Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,551 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum (3206 Views)

Secondary School Girl Brings Her Entire Family To Beat Up Her Teacher / Nigerian National Curriculum For Primary Schools / The New Senior Secondary School Curriculum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum by jake44: 7:50am On Sep 17, 2010
Why is History not taught in our Secondary Schools starting from JSS 1?
The only 'history' I recall learning was from Social Studies and it was a combination of basic geology and meagre stories of Jaja of Opobo , Mary Slessor and how Mungo Park discovered river Niger for us (sigh)

With no details of Our cultural heritage, we grow up with no sense of belonging to Nigeria, No sense of patronage. We sing the National Anthem loudly but it means absolutely nothing to us. Children grow up wanting to live in 'that-country-where-beyonce-lives'. This would change somehow if we know how much our ancestors fought for the good. The pride they had in their heritage.

Who knows the Minister of Education?
Who studied History in a tertiary Institution?
Who can write a detailed and true History textbook for Secondary Schools?
and even Who wants to see better nollywood movies based on the TRUE lives of our noble ancestors?

This post is for YOU!
Re: Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum by Joarams(m): 6:58pm On Feb 16, 2011
I am interested in researching this topic. Please inform me more on the validity of the topic. Is History not actually included in the Secondary School Curriculum in the entire country? Is this peculiar to just the Junior School?
I am in need of facts that can make a research proposition evidence-based.
Re: Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum by opezz: 11:16pm On Feb 16, 2011
@op: History is included in the Nigerian syllabus, and there very good textbooks of history in the market. the problem is that there is acute shortage of its teachers, coupled with students hatred for it, i offered history in secondary sch, precisely in SS2 when a blind teacher was posted to my sch. Only 6 of us wrote it in WAEC in which i have a B3. Am having a smooth ride at the university because of my background knowledge in secondary school history.
Re: Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum by opezz: 11:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
@op: History is included in the Nigerian syllabus, and there very good textbooks of history in the market. the problem is that there is acute shortage of its teachers, coupled with students hatred for it, i offered history in secondary sch, precisely in SS2 when a blind teacher was posted to my sch. Only 6 of us wrote it in WAEC in which i have a B3. Am having a smooth ride at the university because of my background knowledge in secondary school history.
Re: Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum by opezz: 11:24pm On Feb 16, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Esut 2011/2012 Admission List Is Out / Secondary School Student Commits Suicide After His Mom Caught Him Having S*x / AAU Post Utme Department Cut Off Mark For 2013/14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.