Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle (30431 Views)

Fortune Okudaye: Lady Rides Okada To Pay School Fees, Shares Her Experience / I Want Too Pay School Fee Of 10 Students / BBC Features The Ajegunle School Where Fees Are Paid With Plastic Bottles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by VolvoS60(m): 12:33pm On Apr 11, 2019
Looks like a good initiative.
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by simple250: 12:34pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:
The school used the bottles for Kunu and Zobo which it makes and gives the Children to hawk around sad

The kids are paying their fees with bottles and periodic hawking of Zobo and Kunu for the school

Na Zobo drink they your head instead of blood grin

2 Likes

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Hoodbilonia: 12:34pm On Apr 11, 2019
I just love street
I wan go buy kunu with egg row
Wit pepsi before i make my spag jolof by 3pm
Man must bomb
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by passionberry(f): 12:35pm On Apr 11, 2019
cyrilamx:
Gloria Ikegbule

At a time plastic bottles are causing nuisance in the environment, parents in Morit International School, Ajegunle, Lagos have found an economical use for them. The school now allows parents to pay their children’s fees with cleanly sorted plastic bottles gathered from the environment.

This became possible after the school adopted the RecyclesPay Educational Project, an initiative of African Clean Up Initiative (ACI), an environmental non-governmental organisation in Lagos.

The school authority embraced the initiative following their concerned about reducing the burden of parents paying their wards fees. Over 25 parents of the low-income school have embraced the initiative whereby parents bring plastic wastes on designated days.

Wecyclers, the recycling company attached to the project comes to collect the plastic bottles after weighing what each parent brought.

Proprietor of the school, Mr. Patrick Mbamara, described the RecyclesPay Educational Project a a welcome initiative. ‘It is helping to cushion the financial burden of parents in the school. We have a history of parents finding it difficult to pay each term school fees of N7, 500.

“The money from the PET bottles is not much but it balances for what the parents can pay. I and my staff are happy with this initiative. It has improved parents payment of school fees and it teaches the children how to manage their waste and promote a cleaner environment.”

Mr. Alex Akhigbe, Chief Environmental Officer of ACI noted that the money realized by each parents might look small but it is of value. He explained that a kilo of the sorted plastics goes for N20 to N25, adding that little drops of money realized helps make up for the balance of the school fees.

His words: “PET bottles in the past were seen as waste but they are not anymore. Parents can raise money from collecting them and making them available to recyclers. They in turn convert it to other products usable by man.

“The recyclers weigh the plastic bottles and pen the kilogramme each parent brought. A kilogramme of PET bottles goes for N20 to N25 per kilo depending on the recycler. If a parent comes with 10 kilo, he or she will get N200 to N250. It looks like a huge effort is required. However; it’s valuable to the environment and parents struggling to pay their children’s school fees.

“Wecyclers comes two times a week to collect the sorted waste from the parents. This is to encourage parents who do not have space in their homes to be storing the waste.”

He concluded that the project, which started last year, was first introduced to Morit International School, Ajegunle. He added that more schools across the country were buying into it.

Elated by the commitment to the RecyclesPay Project, management of the Miss Earth Nigeria surprised the parent. Twenty students, whose parents showed active participation in the initiative were given scholarship by the organisation during the ‘Pick that plastic and stay in school’ held in the school.

The scholarship served as part payment of the school fees. The gathered recyclable of the parents will be used to complete the school fees for this term.

Maristella Okpala, Miss Earth Nigeria 2018 said Nigeria is a consuming nation and some people were not aware they could benefit from littered PET bottles, hence the need for thesensitisation.

Ibinabo Fiberesima, founder of Miss Earth Nigeria, who also donated waste bin to the school said if the environment is kept clean that it is the only way to live.

Mrs. Agnes Frances, one of the excited parents and beneficiary of the scholarship was full of joy for the surprise gift from the management of Miss Earth Nigeria. The 31 years old trader, whose child is in primary 1 said they have been struggling to pay school fee but the RecyclesPay Educational project is a good support.

Mrs. Mosurat Sulaimon, whose child is in nursery 1 said she participated in the project because of what she needed from it. She used her space at Boundary market, Ajegunle to heap the waste till collection time in the school.

The Recyclespay Educational programme is running presently at Morit International School, Ajegunle, Lagos and Road 12 Learning Center Ikota, Ilaje Ajah, Lagos.

It would also start next term at Monarch Base Private School, Alagbado, Lagos and some other schools.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/in-ajegunle-school-parents-pay-fees-with-waste-plastic-bottles/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
please I have like 4bin bags of plastic in my office I'm looking for people to come buy is occupying space here tho
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by kd11: 12:36pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:
The school used the bottles for Kunu and Zobo which it makes and gives the Children to hawk around sad

The kids are paying their fees with bottles and periodic hawking of Zobo and Kunu for the school
Taking a minute to read the post would have helped u.

1 Like

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Delight1385(f): 12:36pm On Apr 11, 2019
Dos yeye fulani wil nt copy dz oooo dy wil b waiting for government as said by dir oga at d top of Miyetti association
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by toffyz(m): 12:44pm On Apr 11, 2019
what a great idea and initiative...but with this, i swear plastic bottles go be like gold 4 that area.

1 Like

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Unconquerable: 12:45pm On Apr 11, 2019
Ajegunle: greatest ghetto in the world.
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by tiredoflife(m): 12:47pm On Apr 11, 2019
N25 per kilo that's eveil
So 10kilo na N250 naira
When dem wan hustle the N7500 finish
Blood of buhari shocked
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Tapout(m): 12:47pm On Apr 11, 2019
i don't support this cos 99% of those kids at the end will be the ones risking their lives in search of plastic bottles.
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by MisterGrace: 12:51pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:

Stop being an illiterate.

It is very important that you read and try to understand.
International communities are on here too.

3 Likes

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Popmaster2019(f): 12:51pm On Apr 11, 2019
Good idea
Environment awareness
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Sarah20A(f): 12:58pm On Apr 11, 2019
I think Nigeria churches should use this system to replace tithes and offerings undecided
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Beetobee(f): 12:59pm On Apr 11, 2019
Brilliant! Way to go!!!
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Quidquopro: 1:03pm On Apr 11, 2019
Piggyyeeassterners Akaka... grin
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by izic911: 1:04pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:

u b mumu period

1 Like

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by hidee20(m): 1:05pm On Apr 11, 2019
dvdwed:
This is good.
Meanwhile,

I need a loan facility of 1 million naira. Any genuine and reputable individual should reach me on dvdwede@gmail.com 08035322226. Thanks.

If I have that amount of money,I would choose to be an investor/business patner rather than loan the money out.
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Hades2016(m): 1:07pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:

sense will not kill you baba grin ..

1 Like

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Godmademan(m): 1:08pm On Apr 11, 2019
Brilliant!!!
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by chiedozie198100: 1:16pm On Apr 11, 2019
dvdwed:
This is good.
Meanwhile,

I need a loan facility of 1 million naira. Any genuine and reputable individual should reach me on dvdwede@gmail.com 08035322226. Thanks.

i love ur penchant for arrogance and pride in the way you beg.

u the borrower dont need to be genuine and reputable, it's the lender that should be. grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by frozen70(f): 1:17pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:

Stop it naw ❗
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by BlueAir: 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2019
Sellfish:

i ask myself. Whogave birth to people like you? Where do u grow up?

1 Like

Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Topestbilly(m): 1:21pm On Apr 11, 2019
Akwaibomdude:
is ajegunle in Nigeria ?
No ooo, na Canada.
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by win3k: 1:22pm On Apr 11, 2019
Only produce the number of children your income can accommodate - reduce poverty in Africa!
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by slimthugchimee2(m): 1:36pm On Apr 11, 2019
chiedozie198100:

i love ur penchant for arrogance and pride in the way you beg.

u the borrower dont need to be genuine and reputable, it's the lender that should be. grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Enemyofpeace: 1:47pm On Apr 11, 2019
tohyorsih2 pls don't register our sun in that school.
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by lindsay(f): 1:58pm On Apr 11, 2019
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Praisesongz: 2:20pm On Apr 11, 2019
princenaira:
What do you expect from Ajegunle?
wetin you mean?
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Sanemind(m): 2:31pm On Apr 11, 2019
Groovenaija360:
cry cry cry cry cry

HAPPENING NOW

GOVERNOR COMMITS SUICIDE IN EDO STATE, LEAVES A NOT FOR HIS FAMILY (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)

SEE THREAD HERE: https://www.nairaland.com/5128414/governor-commits-suicide-edo-state
make Oshiomhole catch u
Re: Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle by Johnjanrt: 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2019
Wow! seems like a welcome idea, but this is arrant nonsense first I think the parents are being victimized and exploited in the bargaining process, how earth would you pay 20-25# for a kilogram of pet bottles? Am very sure a whole bag of those pet bottles may hardly make up a kilo, as such will be required to bring thousands of bottles for possibly a thousand naira and be left with about six thousand naira to settle in three months. Secondly its major of distracting the pupils's attention because they'll have to go in search of pet bottles to take to school, for certainly the parents will not expected to go about refuse heaps and dumps looking for those bottles. If only the pay is good then toil and possible distraction would have been called for, but considering the victimisation and exploitation. It's indeed never a welcome idea, economic hardships is often the main reason behind things as this all people should learn not to take advantage of circumstances for personal and selfish ends.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Parents Protest At Lead British School Abuja, Threaten To Withdraw Children / Don Davis: Deeper Life School Principal, Others Remanded In Prison / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.