Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup (741 Views)

Menstrual Cup, An Alternative To Pads & Tampoons / Women's Reusable Medical-grade Silicone Menstrual Cup / Say Goodbye To Tampons, Pads...switch To Menstrual Cup. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 15, 2019
A menstrual cup is a small, flexible funnel-shaped cup made of nontoxic and reusable silicone. Menstrual cups are easy inserted into the vagina to collect blood until full which usually happens after nine hours.

Unlike tampons, panty-liners, and pads, menstrual cups do not contain toxic chemicals, bleach, or artificial fragrances that might trigger irritation or cause discomfort in your vagina.

Menstrual cups are eco-friendly and can hold more blood depending on your flow you can wear a cup up to 12 hours an alternative to tampons and pads.

Available brands of menstrual cups include the DivaCup, Keeper Cup, Moon Cup, Lunette Menstrual Cup, Moon Cup, Lily Cup, and Lena Cup. Disposable menstrual cup available in the market is the Instead Softcup.

1 Share

Re: Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 15, 2019
HOW MENSTRUAL CUP WORK

TO INSERT

1. Prior to insertion, thoroughly wash your hands with warm water using the mild, unscented soap.
2. Put the menstrual cup in boiling water for 5 minutes and then take out.
3. Fold into a U-shape
4. Gently insert the menstrual cup into the vagina.
5. Rotate the cup to ensure it is fully open and securely in the vagina.

Note: the bottom of the cup should be levelled with the vulvar lips. It is normal to have foreign body sensation for the first time; this sensation will disappear after 1-2 days of using.

TO REMOVE

1. Crouch down.
2. While holding the cup, push it in slightly to allow some air to enter and pull out the cup.
3. Hold the bottom of the cup while releasing to prevent any spilling.
4. Discard the contents and wash your hands and the cup.
5. Soak the menstrual cup into the hot water and dry it before returning it to the carrying pouch.

Re: Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 15, 2019
HOSTEL CLEANER STOLE 15 BOARDING HOUSE FEMALE STUDENT MENSTRUAL PAD FOR RITUAL!

A cleaner was caught with fifteen female menstrual pads in a boarding school at Abeokuta. She confesses selling to Mallam who boils it in water and drank as a tea for ritual purpose.

This type of news is now rampant in our society today; I went to visit a female gynaecologist colleague at UCH Ibadan on Tuesday and while we were discussing this bizarre. Dr Yomi introduced me to this product, she called it a menstrual cup and that she has been using it for three years now even before she got married as a virgin in December 2018. I was excited about this menstrual cup that I google more about it… I discovered that it is healthy for me and eco-friendly, this product is nontoxic and it's reusable up to 10years.

Menstrual cups are easy inserted into the vagina to collect blood until full which usually happens after nine hours unlike tampons, panty-liners, and pads, menstrual cups do not contain toxic chemicals, bleach, or artificial fragrances that might trigger irritation or cause discomfort in your vagina.

Oh ho, that is how she gave me the spare one she has. Till today, I never regretted using this product no itching, no vaginal dryness, no leakage, I can carry our everyday activities including going to the gym without thinking of it shifting like the menstrual pad, and I don’t worry about how to dispose of my menstrual pad.

I LOVE MY MENSTRUAL CUP

Get Your Menstrual Cup for a Wonderful Menstrual Experience. It cost #2000. To order, send SMS or WhatsApp containing Menstrual cup followed by your Name, Address, Age and Phone number to 07069699937.

Re: Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 16, 2019
FAD ABOUT MENSTRUAL CUPS

1. How do I know which size I am?

Each brand has its own recommendation according to your age and if you had childbirth or not. If for example, they recommend the smaller size before 30 and the bigger after 30 and you are 28, you are probably better off using the bigger size. There are only a few millimetres difference between the two models, but it is important to use the recommended sizing to prevent leakage. As we age, our hips naturally widen and the vaginal muscles lose elasticity. Because the vaginal muscles hold the cup in place, it is important to use a bigger size, even if you have not had childbirth. Of course this a general guideline, we are all unique and it’s up to you to try what you think is adequate to your body.

2. The cap looks big. Does it hurt to insert or remove it?

If you do it correctly and carefully, it shouldn’t. Virgins may have some discomfort at first, but unless there is a medical condition, the discomfort should go away. The vagina is a flexible muscle; it can expand during sexual activity, or to fit a baby’s head. Then it shrinks back down again. An average woman or girl’s body should be able to accommodate a cup just fine, with some practice.

3. Can the cup get lost inside of me?

The menstrual cup is designed to catch your menstrual flow rather than absorb it. Its bell shape allows the cup to fit snuggly and comfortably up against your vaginal walls below but not touching your cervix. The rim is designed to help create a suction that keeps the cup in place and collects your menstrual flow inside of it. The small holes around the rim are to help release the suction when you remove the cup.

4. How does the cup stay in place?

The cup is held firmly in place by the muscular walls and closed-end of the vagina. It also stays in via a light suction that is formed up inside. Those little holes around the rim of your cup are there to help break the seal.

5. Will using the cup affect the tightness of my VG?

Physically, the cup is suitable for women of all ages as the vagina is made up of very flexible tissue and muscles. Women’s bodies are designed this way to be able to deliver a baby. After being expanded through intercourse or childbirth, the tissue returns back to its normal size.

6. Can a virgin use a menstrual cup?

Physically, there is no reason why a virgin cannot use a cup. However, some cultures or religions have certain beliefs about internal menstrual products, or they hymen (a menstrual cup can alter the hymen). This will need to be taken into consideration, if it’s not an issue for you, your family and/or your culture– then yes, a virgin can use a cup.

7. How do I store menstrual cup after use?

Store menstrual a cup in a clean, dry cloth pouch, and away from extreme heat, cold, or sunlight. Never store your cup in a plastic bag, or an air-tight container, as this can cause mould to grow on the cup.
Re: Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 23, 2019
ECONOMIC, ENVIRONMENTAL AND MEDICAL IMPORTANCE OF MENSTRUAL CUP

ECONOMIC BENEFIT

Reusable menstrual cups are more economical than disposable products. The money will be saved using a menstrual cup, compared with other options such as tampons. A woman in Nigeria spends an average of #9600 per year on pads and tampons; If a woman menstruates for 40 years, the lifetime expense for pads and tampons is #314,000. If the average silicon menstrual cup lasts between one and five years, then between eight (cool and forty (40) would be needed in 40 years. If a menstrual cup costs #2000 (costs vary by manufacturer), the lifetime cost for a menstrual cup would be between #16000 and #80000.

The up-front cost of a menstrual cup may be expensive for women from low-income households. Buying pads or using rags monthly may seem more affordable than purchasing a menstrual cup, though the lifetime spend is higher.

ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFIT

Each year, an estimated 20 billion pads and tampons end up in landfills or are incinerated, which can have a great impact on the environment. Most of the pads and tampons are made of cotton and plastic. Plastic takes about 50 or more years and cotton starts degrading after 90 days if it's composted.

Given that the menstrual cup is reusable, its use greatly decreases the amount of waste generated from menstrual cycles, as there is no daily waste and the amount of discarded packaging decreases as well. After their life span is over, the silicone cups are put in landfills or incinerated.

Menstrual cups may be emptied into a small hole in the soil or in compost piles since the menstrual fluid is a valuable fertilizer for plants and any pathogens of sexually transmitted diseases will quickly be destroyed by soil microbes. The water used to rinse the cups can be disposed of in the same way. This reduces the amount of wastewater that needs to be treated.

HEALTH BENEFIT

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a potentially fatal bacterial illness. TSS caused by menstrual cup use appears to be very rare to virtually nonexistent. The probable reason for this is that menstrual cups are not absorbent, do not irritate the vaginal mucosal tissue, and so do not change the vaginal flora in any measurable amount.

Conversely, vaginal dryness and abrasions may occur if the tampon used is more absorbent than needed for the menstrual flow, and normal liquid that should line the vaginal wall is also absorbed.

Research has shown that the cup has no impact on the vaginal flora, which means there is no effect on the presence of S. aureus, the bacterium that can cause TSS. The risk of TSS associated with cervical caps used for contraception in the female barrier method is also very low. Cervical caps and menstrual cups both use mostly medical grade silicone or latex.

Re: Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 8:29am On May 31, 2019
WHAT CAN CAUSE A MISSED PERIOD

Having a regular period means that you menstruate during every menstrual cycle. Missing a period is very likely a sign that you are pregnant.

You may miss a period for one or two months, or you may experience complete amenorrhea, which is a lack of menstruation for three or more months in a row.

Anovulation means that you do not ovulate (your ovaries do not release an egg) during your menstrual cycle.

Therefore, when you miss a period, you may be pregnant, A home pregnancy test or a gynaecologist can confirm or deny those doubts.

If NOT pregnant, the most frequent reasons for a missed period could be other medical reasons and lifestyle factors.

Here are common reasons your period may be delayed:

Polycystic ovarian syndrome, thyroid disorder, stress, anxiety, weight problems, hormonal irregularities, the long-term use of hormonal birth control, breastfeeding, medication, benign pituitary tumours, excessive exercise and pre-menopause.

Re: Menstruation 101 Lecture: How To Use A Menstrual Cup by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 07, 2019
Happy Cup is a clever little thing, and it can adapt to your lifestyle, give you freedom, comfort and plenty of confidence.

Using Happy Cup means you can exercise freely and socialize every day of the month. It is reliable, economical and healthy – everything you need for a balanced life.

 24 HOURS WORRY-FREE PROTECTION AGAINST LEAKS AND SHOWING

 SUPER SOFT AND COMFORTABLE

 WON'T CAUSE DRYNESS OR IRRITATION

 TRAVEL WITH EASE

 ECO-FRIENDLY

 EASY INSERT

 REUSABLE

WhatsApp 07051330599 https:///2347051330599 for more information.

(1) (Reply)

Skin Tag / Salaries Of Pharmacists, Nurses And Other Medical Professionals In Nigeria / Breaking!!! Panic As New Virus Kills One, Leaves Others In Critical Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.