Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,474 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge (28504 Views)

Works Minister, Umahi Makes Night-Time visit To Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos / Video: Obasanjo Shows Dancing Steps At Son's Wedding / Gov. Yahaya Bello Of Kogi State Shows Dancing Skills At APC Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Denikayan: 5:32pm On Apr 17, 2019
mikeeze:
Tragedy about to happen.

How did we get to these level Nigerians?

If it would bring a revevolution, make e kuku colapse

Stop exposing your illiteracy

1 Like

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by enolife2(m): 5:34pm On Apr 17, 2019
that link allow the bridge to expansion during day when the weather is hot. it also help the bridge to transmits load evenly to the bridge pillars. the person who video the link should have consulted an engineer before coming to put Nigerian fear

2 Likes

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by LordTrezy(m): 5:36pm On Apr 17, 2019
ionsman:
Linear thermal expansivity.
someone with working brain, most of the posters before you are stack illiterates, they didn't know that was a delibrate allowances for linear expansivity as the metals tends to expand in hot weather thereby creating a space to avoid cracking the relax in the cold waether. Bravo my G

4 Likes

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:37pm On Apr 17, 2019
Let the bridge dance na. Why una wan disturb am. Bridge cannot dance in peace again sad
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Fidelmak(m): 5:38pm On Apr 17, 2019
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen . Jamb result postponement: "I am maniacally bewildered, overwhelmed and flabbergasted at the paraplegic crinkum crankum that has characterised the latest news about non-immediate-releasing of jamb result culminating in an odoriferous saga cum gargantuan gaga! The jiggery pokery of homo sapiens flaunting their incompetence as JAMB officials, instead of achievements stemming from months of preparation and years of hard work, is a veritable bugaboo that must be pooh-poohed by all compos mentis homo sapiens! I said to my self: What an anathematous disdain of the citizenry! What a deprecable descent from the sublime to the ridiculous! Who will curb the odoriferous excesses of this machavellian and mephistophelean cabals in the country? With this state of affairs, I dare say that the future of our dear nation is swimming in a pestilential aqua with a disastrious terminus ad quem inherently laden with avoidable cataracts, icebergs and oxbow lakes. It is sardonic and lugubrious and SHOULD STOP!!!!

1 Like

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Blackicegold(m): 5:42pm On Apr 17, 2019
[quote author=LaIabobo post=77625192]Watch as Ignorant folks gon flood everywhere.
Smh.

Expansion joints are components of long bridges designed to accommodate movement, shrinkage, and temperature variation expansion.

That bridge is fine!!!

God bless you bros. When u tell pple to read wide they won’t hear. See the outcome now . Even person papa dai hear dai shout disaster. angry
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by BYallthentic: 5:42pm On Apr 17, 2019
Let no man deceive! that bridge needs attention ASAP!!
What we saw has nothing to do with linear expansivity
The vibration we saw in that video is above permissible limits.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Oddsman(m): 5:44pm On Apr 17, 2019
Few engineers on the frontpage here grin
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by otswag(m): 5:50pm On Apr 17, 2019
Its called an expansion joint.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by greatermeme: 5:52pm On Apr 17, 2019
chloride6:
I think the video exaggerates the situation.

The links arent supposed to be fixed..

If they wanted them fixed they would have welded them shut..

You can also observe the coupling pattern..

Something about buckling and temperature expansion.
what are you even saying? No fixed opinion! Just wandering from point to point!
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by otswag(m): 5:54pm On Apr 17, 2019
With my small knowledge of bridge constructions, i understand there are usually expansion joints put in place to help absorb expansion and contraction of the bridge during temperature variations and also to absorb vibrations as vehicles move across. In other words, that joint is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Any long bridge without this kind of joint is a disaster waiting to happen.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by homealone00: 5:56pm On Apr 17, 2019
mikeeze:
Tragedy about to happen.
Idiot must you always talk?

1 Like

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Reeses: 6:01pm On Apr 17, 2019
If you drive on that bridge everyday make sure you have your Will written now...
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Cadec007(m): 6:05pm On Apr 17, 2019
mikeeze:
Tragedy about to happen.

i agree, if those politicians children or grandchildren pass through
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by kfrosh: 6:05pm On Apr 17, 2019
Man wey sabi, you must be a good physics student that year. Same thing I told my babe when she escalated the video when she saw it.
chloride6:

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Gforce2019: 6:06pm On Apr 17, 2019
jaxxy:
Does he know anything about bridge construction? If not he shud let a professional give informed advice. However he did well to bring up the concern.

Even you wey you dey type crap. Your English composition or coherency get kwashokior

1 Like

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by streetsoldier1(m): 6:07pm On Apr 17, 2019
This op no go school ooo, that link is normal to give room for linear expansion.... You should seek to know before raising wrong alarm
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by kfrosh: 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2019
C'mon Man, at the time the video was shot, do you have an idea how many cars where moving at that instant of time, huge vibrations would be expected. Yeah sure, it needs some basic maintenance of sort.
BYallthentic:
Let no man deceive! that bridge needs attention ASAP!!
What we saw has nothing to do with linear expansivity
The vibration we saw in that video is above permissible limits.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by busomma: 6:10pm On Apr 17, 2019
chloride6:

Nothing is wrong with the bridge. It's called thermal expansion. Bridges all over the world are built like that.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by jaxxy(m): 6:14pm On Apr 17, 2019
Gforce2019:

Even you wey you dey type crap. Your English composition or coherency get kwashokior

And u think u just typed normal English?

1 Like

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by hakyma(m): 6:14pm On Apr 17, 2019
Since these years, it is a shame that the government of Nigeria has failed to build a new bridge that can serve the same purpose as the third mainland bridge knowing fully well the importance of the bridge.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 17, 2019
LaIabobo:
Watch as Ignorant folks gon flood everywhere.
Smh.

Expansion joints are components of long bridges designed to accommodate movement, shrinkage, and temperature variation expansion.

That bridge is fine!!!

Sabi jare. People whey no do alpha/beta come here de yarn opata.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by tmcleo2k2(m): 6:23pm On Apr 17, 2019
God bless you. What you just described is called an "Expansion Joint"...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_joint

chloride6:

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by thisnaijaguy: 6:26pm On Apr 17, 2019
The link is serving its function. Na civil engineers go fit confirm shaa. But i know joints are to handle expansions.

Maybe this might be normal
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by lloyds(m): 6:28pm On Apr 17, 2019
streetsoldier1:
This op no go school ooo, that link is normal to give room for linear expansion.... You should seek to know before raising wrong alarm

Let's learn to use kind words. . I went to school and i tell you am hearing those technical terms for the 1st time. Everyone is not a scientist. Biko.

1 Like

Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by pyrex23(m): 6:30pm On Apr 17, 2019
Una no do linear expansion 4 secondary school?
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Amalekki: 7:02pm On Apr 17, 2019
Go school! Go school! They won't listen.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Bluebolt: 7:05pm On Apr 17, 2019
pyrex23:
Una no do linear expansion 4 secondary school?

Please let those in doubt always endeavour to travel across the bridge in their life jackets now in fact they may contact me if they don't have one!

They may even go and start a swimming class!
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Berankis: 7:10pm On Apr 17, 2019
I witnessed this 1st hand and I can say that I was gripped with fear! Two weeks ago, it happened that my car suddenly overheated on the bridge during this early morning heavy traffic around 7am. I came down to open the bonnet to assess what was going on but to my greatest fear the bridge was vibrating dangerously. Please, this calls for a big ALARM!!! That bridge needs serious attention. Even though, I don't work on the Island but my occasional trips there now is worrisome.
EXCEPT IF THIS IS THE WAY ALL BRIDGES SHAKE. BUT MY NORMAL INSTINCTS SAYS THERE IS DANGER! SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT.
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Elvis778(m): 7:12pm On Apr 17, 2019
LaIabobo:
Watch as Ignorant folks gon flood everywhere.
Smh.

That bridge is fine!!!

Make una no panic.

Don't mind them, some has never heard of Linear, Area and Volume expansivity with it's applications,
if u say go school, dem go tell you say school na SCAM.........
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by borie4u(m): 7:14pm On Apr 17, 2019
This is normally accommodation for bridges and rail to prevent buckling effect. Ordinary ss1 physics una no go do. Mtcheew. Nonsense and etinosa
Re: Video Shows 'Dancing' Link On Third Mainland Bridge by Berankis: 7:15pm On Apr 17, 2019
chloride6:

There is nothing like exaggeration here please, if you happen to step on that bridge, I am sure your opinion will be different. I have experienced it, the bridge vibrates awkwardly. It is very scary!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example / Omobolanle Sarumi Ashabi Aliyu, Oyo First Female Governorship Candidate / 2 Million Pounds ‘Stolen’ By Jeremiah Useni Seized In Jersey - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.