Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,767 members, 7,831,471 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

My Tenure Was Turbulent — Onovo ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Tenure Was Turbulent — Onovo ! (514 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Why I Still Head INEC After Expiration Of My Tenure — Zakari / My Tenure In Office Will End 29 May- Jonathan Promise That Has Many Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Tenure Was Turbulent — Onovo ! by wales(m): 7:53am On Sep 14, 2010
Former Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, on Monday, took stock of his tenure in office and described his administration as ‘the most turbulent’ in the history of Nigeria Police Force.

Onovo said he presided over a force that was “fighting crime almost bare-handed,” describing policing in the face of dire socio-political conditions, as obtained in the country, as a frustrating endeavour.

The former IG spoke during a formal handing over to his successor, Hafiz Ringim, at the Force Headquarters, Abuja.

He, however, said that he gave his task as the IG his best shot, saying history would decide his performance in office.

According to Onovo, his tenure began with the Boko Haram secrretarian crisis and ended with it.

The former, IG who was hailed by the rank and file officers, who came around to listen to him, said the police was faced with enormous challenges, particularly with the coming general elections and other factors aiding insecurity in the country.

He described the acting IG, Ringim, as a tested and seasoned officer “who has all it takes to to take the Force to greater heights.”

He called on all senior police officers to accord the new police boss the support they gave to him, noting that a day would come when the Force would regain its lost glory just as he called for understanding from Nigerians.

Onovo thanked the men that worked with him, including the Deputy Inspectors-General of Police, whom he described as generals in their own right.

Onovo, who was dressed in black suit and flower-patterned tie, begged for forgiveness from people he might have wronged in the course of duty, stressing that whatever he might have done to offend them was not intentional.

He highlighted the achievements of his administration to include the successful hosting of the Under-17 football tournament and the governorship elections in Anambra State which were hitch-free.

He said, “My administration was marked by turbulence and other challenges. I started with the Boko Haram crisis and ended with Boko Haram crisis, but I gave the job my best shot. I believe the police will one day regain its lost glory.

Today we have become the butt of all jokes and we are the whipping boy of every institution. But don’t relent, if your reward is not here, you will get it in heaven.”

Ringim thanked the outgone IG and his DIGs for the works they did, adding that Onovo had done his best and that anything that has a beginning must have an end.

He warned officers not to be partisan in the political process, noting that he was conversant with the problems of the police and would make changes when necessary.

Ringim pledged to chart a new course for the NPF and warned his men not to drag the name of the Force in the mud in the elections.

He said, “In the next few months, we would have election; officers with command responsibility should sit up. This administration will not allow police partisanship in electoral matters. Officers and those that have anything to do with election must be careful. They must be careful not to drag our name in the mud; we must give all participants a level playing ground.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100914324975

Re: My Tenure Was Turbulent — Onovo ! by wales(m): 7:54am On Sep 14, 2010
This wawa man is really a shameless man. so is now that you want to tell us you faught the crime in the country bare handed, and then using the guns and man power of the police to fight and collect toll at the check points you never wanted to disengaged. you are really a follishman. Look I am an Igbo man but anytime a listen to youe unreasonable excuses I feel ashame. Go and bury yourself in shame!

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Not Development Friendly By South-south Youth Leaders Forum / Pdp Presidential Candidate Emerges October 23 / Onlytruth Told Me Mr.obasanjo Was A Bad President Who Never Achieved Anything!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.