal terms economically, politically and GDP with the UK.

No, I do not foresee an easy Visa access to the UK post Brexit.
Re: Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? by pansophist(m): 8:17am On Apr 10, 2019
YellowSimba:
I think this is pessimistic.

I think it is a possibility that post Brexit Britain may be more fair to Nigerians.

Do I think they will take more immigrants. No.

Do I think there is a possibility of fairer visa distribution once the EU citizens lose their privileged status. Yes.

It's been realistic. It will only be fair to people bringing skills that are needed in the UK. Its immigration will still be comparable as now. Firstly, you need to understand that even while in the EU, the UK still control its immigration act, hence, it refuses to be part of the schengen area.

The only immigration policy of the EU that was transposed into British domestic law was directive 2004/58/EC, which pertained to the free movement of EU citizens and their family members only. Status for long term resident, students, non EU immigration policies for third countries national etc are largely domestic and not instituted the EU, unlike other EU countries. I foresee no changes.
Re: Will Brexit Be Good For Nigerians Immigrants Who Want To Settle The UK? by DejiSantos: 12:19pm On Apr 10, 2019
Maybe you are right.

I hope you are wrong.

Lets see how things work out.

pansophist:

It's been realistic. It will only be fair to people bringing skills that are needed in the UK. Its immigration will still be comparable as now. Firstly, you need to understand that even while in the EU, the UK still control its immigration act, hence, it refuses to be part of the schengen area.

The only immigration policy of the EU that was transposed into British domestic law was directive 2004/58/EC, which pertained to the free movement of EU citizens and its family members only. Status for long term resident, students, non EU immigration policies for third countries national etc are largely domestic and not instituted the EU, unlike other EU countries. I foresee no changes.

(1) (Reply)

Why Oduduwa Is Not From Benin. / Story Of Sango ; The Great God Of The Yoruba Kingdom Worldwide / You Cannot Be King Of Ajah- Says Ajah Ruling Houses And Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.