Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,312 members, 7,842,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help (947 Views)

Get Your 100ah Deep Cycle Battery @ 15k / Deep-sea Internet Could Send Tsunami Warnings To Smartphones / I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help by GeeCee(m): 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2010
Hi all. Pls i scanned my flash drive with AVG antivrus and it wiped off some infected folders. I seriously need those folders back as i don't have a backup and i can't recreate the files in dem. There are items in d vu=irus vault showing the folders but i can't open dem. Infact d indicated size of the files are just TOO small compared to the actual size of the folders.
PLS SOMEBODY HELP ME.
Re: I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help by abey40: 5:23pm On Sep 14, 2010
Use the search option from the start menu and u will get it back
Re: I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2010
The AVG Virus Vault is a hidden folder in C:\$AVG8.VAULT$

If you use Windows XP then Open my Computer-->Click on Tools--> Folder Options --> View Hidden Files and Folders then you will see the AVG Vault and you can open it and recover your files

If you use VISTA or Windows 7 then Open my Computer-->Click on Organize--> Folder and Search Options --> View Hidden Files and Folders then you will see the AVG Vault and you can open it and recover your files
Re: I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help by yemiakure: 12:52am On Sep 16, 2010
latest free browsing india web soso fast nd reliable
Re: I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help by muyiscoii: 4:44pm On Sep 18, 2010
The most common kind of virus to do this is d one that creates clones of your folders which are actually applications that launch the virus. These clones also link to the original file which the virus hides so that when you go and click on said clones, they open the folder you want and at the same time, launch the virus. further spreading its dominance on your system. The good news is that most of the time, when antivirus applications delete those clones, the main files are still there as evidenced by the disk space usage. however, the antivirus just deletes the virus clones but doesnt undo what they have done. In order words, your files are most likely still intact. Take that flash drive of yours to a windows computer that you are sure is not infected with virus. Open up the flash and then go to Tools > Folder Options on the menu bar. On one of the tabs, locate "Show hidden files and folders" and check it. Apply the changes and hopefully, your files should "magically" materialize.

If however, you are sure that your files have been deleted, there are ways to recover them. A more user friendly method is by using a program called "File scavenger" but i don't think it is free. you might be able to find a trial version for free online though. A more sophisticated, free and powerful albeit much more advanced and not very user friendly option is "testdisk" and "photorec". If you think you are up to them, check them out at http://www.cgsecurity.org.
Re: I Am In A Deep Sh.t, Pls Help by SpikesC1: 9:58pm On Sep 27, 2010
try this, go to your virus vault, click on all of the files that comes from that path and click on restore button.

(1) (Reply)

How Would U Rate your Laptop? / Post Your Computer Problems In Here And Get Solutions. / A New Way Of Browsing Free With Iwb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.