Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

Are There Yorubas In Nigeria That Don't Speak Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are There Yorubas In Nigeria That Don't Speak Yoruba? (555 Views)

Peter Obi Enjoying Massive Support From The Yorubas In Ogun State / Yorubas In England/abroad, Come Here / Yorubas In The House ( This One Is For You ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are There Yorubas In Nigeria That Don't Speak Yoruba? by TosinEzeh: 10:42pm On Apr 10, 2019
I have a cousin in Nigeria that doesn't speak Yoruba at all (I was born in Birmingham UK) and raised in the UK too so my Yoruba is limited (also my Father is Igbo).
But the little Yoruba I know is more than his.

Can I ask, is this normal

Re: Are There Yorubas In Nigeria That Don't Speak Yoruba? by staytravel: 11:08pm On Apr 10, 2019
TosinEzeh:
I have a cousin in Nigeria that doesn't speak Yoruba at all (I was born in Birmingham UK) and raised in the UK too so my Yoruba is limited (also my Father is Igbo).
But the little Yoruba I know is more than his.

Can I ask, is this normal

I think Yorubas are better at retaining their language compared to other tribes.
(Especially compared to the Igbos). But there are still many of them who don't learn the language.

Many Yorubas who speak Yoruba don't tend to care if you don't speak the language, they will still speak Yoruba around you.

But yea, they are trying within the diaspora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOZ4T79yObI

Maybe someone can give a better answer.

(1) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Reacts To Sheik Adio’s Claim He Wants To Sleep With His Wife / A Local Man Playing With Python And Nearly Got Bitten By It / Are Ghosts Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.