Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Experienced Cucumber Farmers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Experienced Cucumber Farmers (1113 Views)

Cucumber Farmers / Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here / Organic Fertilizer For Cucumber Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2019
Hello my respectable farmers,

please i need you all to put me through everything i need to kick off my cucumber farm. the land is cleared about 5Ha. though i intend planting 1 or two first to see how it goes. please i need your imputs.

God bless us all.
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by okoroemeka(m): 7:07pm On Apr 13, 2019
sallyopy:

please i need you all to put me through everything i need to kick off my cucumber farm. the land is cleared about 5Ha. though i intend planting 1 or two first to see how it goes. please i need your imputs.

God bless us all.
we have in stock original cu 999 cucumber seed,hausa green type cucumber seed from Cameroon (high yield) and also all agrochemicals you may need,WhatsApp 08119942049,meglee farms.
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 7:29pm On Apr 13, 2019
thank you for your response, what i need is ideas of what to do aND NOT to do in the process of farming. i will contact you when i need your service. thanks alot
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 7:30pm On Apr 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
we have in stock original cu 999 cucumber seed,hausa green type cucumber seed from Cameroon (high yield) and also all agrochemicals you may need,WhatsApp 08119942049,meglee farms.
thank you for your response, what i need is ideas of what to do aND NOT to do in the process of farming. i will contact you when i need your service. thanks alot
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by Ademat7(m): 7:38pm On Apr 13, 2019
*Cucumber is an intensive crop, someone must be on ground to monitor pest infestation.
*Lack of even watering of cucumbers at fruit production stage lead to bitter fruit, yes d fruit will be bitter
*Know where to sell to from d start bcoz cucumber can't wait while u search for buyers

Search for jephito thread on cucumber,i learnt from it while I was doing mine

1 Like

Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 9:15pm On Apr 13, 2019
Ademat7:
*Cucumber is an intensive crop, someone must be on ground to monitor pest infestation.
*Lack of even watering of cucumbers at fruit production stage lead to bitter fruit, yes d fruit will be bitter
*Know where to sell to from d start bcoz cucumber can't wait while u search for buyers

Search for jephito thread on cucumber,i learnt from it while I was doing mine
God bless you.
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by FMCASH(m): 11:29pm On Apr 13, 2019
Your startup capital will determine how many plot to do, use the remaining land for watermelon to avoid land wastage.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by Ademat7(m): 3:17am On Apr 14, 2019
sallyopy:
God bless you.
amen and you too
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 3:04pm On Apr 14, 2019
FMCASH:
Your startup capital will determine how many plot to do, use the remaining land for watermelon to avoid land wastage.
like how much do you think will be enough for 1Acr?
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by FMCASH(m): 4:03pm On Apr 14, 2019
sallyopy:
like how much do you think will be enough for 1Acr?
varies from location to location. Your first production will be average of 10week. I will advice you too do one plot first. Me self get burnt from my first production.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by Ademat7(m): 7:04pm On Apr 14, 2019
sallyopy:

God bless us all.
Where is your farm located?
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 9:24pm On Apr 14, 2019
ogun state
Ademat7:

Where is your farm located?
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by Ademat7(m): 5:47am On Apr 15, 2019
sallyopy:
ogun state
OK, pictures?
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by jjbest123(m): 5:44am On Apr 17, 2019
sallyopy:
Go through his profile and you will find all that information on a thread he created. He is your man for that! Goodluck in your endeavours sallyopy.
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 9:37am On Apr 17, 2019
jjbest123:
Go through his profile and you will find all that information on a thread he created. He is your man for that! Goodluck in your endeavours sallyopy.
oh, i will do just that, thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by Akposy(m): 12:01pm On Apr 17, 2019
sallyopy:

God bless us all.
Prepare your land. U may use pre-emergence herbicides to control weeds. Cucumber does well in sandy loam soil
Get the right variety for the market. Most Nigerian market prefer green, medium size cucumber
Do your soil analysis to know if your soil is alkaline or acidic.
Do the pH test (5.5 - 6.5)
Mulching. This will be of great help. It helps conserve soil moisture, it also help in weed control.
After 2 weeks of sowing, apply fertilizer. Some people use NPK 20:10:10 while some prefer Urea.
Staking. Stake your cucumber plants to avoid crawling thereby ensuring straighter fruits, uniform fruit colour and effective disease mangement.
Prune the first 4 fruits to ensure uniform growth
Prune side shoots to direct the flow of nutrients to the main vine.
Prune lower leaves when the lower fruits are matured.

Most importantly sow good quality seeds that are high yielding, resistant to certain diseases and has good shelf life.

I'd advice Mydas from Rijk Zwaan.
It is a slicer cucumber with an average length of 22cm.
It produces dark green fruits with longer shelf life and fantastic taste.
It is also parthenocarpic (it does not require agents of pollination).
It can be cultivated in both open field and green house.
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by FMCASH(m): 12:15pm On Apr 17, 2019
Akposy:

Prepare your land. U may use pre-emergence herbicides to control weeds. Cucumber does well in sandy loam soil
Get the right variety for the market. Most Nigerian market prefer green, medium size cucumber
Mulching. This will be of great help. It helps conserve soil moisture, it also help in weed control.
After 2 weeks of sowing, apply fertilizer. Some people use NPK 20:10:10 while some prefer Urea.
Staking. Stake your cucumber plants to avoid crawling thereby ensuring straighter fruits, uniform fruit colour and effective disease mangement.

Most importantly sow good quality seeds that are high yielding, resistant to certain diseases and has good shelf life.

Do contact me on 08028950546 for more info. I'm an agronomist trainee/technical sales rep. I can connect you to a certified agronomist.
Mydas seed is available too. Thanks

great, prune the first four fruit, can you explain better?

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by honifome(m): 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2019
Hi! I planted cucumber seeds (Kareem hybrids) 6 days ago but they are not sprouting, what could be the reason?
Re: Experienced Cucumber Farmers by sallyopy(f): 7:59am On Apr 18, 2019
God bless you bro, thanks alot.
Akposy:

Do contact me on 08028950546 for more info. I'm an agronomist trainee/technical sales rep. I can connect you to a certified agronomist.
Mydas seed is available too. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Orange Juice Making Machine / 8 Weeks Old Cockerel For Sale In Ilorin / ELECTRIC LAWN MOWER SALE AT MICOSTAR MALL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.