Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

What Is A God? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is A God? (5523 Views)

What Makes God A God? / "I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola / Could You Give Me One Piece Of Significant Evidence Of A God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is A God? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 05, 2012
"God would be that mind which is beyond our reality and beyond our mind and is as such considered the ultimate mind responsible for all things"
DeepestSight

This quote literally blew my mind and my mind is rarely blown. But seeing how God is the Ultimate Mind responsible for all minds, I must admit that when I analyzed this definition in my mind, it made perfect sense......or maybe God only in exists in my mind.
Maybe I'm just losing my mind, anyway never mind......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is A God? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 05, 2012
god is that part of your brain that tells you what you think god is.

1 Like

Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 12:00pm On Oct 20, 2014
Is God a god?
Re: What Is A God? by jayriginal: 2:22pm On Oct 21, 2014
PastorAIO:
Is God a god?

Apparently.
Re: What Is A God? by Kay17: 9:12am On Oct 23, 2014
deepsight: "God would be that mind which is beyond our reality and beyond our mind and is as such considered the ultimate mind responsible for all things"

There is an epistemological problem in asserting the existence of a mind beyond our reality, comprehension, perception which compromises any knowledge of such a mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 8:02pm On Oct 23, 2014
plaetton:

That leaves God as nothing but a figment of our limited imaginations.

To make it a product of any sort from our imaginations is to give too much credit to his postulation. Such a 'God' is UNimaginable even. He is merely assigning a term to the unknown and unknowable. However we don't even know how much unimaginable and unknowable stuff is out there. Is it all God? Or is God only a part of what is unimaginable and unknowable? What else can be found beyond our reality and beyond our minds?

A big epistemological problem indeed, Kay17.
Re: What Is A God? by Kay17: 12:54am On Oct 24, 2014
PastorAIO:

To make it a product of any sort from our imaginations is to give too much credit to his postulation. Such a 'God' is UNimaginable even. He is merely assigning a term to the unknown and unknowable. However we don't even know how much unimaginable and unknowable stuff is out there. Is it all God? Or is God only a part of what is unimaginable and unknowable? What else can be found beyond our reality and beyond our minds?

A big epistemological problem indeed, Kay17.

Yes, and a necessary attachment to God is a strong faith, which ought to compensate for the epistemological trauma. It is almost impossible to talk about God without involving our very psychological constitution. Most of the believers, Deepsight inclusive; are adamant convicts in the existence of certainty. They can not live a life with uncertainties, a life without a destiny.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 12:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
Kay17:

Yes, and a necessary attachment to God is a strong faith, which ought to compensate for the epistemological trauma. It is almost impossible to talk about God without involving our very psychological constitution. Most of the believers, Deepsight inclusive; are adamant convicts in the existence of certainty. They can not live a life with uncertainties, a life without a destiny.

The psychological question: What is it about uncertainty that makes it so unpalatable? Why do human beings need to fabricate so much fantasies in order to eradicate the feeling of ignorance? What is the difference between the mind of the guy that can just say "I don't know and I'm comfortable with that" and the guy that say "I've got it, I know all the answers and I'll coerce everybody into agreeing with me or I'll never find rest"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is A God? by sukkot: 3:30pm On Oct 24, 2014
God means power. nothing more nothing less. it is a title not a name. ye are gods but ye will die like the children of men, meaning you have power but you will lose your power if you sin. wink

1 Like

Re: What Is A God? by Kay17: 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2014
PastorAIO:

The psychological question: What is it about uncertainty that makes it so unpalatable? Why do human beings need to fabricate so much fantasies in order to eradicate the feeling of ignorance? What is the difference between the mind of the guy that can just say "I don't know and I'm comfortable with that" and the guy that say "I've got it, I know all the answers and I'll coerce everybody into agreeing with me or I'll never find rest"?

The importance of life itself is undermined, everything seems to be at risk. That's what I understand.
Re: What Is A God? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
A God is a quality, not quantity as religious people have misinterpreted it. God,Love,Peace,Happiness,Hatred,Anger,Anxiety are qualities we attribute to subjects. A subject is describable.Qualities are felt,be it negative or positive. Examples of subjects are things we can see.

Lets say there is no Religion,God will be a form of expression. A state of alignment and bliss. Not a being,certainly not a subject of worship. God therefore is a state of mind/consciousness a subject can attain.

God of the Christians is a person who have stolen the supposed name called God,whereas lacking its qualities,such as Love,unlimited forgiveness,non judgmental ,freedom etc. Someone who really is at the state of God will be like a child. No need of worship,offering,scarifies and punishment.

Humans can become GODS when we start acting like children.

2 Likes

Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 6:48pm On May 05, 2016
Possibly… anyone who has any dominion over any part of the universe no matter how small is a god.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 7:09pm On May 20, 2017
PastorAIO:
Possibly… anyone who has any dominion over any part of the universe no matter how small is a god.

Thus was the matter concluded.
Re: What Is A God? by Akiintom: 7:15pm On May 20, 2017
PastorAIO:

Is the operative word "dominion" synonymous with "influence"?
Re: What Is A God? by matrix600(m): 8:55pm On May 20, 2017
What a beautiful thread, I would like this thread to be reignited
Re: What Is A God? by Kay17: 10:02pm On May 20, 2017
PastorAIO:

The feeling of uncertainty is the same with anxiety
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 10:53pm On May 20, 2017
Akiintom:

Is the operative word "dominion" synonymous with "influence"?

That depends on whether you want it to or not.

Perhaps we could say that an influence makes a minor effect while a Dominus determines the whole shebang.
Re: What Is A God? by orisa37: 9:36am On May 21, 2017
PastorAIO:
What is the definition of God?  What are the divine attributes, whereby if we see them in an entity then we know that that entity is divine?

Please I would like you suggestions/opinions/pontifications.

Meanwhile, here is what I found on wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity

General Overseer Divine, Omnipotent and Omniscient, The Supreme Spirit and The Grandeur Husband of Mother Nature. Such is God.
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 9:41am On May 21, 2017
orisa37:

General Overseer Divine, Omnipotent and Omniscient, The Supreme Spirit and The Grandeur Husband of Mother Nature. Such is God.

Fail
Re: What Is A God? by Akiintom: 9:55am On May 21, 2017
PastorAIO:

That depends on whether you want it to or not.

Perhaps we could say that an influence makes a minor effect while a Dominus determines the whole shebang.

It's humanistic, to perceive my "godship" as influence, than dominion.

Dominion connotes an illusionary sense, of relative position that's is Supreme.
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 10:40am On May 21, 2017
Akiintom:

It's humanistic, to perceive my "godship" as influence, than dominion.

Dominion connotes an illusionary sense, of relative position that's is Supreme.

Perhaps it's also polytheistic.

.... non deterministic?
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 10:42am On May 21, 2017
orisa37:

Can these attributes be said of Zeus or Amadioha?
Re: What Is A God? by orisa37: 7:36am On May 22, 2017
I don't understand those words but all I said is true of Olodumare and Oduduwa.
Re: What Is A God? by orisa37: 7:41am On May 22, 2017
By satanic standard
Re: What Is A God? by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 22, 2017
A fantasy figure created by men.
Simple answer.
Re: What Is A God? by ScepticalPyrrho: 1:05pm On May 22, 2017
PastorAIO:
What is the definition of God?  What are the divine attributes, whereby if we see them in an entity then we know that that entity is divine?

Please I would like you suggestions/opinions/pontifications.
It's absolute self-deception for anyone to claim to have seen "divine attributes".
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 3:40pm On Jul 25, 2017
This subject seems to be topical at the moment. Are there any more contributions?

Johnydon22 KingEbukasblog etc
Re: What Is A God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2017
Hati13:
A fantasy figure created by men.
Simple answer.

I can create a fantasy figure like superman but I can chose not to deify it .
Re: What Is A God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2017
PastorAIO:
This subject seems to be topical at the moment. Are there any more contributions?

Johnydon22 KingEbukasblog etc

Well I think anything deified is a god . The entity with the big "G" is the necessary non contingent being behind the existence of the universe . A clearer understanding of atheism shows that the existence of the being is not rejected , its deification is .
Re: What Is A God? by Agimor(m): 4:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
God is a spirit who exists of his own self.
Re: What Is A God? by PastorAIO: 4:59pm On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Well I think anything deified is a god . The entity with the big "G" is the necessary non contingent being behind the existence of the universe . A clearer understanding of atheism shows that the existence of the being is not rejected , its deification is .

What are the differences between a being prior to deification and the same being after deification?

What is the Deification process? What does it involve?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is A God? by johnydon22(m): 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

What does it mean to deify something or someone?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Salary Scale: Whats The Salary Range For Catholic Priests & Other Clergies? / David Ibiyeomi As A White Garment Pastor (pix) / How Did You Spend Your Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.