Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) (27549 Views)

Senate Passes Police Reform Bill After A Thorough Debate / Saraki Hosts IGP, Mohammed Adamu, Over Police Reform Bill (Photos) / Senate Passes Business Reform Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Nobody: 5:46am On Apr 18, 2019
What clause protects motorists from extortion?
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by contigiency(m): 5:50am On Apr 18, 2019
Where is provision for the establishment of state police. I have heard Saraki and other national assembly members shout about it.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by exlink10(m): 5:53am On Apr 18, 2019
After reading this nonsense reform highlight (the main objective of the police reform bill passed) I now understand that Nigeria and all the senators combined is a shithole.

Can u imagine this people?

Is it that Nigeria or it's senators have lost touch of the realities of life or that of Nigeria? Every stupi.d line on this reform bill is to protect the police and nothing to protect the citizens. What is all this nonsense bikonu?

In a country were police can arrest anybody with a warrant, search your house, store, bag and even your laptop and phone without so much as a warrant or even tell you the reason, all this waste of money senators can come up with or even ascend to is this kind of Bill?

I don't even want to go in to extra judicial killing, the reckless shooting on unarmed citizens that the police is evidently know for, this people is still passing bills to make the citizens more numb in the presence of the police. This is brutal by the government upon its citizens and this is how a government that have the interest of democracy at heart operates.

Make my words, these so called SARS and other police special or non-special forces will be more brutal that ever now. The government is the problems of this country. I am appalled.

So now I will have to watch a police officer or SARS assault me without so much as putting up a resistance in order not to go to jail for 6months or pay a fine of 100k. You people (govt. And senators) should be ashamed for yourself.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by contigiency(m): 5:57am On Apr 18, 2019
By the time buhari rejects this trash some online lawyers will start shouting not knowing that he is actually helping us.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by capitalzero: 6:05am On Apr 18, 2019
buhari should reject this bill
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by loomer: 6:18am On Apr 18, 2019
The thing I see there na civilian reform. When police commit, una go just slap them for wrist abi
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Otsam(m): 6:33am On Apr 18, 2019
Bimpeusman:
On Wednesday, the senate passed a bill seeking to reform the Nigeria police force.

Here are highlights of the police reform bill:

Clause 4 (c) says the president shall appoint the inspector-general of police from the recommended applicants subject to the confirmation of senate.

Clause 6 (a) says the president shall remove the inspector-general from office for his inability to effectively perform the functions of his office. (b) for gross misconduct. (c) where the president is satisfied that is in no longer in the interest of the police force or public for inspector-general to continue in office.

Clause 23 provides for the establishment of a police fund.

Clause 96 provides that anyone who assaults a police officer, obstructs or resists a police officer is liable to a fine of N100,000 or six months imprisonment.

Clause 98 prohibits the taking of liquor or intoxicating substance while on duty. Punishment prescribed for such offence is a fine of N20,000 or three months imprisonment.

Clause 99 prohibits the impersonation of police officers. Punishment prescribed for such offence under this clause is a fine of N300,000 or three years imprisonment or both.

Clause 100 prohibits the entry of the police force with forged certificate. Punishment prescribed for the offence is a fine of N500,000 or three months imprisonment.

Clause 103 provides for the establishment of community police forum.

https://www.everyvibes.com.ng/2019/04/highlights-of-police-reform-bill-6-months-imprisonment-for-assault-on-officer.html

So sad!!
The reform bill clearly leaves high chances of reckless behavior and killings by the police. Assault on a police officer attracts 100k or six months behind bars, what of assault by police on civilians?? So you also telling me that just 20k fine for a man with riffle taking liquor that will in turn make him release bullets and call it “stray “, you can see clearly that they are not planning to curb drinking on duty at all and that accounts most for their useless killings.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by yommygift15: 6:34am On Apr 18, 2019
still expecting anything good from Stupid BUKOLA SARAKI led 8th senate, awon omo ofo jatijati
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by omenkaLives(m): 6:38am On Apr 18, 2019
alexistaiwo:
What is the punishment for taking bribe and extra judicial killings?
Those were the things I was looking out for, a Las, I found no reference to them!!

Where then is the reform I ask? angry
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by DamolaIbrahim: 6:38am On Apr 18, 2019
These lawmakers are idiots. None addressed the issue of extrajudicial killings of unarmed civilians. Buhari should not sign the hopeless bill, there is nothing 'reformed' about it.

Hopeless Saraki and his fellow idiots.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by omenkaLives(m): 6:39am On Apr 18, 2019
Humility017:

you see those senators and reps members are the greatest problem we have in these country. they have lost touch with reality.
what's the essence of this reform...?
when everyday Nigerians are getting killed by the police men
The bill is a complete RUBBISH!
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Stephench: 6:47am On Apr 18, 2019
Still didn't address the issue at hand

Meanwhile

Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by SilasNwude: 6:47am On Apr 18, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:
The bill is a complete RUBBISH!
[/s]
claptrap
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by SilasNwude: 6:48am On Apr 18, 2019
[s]
omenkaLives:
Those were the things I was looking out for, a Las, I found no reference to them!!

Where then is the reform I ask? angry
[/s]
you don't know anything
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 18, 2019
Kanu said you see them take time to make a law take your time and review it you will see its totally BUNCOMBE but they are law makers....they get paid making such law.... A LAW A PRIMARY 3 PUPIL CAN JUST SCRIPT OUT IN FEW MINUTES.... THE LOOK THE OTHER WAY ON IMPORTANT MATTERS AND ACT BUSY AND WORKING ON NON IMPORTANT ISSUES. AND SOME PEOPLE ARE SEEING THIS STUPID LAW AS NIGERIA PROGRESS
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by musbay11(m): 8:19am On Apr 18, 2019
I reserve my comment till after I read d details if d bill. but ds highlights s a joke.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by izeksblog: 8:48am On Apr 18, 2019
Pile of thieves
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by omokab: 9:24am On Apr 18, 2019
davillian:
Thunder fire una there
(1) any police who assaults or tuture a civilian should pay 500 k or face 1year imprisonment
2) any police who kills an unarmed civilian for any reason his pension should go to the victims family before he faces firing sqard and the video played to his colleagues.
3) any police who arrest or searches a civilians phone without a warrant 300k fine or 6month imprisonment.
4) any police who takes bribes or demand bribe would be demoted and will never get promoted till retirement
5) we would run drug test on all Nigerian police soon and anyone of them who has consumed or used any hard drugs should retire peacefully or would be dismissed without a penny.
6) the citizens have the right to video any police man on duty when ever they misbehave in public.
you have said a lot but the issue on police are more than this. What about road check. Any one find on road block shall be liable to a fine of 100k or two month imprisonment. The senators know what to do but they will not do it. I just pray Bari will not sign this useless bill that does not cater for masses.
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Seanjay(m): 11:50am On Apr 18, 2019
davillian:
Thunder fire una there
(1) any police who assaults or tuture a civilian should pay 500 k or face 1year imprisonment
2) any police who kills an unarmed civilian for any reason his pension should go to the victims family before he faces firing sqard and the video played to his colleagues.
3) any police who arrest or searches a civilians phone without a warrant 300k fine or 6month imprisonment.
4) any police who takes bribes or demand bribe would be demoted and will never get promoted till retirement
5) we would run drug test on all Nigerian police soon and anyone of them who has consumed or used any hard drugs should retire peacefully or would be dismissed without a penny.
6) the citizens have the right to video any police man on duty when ever they misbehave in public.

God bless you bro for this your contributions, it obvious those stupid senate don’t give a flying F about the poor and the voiceless in Nigeria so far their kids can not be assault by npf, crazy blood suckers, Spit

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Evince(m): 1:40pm On Apr 18, 2019
it is there sir but ot stated in language u understand. pls read again
emmymdk:
Laughable...
and for a Police Officer who assaults a civilian?
Re: Highlights Of The Nigeria Police Reform Bill (See Details) by Evince(m): 1:41pm On Apr 18, 2019
it is there sir please read again. they must not state same thing in ur level of english, and they must not state it one by one.
Humility017:
this men are jokers....none of these addressed the prevalent issue of extra-judicial killings and abuse of weapons currently bedevilling the country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How States Stand In Minimum Wage Talks / 2023: Ganduje Refuses To Endorse Amaechi / Keyamo Replies Ben Murray-Bruce: We Cant Forget PDP 16 Year Misrule In 5 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.