Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism (954 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / This Is Terrible News From India! Let's Rise Up Against It Before It's Too Late! / It's Time To Rise Above The Murky Aqua Of Political Jingoism.-Patrick Obahiagbon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by jason12345: 1:36am On Sep 17, 2010
I know people would click on this trend cause of the topic. grin

But seriously, guys. lets find a way to move forward from tribal bashing. yes, the yoruba have Lagos (commercial center)and my igbos and hausa brothers have Onisha (the manufacturing capital of most Nigerian products) and Abuja ( the most beautiful city in nigeria) respectively. the sooner we move forward from our founding fathers ideas (which were based on tribalism and superiority) the better. I mean, 10 yrs ago we were the regional power ( no offence to the other countries) but now other countries are rising up even Ghana ( no offence to Ghana). From my observations, we would soon become the laughing stock of the world unless we put our house in order. Bkbabe, pls be reasonable if you want to post here. smiley
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Nobody: 2:00am On Sep 17, 2010
jason12345:

But seriously, guys. lets find a way to move forward from tribal bashing. yes, the yoruba have Lagos (commercial center)and my igbos and hausa brothers have Onisha (the manufacturing capital of most Nigerian products) and Abuja ( the most beautiful city in nigeria) respectively. the sooner we move forward from our founding fathers ideas (which were based on tribalism and superiority) the better. I mean, 10 yrs ago we were the regional power ( no offence to the other countries) but now other countries are rising up even Ghana ( no offence to Ghana). From my observations, we would soon become the laughing stock of the world unless we put our house in order. Bkbabe, pls be reasonable if you want to post here. smiley
shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

*Runs to the kitchen to get my cabin biscuit and koolaid*
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Ikengawo: 6:14am On Sep 17, 2010
this thread blows meat.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by EzeUche22(m): 6:29am On Sep 17, 2010
OP you are just inviting the beast know bk.babe to come in here. angry
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 17, 2010
you are right but alot of Nigerians hardly listen to the voice of reason they prefer to squabble over irrelevant issues.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by chosen04(f): 9:10am On Sep 17, 2010
jason12345:

At the Bolded

I have a serious doubt if you actually know nigeria very Well.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by CareTaker1(m): 9:55am On Sep 17, 2010
Yea, i actually thought this thread was about tribal bashing,

and my answer/response was going to be ,

Yoruba Vs Igbo Vs Hausa = Nigeria, Unity, Success, Progress, Advancement, Future.

I choose to ignore narrow minded failures angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by saintneo(m): 10:13am On Sep 17, 2010
Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry

Fight angry
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by bkbabe97y(m): 10:25am On Sep 17, 2010
jason12345:

Bkbabe, pls be reasonable if you want to post here. smiley

Ah, I see, another of my admirers! Clearly, someones been feinding for my diyyck; I pass tho. not only am I not interested cus ur name's "Jason", but I also promised wifie that this weekend belongs to her alone. So, in hindsight, go fucxk urself. Was that a "REASONABLE" enough post for u, ho?
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by jason12345: 12:21pm On Sep 17, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Ah, I see, another of my admirers! Clearly, someones been feinding for my diyyck; I pass tho. not only am I not interested cus your name's "Jason", but I also promised wifie that this weekend belongs to her alone. So, in hindsight, go fucxk urself. Was that a "REASONABLE" enough post for u, ho?

whatever you say!!! i did'nt mean any offence.
Care-Taker:

Yea, i actually thought this thread was about tribal bashing,

and my answer/response was going to be ,

Yoruba Vs Igbo Vs Hausa = Nigeria, Unity, Success, Progress, Advancement, Future.

I choose to ignore narrow minded failures angry angry angry

chosen04:

At the Bolded

I have a serious doubt if you actually know nigeria very Well.

what i have noticed is that most 'fake' products come from there. this people just need a little investment thats all.i mean, i some of my 'Aba' made stuff were of good quality when i was in Nigeria. this people are industrious. every ethnic group has what they contribute to the country we r all just oblivious to this cause of our stereotypical nature.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by bkbabe97y(m): 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2010
jason12345:

whatever you say!!! i did'nt mean any offence.

Pseudo-apology accept. However, I meant to offend when I said u should go fucxkk urself!
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 1:27pm On Sep 17, 2010
Listen Guys, if we want to be honest with each other, the brits didn't create Nigeria to work. we are different people with different values, custom, history, language etc . How can we then be one nigeria? its like putting the french, the brits and the germans in one area and then say, let's have a united country.

Our founding fathers did not believe in one nigeria. they just knew it ain't gonna work. Look around africa and what do you see? From sudan to congo, From ethopia to Malawi. From Nigeria to Zimbabwe, its the same system of divide and rule in existence. Look at the hutus and the tutsi- they were one and same people until the belgians classifies them into 2 groups just to make it easier for them to rule over the people. Now, decades after gaining independence from the belgians, the people are still killing each other. when the hutus are in power, they massacre the tutsis and vice versa.

Look at us, 50 yrs after independence and we 're still at each other's throats. the igbos hates the yorubas and vice versa, ditto igbos and hausa ati bebelo. instead of wasting our emotional, natural and human resources trying to get one over the other group, why don't we revert back to how it was, before '66- federalism? let each region take care of its own development. that's is if we have to be One Nigeria.

This centralised form of govt. ain't working and it won't work, not in a million years of sunday. Now the igbos want a shot at the the presidency, come 2015 and rightly so. Afterall, they are Nigerians, ain't they? Herein lies our quandary. the nation was built on mediocrity hence we are not going anywhere, fast.

Are we really that dumb? Africa is blessed with loads of mineral and human resources. There is enough to go round, so why then are we killing each other whilst outsiders come in and take our resources away to cater for their own people? The same system they used to carry away millions of our forefathers into slavery is still being utilised, extantly. we are all blacks- the original inhabitants of this planet Earth. Enough of this "my tribe is better than yours". if we can't live together, let's go our seperate ways. Haba! afterall we 're not siamese twins. even they (albeit co-joined by nature) were seperated by nuture and went on to live seperate and fulfilling lives.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Dede1(m): 2:01pm On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

Listen Guys, if we want to be honest with each other, the brits didn't create Nigeria to work. we are different people with different values, custom, history, language etc . How can we then be one nigeria? its like putting the french, the brits and the germans in one area and then say, let's have a united country.

Our founding fathers did not believe in one nigeria. they just knew it ain't gonna work. Look around africa and what do you see? From sudan to congo, From ethopia to Malawi. From Nigeria to Zimbabwe, its the same system of divide and rule in existence. Look at the hutus and the tutsi- they were one and same people until the belgians classifies them into 2 groups just to make it easier for them to rule over the people. Now, decades after gaining independence from the belgians, the people are still killing each other. when the hutus are in power, they massacre the tutsis and vice versa.

Look at us, 50 yrs after independence and we 're still at each other's throats. the igbos hates the yorubas and vice versa, ditto igbos and hausa ati bebelo. instead of wasting our emotional, natural and human resources trying to get one over the other group, why don't we revert back to how it was, before '66- federalism? let each region take care of its own development. that's is if we have to be One Nigeria.

This centralised form of govt. ain't working and it won't work, not in a million years of sunday. Now the igbos want a shot at the the presidency, come 2015 and rightly so. Afterall, they are Nigerians, ain't they? Herein lies our quandary. the nation was built on mediocrity hence we are not going anywhere, fast.

Are we really that dumb? Africa is blessed with loads of mineral and human resources. There is enough to go round, so why then are we killing each other whilst outsiders come in and take our resources away to cater for their own people? The same system they used to carry away millions of our forefathers into slavery is still being utilised, extantly. we are all blacks- the original inhabitants of this planet Earth. Enough of this "my tribe is better than yours". if we can't live together, let's go our seperate ways. Haba! afterall we 're not siamese twins. even they (albeit co-joined by nature) were seperated by nuture and went on to live seperate and fulfilling lives.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did the doctor change your medication overnight? I could not believe such a well thought out article, especially the first paragraph, could come from you. T9ksy, you have earned your stripe.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 2:26pm On Sep 17, 2010
Posted by: Dede1
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did the doctor change your medication overnight? I could not believe such a well thought out article, especially the first paragraph, could come from you. T9ksy, you have earned your stripe

Dede, i will ignore ur sarcasm as i know u just can't help urself. At any rate, i wrote up there is not rocket science. Like my people says "what d young man cannot see standing, a wise old man can see sitting down".

Things worked in the various regions before the mishap of '66 when Ironsi gave us centralised govt.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by hercules07: 2:29pm On Sep 17, 2010
I do not think we can go back to confederation, I will rather we practise true federalism with a center taking care of foreign affairs and so on. I do not really take BK too seriously because I believe behind that exterior, he is just having fun.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 2:39pm On Sep 17, 2010
Posted by: hercules07
I do not think we can go back to confederation, I will rather we practise true federalism with a center taking care of foreign affairs and so on. I do not really take BK too seriously because I believe behind that exterior, he is just having fun.

My thought, exactly! That was what was on the ground after we attained independence from the brits until Ironsi came in and gave us the NCNC agenda- One Centralised Nigeria. Ever since, the country has been stumbling from one disaster to another. just perambulating!!!
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by udezue(m): 2:42pm On Sep 17, 2010
[b]
T9ksy:

[/b]

GBAM
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Dede1(m): 3:08pm On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

Dede, i will ignore your sarcasm as i know u just can't help urself. At any rate, i wrote up there is not rocket science. Like my people says "what d young man cannot see standing, a wise old man can see sitting down".

Things worked in the various regions before the mishap of '66 when Ironsi gave us centralised govt.

My initial post was more of a compliment than sarcasm. You were really impressive with the piece. However, they say Leopard can not change its spots.

Ironsi did not give you centralized government as he left the regions alone. It was your Godfather, Gowon, who introduced centralized government by breaking the country in states with powerful central government.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Afam4eva(m): 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2010
Hausa really don't have a problem cos other ethnicities don't see them as threats. The problem is with Igbos and Yorubas.

@ OP

No, That lagos yorubaland does not mean that it is not owned by yorubas. And how can Abuja be owned by hausas when it was built with Nigeria's money.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by jason12345: 3:23pm On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

You have a valid point.but how would the country split into regions ( what about the south -south)? what will the new 'federal goverment' do? what would happen if other ethnic groups don't want to join the regional powers? would it be spit along the rivers? if yes what would happen to Niger and adamawa state?
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by jason12345: 3:27pm On Sep 17, 2010
afam4eva:

Hausa really don't have a problem cos other ethnicities don't see them as threats. The problem is with Igbos and Yorubas.

@ OP

No, That lagos yorubaland does not mean that it is not owned by yorubas. And how can Abuja be owned by hausas when it was built with Nigeria's money.

you are right, but the reality is there has only being hausa ministers in abuja and yoruba governors in lagos ( apart from the military rule of marwa).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Abuja_Federal_Capital_Territory_ministers
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by udezue(m): 3:36pm On Sep 17, 2010
jason12345:

You have a valid point.but how would the country split into regions ( what about the south -south)? what will the new 'federal goverment' do? what would happen if other ethnic groups don't want to join the regional powers? would it be spit along the rivers? if yes what would happen to Niger and adamawa state?

And what about Nigerdelta? People make it seem like its one complicated region or its so multi-ethnic. How many ethnic nationalities do you think we have in Niger-delta and do you know the geography?
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by MaziUche0(m): 3:47pm On Sep 17, 2010
udezue:

And what about Nigerdelta? People make it seem like its one complicated region or its so multi-ethnic. How many ethnic nationalities do you think we have in Niger-delta and do you know the geography?

lol

Ogoni

Igbo

Ijaw

Ibibio (Annang, Efik)

Isoko

Urhobo

Itsekiri

Cross River Groups

I think I named them all.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 3:56pm On Sep 17, 2010
My initial post was more of a compliment than sarcasm. You were really impressive with the piece. However, they say Leopard can not change its spots.

Ironsi did not give you centralized government as he left the regions alone. It was your Godfather, Gowon, who introduced centralized government by breaking the country in states with powerful central government.  

Forget about leopards shedding his spots. Not everyone here is like you who is just spoting for some tribal mudslinging match. I state the the facts as they are. How you react to it is entirely up to you. Small-minded individuals resorts to derisions when confronted with superior argument.

We were practising true federalism with each region taking care of its developement until Ironsi "reluctantly" came to power in Jan 17th 1966 and in May 24th 1966 (4months later) without even holding a plebiscite, promulgated Decree 34 which essentially was a unification law as favoured and canvassed for by NCNC in their hitherto political manifesto.

Source=======>www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa25.htm
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 4:10pm On Sep 17, 2010
Posted by: jason12345

I hear you, jason but the status quo will never work. Everyone wants his village man in the centre regardless of whether he's capable or not. Its this form of mediocrity that's brought the nation down to her knees and make her the laughing stock of the whole world. Like i always say, imagine where the igbos will be now had they not fought that dumb war with the attendant loss of so many lives? The ingenuity the igbos produced during the war could have been channeled towards their developement. The western region too was faring well before the war even though we had our own intra-tribal disagreements, i.e most of the yorubas in the NCNC were from Ibadan who hated Awo not 'cause of his great feats in govt., but just 'cause he's an Ijebu man.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Dede1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

Forget about leopards shedding his spots. Not everyone here is like you who is just spoting for some tribal mudslinging match. I state the the facts as they are. How you react to it is entirely up to you. Small-minded individuals resorts to derisions when confronted with superior argument.

We were practising true federalism with each region taking care of its developement until Ironsi "reluctantly" came to power in Jan 17th 1966 and in May 24th 1966 (4months later) without even holding a plebiscite, promulgated Decree 34 which essentially was a unification law as favoured and canvassed for by NCNC in their hitherto political manifesto.

Source=======>www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa25.htm

Why are you twisted out of human form, pal? I salute Nowa Omogui for palatable write-ups but his works were not gospel. I do not think that Decree 34 was a progenitor of centralized government but a unification code which ironically is what we are practicing today in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by jason12345: 5:08pm On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

Posted by: jason12345
I hear you, jason but the status quo will never work. Everyone wants his village man in the centre regardless of whether he's capable or not. Its this form of mediocrity that's brought the nation down to her knees and make her the laughing stock of the whole world. Like i always say, imagine where the igbos will be now had they not fought that dumb war with the attendant loss of so many lives? The ingenuity the igbos produced during the war could have been channeled towards their developement. The western region too was faring well before the war even though we had our own intra-tribal disagreements, i.e most of the yorubas in the NCNC were from Ibadan who hated Awo not 'cause of his great feats in govt., but just 'cause he's an Ijebu man.

its not working because its is the our fathers and grand fathers generation that are running the country. am saying this because the truth is no region can work on its own and achieve GREAT success. the reason is because Lagos will not be what it is without the hausa man ( suya grin) and the igbo man's business. abuja will not be what it is without the oil from ND. Aba will not be what it is without nollywood ( who by the way is the best film industry in Africa and the third best in the world). my friends from other African countries admire Nigeria and Nigerians, they all watch our movies, listen to our songs even dance like us smiley. other countries are unifying to be stronger eg E.U. Why then should we split up.

most of the stereotype we have about each other came from our fathers and the media. we have to correct this because sooner or later, we would grow old and die.so, will this continue forever?

there is a saying ' be the change you want the world to be'.
i know its going to be difficult especially if u are a regular NLder. what do you think? am i just talking on y own?
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 5:18pm On Sep 17, 2010
Why are you twisted out of human form, pal? I salute Nowa Omogui for palatable write-ups but his works were not gospel. I do not think that Decree 34 was a progenitor of centralized government but a uniform code which ironically is what we are practicing today in Nigeria.

who is twisted and how did you come about such presumption? Did we not have true federalism before Ironsi came on the scene? Was he not warned that decree 34 was not the answer? Was it not this same decree that precipitated the May riots in the northern enclaves, 4 days later? Did you actually read the source i provided or you just gloss over it? was it not the fear of what the decree meant to the northerners that triggered the revenge coup eventually culminating in a wasteful 30 month civil war?

why did ironsi had to tinker with the form of govt in existence, then? He was right about his ignorance about govt., tho'. He should have stayed in his flippin' barracks. who clamoured for unified govt? NCNC. WHO GAVE US UNIFIED GOVT.? iRONSI-an Igboman. However way you toss it, Facts will always remain facts.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by T9ksy(m): 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2010
Jason, am sorry but i find it hard to follow your train of thoughts. R u inferring that suya is part of what makes Lagos great? I think you ought to do some readings on the accomplishments of Awo in the western region, even before we attained independence without oil money and then come back to disclose your findings.

As for Nollowood been the 3rd best in the world, hmmmmmmm, I comment my reserve![i][/i] I don't even watch the damn stuff. would rather watch the paint dry on my bedroom walls!!!

I think jason, you are expressing opinions from a very narrow prism.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by Jarus(m): 5:55pm On Sep 17, 2010
Thread retitled to pass the message better and make suitable for this section.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by komando1: 6:18pm On Sep 17, 2010
When Bkhomo says wifey he means aigbofag. Folks, with bk's announcement, the kind of bestial noises his neighbors will hear will hit the roof. So expect the dude and his boyfriend to be deported back to naija with his 'wife'.
Re: Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism by amingafar(m): 6:21pm On Sep 17, 2010
I agree witth the poster but hausas arent the only people in Abuja I like the term Northerners. I dont call myself  hausa or fulani as im mixed with different northern tribes- so i just say im from the north. But Abuja is majority run by northerners.

As for the yeribas and Lagos yes I would agree the elite there are mostly yeriba, Fashola has done quite well, Im always surprised there is never religous conflict
My first visit to ibadan was nice also

Ive never visited the SE- I dont think I plan on it either  but thats good for them what ever business they have going on in that region.

(1) (Reply)

What Jonathan Will See In Imo State From October 15th, 2010. / NSA Azazi, Ibori,Alamieyeseigha sold weapons to Niger Delta millitants / Jonathan Assures On C130 Crash Victims’ Entitlements-cleaning Ibb's Shit!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.