Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,378 members, 7,822,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? (14976 Views)

HELP: Is Changing From Mechanical Engineering To Computer Science A Good Idea? / International Certification Course Or A Professional Exam In Nigeria? / Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Mailyemo: 10:34am On Apr 30, 2007
Where will the computer scientist be in the next 10 years?
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by eko4show(m): 10:02pm On Apr 30, 2007
i studied computer science in the university, it was great. but if i know knew what i know now, ill have studied mathetimatics or engineering instead.

in the west, a mathematics graduate who is very fluent in C++ or java is of more value in the job market

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by fibre: 12:39am On May 01, 2007
am studyng comp sci in unilag and the prospects are great.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by markkelly(m): 3:35am On May 01, 2007
In the next 10 years computers scientist will be close to God because the world must have turned into a computers age, So dont regreat reading that course, And also if you are not good in the field and read it in th unversity for reading sake you will be very close to the devil LOL grin

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by asterix(m): 3:51am On May 01, 2007
@Mailyemo,

The best thing you can do for your selve now, is to study Computer science. The current wave in computing science revolves around IT auditing and Information security. These two fields are HOT in the market right now. I currently work for an IT Audit and information security company, and we're making loads of money, right here in Nigeria.

The good thing with computing science, is the dynamism. Nothing ever remains static.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by GNature(m): 3:56am On May 01, 2007
I thought IT auditing had something to do with accounting (and IT of course).
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by ide(m): 10:43am On May 01, 2007
hi

i totally agree with Markkelly;

if you are GREAT at programming or you truly love the science of computers [not just the use of it] then go in for computer science, keeping in mind that computer science is MATHEMATICS,

if the above is the case then the future is very bright for you.

however if its the otherway round, you are gonna hate the course,

so think hard and search yourself before going in for any course

all the best
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by smile007: 12:08pm On May 01, 2007
Well am studying IT and i dont knw much abt computer sci. But the world is going into computer nw , In years to come IT will be ruleing thw WORLD grin
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by donan(m): 12:23pm On May 01, 2007
Hey don't let any one tell you anything less because with your knowledge of computer science the sky will be your limit.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by donan(m): 12:32pm On May 01, 2007
In 10 years tym u will have unlimited opportunities cause around that tym many people wil know computers and that means more! more!! more!!! more!!!! more!!!!! opportunities. Just keep ur fingers crossed and wait.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by elainemia(f): 12:47pm On May 01, 2007
As a computer scientist, there's a lot waiting for you to explore.so go for it without taling one glance behind you ok.i'm almost one, just a couple of years left.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 01, 2007
If you study computer science, and understand all the concepts, you will find out that

1. You would have better understanding of problems you might face while programming.

2. You will be able to understand stuff you read better/faster i.e programming books, journals, etc .

3. In a branch of CS like software engineering, you would be able to integrate some of the tenets/principles into
your work, i.e requirements analysis and all, making you a software engineer worth his salt.

4. You would have an advantage over guys who just fell into the profession, without a strong academic foundation (provided u know it well o!)

so please go for it.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by mindworx: 1:00pm On May 01, 2007
The good thing you can do for yourself is to study computer science but the best thing you can do is to commit yourself into ICT, the Grassroot and the deep knowledge, specify in a particular area of interest, but make sure you know something about everything and everything about something. Studying Computer Science does not make you a programmer or a web designer but it is your passion and enthusiasm that matters. Try hard enough to pop out with a second class upper, though school teachings will not make you a programmer, but just commit yourself to programming and other ICT fields. If you do all all these, you will be like me grin, you'll start earning good bucks $$$ even right from school. The sky is the starting point. Cheers.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by eko4show(m): 1:03pm On May 01, 2007
i still insist that ill rather study mathematics or electrical engineering and have a postgraduate in software engineering/AI.

i studied computer science, no regrets and i worked in a bank in naija for 6 years , at the moment i work as project manager (systems) in the west and i can confidently tell you that most software laboratories, especially those that develop engineering/AI software would prefer a mathetimatician/engineer with a masters in Software Engineering/AI.

if you want to remain in naija, by all means go for computer science, otherwise a 2.1 or 1 physics, matehmatics or engineering is a passport to the world.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by LearnBook: 1:46pm On May 01, 2007
Agreed with eko4show. Focus on something generic like Mathematics (if you can), code on the side and you will have a lot of possibilities. The future belongs to smart people who can solve real problems regardless of what they study.

Who will be writing the next SMS banking application that will allow poor/rural people to open a bank account with 500 naira, transfer money via SMS, purchase via SMS etc.?

Who will be working on a biometric voting system that will prevent electoral fraud once and for all as no two people have the same biometric footprint (so the computer will just discard multiple votes by the same person)?

My half a cent.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by smile4kenn(m): 3:21pm On May 01, 2007
To study computer science you must be very good in mathematics and be able to convert real life events into programs. in the next 10 years, computers must have taken over the world and i must tell u that u will never regret taken this course. In somany countries there are minister of information technology and computer science, dont be discouraged because Nigeria dont have swuch ministers
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by ishmael(m): 7:58am On May 02, 2007
Computer science is good. But if you want to be more analytical as some one has said already go for MATHEMATICS/STATISTICS or PHYSICS or EE Engineering first, before doing a Masters in computers you will really enjoy it.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by Jackelony(m): 1:02pm On May 02, 2007
Mailyemo, they've said it all. Needless to reiterate that computer science is a wonderful course and second to none.
Besides, we've got the most organised student body-National Assciation of Computer Science Students (NACOSS). So come aboard if you haven't and have a cool ride to the top.

Pls everyone should note that NCS conference will be coming in June. Endeavor to attend and catch the flame of IT.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by spora(m): 2:52pm On May 02, 2007
Though I studied computer Sc., experience has shown that it is not necessary to study it at undergraduate level to have headway in it, especially in Niegria.

I will strongly advise courses like Maths, Physic, Engineering or even Econs/Account. The fact of the matter is, it doesnt worth the obsolete stuffs you are made to pass through in the University. You can gather all the hardware/software/networking knowledge you need during holidays registering in best schools in Lagos.

As it is done in Medicine/Law, specialization is the future of IT and unless you are well grounded in professional courses like Accounting, you might find it a little tough (without assistance) being the best programmer in financial solution, for example.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by dakmanzero(m): 3:13pm On May 02, 2007
Much of what you learn will not directly benefit you in the long run

However, many organizations are now wiser and will add a "comp sc. or maths" requirement to their job description- so its a definite leg-up on getting an IT related job.

Maths is also a good course to take. Beware though, your education will then be even more irrelevant. Your options will however be (a tad) broader.

However Maths is a more difficult course than comp sci, so tread carefully. It is also not for everyone- ie its not as simple as 'hard work equals results' in mathematics. Some people will fail regardless of all the hard work in the world. Not so for comp sci. With hard work you can get a good grade.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by rowlandwhy: 7:50pm On May 02, 2007
Hi All,
Thank you for the encouragement to study this course.
In Naija here, I am a level 100 student in RSUST. But the issue is that the mode of lectures we take is quite frustrating.
We study in a compacted and hot classroom without ventilation and most time lecturers are as faster than aeroplane while lecturing.
I am contemplating if i should study further or call for a change of course.
Secrets on how to study this course more successfully under Naija way will be appreciated.
Thanks for your response.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by mekoyo(m): 9:13am On May 03, 2007
They will be just where you want them to be. They are made for the future. As the world technological and IT knowledge increases so is the search for computer scientists.
Computer Science is a very good course only that in NIgeria our country we lack the technological know-how and we do not practicalize the study very well.
If you study computer science in Europe then you are a very important person in the society.
Computer science is very good and you can go ahead and study it.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by ishmael(m): 3:20pm On May 03, 2007
Computer science is good, but i think Mathematics being the father of Computer sciences is better.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by MrA1(m): 6:30pm On May 03, 2007
to me, I dont think there is clear demarcation between comp sci and maths, cos for u to something good in comp sci/programming, u must be able to understand maths
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by ishmael(m): 2:22pm On May 04, 2007
Yes, there is no much difference between computer science and Mathematics. If you must study mathematics you must be ready to know about computers and if you must study computer science you must be ready to do mathematics too.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by olagoke1(m): 3:04pm On May 04, 2007
greateeeeeeeeeeeeee nigeria student, am very gla to here this from this forum, enough gbosa for you all, though all the same to me, even matematics or computer science,
presently am a student of the great lasu, lagos state university, studing computer science, 300 level, thanks for your encouragement. greatest nigeria student oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by ishmael(m): 5:05pm On May 04, 2007
olagoke1:

greateeeeeeeeeeeeee nigeria student, am very gla to here this from this forum, enough gbosa for you all, though all the same to me, even matematics or computer science,
presently am a student of the great lasu, lagos state university, studing computer science, 300 level, thanks for your encouragement. greatest nigeria student oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You bin dey sleep dey type all these?? why didn't you bother to check the spellings?? pally remember you're in LASU, Computer science 300Levels. Haba!!!
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by papabaks(m): 10:16am On May 07, 2007
Computer science is the best of all courses, i tell you because, in 10, 15 years to come, the world will be dealing mostly with computer, which mean you dont have a computer you cant transact any bussiness, with that you will be send packing out the globall market. so i have no regreat of studying computer science in the great Yaba College of Technology, mind you now "CITY UNIVERSITY".

Wright now am a great man doing what i love to do " Desktop assistance"

For more info you can contact papabaks@gmail.com
or 08065057606.

THANKS 2 you all.
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by kcee2: 2:11pm On May 07, 2007
I thank all who contributed in one way or the other in assisting us to make a good
decision. in fact it has been a problem to me. i have been having many people who discourage me not to go in for that cause, but in me i so much like the cause cos i want to be computer literate. as for darkmansoro i so much like his impact, and to all. i'm looking forward to study it but is like i will do it this time around.

THANKS TO ALL THAT CONTRIBUTED cheesy wink cheesy wink
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by toksdara(m): 10:40pm On May 07, 2007
@ Everyone

Computer Engineering or Computer Science? What's the difference? Which is better and why? Are they both futuristic and relevant? What's the merit and demerit of each?

Thanks!
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by markkelly(m): 6:31am On May 26, 2007
sad
Re: Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not? by joobreel(m): 10:40am On May 26, 2007
Though I studied computer Sc., experience has shown that it is not necessary to study it at undergraduate level to have headway in it, especially in Niegria.

I will strongly advise courses like Maths, Physic, Engineering or even Econs/Account. The fact of the matter is, it doesnt worth the obsolete stuffs you are made to pass through in the University. You can gather all the hardware/software/networking knowledge you need during holidays registering in best schools in Lagos.

As it is done in Medicine/Law, specialization is the future of IT and unless you are well grounded in professional courses like Accounting, you might find it a little tough (without assistance) being the best programmer in financial solution, for example
i totally agree with spora. studying computer in school is almost waste of time. it would have been better if you had something like EEE, physics engineering or mathematics and run a PGD course in computer. cos in our nigeria now, you see people with certificates acquired in six months that is almost equivalent to what you used 4 yrs to acquire. both noregrets thou, the future is still very bright especially if you choose a particular aspect of computer maybe like programming, database etc and strive to be the best in that particular field. dont forget also these proffesional courses in town, they will do you a lot of good. allthe best

(1) (2) (Reply)

Contributory Pension Scheme In Nigeria. / What No One Is Telling You About Your Job / Diamond Bank Adopts New Workings Hours!--- 7pm Closing Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.