Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,679 members, 7,809,574 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? (1920 Views)

Did Jesus spend 3 days in the tomb? Father Ugwu explains / Why Did Jesus Spend Just Two Instad Of Three Days In The Grave / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by MuttleyLaff: 5:29pm On Apr 21, 2019
frbona:
doesn't add up to 3days and 3nights
No logic can satisfy this particular question
Admit it, Christianity is flawed
You are totally right in saying "Christianity is flawed" because Christianity flawed how it adds up to 3 days and 3 nights

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by MuttleyLaff: 5:33pm On Apr 21, 2019
paxonel:
you are absolutely right on this.
But like i said before, it is really not necessary to follow the accurate calculation you presented here and make it thusday.
Why?
Because friday is already widely accepted even though the calculation was wrong.
Quite a lot of things, such as validating, spreading and promoting obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing is widely accepted even though this calculation is totally wrong, yet it is voiced against
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by JoanOluchi(f): 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2019
PAGAN9JA:

is he a loaf of bread to rise? or is he a zombie from the aemy of undead?

Attention Seeking Pagan undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by TVSA: 6:56pm On Apr 21, 2019
so it was Thursday we weren't supposed to eat meat? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by sagenaija: 11:03pm On Apr 21, 2019
“Three days and three nights” is not a figurative phrase, but refers to literal three days and three nights. John 2:19: “In three days”; Mark 8:31: “after three days”; Luke 24:46: “on the third day” all mean what is stated – 3 literal days. Comparing this to Jonah’s experience should further tell us that that no figurative use is implied. Knowing that Jesus rose sometime before Sunday morning, using the Judean or Gentile calendar, we can count backwards and arrive at when the three days and three nights were.

A number of things were coming together at this time. There was the Passover and the preparations for it. Jesus – the Passover Lamb – had to be slain when the Jewish Passover was being celebrated. The day after the Passover was regarded as a “high day” – an annual sabbath – celebrated much like the weekly sabbath – no serious work is to be done: Leviticus 23:5-7. So, two sabbaths were in this period of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection.

Knowing that these “sabbaths” were in this period should help understand the timeline involved in the three days and three nights covered in the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Much like Christmas what the Church is doing is to MARK the events and not necessarily to identify the exact dates or timeline.
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by aribitoye(m): 1:04am On Apr 22, 2019
Jesus died on a Wednesday and rose on Saturday evening. 3days, 3 nights. Like the previous poster rightly said, there were 2 Sabbaths during Jesus crucifixion. Please try to read the Bible between lines with understanding. The widely accepted Friday to Sunday morning doctrine is false!
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by MuttleyLaff: 10:55am On Apr 22, 2019
TVSA:
so it was Thursday we weren't supposed to eat meat? grin grin
If you are catholic christian, yes

sagenaija:
“Three days and three nights” is not a figurative phrase, but refers to literal three days and three nights. John 2:19: “In three days”; Mark 8:31: “after three days”; Luke 24:46: “on the third day” all mean what is stated – 3 literal days. Comparing this to Jonah’s experience should further tell us that that no figurative use is implied. Knowing that Jesus rose sometime before Sunday morning, using the Judean or Gentile calendar, we can count backwards and arrive at when the three days and three nights were.

A number of things were coming together at this time. There was the Passover and the preparations for it. Jesus – the Passover Lamb – had to be slain when the Jewish Passover was being celebrated. The day after the Passover was regarded as a “high day” – an annual sabbath – celebrated much like the weekly sabbath – no serious work is to be done: Leviticus 23:5-7. So, two sabbaths were in this period of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection.

Knowing that these “sabbaths” were should help understand the timeline involved in the three days and three nights covered in the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Much like Christmas what the Church is doing is to MARK the events and not necessarily to identify the exact dates or timeline.
Yep, you are on point on all your account(s)

aribitoye:
Jesus died on a Wednesday and rose on Saturday evening. 3days, 3 nights. Like the previous poster rightly said, there were 2 Sabbaths during Jesus crucifixion. Please try to read the Bible between lines with understanding. The widely accepted Friday to Sunday morning doctrine is false!

No sire, a ribitoye, because the Jewish day begins and ends at sundown, as in, the time in the evening when the sun disappears or daylight fades. Jesus was on the cross by 9:00am, died by 3:00pm Thursday day and was buried on same Thursday day before sundown
cc p axonel

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by paxonel(m): 12:33pm On Apr 22, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
If you are catholic christian, yes

Yep, you are on point on all your account(s)

No sire, aribitoye, because the Jewish day begins and ends at sundown, as in, the time in the evening when the sun disappears or daylight fades. Jesus was on the cross by 9:00am, died by 3:00pm Thursday day and was buried on same Thursday day before sundown
cc paxonel
i have said it.
It wount do anyone good to observe accurate calculations on this issue, just like it will not do anyone good to obtain the actual day Jesus was given birth to based on calculations.
Friday and sunday are already fixed and widely accepted for the celebration of jesus crucifixion and resurrection respectively, just like 25 th december is fixed and widely accepted for christmas.
No amount of accurate calculations can change these fixed dates, because changing these dates will not change anything.
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by MuttleyLaff: 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2019
paxonel:
i have said it.
It wount do anyone good to observe accurate calculations on this issue, just like it will not do anyone good to obtain the actual day Jesus was given birth to based on calculations.
Friday and sunday are already fixed and widely accepted for the celebration of jesu mois crucifixion and resurrection respectively, just like 25 th december is fixed and widely accepted for christmas.
No amount of accurate calculations can change these fixed dates, because changing these dates will not change anything.
This is exactly why I keep saying if more Christians read their Bible properly, they'd be less Christians taking Good Friday and 25th December as make beliefs, just as much like the tooth fairy and Santa Claus arent real.

It is Constantine or Catholic Christians and their lackeys, that will hold on to these lies after knowing the fact and truth

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by TMemos: 1:07pm On Apr 22, 2019
aribitoye:

Friday to Sunday morning is false?

I'm happy you're admitting this.

But what's the authority supporting it? What's the proof?
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by paxonel(m): 1:21pm On Apr 22, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
This is exactly why I keep saying if more Christians read their Bible properly, they'd be less Christians taking Good Friday and 25th December as make beliefs, just as much like the tooth fairy and Santa Claus arent real.

It is Constantine or Catholic Christians and their lackeys, that will hold on to these lies after knowing the fact and truth
whether the dates or calculations are right or wrong so long the celebrations are uniting christians worldwide and are great sources of happiness and consolation we dont mind but keep observing the dates and celebrations annually.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by MuttleyLaff: 1:31pm On Apr 22, 2019
paxonel:
whether the dates or calculations are right or wrong so long the celebrations are uniting christians worldwide and are great sources of happiness and consolation we dont mind but keep observing the dates and celebrations annually.
Validating, spreading and promoting the doctrine of obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing unites Christian worldwide and are great sources of happiness and consoltion to the beneficiaries but you who do mind, dont pay this same obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised. What is going on here, why not be consistent, behave in the same way and have the same attitude towards paying obligatory or giving imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing, huh?

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by paxonel(m): 4:51pm On Apr 22, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Validating, spreading and promoting the doctrine of obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing unites Christian worldwide and are great sources of happiness and consoltion to the beneficiaries but you who do mind, dont pay this same obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised. What is going on here, why not be consistent, behave in the same way and have the same attitude towards paying obligatory or giving imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing, huh?
obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing has nothing to do with good fridays, easter sundays and christmas.
I mean, i am a christian. I celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus christ on a fixed date all other christians are celebrating it world wide but i dont pay or collect tithe and no one can force me to pay or collect tithe.
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by MuttleyLaff: 7:39pm On Apr 22, 2019
paxonel:
obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing has nothing to do with good fridays, easter sundays and christmas.
I mean, i am a christian. I celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus christ on a fixed date all other christians are celebrating it world wide but i dont pay or collect tithe and no one can force me to pay or collect tithe.
Wasnt it you who said:
"whether the dates or calculations are right or wrong so long the celebrations are uniting christians worldwide and are great sources of happiness and consolation we dont mind but keep observing the dates and celebrations annually" huh?
Are you cherry-picking of facts and doing pick and choose ni?

Well obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing unites christians worldwide and they too are fixated on celebrating this aberration, but you knowing the truth about it, are not joining in their company behaving badly now.

We see no celebration of Easter nor Christmas in the New Testament. Easter, a pagan festival and Christmas celebration are uniting Christians worldwide into damnation, especially them that have come into the knowledge of this information and still unrepentant

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by paxonel(m): 1:02am On Apr 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Wasnt it you who said:
"whether the dates or calculations are right or wrong so long the celebrations are uniting christians worldwide and are great sources of happiness and consolation we dont mind but keep observing the dates and celebrations annually" huh?
Are you cherry-picking of facts and doing pick and choose ni?
i am a christian! I seek for the unity and happiness of christians worldwide, not tithing.
If some christians are tithing, thats their own cup of tea. But their actions will not stop me praying for their unity and happiness with other christians who dont pay tithe.
If christmas, good friday and easter sunday are uniting everyone then it is my joy.

Well obligatory or imposed ecclesiastical monitised tithing unites christians worldwide and they too are fixated on celebrating this aberration, but you knowing the truth about it, are not joining in their company behaving badly now.
because obligatory or imposed ecclesiastial monitised tithing are illegal and unscriptural financial distortion from ignorant unperceived christians that is what is making it bad. The negative effect.

We see no celebration of Easter nor Christmas in the New Testament. Easter, a pagan festival and Christmas celebration are uniting Christians worldwide into damnation, especially them that have come into the knowledge of this information and still unrepentant
but there are no substancial negative effect, therefore you cant say because it unscriptural or pagans started it first, therefore it is leading into damnation. Your argument do not follow that way.

In africa today, are there not christians who dressed like africans even to churches to glorify God?
Did dressing that way not originated from african pagans long before christianity came to africa?

Are there negative effects of christians dressing like african pagans?
I dont think so

Why are you people bendneck at trying to alter what fate has already design?
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by RandomGuy48: 2:26am On Apr 23, 2019
The confusion comes from the fact the term "day and a night" were not used back in the 1st century the same way they are used now. Nowadays, one understands that phrase to be a full 24 hours, but that was not the case back then. To Jews at the time, part of a day counted as a full day, as these quotes from the Talmud show:

Pesachim 4a: "the legal status of part of the day is like that of an entire day."

Shabbat 9.3: "A day and a night constitute a span, and part of a span is equivalent to the whole of it."

Thus according to their measure of time, a burial on Friday and resurrection on Sunday would count as a duration of 3 days and 3 nights.
Re: Did Jesus Spend 3 Days And 3 Nights As He Promised? by Kobojunkie: 6:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
TMemos:
There is a big question hanging on crucifixion. Jesus said he was going to spend 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth just as Jonah spent 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the fish. Jesus was crucified on Friday. He was said to have risen on Sunday. This cannot be up to 3 days and 3 nights. The prophecy was not fulfilled and this is a big doubt on crucifixion and the entire Christian faith. He spent two nights and a day!
Let's see, shall we tongue

He died on Thursday Afternoon, so He was there Friday morning & afternoon and Saturday morning & afternoon and part of Sunday morning. He was also there in the grave Thursday night, Friday Night, and Saturday Night. And He made certain he rose on the third day and not the fourth. So, yes, He was in there for 3 days(mornings and afternoons) and 3 nights. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Olukoya Donates Buildings To School / Touch Not My Anointed And Do My Prophet No Harm? / Christianity And Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.