Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,659 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

How Europeans Settled In Australia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Europeans Settled In Australia (659 Views)

How Europeans Celebrate The African Kings Who Ruled Them (7th To 15th Century) / Ukrainian War: Time To Call Europeans To Order / Over 350 Pilot Whales Dead In Australia's Worst Stranding In History (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Europeans Settled In Australia by ElectorAlexande: 2:36am On Apr 20, 2019
For Aborigines, they got there through migration over land bridges several thousands of years past. At least that’s the general hypothesis. So they found it by walking till there wasn’t ground any longer, the land bridges disappeared, then they would settle there and start inhabiting, and they did this for 40,000 years prior to white man.

For Europeans, basically by accident.
It was generally believed that long before land was actually sighted, that there might be some sort of continental mass well south of Asia.
There was no specific mission set aside, as had been the case with North America. The first European to sight the Australian continent was Netherlander Willem Janszoon in 1606, along the coast of Cape York Peninsula. The Dutch mapped the northern outline, referring to the continent as “New Holland,” but did not settle there. Dirk Hartog, another Dutchman, made landfall in 1616 in Western Australia (on an island now named after him) but found little of value, and continued on to Batavia (Jakarta), Indonesia.

Continue reading @https://www.historicalville.com/2019/04/how-europeans-settled-in-australia.html?m=1

2 Shares

Re: How Europeans Settled In Australia by shugabasbn: 3:31am On Apr 20, 2019
And the European and Americans came to kill the aborigines n took away their properties

4 Likes

Re: How Europeans Settled In Australia by EdiAbali: 3:52am On Apr 20, 2019
shugabasbn:
And the European and Americans came to kill the aborigines n took away their properties

The same way they will kill us some day and take over our land and everything if we don't wake up

2 Likes

Re: How Europeans Settled In Australia by mysticwarrior(m): 2:27pm On Apr 20, 2019
EdiAbali:

The same way they will kill us some day and take over our land and everything if we don't wake up
and can I ask how and why would they kill us someday?
Re: How Europeans Settled In Australia by EdiAbali: 3:44pm On Apr 20, 2019
mysticwarrior:
and can I ask how and why would they kill us someday?

Like they did to New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, some South African countries.

Because we're not serious as humans, we're backward in many things
Re: How Europeans Settled In Australia by mysticwarrior(m): 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2019
EdiAbali:

Like they did to New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, some South African countries.

Because we're not serious as humans, we're backward in many things
the indigenous people of those countries you mentioned were too WEAK to resist total subjugation, that is why there were slaughtered like chickens and forced to isolated places. The Indians of America were forced to Arizona, the black south Africans were forced to Soweto, same also happen in Australia.
Re: How Europeans Settled In Australia by panafrican(m): 5:26pm On Apr 20, 2019
mysticwarrior:
the indigenous people of those countries you mentioned were too WEAK to resist total subjugation, that is why there were slaughtered like chickens and forced to isolated places. The Indians of America were forced to Arizona, the black south Africans were forced to Soweto, same also happen in Australia.

" La loi du plus fort est toujours la meilleure"
Meaning The Law written by the strongest is always the best
or
The reason of those best able to have their way is always the best
Put other way : innocence is not a shield
( French Poetry).

Reading:

The Wolf and the Lamb, By Jean de La Fontaine
Translation by Eli Siegel

The reason of those best able to have their way is always the best:
We now show how this is true.

A lamb was quenching its thirst
In the water of a pure stream.
A fasting wolf came by, looking for something;
He was attracted by hunger to this place.
—What makes you so bold as to meddle with my drinking?
Said this animal, very angry.
You will be punished for your boldness.
—Sir, answered the lamb, let Your Majesty
Not put himself into a rage;
But rather, let him consider
That I am taking a drink of water
In the stream
More than twenty steps below him;
And that, consequently, in no way,
Am I troubling his supply.
—You do trouble it, answered the cruel beast.
And I know you said bad things of me last year.
—How could I do that when I wasn't born,
Answered the lamb; I am still at my mother's breast.
—If it wasn't you, then it was your brother.
—I haven't a brother.—It was then someone close to you;
For you have no sympathy for me,
You, your shepherds and your dogs.
I have been told of this.I have to make things even.
Saying this, into the woods
The wolf carries the lamb, and then eats him
Without any other why or wherefore.
https://aestheticrealism.net/poetry/Wolf-Lamb-LaFontaine.htm

(1) (Reply)

Biden Security Tightened / Hamas Has Fired 3,150 Rockets From Gaza So Far: Israeli Army / UN Hypocrisy: Israel The Only Member State Without Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.