Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,605 members, 7,958,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 05:22 AM

A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi (1742 Views)

Prof. Pat Utomi Endorses Buhari For Presidency / Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by Pain(m): 12:15pm On May 01, 2007
This struggle is now my life
By Pat Utomi

AS we reflect on dozens of lives lost in protest of election rigging, billions of Naira expended on campaigns even as many of our compatriots are dehumanised by dreadful poverty, it is important to extend gratitude, and commit afresh to the struggle on the long road to freedom for Nigeria.

When about a year ago I gave up all income, stepped down from boards and committed to seeking votes for the presidency many thought it was a three month quest to prove a point. It turned out to be a grueling venture that involved at least three near death experiences, thousands of miles of road and air travel and a discovery of a country I thought I knew well. For the privilege of such remarkable personal growth I owe much gratitude to so many. To the Governors who gave me warm welcome in their Government Houses, the thousands of citizens who welcomed me to rural village squares; traditional rulers from Sokoto to Gombe, Oloibiri to Benin and Ife to Biu. They taught me that tradition has been updated by men of great exposure who have taken up the thrones of their ancestors. Surely I cannot be the same because they crossed my path.

I learnt a long time ago that I grow from acknowledging that I have made mistakes in the past. Traversing this country deepened my recognition that I could do many things that I had done in the past differently. This Return on Experience (ROE) was more valuable than any investments I had ever made. For this immeasurable gain I will never be able to say thank you enough.

I set out to run a campaign on issues, avoid casting aspersions that take away from the dignity of any person. I am pleased that I was significantly able to stay the chosen course. But this happened with the help of friends, staff persons and men of goodwill at home and in the Diaspora. My debt of gratitude can only be paid through continuous sacrificial service to Nigerians, especially those less fortunate than I. To say that politics, especially in the kind of presidential system we run, cost a lot of money, is to state the obvious. While we push for reform that should place a cap that is measurable on campaign finance, I want to thank immensely friends and well wishers who sent generous cheques, particularly the poor woman who truly gave a widow's mite of N500. I know it is more generous than the N5,000,000 cheques from some more endowed compatriots.

Criss-crossing Nigeria put my conscience to the test regarding what must be done to rescue our country. After some challenging reflections I have had to conclude that the rest of my life will have to be dedicated to directing Nigeria away from the road to serfdom that we currently travel unto navigating the lanes to liberation. I can see clearly from the vantage point of becoming involved in politics, the troubling crossroads we stand on, as a crisis of values we have long lamented, moves Nigeria ever so close to the precipice. The least I can do, in the circumstance, is quit my day job and dedicate the rest of my life to this struggle. I am convinced that the struggle as my life is worthwhile venture.

The struggle will be aimed largely at keeping the man-in-the-street, middle class professional people, and the youth ever committed to the quest in advance of the Common Good for change. The pain of seeing so many middle class people come out to vote on April 14 and witnessing their retreat on April 21 after it became clear their votes were not allowed to count increases the essence of the struggle. It is time to say thank you and to roll up our sleeves, like Nehemiah, to rebuild the falling walls of Nigeria. No one can go through what I have experienced this last year and be the same, if they have a sensitive conscience. The sacrifice of total commitment therefore comes easy. As soon as the period of reflection is over with the rainy season, we shall begin a nationwide "Thank you" tour, traveling the same very path we traced during the campaigns to personally say how grateful we are for the privilege of sharing our vision of a new Nigeria with you, whether Maurice Iwu bother to count your votes or not. I know you heard me and I felt your pain.

During the tour we will begin to put in place through Private Development Agencies (PDAs), sometimes called NGOs platforms for implementing some initiatives we promised for uplifting the human condition, in places where we made such promises. The two key targets of the initiatives are poverty and ignorance through ideas that confront the crisis of values that is crippling Nigeria, and the poverty of ideas that leave people so deep in want that a ripple can drown. We hope the flame imagined possibilities will be kept alive. Indeed Nigerians have no business being poor.

* Professor Utomi is ADC Presidential Candidate for 2007

Source : http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article03/010507
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by McKren(m): 1:03pm On May 01, 2007
Now someone is begining to reason along my lines. The journey for 2011 starts here  and now. Not going to sleep only to re-emerge 3 months to next general elections and hope to unsit the ruling party.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by Afam(m): 10:17am On May 03, 2007
2015 will be more like it. We cannot rule out 8 years for the incoming administration.

Publicity stunts don pay am sha.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by DisGuy: 10:25am On May 03, 2007
Before then he can do something tangible in politics- the real opposition with credible people around him not Buhari and Atiku
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by Afam(m): 11:57am On May 03, 2007
Pain:

This struggle is now my life
By Pat Utomi

When about a year ago I gave up all income, stepped down from boards and committed to seeking votes for the presidency many thought it was a three month quest to prove a point. It turned out to be a grueling venture that involved at least three near death experiences, thousands of miles of road and air travel and a discovery of a country I thought I knew well.

Did he really give up all income? If yes, how does he maintain himself and his family?

Is he living on charity or what?

Nigerians need to be communicated to in very clear and truthful terms especially when these people seek to lead us.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by DisGuy: 12:15pm On May 03, 2007
i dont think he meant that literally and if he did he has enough money to sustain his family during the campaign period, he will probably be back on board most of those companies very soon pady pady style.

Im sure he gained alot from leaving his normal territory and 'criss-crossing nigeria'
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by laudate: 12:54pm On May 03, 2007
The guy needs to build a base at the grassroots level. Even if all the elites vote for him in 2011 or whenever, he won't get there without the support of the masses.

He also needs to get into active service & make some solid, positive contributions that will serve as a reference point for future generations. Networking is also critical. He should build strong alliances with all sections & ethnic regions of Nigeria, too.

Take the late M.K.O Abiola for instance. The guy had a formidable campaign machinery, when he ran for elections in 1993. The late Shehu Yar'adua also had a solid team & a well-defined strategy, which Atiku Abuabkar inherited after he died & put at the disposal of OBJ, during the 1999 elections. Pat Utomi needs to learn how they did it.

Campaigns on cyberspace do not win elections. People do. Either by voting (or rigging). Please note: am not saying he should learn how to rig. But he should learn that political elections are not won by 'word of mouth', but by solid concerted effort which starts with long-term preparation, many months or even years, before the actual event.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by Beline(f): 12:55pm On May 03, 2007
Afam:

Did he really give up all income? If yes, how does he maintain himself and his family?

Is he living on charity or what?

Nigerians need to be communicated to in very clear and truthful terms especially when these people seek to lead us.

I think what he mean by giving up all income is not taking active part in all his businesses
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by Afam(m): 12:58pm On May 03, 2007
The statement is at best misleading and we need people that can communicate properly to Nigerians.

Literally or otherwise he could have done without such fanciful or elegant statement.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by DisGuy: 1:19pm On May 03, 2007
Afam:

The statement is at best misleading and we need people that can communicate properly to Nigerians.

Literally or otherwise he could have done without such fanciful or elegant statement.

During the tour we will begin to put in place through Private Development Agencies (PDAs), sometimes called NGOs

probably the reason he got fewer votes to some candidates, he chose to use youtube and foreign platforms in a country where only about 5million people had access to the internet.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by doncartel: 2:32pm On May 03, 2007
My advice to prof is begin to position for 2015 wen asorock will be zoned to south east/south south.Not a bad campaign at all this year.Now learn from it,especially the vote protection and rigging resistance aspects.U may need couple lessons from Kalu and Tinubu as well as some more practicals in 2011
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by otokx(m): 2:45pm On May 03, 2007
the guy should build a strong political structure, helping the masses while neglecting the other will only send him to his grave earlier.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by DisGuy: 3:02pm On May 03, 2007
doncartel:

My advice to prof is begin to position for 2015 when asorock will be zoned to south east/south south.Not a bad campaign at all this year.Now learn from it,especially the vote protection and rigging resistance aspects.U may need couple lessons from Kalu and Tinubu as well as some more practicals in 2011

Zoning will be out of nigerian politics by 2011, by then it would be the best candidates but people will vote according to their tribe and some candidates will loose out wink
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by feelgood(m): 10:50pm On May 03, 2007
I admire Utomi's guts but he shd forget about the presidency in his lifetime. After yar Adua, it is core south south.
Utomi calls himself a south south man but actually identifies with ohaneze and attends their mtgs. Donald DUKE for presido come 2015
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by McKren(m): 12:22am On May 04, 2007
Utomi calls himself a south south man but actually identifies with ohaneze and attends their mtgs.

Is Ohaneze a geopolitical zone ??

If you truly love Duke please do not associate with such comments cos you will simply be destroying his chances by doing that.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by streetcyph: 1:04am On May 04, 2007
@ feelgood, i think its time we faced reality. nigerian politics will not allow for a president from the south-south.

it is a minority in the nigerian population. and in nigeria, we practice a form of regional politics. the north will alwayys field a candidate, and a northern candidate will always score higher numbers than a south-south president

the battle for the next president is actually between the south west and the south east.

the next 2 years will be critical, and here's why

1. in the south east, there is a power tustle going on there. with orji uzo capturing imo and abia, he has all he needs to begin an ascent into being arguably the most powerful person in that region of nigeria. hate him or love him, orji uzo kalu's role in ohaneze politics in the coming years cannot be undermined. patrick utomi MUST get the igbo political class to raly around him. it is unlikely that uzo kalu will run again, so pat utomi needs to start planting the seeds from today.

2. the south west is going to be obasanjo and his machinery. it is not forseeable that tinubu, being that he no longer wields much influence outside of lagos, will be able to impact the south west the way we thot he would last october. unfortunately, they had weak candidates in the whole south west, so the stronghold belongs to obj-for now.

2011, our next president will come from either south west or south east. it is a reality.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by Dreloaded(f): 1:14am On May 04, 2007
your reading of the situation is wrong, the contest for the next president will be between the SE and the SS.

first of all PPA only 'won' in Imo because their candidate 'wrote' a letter to the PDP that he would 'defect' after the victory - since the PDP had no candidate over the Ararume/Ugwuh matter, they decided to go for the PPA man and rig him into office, rather than have Agbaso of APGA turn into another Peter Obi whom they will be unable to convince to 'come and chop' in the PDP

Secondly, this same 'minority' reasoning is why everyone expected a SE person to be VP, that Nigeria only stands on the tripod of North West and East, if there is anything I will give Obj, it is that he has reduced the effects of tribal politics, at least in the PDP despite attempts by Kalu and a few others to maintain status quo. In 8 years, even the most optimistic SW candidate will not dream of becoming president, it won't happen.

The main crux of the issue is how well Jonathan performs in office, his ambitions and his relationship with Yar'Adua. If he succeeds in handling these three issues well, he might well be the candidate to beat come 2015, especially if the Y-J administration deals with the ND issue and resolve it.

The second important characteristic is: will the SE ever speak with one voice? presently Kalu wants to be that voice, but his position outside of PDP is a great disadvantage, Ken Nnamani who also made a name for himself has automatically removed himself from reckoning, at least for now, since he has no base even in his home state. Chimaroke may be able to stake a good challenge, since he will be in the senate and will still be in the scheme of things.
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by doncartel: 10:26am On May 04, 2007
Dis Guy:

Zoning will be out of nigerian politics by 2011, by then it would be the best candidates but people will vote according to their tribe and some candidates will loose out wink
pls dont dream of nigerians giving up tribalism and zoning anytime in this century.as you said,even the best candidates will hav to b further qualified from the tribal angle to stand any chance whatsoever.if we do away wit zoning,u may find every village at asorock in 2015[even if only we nairaland ppl were allowed to vote]
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by feelgood(m): 1:25pm On May 04, 2007
Agree with u-re loaded, but I still believe Donald Duke will be the guy to beat except he doesnt want to contest. Of course tribal politics will still play a great role in Nigeria for a long time to come
Re: A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi by redsun(m): 6:58pm On May 06, 2007
Change comes to those that wants it,you can't change people that are not ready to change,the people got to understand what change is all about,that it is their right to live happily in their country and go for it,so that when they see a corrupt official,instead of giving chieftancy title,he should be stoned.Politicians are servants not masters,they are there to serve the people not to loot.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Your Friend Or Your Enemy? / Breaking News !: President Of Guinea Bissau Assassinated / Interview With Soludo, Andy And Chris Uba, Ojukwu, Obi, Ekwueme And Ngige.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.