Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,946 members, 7,863,348 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:59 PM

A Cure For Depression - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Cure For Depression (590 Views)

Nigerian "Church" In UK Selling Blackcurrent And Codliver Oil As Cancer Cure / Dealing With Depression & Suicidal Thoughts As An Atheist. logicboy Confesses. / I Need A Cure For Stammering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Cure For Depression by Yefet(m): 12:28pm On Sep 17, 2010
September 17, 2010

A Cure for Depression

By Michael Youssef, Ph.D.

The writer of Psalm 42 is disheartened. Maybe he is dealing with a problem that has continued for some time. Then he hits on a truth that changes his feelings of depression into thoughts of hope. He writes,"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God" (Psalm 42:5-6 and Psalm 42:11).

Each of us will experience feelings of rejection, fear, and hurt. For the psalmist, the heart of the problem was the need for him to feel fulfilled and not oppressed, for his feelings to be improved, and for his questions to be answered.

Emotional depression can result from anger, disappointment, or discouragement. If we dwell on these feelings, then they will consume us. If we fail to look to God in the midst of our difficulty, then we will be overwhelmed and defeated.

When you are tired and discouraged, do you find yourself thirsty for God's wisdom, guidance, and protection? If so, pray: "Lord, show me Your face. Help me to understand what I need to know about this situation and how to handle it."

If we seek God, then we will find Him (Matthew 7:cool. Despair, hatred, malice, envy, and feelings of bitterness will fade. Is there something in your life that fills you with misery? Ask for God's light to come upon you and for His truth to guide you.

Prayer: Lord, help me to understand my feelings of anxiety and concern. Help me to focus on You and not on my anger, disappointment, and distress. Shine Your light on my life as I thirst for You.

Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell (Psalm 43:3).

www.leadingtheway.org

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Worse? A Mosque Near Ground Zero Or A Church In Badagry,lagos? / Doing What He Asks / God Cares About Your Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.